Head cold- what's better or worse to eat?

SusanB.

I'm working from home today because I came down with a head cold at about 1am- hit me like a ton of bricks- and I don't want to bring my cold into the office.

I am pretty much not hungry, as in: food sounds terrible. But my stomach is rumbling and it's been 12+ hours since dinner so surely I should eat something.

My head cold go-to comfort foods were always tea with honey, graham crackers, and raspberry sorbet. Clearly those are out.

What are better vs worse things to eat when sick?

Ha ha- I just put some sweet potatoes in the oven for some mash. Glad to know I'm on the right track.

A friend might be brining over some (compliant) stew he made last night, maybe if I tell him I'm sick he'll hustle and get here? I have roasted carrots in the fridge, I bet stew on those wouldn't be half bad.

Readjusting old patterns of comfort- one of those things about Whole30 that I didn't expect at the outset, but has become a somewhat rewarding challenge.

Well, it's not a head cold anymore. I didn't eat much during the day, just couldn't stomach it. Laying the price for that now. Whatever I had decided it was a stomach bug and no food in the stomach = scary acid burns on my throat and tongue. I've never experienced anything like this, it's kind of terrifying.

I feel sick enough that I'm contemplating breaking into my stash of saltines.

I'm not a moderator but I was really sick last week and advice I got from them and from my mother who is an RN helped a lot: if you're laying on the bathroom floor level of sick you need to take care of yourself, and that includes having something, even something small, to eat. your body does not have energy to fight off an illness without food. Can you stomach some plain broth? I had a stomach thing last week during whole30 and I found it really helped a lot-- it's mild enough in taste but it has lots of nutrients in it and the liquid is easiest to digest. Eventually when i could eat solid foods, bananas and mashed sweet potatoes helped. i wanted to barf at the thought of eggs but I was able to eat an rx bar which has some egg whites in them. I know rxbars are like, stuck at work or travel emergency food, but I think being really ill and not being able to stomach the thought of eating much else counts as an emergency! Eventually I was able to work up to eating the broth with the actual chicken thighs and carrots in it (which i'd taken out at first) and that was what put me over the edge into health again! Anyway just ideas... most importantly, be sure you are drinking plenty of fluids too-- water of course and ginger tea is AMAZING for stomach issues. 

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, passed out on the floor (blacked out, woke up sweating profusely variety) level is pretty serious- although not unheard of. My mom and I were just discussing last week how we're both fainters (like, once every few years) and how scary it can be to people who aren't.

I do have some broth in the kitchen. From a carton, but compliant. Drinking (or, I presume, eating) anything hurts my throat like crazy right now because of the burned throat, but not trying to get some fluids isn't a great idea so I shall try.

Maybe I can work up to mashed sweet potato. I baked two yesterday, then really couldn't eat any once they were done.

I guess my only concern with all that right now is conditioned taste aversion- if I'm not, errrrr, "done" being sick, will it kill my happy relationship with any foods I'm trying to eat I wonder?

With something that's as bland as potatoes, I doubt it-- like I spent my childhood eating whole wheat toast when I was sick but I've never associated it with the stomach virus. Obviously I can't say for sure though. maybe try the broth first if you can, or if you can get your hands some compliant butternut squash soup that would be great, the starch in the squash would prob calm your stomach and the liquids would be easier for you to do than solid food.

if you don't want to do hot liquids you could try some good old fashioned OJ? if that's too acidic, apple juice also works. OH also, forgot to mention: I drink coconut water (no sugar added of course) after long long runs and it really helps replace electrolytes-- like gatorade, but natural and much healthier. So that might be a good option for you. 

feel better...

I'm about 80% recovered. Finally. Got back on my feet yesterday. Even went to work for a few hours today.

I can not remember the last time I took three days off of work because I was sick. I don't know if I ever have! Plus the weekend? Yikes.

Double whammy head cold then the stomach virus-whatever it was.

I tried with some mashed sweet potato. I tried with some warm broth. But I couldn't stomach either. In desperation, I decided that this was going to be the end of my 30. Some gaviscon (non-compliant because sorbitol, but utterly magic for what was ailing me) soothed the burns on my throat/tongue. Saltines kept my stomach from continuing to digest itself when I just couldn't think about anything that tasted like real food. Candied ginger kept the nausea at bay. And a little vanilla ice cream (I know, I know, but reintroduction after a previous 30 told me I was OK with dairy) just...felt cold and good.

In the end, I had a few non-compliant days, and although I'm back on the program (as of yesterday), I still have utterly no appetite and have to kind of force myself to eat. 

It was a tough choice to make, but I have recently decided that since I hadn't planned any radical change in my eating habits once I reached 30, I would just pick back up and keep chugging along. I guess that makes today 2/30.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Next time I have "just" a cold, I'll know what to do.

If I had white potatoes in the house? Would have definitely gone in that direction. But too sick to go find any, and didn't have someone available to bring me groceries until after I had passed the saltines threshold.

Honestly, I feel like my guts recovered quite quickly, all things considered. I'm crediting the fact that I had been eating healthily when I got sick - no sludgy processed foods corrupting my poor insides.

I like to keep a few serves of Silky Gingered Soup in the freezer for sick emergencies :)

Do you mean the zucchini one from Melissa Joulwan? I love vegetable soups, but made that once and it was just...I must have missed something because it was not nearly as good as I've come to expect from her recipes. Been meaning to try again - good reminder, thanks.

It's all about the bone broth that one, I'm glad I used homemade the first time I made it (I don't hate bone broth on it's own, but the smell doesn't make me want to consume a lot of it). I use chicken bone broth made from roast chicken "frames" and roasted wing bones (I keep my leftover bones until I have enough for a batch), so my broth is very tasty (roasted bones give more flavour) and high in gelatin (lots of joints).

I've never been a big soup fan, but I love this soup!

Archived