Tigers and Turtles - 2016

Crimsann

Hi all! Headed to my Mom & Dad's today to celebrate an early Mother's Day. Then tomorrow is cooking day. My freezer is empty! I can't remember the last time I had absolutely zero containers to grab and go for meals at work. 

Just saw this in a Whole30 email, and it sounds like just what I need right now. Unfortunately, it's not coming out till October, so I think I might pre-order, but I sure wish it was ready already! It's Melissa Hartwigs "Food Freedom Now."

http://whole30.com/foodfreedom/

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning, ladies! The sun is finally with us today and we're expecting to reach 68. We have had 9 days of rain amounting to 2 inches in that time and temps in the low 50s. Normally by now its in the high 70s. I'm still wearing long yoga pants and long sleeved shirts. I hate when we have rainy days for it makes my depression worse, and my RA, and I just want to hibernate. I did make to to the gym for yoga and water aerobics every day and strength training 3 days.

Nancy, I pre-ordered the book a few days ago. If some of us get it, maybe we can discuss it as we read it. Have a fun day today.

MissLindy, I live on tidal wetlands that go into the Chesapeake Bay. Water is really high now with all the rain. I'm suirrounded by water - Chesapeake Bay, Atlantic Ocean, James River, York River, Back River - and I love going to the beach but I won't swim in any of them. I like a pool. We have one in my development that will be opening for the season at the end of the month. If it ever gets warm, I'll swim there and the Y.

(Aaaand Crimsann limps back into view)

Okay.  I have survived the week.  It wasn't pretty.  So the less said about that the better.  In a nut shell, it was the last week I should have started by baking mochacinno cupcakes for my sisters birthday and then bringing half of them home.  I can't really regret that though because they were delicious and I baked them with my niece and that in itself was the single bright note in the entire 7-day stretch! 

But it did mean I was whining to my friend just yesterday about why my pants were feeling tight and I had only eaten one or two cupcakes....a day....since Sunday.  Sigh.  So it's back to a meal plan for next week which will perhaps not be 100% W30 but will be nearly indistinguishable.  My revised plan for May, now that I'm looking at a setback at least rather than the maintain I had hoped for, is to go back to W30 for the weekdays leading up to June when I'm "scheduled" to go back to W30 for three months again.  Weekends will still be a bit more relaxed, otherwise I'm not testing/learning from this time either.  I don't want an all or nothing after life so I'm going to keep fighting for better balance. 

So, funny niece story because really...what else do you guys keep me around here for?  I don't know if I have ever even given a word sketch of myself, but one thing you should know...I'm short.  Like 5 foot zip.  And that is important for this story.  ;)

My sisters birthday was Monday, but her husband was working last weekend so she didn't really have anything fun planned to celebrate.  As you know, we talked about doing a road trip with the girls but due to lack of any chance to plan we did end up scrapping that idea at the last minute and settling for just spending most of Saturday doing some fun things at home.  As part of this, I offered to bring over all the stuff to bake cupcakes with my older niece who loves helping in the kitchen.  Being the "smart" Auntie, I decided to mostly measure and mix as much as possible of this at home so that by the time I arrived what we were doing was one step up from mixing a box mix and using canned frosting but they were still entirely homemade.  (I'm sort of picky about this, box mix is just fine to be honest, but it's like its too easy and what's the point of baking...again with the fact that I love the act as much as the result!)  I figured this would keep the flour on the ceiling potential down to a mere minimum.  I think my sister must have already told Eliana that we were going to be baking before I got there because she was rushing me right into the kitchen and ready to get to work.  I'm laying out the ingredients and I hear this "screetch-screetch" sound which is the two-year old dragging a chair into the kitchen.  The counters there are unusually high, so when she is helping, she is allowed to bring a chair in from the dining area to stand on.  So she hops up, then looks over at me (sort of the up and down thing) and then sweetly asks, "Tee-tee need a chair?"

Snort.  She just kills me.  Of course her mother (who is 5' 9" and has never been offered a chair) was passed out on the living room floor laughing.  We could have just stopped there.  I think that was probably all the "cake" she needed for the day.  But I manfully carried on despite the insults.  At least I wasn't blonde enough to dump the sugar in with the butter measuring cup and all little Missy.    I don't care if you did go running off at the sound of it clanging around yelling that "Tee-tee did it", that was ALL you. 

Yeah, still pretty much getting a stitch in my side just thinking about it, so it's worth it.  And hopefully a better week this week in all respects. 

I found a recipe for a Mojo Grilled Chicken thing that I think I'm going to make for salads for lunch next week.  The chicken itself is W30, though I may add a non-compliant dressing I don't expect to use much of it.  Usually if I warm up the chicken I don't mind that on a salad with no dressing at all or with a little guac as a dressing.  I'm going to do up another batch of deviled eggs to have with baby carrots as the evening mini meal at work, that's always a quick favorite.  While I hate to do chicken twice, I'm probably going to alternate just some basic burgers and some chicken sausage with baked potatoes and veggies.  Next week is going to be closer to normal but still really hectic and I need to set myself up for dinners that can be made in minutes at most or I know I won't be able to turn this week back around. 

Going to try and spend today doing as close to nothing as possible, maybe even an early night, and then hit the ground running tomorrow with grocery shopping and errands, some tidying up (tentative plan to start adding some exercise in gearing up towards summer means clearing that space so it feels more inviting and less cluttered), and laundry as well as some work for that Children's Miracle Network event I'm involved with this year. 

Crimsann that was hilarious - it is so nice that you get to spend such great time with your niece.

I am looking forward to Melissa's new book too.  I am keeping my diet pretty compliant except for intro of corn which went ok and beans which I think did not go ok.  However, since the weather here has been gray and rainy I will reintro beans again when weather is dry and sunny to make sure symptoms were not weather related.  In the last couple of days I think I have inadvertently had butter/margarine while eating out.  Not sure so I won't do any other intro's for a while then I want to do a structured reintro of one form of dairy at a time.

I did have a good victory today - attended a wedding, with cake of course (and I do LOVE cake and especially icing :ph34r: ) and I didn't even drool on it.  I ate before I went which certainly helped.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Just popping on to link the recipe for that Mojo Chicken because it was fabulous! 

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mojo-grilled-chicken-breasts

I nearly asphyxiated myself trying to use the cast-iron gill pan indoors, but it was worth it and you will all be happy to know that our smoke detector is in FINE working order.  :D   It got so smoky though that I did end up just leaving them in the pan long enough to get nice deep grill marks and then popped them in the oven in a glass baking dish for about 15 minutes to finish them.  This might have been less of an issue if I had flattened the chicken more before cooking so it wouldn't take so long to finish, but the end result was amazingly moist and that was even after being reheated today.  It was so good I ended up eating the chicken by itself which left me with a plain lettuce salad, lol! 

One other small tweak, I didn't have any sort of spicy red pepper near to hand so I used paprika and then added a dash of chili powder to round the flavor out a bit.  I didn't miss the heat, but it would have been tasty as well.  Also, fair warning, this recipe does contain cilantro.  The black beans they show on the side would not be W30, but I'm tempted to try them at some point down the line.

Merg and Miss Lindy, getting enough sleep is something I'm fighting with right now.  That and emotional stress are the two times when I'm most likely to reach for something "convenient" and not really good for me food. (Let's not talk about the cranky grizzly bear affect of that now, lol)  I really feel for everyone dealing with heartache and grief, have been through more than I care to remember of those - consider yourself all well hugged!  Warm wishes for better things are sent your way.  I am still behind with my catching up, but it looks like everyone has had a lot to deal with the last couple of months.

With the schedule we've suddenly been bumped up to here, I'm having to work hard to try and keep my healthy food prepped well enough to be easy to grab and eat when we finally come dragging back in. My solution for that so far has been to keep the freezer stocked with veg that can be thrown into the blender for smoothies (with egg protein and coconut milk), a variety of egg salads, plus trying to remember to cook up batches of chicken to throw into salads. There are not enough hours in the day to get everything in and get enough sleep while I'm about it. 

On the sleep side, I'm not doing so well getting my hours in. We don't get home until 7pm then have to be in the truck leaving for work by 5am the next morning.  In spite of (or because of?) coming in bone weary tired,  I am having trouble switching off at night to get to sleep, anyone got any good tips for that?  Most nights we don't even get tv turned on, just eat, shower, and bed.  Some nights I squeeze in a few minutes of screen time or a couple pages of reading.

On the plus side, even though I don't have time to exercise at home, I am back to walking over 10 miles a day at work...

And, by some miracle of scheduling, they managed to give us a two day weekend for Mother's Day.  It was very relaxing and quiet, we spent most of it on the beach or exploring countryside. :)

Merg and Miss Lindy, getting enough sleep is something I'm fighting with right now.  That and emotional stress are the two times when I'm most likely to reach for something "convenient" and not really good for me food. (Let's not talk about the cranky grizzly bear affect of that now, lol)  I really feel for everyone dealing with heartache and grief, have been through more than I care to remember of those - consider yourself all well hugged!  Warm wishes for better things are sent your way.  I am still behind with my catching up, but it looks like everyone has had a lot to deal with the last couple of months.

With the schedule we've suddenly been bumped up to here, I'm having to work hard to try and keep my healthy food prepped well enough to be easy to grab and eat when we finally come dragging back in. My solution for that so far has been to keep the freezer stocked with veg that can be thrown into the blender for smoothies (with egg protein and coconut milk), a variety of egg salads, plus trying to remember to cook up batches of chicken to throw into salads. There are not enough hours in the day to get everything in and get enough sleep while I'm about it. 

On the sleep side, I'm not doing so well getting my hours in. We don't get home until 7pm then have to be in the truck leaving for work by 5am the next morning.  In spite of (or because of?) coming in bone weary tired,  I am having trouble switching off at night to get to sleep, anyone got any good tips for that?  Most nights we don't even get tv turned on, just eat, shower, and bed.  Some nights I squeeze in a few minutes of screen time or a couple pages of reading.

On the plus side, even though I don't have time to exercise at home, I am back to walking over 10 miles a day at work...

And, by some miracle of scheduling, they managed to give us a two day weekend for Mother's Day.  It was very relaxing and quiet, we spent most of it on the beach or exploring countryside. :)

10 miles a day! (Yeah, I got more than that out of your story but, honestly--10 miles!!!) That's huge. 

Just got out of the ocean and was congratulating myself on the 30minute water walk, and a bit of actual swimming in there today,  I am going to try increasing my water time tomorrow. I can't be in the water Thursday because we are going to MIL and probably won't be back in time for the tide but am going to add more tomorrow and see how it goes, then can have a rest day on Thursday. 

Doing well with food and it seems my head is coming around to the way it needs to when I don't have the right things on hand. But still wanting more progress faster--what a spoiled wee princess I am.

Cynthia, your stocking the freezer and having things ready is really good, I can hear the exhaustion but feeding yourself nutrition dense foods is the only way you will get through I think.

I wonder if bone broth would help you sleep at night? I use it and it is so comforting. Might help you turn your brain off and drift into sleep.

Lunch is late today so have to go eat now, I find I am getting hungry at the appropriate times lately, always know when the next meal is due and don't have to remember to eat as often as I used to. Something is changing. :)

Lol, Miss Lindy the 10 miles sounds more impressive than it is when it comes to any effect on my body - it is not sustained walking, but over the course of 12 hour shift, bursts of 5-10 minute steady walking along at a good clip, slower walking while I search for my material, and a LOT of bending myself in half crawling under, over, and around large pieces of steel looking for numbers.  My wristband is responsible for me knowing how far it is. :D

The bone broth is a good thought! I don't know why I don't think of it except for cold weather.  I could crock pot up a batch while I'm at work - thinking of it now, I'm thinking it sounds like a lovely dinner.  Probably help my aching feet too. :)

It also sounds like you are making good progress and something is changing for the better.  Good to hear. :)

Lol, Miss Lindy the 10 miles sounds more impressive than it is when it comes to any effect on my body - it is not sustained walking, but over the course of 12 hour shift, bursts of 5-10 minute steady walking along at a good clip, slower walking while I search for my material, and a LOT of bending myself in half crawling under, over, and around large pieces of steel looking for numbers.  My wristband is responsible for me knowing how far it is. :D

The bone broth is a good thought! I don't know why I don't think of it except for cold weather.  I could crock pot up a batch while I'm at work - thinking of it now, I'm thinking it sounds like a lovely dinner.  Probably help my aching feet too. :)

It also sounds like you are making good progress and something is changing for the better.  Good to hear. :)

Cynthia, you do realize that the type of exercise you are doing is perfect and what is currently recommended as most beneficial, short bursts with slow walking and faster bursts, bending and reaching.  You are probably the poster girl for perfect exercise. We can use you as the ideal for which to strive. :)

Missed my swim today as I expected but also had a major set back which I didn't expect. Got very acidic again for no reason that I could tell so am very disappointed about it all. Am wondering what brought that on and have no clue except perhaps I can't eat eggs. Will try without and see what happens.

Will be home for the swim tomorrow, hurray!

Cynthia, you do realize that the type of exercise you are doing is perfect and what is currently recommended as most beneficial, short bursts with slow walking and faster bursts, bending and reaching.  You are probably the poster girl for perfect exercise. We can use you as the ideal for which to strive. :)

Actually, no, I didn't realize, lol.  Which makes it frustrating that is having absolutely no effect on my physique other than making it tired.  I suspect if I can get the sleep under control it will help that out, though.  I have bones on my shopping list for Sunday, that will be my first chance to grocery.

Hi all! Just occurred to me I hadn't checked in for a bit. I guess that's to be expected when one's eating habits take a dive... Anyway, doctor appointment coming up Monday, routine bloodwork, and a chat about my bad knee. And maybe some sage advice about how to handle my eating since I seem to have only two settings: spartan, and bacchanalia!! I need to try for spartanalia! I'd chat more, but have been so tired lately that 9pm is about the best I can do and still get up at 6 the next morning. Sad... Will check in soon.

Good morning, ladies! I have a terrible head cold that doesn't want to go away. There's nothing like having allergies and a cold at the same time. Needless to say, I don't feel like eating much of anything so I've been surviving on chicken broth and orange juice. Last night I added a chopped salad - I was actually craving salad! I think being off track has made my immune system even worse. The fact that it has rained for over a week hasn't helped my depression. I am so looking forward to feeling better and getting back on my W30 strictly.

So planning time...meal plan for next week, but more importantly my brain is telling me it's time to start planning June.  You may remember my 2016 plan is to hit W30 again spanning across June/July/August, with July being a slightly relaxed rules month where things that are technically not compliant due to being banana ice cream are allowed.  I didn't find myself really using that leeway too much in February so I don't expect it to play a very big part in July either but there is a chance I will once again be hostessing a weekend overnighter and that may require some playing by ear since I'm going to be teaching baking angel food, making homemade noodles, and canning jam!  I'm okay with taking a pre-planned leave of absence for a weekend where some tasting may be required if I've scheduled that in this far ahead for a specific reason.  I'm no longer doing W30 for the cleanse/reintroduction aspects and I don't need the uber strict no slips mentality for the full 90-days, I know I can enjoy the weekend and be right back on track for the rest of that month.  That being said, I will follow to the letter of the law for June and August, because that was my commitment to myself.   

In fact, June is going to be a bit of a boot camp for me.  It will be the one-year anniversary of my first W30 and I want to recapture that first time intensity.  I can't rely on my "but it's winter and there is no sun before noon" excuse for not getting up in the morning, at least for 30 days, because I did that last year and even cooked in the full spirit of the program.  I will be specifically targeting eating in the morning, even if that means less than a full template meal, it's the entirely skipping M1 which is my norm that is going to be challenged.

I want to do a post sometime before June really reflecting on what has happened in the last year.  I will probably also join a group doing June just to be able to offer tips and stuff though I will stay active here primarily.  I don't know that I feel obligated to mentor, but I do think I want to do some of that for June since it is a milestone for me.  June has actually taken on a sort of mystical quality for me so I feel like it's the perfect time to dig in a little deeper but stay mindful of setting myself up for success by not taking on everything at once. 

Meal plan for next week is going to include a couple trial recipes, things I have been looking at but not totally sure of.  Time to try them now when I'm not actually doing W30 so if they turn out badly I'm not stranded scrambling for alternate meal options.  First up is a Jamaican Pepper Pot soup which will require one small tweak to make it W30 (the meatballs contain bread crumbs per the recipe), coconut milk base with sweet potato, spinach, habanero, fresh ginger, and shrimp and pork meatballs.  I'm also going to try some seasoned salmon and having it mixed with a dab of mayo as a cold salad for that mini meal I do.  I may add some grilled fresh sweet corn kernels to that for this week though will need to omit them if I use this recipe next month.   

So this weekend is all about getting that cleaning done that didn't happen last weekend and compiling recipes.  I feel like I want to get a pack of index cards and write out things I like so I can lay them all out and move them around to balance out meals.  I'm kind of visual that way, anyone else do anything similar?  There is probably an app (or twenty) for that...but I might just do the old school.  I've got a bulletin board I could use to tack them all up for the month and move things around as needed.  Hmmm...

Just another quick check-in. Still struggling, and at a loss for how to proceed at this point. A break from sugar is necessary but I don't seem to have enough fortitude to do that. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow and hoping for a solution to my knee problem so I can get back to exercising. I know that will help a lot. Thinking of all of you, hoping things are going well!

testing a new for me way to share pictures...

26761475400_82dcfb6970.jpg

pepperpot by Crimsann, on Flickr

If it works...this is the Jamaican Pepper Pot soup I tried out.  Sort of, uh, misread the recipe or printed out a different version than the original and thought it called for habanero.  Turns out that should have been jalapeno so we will see exactly how spicy this ends up being.  I haven't tasted it yet, though I will say the meatballs smelled oddly good even when they were just being formed and still uncooked.  Not sure why as there really isn't anything about raw shrimp that usually strikes me as appetizing, lol!  Picture looks a little blurry due to the pot still steaming when I took it. 

Done with the cooking for today and lunch is already packed.  I didn't get the cleaning even started, putting that off again until next weekend which is already full.  Sigh.  Saturday was insanely cold for this time of year and I forgot I had been asked to do some graphic design stuff as a favor and that took up most of the day.  Today is looking nicer out, but after hitting it hard this morning I'm going to just chill and try to soak in the fact that it's the weekend still before it's too late. 

Anyway, fingers crossed the picture post thing works.  I would like to do more of that, I even created an album on my old Flickr account for Tigers and Turtles photo's. 

Just another quick check-in. Still struggling, and at a loss for how to proceed at this point. A break from sugar is necessary but I don't seem to have enough fortitude to do that. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow and hoping for a solution to my knee problem so I can get back to exercising. I know that will help a lot. Thinking of all of you, hoping things are going well!

Join me in June!  I mean that even sounds like a great slogan.  :P  I would actually sort of say maybe it's time to try a longer trip, I know that sounds like the opposite of what you want but I can only say it's what really seems to have helped me.  I'm not trying to say 30 days is easy, but I think for some of us it's not enough to really turn the corner.  No matter how good I feel on Day30, I know I don't feel myself fully click in until at least 60ish days and it makes such a huge difference mentally to get to the point where I'm no longer fighting temptations or dreaming about what I'm going to do the day I'm off plan again.  I can totally fight off the temptation for 30 days, but as long as it's still there I know I'm twice as likely to give into it when the rules aren't in play.  It's so hard to advise because we are all different and respond differently, but I wonder if you wouldn't benefit like I do from a longer stretch.  Try doing 30 days and then evaluating when was the last time you had to actually fight a craving...no matter that you won, that's great but it's not the point.  If it has only been a day or two or you already know what you want on your first day off the plan no matter how healthy that item actually is, then keep going until you can honestly answer that isn't a factor and you are going to choose to go off the program just because it is finally time and it's a very deliberate choice.  If you actually have to wrangle your brain for something you might want that is off plan that's sort of a weird but amazing feeling.  I always think I will never really get there, I like food too much, but it has happened for me.

I feel like I've had such success with doing 30 days completely clean with the promise of some slight flexibility at the end of 30 days by moving into a compliant ingredient mode and doing Paleo muffins or that banana ice cream which feel like indulgences for sure but aren't reintroducing any actual noncompliant foods.  Sometimes they aren't worth it, to be honest, the muffins are a bit weird but it's more the thought that I can stretch from the strict rules and yet not step over into old habits yet. It also lets me do thirty days with some glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel but without walking straight into the train so to speak.   

I know each time I do this I feel like I get close to that food freedom we sometimes forget is part of the goal, the ability to eat and cook for ourselves without all that guilt and temptation.  The confidence to be able to occasionally indulge without worrying it's going to get out of control.  I will be honest, when I did my first Whole30 I didn't want it to work.  LOL!  I will also be honest though, I'm not sure it would have if I had stopped at 30 days myself.  And I've done it both ways now, there is no question that for me...I do much better afterwards if I've been on it longer. 

Summer is the best and worst time of course, and I know you have mentioned some social things that could prevent you from being on program but think about it...open invitation to all of the group of course.  There are so, so many great things available food wise in summer that blend in with what everyone else is eating that if there ever is a time you can balance being social and being Whole30, this is it.  It's one summer, one picnic, one wedding...insert whatever here...and we have this great group for ideas...consider if you could give up all those noncompliant foods for awhile and focus on really enjoying what you can have and see what happens.  I think we all need a kick in the pants sometimes to get out of Whole30 ruts just like any other part of life and try new things so that life is still a fun food adventure without compromising how we feel.  It makes me think of how many times we start a Whole30 and that first week we are so shocked at how delicious everything is, remember that feeling?  We sort of dread going on it and giving up all this "great" food and then we wonder why we don't do this all the time.  Sometimes we are ridiculous.

Of course, I could be saying all of this simply because misery loves company......hard to say.  :D  

Nancy, Crimsann, Lindy, Bpaitsel, Susan, C Ceseaux....hi! Crimsann, thanks for your ruminating on longer programs. I love things like that , counterintuitive but true. I am planning to start TOMORROW and was thinking of only 30, but will at least go through all of June....could be longer IF I am able to do what you do, Crimsann, in allowing some flex on weekends.....is that compliant ingredients flexibility, or do you let it all go for two days and then get back to business??

I dunno, in that regard I think Nancy and I are alike...no such thing as a little baccanalia.....love that, Nancy! So, I am venturing back into 30 at least. I am not fully prepared....the freezer has stuff but not really as I like it to support w30, but, as you say. This time of year has TONS of food supports out there, with more coming in. I am not going to fuss about a little butter here or there, or even a few legumes...but I will feel a whole lot better with no sugar, no wine, no bread, cheese, and some of the other little treats I have fallen back to trying......too often.

I am expecting my shipment of the spring catch of Alaskan fish this week...60 pounds of it...hope my freezer willandle it all....but I will have no excuse not to have fish 2-3 times a week now....

And, after ready Lindy, I am going back into the kitchen now to start some bone broth...

Bpaitsel and Susan, hope your spirits are up a bit with the return of the sun for we Virginians....even tho it is a bit chilly☃☀️

.....is that compliant ingredients flexibility, or do you let it all go for two days and then get back to business??

Two ways to answer this, right now it means more like the later because I'm not doing a Whole30 at all for May but I wanted to start easing back towards it before June rolls around.  My solution to that was to pick back up my meal planning and packing lunches for the week, but not worry so much about weekends.  I don't know about this as a long term plan though.  I mentioned earlier I might try a two-weeks on/two-weeks off approach next year but I'm still not sure I would do that well with so much free time myself! 

Typically though when I talk about compliant ingredient mode for me I am talking about doing what would look like a Whole30 otherwise but relaxing some of the rules around using compliant foods to make "treats" or non-compliant foods.  That had always struck me as a grey area, I mean you could say zoodles are non-compliant intentions as they clearly are taking the place of noodles hence the name...but they truly are so far from pasta that it would be really over the top to call them SWYPO.  Drawing that line though...where do you stop?  I just always liked the idea of being more creative with the foods we can have, but I also understand why that isn't allowed on a true Whole30 so for me that is something I do as a way of breaking up longer stretches of being on the program.  It feels like more freedom even while it's not really.  I also think I sometimes make it sound like I'm girl gone wild with it, and in reality I don't eat banana ice cream every day during one of those months.  In fact in the past year I've made that stuff exactly twice.  Wiiild, huh?!  It's just an easy example.  It's almost more the idea that I could, if that makes any sense.  When I allow that flexibility I'm still doing so under pretty controlled conditions, meaning that whatever I go off-roading with it's all still planned ahead and not impulse eating and it's still the minority of what I'm doing overall.

For July I will probably use that mode to make almond flour muffins as a change from endless egg breakfast options or do something like smoothies for a week as another break from the more typical Whole30 breakfast options.  Whatever I do it will be planned ahead just like the rest of my meal planning and I will be attempting to balance it with template meals as much as possible.  I also pretty much never plan more than one food item like that in a weeks meal plan, so the rest of my day would be entirely compliant.  It's really all about a little more variety for me.

I think you may be on a good track with picking one or two things you know you aren't sensitive to like legumes and just preplanning in those items for more flexibility for yourself.  It's all about what you decide ahead of time rather than giving into a temptation in the moment.  If adding butter and legumes makes a longer Whole30 sound much more doable and you stick to just that for whatever period of time you pick, I think it's a winner myself for where we are in this process.  It's like all of the structure but customized to you and I think it's exactly what we need to be experimenting with as the next step in making this a lifelong change.     

I started back on the strict W30 last Friday, as I posted before I went absolutely acidic and felt terrible but have no clue what caused it so clearly something didn't agree. I am wondering about eggs or beef. That would be a blow as I rely on beef a great deal, eggs I can manage without but do like them.

So, we all seem to be flagging in the middle here! I am going to be doing longer than 30 days but only one day at a time and see how that goes. I just love that we have a year long set up so we can float in and out and see how everyone is doing. Makes life easier to hear the stories and all be on the same path in different ways.

Won't be swimming today--the tide is wrong and the water was leaving when I got up so it will be back by 7pm and it is dark by then. I won't go in at night by myself. The other day I was told there are sting rays floating around with me in there so now I make a lot of noise. Makes me move more anyway. 

Just checking in with everyone.  I really agree with Crimsann's view that 30 days just isn't quite long enough.  Since I ended W30 at end of April I have reintro'd corn with no problem; beans with problems.  I have allowed in some sugar - but so far not to excess.  Had cheese 2 days ago and not sure if really a problem or not.  I seem to be releasing a bit of weight slowly which is great.  However, I continue to have intermitten episodes of significant fluid retention.  Possibly related to sugar intake???  Have had dark chocolate a couple of times - with soy lecithin in it unfortunately.  Both times it seemed like it gave me  GERD like symptoms like a lump in the throat - not sure.  Other than these foods my meals are compliant.  The main thing I think that keeps me 95% on point is the fact that when I eat like this I can go between meals without getting hungry and this is a huge change for me.  I used to always be snacking and having blood sugar crashes - always had to have food with me "for emergencies".   The last few weeks have been extremely stressful with 2 deaths and the impending sale of our house.  Add to that the fact that I have stopped taking HRT  but through it all, except for occasional tropical moments, have dealt with everything pretty well without alcohol and unhealthy food.    I guess what I am getting at is it has taken me since October to get to this point.

Nancy I think that when you are ready you will get back on track - "join in June" sounds great!  I don't intend on going the rest of my life without some of the foods that I want - just want to be in control and decide what is truly worth it.

Crimsann the picture looks delicious!

Merg - yes I have been enjoying the nicer weather - now have a freeze warning for tonight!

MissLindy - had a visual of you out-swimming  the sting rays :lol:

Hope everyone is getting geared up for a great week!!!

Crimsann, thanks. Your logical way of approaching this is really helpful. By keeping the outcomes we want in mind, then we apply the rules (or bend them) to get us there. I like your self imposed rule of "ok if it is planned ahead of time"....and some of your other structures. For sure, when I adopt an "I will just improvise" approach to adapting the plan it is far too easy for improvising to become a full time way or acting.

Lindy, I find I have a strange time with eggs sometimes....usually just phlegm in the throat (apologies for the TMI), but it does seem to happen more frequently, although not consistently, after breakfast....so, hmmmm.of course, beef is kinda hard to digest too...but I just plain need it sometimes. How do you know when you are acidic?

I hate sting rays...you are so freakin fearless!!

M

Bpaitsel,

Looks like we posted At the same time, so I didn't see your post until now. Wow, two deaths in your family, I am so sorry. YOU ARE ALSO FREAKING FEARLESS to have come out on the other side of THAT as level headed as you sound....and now selling your hous? YOWZAH!

so very wise of you to keep taking good care of yourself. We know we do better in times of stress and loss when we are rested and hormonally even from making good food choices....

Life is just better in or near the whole 30, especially because it includes our crew!!

Crimsann, thanks. Your logical way of approaching this is really helpful. By keeping the outcomes we want in mind, then we apply the rules (or bend them) to get us there. I like your self imposed rule of "ok if it is planned ahead of time"....and some of your other structures. For sure, when I adopt an "I will just improvise" approach to adapting the plan it is far too easy for improvising to become a full time way or acting.

Lindy, I find I have a strange time with eggs sometimes....usually just phlegm in the throat (apologies for the TMI), but it does seem to happen more frequently, although not consistently, after breakfast....so, hmmmm.of course, beef is kinda hard to digest too...but I just plain need it sometimes. How do you know when you are acidic?

I hate sting rays...you are so freakin fearless!!

M

I am not fearless, didn't know they were there until a neighbour told me she has been seeing them! She's on the shore, mind you so didn't have much to worry about. :)

Archived