Margaret's first Whole30 log

margaretlogan7

I am so excited for Day 1 of My Whole30!! I woke up around 7am to get some readings done for class and felt super energized and genuinely happy. I'm a nursing student so I'm used to the early morning wake-ups haha. Whole30 guidelines say that it is important to eat within the hour of waking so around 8:30 I had my breakfast with a small glass of water because my tea was too hot to drink. I actually ate my breakfast in maybe 5 minutes while standing up (ways too fast) because I was running late to class, but I should've taken 15 minutes to eat and also sat down at the table to actually enjoy my food -- this will be my goal for tomorrow morning. 

8:30 Breakfast: "Breakfast Sushi" - 2 scrambled eggs + 2 egg whites, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 zucchini strips sautéed in 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 strips of turkey bacon, 1 tbsp salsa. 

Felt a little nauseous from eating too fast, wasn't sure if I was hungry or satisfied. One thing I am excited to do is to get in touch with my body's hunger cues. 

10:30 Snack: sipping on tea all morning,seasnax pack, small fuji apple

All of sudden I got that slight hunger sensation. I think its hunger?...I'm not sure. Could I eat eggs? yes. Fish? not this early in the morning. Steamed broccoli? Im not a huge fan of broccoli. More of what I ate for breakfast? YES!! SO GOOD 

11:20 feeling restless and still a little hungry. I am sitting in class still in my 9-12 lecture. Thinking of eating lunch early...

Take aways: 

*sit down and eat breakfast at the table for 15 minutes 

*add more fat to breakfast or protein - maybe one more egg and a whole avocado (not a half) 

Day 1 Part 2 

I'm at my kitchen table with warm zucchini noodles and 1/2c-3/4c meat sauce aka "Paleo Chili" sittin in my belly. I feel like a carefree, 6-year-old kid that just delighted in a bowl of mac n cheese - except for better. You know that amazing feeling of something warm and toasty filling you inside? Well, this is it. The only questions running through my mind are, Am I full?, Did I eat enough?, Will I be hungry again?, Was there a certain portion I should've eaten? 

The weird thing is by the time I got to this second paragraph, after drinking another glass of water, I feel full. I don't think I want seconds - in fact, I know that I don't want seconds! Im ready to jump out of my chair for joy - except for then all my housemates might look at we a little oddly. But they don't understand how amazing it is to actually feel SATISFIED and to know that I am full and do not want more, or else I will be stuffed. 

12:00 Lunch: romaine salad, carrots, chicken breast, 2 tbsp olive oil + vinegar = dressing

I felt satisfied with the oil dressing but I felt as though maybe my salad needed something more...

2:45 Snack: 2 hardboiled eggs 

sure enough, I was hungry again around 2 and had to eat a snack, maybe I should have put the eggs in with my salad. I need to stop being scared of fats and add a little but more to each meal

5:30 Exercisel: ran 2 miles on the treadmill (I'm training for a half-marathon! Very slowly though haha) 

8:15 Dinner: Paleo Chili - beef, tomatoes, onion, tomato sauce; 3/4 zucchini, spiralized into noodles 

Surprised that my breakfast and lunch and snacks held me over until I could finish cooking this. 

So excited for tomorrow!! Would love any help or comments :)

post-87186-0-18833700-1454550532_thumb.j

Day 2! Woke up this morning exhausted and yes...feeling hungover. I felt fatigued and as if physical weights were weighing my body down. But I'm still 100% staying on the WHOLE30 track. 

11:00 Breakfast: 4 eggs, sautéed zucchini, half an avocado, 1 chicken sausage, salsa

I felt full after I ate it, was a little overwhelmed at the amount of calories in that breakfast BUT then I was hungry again at 12:30!

12:30 Snack: 1/4 c sunflower seeds in the shell

1:00 Lunch: clementine, kale, 1 tbsp olive oil + vinegar, 1/2 serving of Chicken and Avocado Salad with Cilantro  (the recipe makes two servings)- avocado, chicken, onion, mayo (homemade), and cilantro, 1 

I think I was convinced since I had just eat, I wouldn't be that hungry....

3:00 ...Snack or Second Lunch? : romaine, 1 tbsp olive oil + vinegar, 1 portion (closed handful) of raw cashews, 1 serving of Chicken and Avocado Salad with Cilantro

HUNGRY again??!!? Or is it exhaustion. I'm not sure and at this point I'm tired of eating. Maybe it is that I didn't eat enough protein at lunch considering a 1/2 serving is just 1/2 c of chicken.I I'm so tired that I just want to nap...unfortunately I have some studying to do. 

WHY am I eating so much? Is this amount of fat normal? 

• Moderators

I saw your post asking about eating too much fat, so I looked around to see if you have a food log to get a better idea of how much you're eating. Normally, we don't moderate logs, but since you asked, I hope it's okay that I comment here.

First, please let go of counting calories. That's completely counter to what we want you to do with Whole30.

Next, if you're coming from a background of restricting calories or fat or carbs or whatever, there is a chance that initially as you start eating this way, you might gain a little bit of weight. It's okay, really. You're not going to blow up like the girl in Willy Wonka that they had to roll out of the room, but you might gain a little bit -- this is temporary. Your body is just getting used to having more food, and may hold onto things for a while until it's sure you're not going to go back to restricting. This is one reason the rules say no weighing -- we want you to give yourself time to get used to eating this way, and give your body time to adjust, and if you were to step on a scale at a time when your weight was up a little, you might freak out and go back to restricting things, and we don't want you to do that.

For your meals, try to make all of them meet the meal template. People often get hung up on the protein and fat in this way of eating, but the truth is, when you're doing it right, you're going to be eating way more vegetables than protein or fat. 1-3 cups of vegetables at every meal, even breakfast, and it's best to aim for the high side of that range. Protein is 1-2 palm-sized portions (length, width, and height of your palm), or if eggs are your only protein source, as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand. Fat is 1-2 thumb-sized portions, or a heaping handful or two of coconut flakes or olives, or half to a whole avocado, or a small, closed handful of nuts. You may be a little over that recommendation, but I don't think you're eating obscene amounts of fat or anything. Just keep making sure you're eating at least the minimum amounts of everything at your meals and try not to worry about it.

If you are truly hungry between meals -- the test for that is usually, could you eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli? -- then definitely eat, but try to make it a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. Something like sunflower seeds on their own are really easy to over eat without even realizing it, and while we want you to eat if you're hungry, we wouldn't encourage you to eat mindlessly.

The one thing I'd encourage you to do is try to eat breakfast within an hour of waking up each day. If you can't finish a whole breakfast at that point, eat as much of it as you can, and go back and finish it when you're able to. Eating within an hour of waking helps with hormones and cortisol levels, and ultimately, getting that all straightened out will help with sleep and give you more energy throughout the day. Ideally, you'll eat within an hour of waking up, and then your meals will keep you satisfied 4-5 hours, so you'll be unlikely to need to snack between meals.

Really appreciating all the positive feedback and constructive criticism/suggestions that I have received from Whole30 moderators and members!! Thank you all for your support! This forum and blog is unlike anything I've experienced in my past experiences with food. 

I finished the day with dinner at 6:30, and am hoping that I won't be hungry again, as I have tried to follow the meal template. However I am worried I may have skimped on the protein a bit...since I at a meat sauce that has other ingredients. And I may have filled up on the veggies first...

6:30 Dinner: Paleo Chili - beef (1lb in the recipe that is 5 servings = about 3 oz of hamburger meat...probably not enough protein), tomatoes, onion, tomato sauce; 1/2 zucchini, spiralized into noodles; side salad: 3 c uncooked kale, orange bell pepper, balsamic vinegar for dressing (I was worried about fat intake before receiving my feedback); small pink lady with 1 tbsp Justin's Almond Butter :) (nut butters especially almond butter and sunflower seed butters are my weakness. so i keep these foods without breaks in a separate pantry)

Sipping on tea and water, I will probably be up late tonight studying for my nursing exam Monday. 

achievements: 

*was able to go the day without counting calories on My Fitness Pall - just need to get out of that mindset 

*sat down for every single meal 

take aways:

*DRINK MORE H20!!

*follow the MEAL PLAN! especially focusing on ENOUGH protein (1-2 palm sized) first, 1-3 c Veggies second....then fats

*if needing a snack 1) ask: could i eat something bland? if yes -- protein + fat + and ideally veggies (mini meal) 

hard boiled eggs w/ carrot sticks, celery sticks w/ nut butter, laura bar w/ egg, orange pepper w/ olive oil or celery w/ guacamole dip 

Suggestion for meals tomorrow: (bigger portions)

M1 - 4 eggs, 2cups of roasted broccoli, 1 cup of zuke, whole avocado and a chicken sausage with salsa 

M2 - Large chicken breast, 3 cups of wilted kale with 1/2 an avocado and a mayo based salad dressing (ditch the fruit... if you're hungry enough to eat fruit at this point, eat more veggies)
                     M3 - 1 1/2 porkchops  with olives and sundried tomato putenesca (check labels) with roasted Butternut squash, steamed spinach.

I don't have pork chops, but I have left over chili/meat sauce and a brisket that needs to be cooked tomorrow...should probably go shopping. 

Shopping list: (so much $$ for a broke college student) 
apples (3) 
avocado (4)
various lettuces
broccoli (1 head) 
baby carrots 
eggs (to hard boil and to cook) (2) 
zucchini (3)
baby food - squash and sweet potato (good snacks and meal additives) 
butternut squash (1) 
chicken breast raw 
turkey meat 

....maybe frozen veggies are cheaper? 

P.S. This whole Whole30 thing is so much more fun than any homework or studying and I spend most of my time in the kitchen cooking now -- fingers crossed that I can keep my grades up, but atlas I'm having fun :) 

So I crashed and burned tonight..HARD. I got starved during the day and got home and went crazy on everything and anything NOT whole30. with my housemates having a bunch of ice-cream and cookies and cheese around, lets just say the temptations were too much. But clean slate!! I am starting again tomorrow - and this time I. WILL. NOT. FAIL. 

Archived