Starting Whole30 Feb 4th 2016

AmyPoor

Hi All,

My name is Amy, I live in Boston, MA. I'm starting the Whole30 tomorrow to reboot my health, nutrition, and fitness goals and in preparation for a yoga retreat to Panama, late March. I want to be the best I can be. 

Anyone else have a similar start date? Looking for a kick ass support team. 

So glad I found you guys! I'm starting tomorrow. Really wanted to start on February 1 but couldn't due to some work travel requirements. I did a whole30 last March and it was life changing. It was a challenge, but I got through and was so glad that I did. My fridge is full of compliant food and I'm ready! I'm in Austin, Tex. I'll check in here everyday! Let's do this!

Planning to start tomorrow too! Not done Whole 30 before, but we're generally organic, Paleo and sugar free, so hoping it doesn't feel too hugely different.I'm up in Alaska, stay home with my kiddos. Just loaded the fridge from Costco, went a little overboard! I'm 20lb overweight, and hugely unfit from having babies. Started a paleo diet a month ago, and to my horror lost absolutely nothing. Also felt horrific, migraines, extreme muscle spasms. Have taken just under a week off, ready to try again. Praying it works this time! Have dieted in the past and never had trouble loosing weight. I desperately want to exercise, used to be super athletic pre kids. But every time I try, even fast paced walked and jogging, I get so sore. Really really hoping whole 30 will help!

Planning to start Monday, Feb 8, but going to be very close til then. We have a birthday celebration, and going out to eat. I will do the best I can, but will have a glass of wine, so official will be Sun or Mon. Would love a support group as this is first whole 30 tho I eat near Paleo and have done detox cleanses before.

Thanks ahead for your cheers!

Hi, I started yesterday, along with my husband, and we are doing our first Whole 30. I've done a bunch of food prep, so I feel ready in that sense. But slaying the sugar dragon (my primary goal) is going to be a challenge. Would love to be part of a support group!

NorthernStarfish, I had ground pork, browned with diced onion and apples, dried sage, garlic powder and s&p, and eggs, with some pineapple and blueberries on the side. Only day 2 but I definitely find breakfast to be the hardest meal. I want my old meal of granola, milk and fruit!! I think I'm going to switch to having the prior night's leftovers for breakfast to reduce the number of meals I'm making each day. And I feel more confident in and excited by my dinner skills/choices.

Catey, that breakfast does sound good! I didn't get round to breakfast until almost lunchtime - I'm missing my breakfast in a blender bottle, I'm gunna have to get up earlier if I have to cook something! Sauted up some onions, peppers, cauliflower and broccoli, had it with a scambled egg, mixed greens and tomato. Dinner will be the Aidell's chicken sausages, roasted asparagus and butternut squash and the leftover veggie's from breakfast/lunch. Think tomorrows breakfast might be turkey burger and veggie's, and the Frittata for dinner. I feel weird having eggs for two meals in one day! Did my last weigh in for a month this morning. I'm not scale obsessed, but I do usually enjoy seeing the numbers go down when dieting!

http://laurenhartmann.com/2014/07/the-lazy-girls-guide-to-the-whole30.html

Saw this earlier on pinterest and likedher lazy breakfast and lunch. I'm probably going to do a lot of repetition.

Hey how's everyone doing? Day 2 for me. Much hungrier today but drinking lots of water and taking walks. The weekend will be hard, but I'm planning meals so I know I'll have plenty of yummy things to get me through. I'm planning on making chili for the super bowl. What are your weekend plans?

Today seemed better. Decided I'm keeping both hard boiled eggs and tuna salad prepped and on hand at all times, because they were a big help today in filling out meals.

Dinner was really good. Made beef burger patties, with sweet potato "fries", and sides of caramelized onions, roasted tomatoes, and W30 ketchup and compliant mustard as condiments. Also grilled nectarine wedges. Felt kind of silly buying nectarines in February but I love them and I figured it would help me not feel so deprived, ha.

I'm getting better at making sure to eat enough at meals. Also, reminding myself not to feel so hemmed in by thinking that everything on my plate has to "go together", as in having a similar flavor profile. My approach today was to eat to feel satisfied, and if that meant filling my plate with some oddball but appealing items, then so be it! It seemed helpful. I didn't feel as distracted by hunger in between meals today. Although my mind did wander at times to some of my usual treats/sweets. Ugh. That dang sugar dragon....

I've got chicken wings with hot sauce on the menu for tomorrow night. Trying to make it fun so the weekend doesn't drag forever.... Breakfast and lunch will be a mix of leftovers.

Good luck everybody!!

I'm struggling, migraines, muscle spasms, nausea, no appetite. Exactly what happened Jan 1st when tried to loose weight. So crazy because my diet isn't that bad normally! 90% paleo, 90% organic, don't drink soda, coffee, have processed sugar - anything I should have to detox from. And I don't get muscle spasms or migraines normally!

Definitely not the dairy, been dairy free since I was 14. It doesn't even appeal to me now! Been gluten free for years too, so not that one. The only real differences for me in whole 30 are no legumes, peanut, mayonnaise and a few other sauces and spices. Oh and Quinoa, and brown rice in gf pasta. But don't have those v often, maybe once a month. I really don't get what's so different. I tried making w30 mayo to go with my salmon at lunch, it was a massive disgusting fail! Fraid I caved and just added regular mayo, head was pounding and needed to eat something fast.

Day 5 for me today. Northern Starfish: hope things pick up for you. I made the mayo a couple of days ago and it's good, but I don't really love it. Better than nothing I supposed. We're going to try to make crabcakes for lunch and will add capers and extra lemon to the mayo to perk it up. I'm trying to stay busy so I'm not constantly thinking about food.

• Moderators

Northernstarfish -

From the couple posts I've read, I'm going to hazard a guess that you're not eating enough. The one post said you didn't have breakfast until lunchtime... and then you've said you have migraines, muscle aches and pains etc... and that it was the same as when you tried to lose weight in January.

This leads me (perhaps wrongly) to believe that you aren't eating enough in an effort to reduce your calories and lose weight.

If you would like some help, post a few days of what you've been eating along with fluid intake and we can take a look.

Also, remember that this is not a weightloss program and we don't want you starving... Please see the link in my signature below for the meal template as well as the rules and rules/recommendations.

Appetite is a funny thing... if you don't eat enough your metabolism slows down and your appetite reduces... a vicious cycle...

Also, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but regular mayo will have some of (possibly all of) the following: sugar, dairy, seed oils, soy, emulsifiers (carageenan). That's a serious bomb to throw in on day 4 or 5 of your Whole30. If you want help with mayo, google 'whole30 failed mayo' and you'll find a ton of info on how to fix your mayo and tips to make sure you never have a mayo fail again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Feb 4 starters! You guys still out there? I've been following mostly the Feb 8 thread because it seems pretty active but wanted to check in here and see how everyone was doing. Day 25! I can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel. I feel great, no problem with the food. I started spin class a few weeks ago on Saturdays so that has definitely helped me get through the weekends. I am dying for a glass of wine. Other than that, I plan to continue with the food for a while. I haven't weighed myself obviously but I know I won't be where I want to be on Saturday. We're taking a hiking trip in September and I'm so glad I've gotten a jump on my fitness. Hang in there Feb 4 peeps! We got this!!

Hey Bluetrav, I'm still here! Day 26 for me. The last week has been manageable. I think the biggest change has been my attitude. Instead of feeling deprived and annoyed, I've come to feel proud of my commitment. I feel the tiger blood in that I no longer have a mid-afternoon slump, and I feel excited and motivated to pursue certain non-food/fitness goals that I've been talking myself out of the past few months. That is really exciting for me! I don't feel as though I've lost any weight, so I think I probably won't weigh myself when I'm done, because I don't want that to feel like a failure (I don't typically do much weighing anyway, and weight loss wasn't really a goal, but would have been a pleasant side effect). I have had headaches start up the past couple of days - a dull ache in the background... Hmmmm.

Things I haven't missed: cheese, alcohol (surprised by both of these!!)

Things I have missed: still get the random temptation for a big ol' hunk of chocolate chip cookie dough! Until the past few days, still missed a bowl of granola with milk to start the day. Skim chai latte!!

Soft spots: I've probably had too much fruit and nuts generally. Trying to cut back a great deal for the rest of my W30.

At this point pondering whether to start reintroduction at day 31, or keep going.

Thanks for checking in -- good luck everybody, we're almost there!

Archived