Tigers and Turtles - 2016

Crimsann

Crimsann, thanks. Your logical way of approaching this is really helpful. By keeping the outcomes we want in mind, then we apply the rules (or bend them) to get us there. I like your self imposed rule of "ok if it is planned ahead of time"....and some of your other structures. For sure, when I adopt an "I will just improvise" approach to adapting the plan it is far too easy for improvising to become a full time way or acting.

Lindy, I find I have a strange time with eggs sometimes....usually just phlegm in the throat (apologies for the TMI), but it does seem to happen more frequently, although not consistently, after breakfast....so, hmmmm.of course, beef is kinda hard to digest too...but I just plain need it sometimes. How do you know when you are acidic?

I hate sting rays...you are so freakin fearless!!

M

I know I am acidic when my sweat is like vinegar, even behind my ears gets cracked and sore, my face is red and chapped--shall I go on? Not nice and I don't know what brings it on. I am hoping it is just a matter of shifting things and it will eventually quit.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning, ladies! I'll join those for a June W30, then probably continue on for July and August with a few additions of dairy and legumes. Sugar and sweeteners cause me headaches and bloating so they are out. I have discovered chick pea flour (not compliant) and got a great cookbook using it on Amazon. I've made waffles and muffins with it and they are very good.

Sting rays - run!

Crimsann, that soups looks delicious.  I would like to do W30 in June if I can figure out how to be completely compliant without overloading my already overloaded schedule.  I was thinking I could perhaps use my smoothie maker and carry cold soup for lunches - I have a terrible time eating when it's hot and am hoping that I will tolerate that smoothie texture.  I'm not sure how that blends into the rules, however. I need to read up again in my spare time.  Also, I've been relying on egg protein to get enough protein in there, no additives that are off base.

Miss Lindy, that acidity sounds like a real kick in the pants, hopefully it lets up on you. :( On a lighter note, do you do the stingray shuffle there?  My husband has been attempting to teach me to fish in the gulf here, today I had impressed upon me the need to shuffle along in the sand rather than tromping along like I would normally do.

Merg! Hi! :) I have been craving fish like mad lately.  I was never all that crazy about fish, could take it or leave it as long as it didn't taste "fishy" but recently I have skipped right over the other foods at our favorite buffet (one of those BAAAAAD convenience stops when we're tired) and gone right for the fish.  60lbs?? Wow.

Quilter, your mention of chickpea flour made me think of hummus.  Which caused me to remember that I have a recipe for alternative "hummus" made with sweet potato and sesame.  Has anyone by any chance tried this?  I just need more TIME in my day!!

bpaitsel, sounds like you are doing a pretty decent job of taking care of yourself through a really tough time.  Are you getting enough water?  I was shocked to discover that I swell on days I'm not getting enough.  It just seems odd, somehow.  I have found that if I'm not drinking enough to send me to the restroom every hour, I tend to pick up a LOT of water retention in my legs, feet, and hands.

I think I have finally reached a point where I am certifiable. It was so cold in the ocean this morning I actually wondered why I am doing it, then felt so good after that I guess I know why. Took a hot shower to thaw out. Early morning swim in the winter is probably not the way to go. :)

Cynthia, I know we aren't suppose to rely on smoothies but honestly, if it works, use it is my mantra these days. I have been doing them for the past couple of days, not instead of my meals but to help get in more veg, and it seems to be working. My acidity is backing off thank goodness.

Have met my deadline with a few days to spare but am getting the thing in the mail today so I don't have to think about it any more for a couple weeks. I have plenty of other things to get ready for new deadlines!

Nancy, I am sorry you are struggling so. One meal at a time if you have to, just to get through. Maybe smoothies would help you get back on track. Do that for a few days and not consider it following any specific plan, just good nourishment.

bpaitsel, hope things are easing for you somewhat

Merg, I have had salmon for breakfast the past two days, love it. But would love to have access to your supply!

Crimsann, you and your planning is to be admired from someone like me who goes into fits when a plan is called for.

Your Wednesday over there so hopefully you are all motoring along. L

I've seen some talk of a June Whole30. That won't work for me. My ENTIRE summer happens in the month of June! Lots of fun stuff, and most of it is not so W30 friendly. So I may do July, possibly starting on or the day after my July 5 birthday.That doesn't mean I'm going to let myself go all crazy before then though! I did see my doctor on Monday, and despite the weight gain, he's not unhappy with my bloodwork or anything else. He gave me a cortisone shot in the knee, and instructions to skip the jumping rope till I turn 25 again. I've been seeing him for over 20 years, and we spend a lot of appointment time laughing. I also told him he was not to retire before I died, cuz I didn't want to have to slap the sh*t out of some 12 year old newbie doctor who didn't know anything! His response? "Worst thing about those 12 year old doctors is they've never had an ache or pain in their life!" I love that man. 

Anyway, I'm planning on starting in early July. And now that my knee is feeling better, I need to find some non-impact cardio exercise and get busy with some weight training. Between that and the end of winter in the next 4-6 weeks (ha!), I should be ok.

Thanks for holding up the fort while I'm off goofing around...

Thanks to everyone for your support.  Cynthia - I probably am not drinking enough water so thanks for reminding me of that.  Would you mind sharing your recipe for the sweet potato hummus?

Miss Lindy I hope you are feeling better and I can't imagine going in water that cold - you rock!

Nancy - I hope your knee pain resolves soon.  With some concentrated strengthening for your hips and knees along with decreasing impact with cardio I think you will be on the right track.  I'm still laughing about you and your doctor - I have kind of the same relationship with mine who, despite my protests will be retiring within the next year to my horror.  I guess I will have to break in a 12 year old :wacko: And the first time he says "well, you know, as you get older . . . " I'm going to walk out . . . or maybe slap the sh*t out of him instead.  Yea that would feel better :)

Everyone have a great day tomorrow!

I've seen some talk of a June Whole30. That won't work for me. My ENTIRE summer happens in the month of June! Lots of fun stuff, and most of it is not so W30 friendly. So I may do July, possibly starting on or the day after my July 5 birthday.That doesn't mean I'm going to let myself go all crazy before then though! I did see my doctor on Monday, and despite the weight gain, he's not unhappy with my bloodwork or anything else. He gave me a cortisone shot in the knee, and instructions to skip the jumping rope till I turn 25 again. I've been seeing him for over 20 years, and we spend a lot of appointment time laughing. I also told him he was not to retire before I died, cuz I didn't want to have to slap the sh*t out of some 12 year old newbie doctor who didn't know anything! His response? "Worst thing about those 12 year old doctors is they've never had an ache or pain in their life!" I love that man. 

Anyway, I'm planning on starting in early July. And now that my knee is feeling better, I need to find some non-impact cardio exercise and get busy with some weight training. Between that and the end of winter in the next 4-6 weeks (ha!), I should be ok.

Thanks for holding up the fort while I'm off goofing around...

No excuse now, Nancy. You will have to join me in the ocean!

I am happy to continue through July for another round so you won't be alone.

Ah, just need some girl time.  I've tried not to sink into despair with this, but since my vacation in April we haven't had a single day now where one or both of my co-workers haven't called off.  In a department of 3, it makes a huge difference.  This whole week now it's just been me and it's iffy for next week.  Not to mention both of them have scheduled time off coming up as soon as they get back from this non-scheduled time off.  It's looking to be the middle of July before I'm not trying to cover for someone.  Gaaaaaah! 

So I'm tired.  And enough about that.

Weird thing this week, even with being so tired, I've been waking up naturally within about a ten minute range every morning.  Okay, maybe not so weird?  I've also been "eating" every morning or closer to morning than usual for me...though I do mean "eating" in the loose sense of the word.  I've been freezing some fruit and blending it in the morning with that Califa unsweetened coconut almond milk which is compliant now that they make a carrageenan free one.  I'm not going to pretend these have been healthy veg filled smoothies as they haven't been...but it is real food, no added sweetener other than the fruit itself, and it is before noon.  A small Huzzah!  I'm wondering now if there isn't a bit of a connection between that and the AM wakefulness.  Going to try and keep up that pattern now until June since my area of focus is eating better in the morning.  If this helps me be more alert in the morning so getting up to cook isn't as grueling, it's going to help me start off strong.  I will not be doing smoothies for breakfast in June though.

Another weird thing, I'm already planned out for all of June and half of July.  Whaaaat?!?!  In the hugest NSV ever after, I sat down the other night with my notebook and in about 10 minutes had planned out 6 weeks of W30 meal plans (at least in broad strokes) and it all sounded pretty good.  Nothing too new or experimental, and that's because I now have a much deeper core of recipes or food ideas to draw from.  Big asterisk after that is the reality that my way of living means I eat the same three-four meals all week so I can cook most of it ahead on Sunday.  It's not like a new meal three times a day for 6 weeks or anything but still the ease of planning is a huge change from last year when it boggled my mind what I could eat on this plan.     

Hi again,

My SIL passed away this afternoon, peacefully, and surrounded by her family. I'm glad that it was a peaceful end, but so sad that she is gone. She was one of those people you couldn't help but love! 

bpaidsel, I ordered one of those Glider thingies (think Gazelle Glider) that I hope will get my butt started on the right track. No impact, and can be done in front of the TV. I don't watch much anymore, but a bit every day. Add in some strength training, and I'll be ready to slap the sh*t out of Dr. Kid in no time!

misslindy, thanks for hanging in so I'll have company! 

Crimsann, don't you hate the irresponsibility of people like your lovely coworkers? Maybe nobody has ever told them to put on their big girl panties and JUST DO IT. Sheesh. I hope you get some peace (and time to keep your own self caught up) soon. And nicely done on the planning. I'm finding that with my pressure cooker, I can cook more often and eat the same thing for just a few days instead of cooking BIG and eating the same thing for a whole month. And I found a tortilla soup recipe that's really good. I'll have to leave out the beans and corn for compliance in July, but I can make other veggies work.

Off to bed early. See y'all soon.

Hi again,

My SIL passed away this afternoon, peacefully, and surrounded by her family. I'm glad that it was a peaceful end, but so sad that she is gone. She was one of those people you couldn't help but love! 

bpaidsel, I ordered one of those Glider thingies (think Gazelle Glider) that I hope will get my butt started on the right track. No impact, and can be done in front of the TV. I don't watch much anymore, but a bit every day. Add in some strength training, and I'll be ready to slap the sh*t out of Dr. Kid in no time!

misslindy, thanks for hanging in so I'll have company! 

Crimsann, don't you hate the irresponsibility of people like your lovely coworkers? Maybe nobody has ever told them to put on their big girl panties and JUST DO IT. Sheesh. I hope you get some peace (and time to keep your own self caught up) soon. And nicely done on the planning. I'm finding that with my pressure cooker, I can cook more often and eat the same thing for just a few days instead of cooking BIG and eating the same thing for a whole month. And I found a tortilla soup recipe that's really good. I'll have to leave out the beans and corn for compliance in July, but I can make other veggies work.

Off to bed early. See y'all soon.

Sorry to hear of your loss, Nancy. Take care of yourself. 

Nancy I am so sorry.  Sounds like you have a plan for yourself so that is awesome.

Crimsann way to go on the meal planning.  Just goes to show that healthy eating gets easier as you go.  And I think Nancy nailed it for your co-workers :lol:

Will be attending a life celebration for BIL tomorrow with lots of non-compliant and not even close food.  My plan is to eat before I go and then hope for the best.  Even though I am not W30 right now I am trying to be close.

Recently found out that at our local Mexican restaurant where I thought I was being compliant by having fajita strips with peppers and onions that they cook everything in butter :blink: I can hardly believe it but have been told twice now.  I have been eating there 2-3 times/month even during W30s.  I guess this is why I have had some issues all along.  And, yes, I know, everyone is thinking "you didn't ask in the beginning???"  Picture me slapping my forehead!  So it seems that after doing 3 W30s I really have not done any - crap!

Not sure if I will attempt a full-on W30 soon or not.  We are in process of selling house and then our plan was to live in camper 3-4 months until house was ready.  However, we are now going to move in with our son for that time.  This will make life much easier but not sure if I will have the clarity to be compliant - will just have to wait and see.  

Another gray and on/off rainy couple of days here in Virginia again but here's to a good weekend :)

Hi, everyone. Nancy, sorry for your loss. I LOVE my SILs...just don't see them enough. Kudos to them for living with my love able but rotten big brothers whose favorite trick in childhood was to tie me up in the garage and leave me there until Mom and Dad wondered where I was. No wonder my favorite thing to do was to go hide in a neighbors dog house, with their German shepherd who lived there, or to climb the tree behind our shed and get up on the roof, out of sight. My poor hubby, he is living with result of these coping mechanisms....

My fish...yes, 60 pounds, just for the two of us. My freezer is now so full it is a death defying act to open the door. The Fish is caught in Alaska, in season, flash Frozen and shipped by a one man outfit called Salmon and Sable. I bought 60 pounds to avoid the shipping charges, but, then again, I basically had to surrender my puny freezer space until we eat our way back into it. The fish is the best I have ever had, but it comes in season, so now I have enough halibut and sablefish to get me through to next Spring. If you are interested, check out the Salmon and Sable website...but, warnin, it is EXPENSIVE....just worth it for me to be compliant and not eat so much red meat along the way. I have an order for salmon for the fall...not in season now. Anyway, since I spent so much on the fish, I have my Julia CHild The Way To Cook here on the coffee table and am reading about how to,properly treat frozen fish....hmmm...I might have to quit my job....

I've fallen by the wayside twice this week, stopping by our health food store and the juice bar to get a green smoothie...then today, a sandwich (WHAT.???).....so will restart my whole 30-ish on Sunday as tomorrow I am meeting up with a friend from out of town at a local French bakery-her choice...cmon people....I cannot be asked to do that, can I?

So I may be facing joining you all in June, for real. Or maybe waiting to jump in with Nancy in July because hubs and I are going to NYC at the end of June and I just won't feel like being compliant for a weekend in the Big Apple. In the meantime, I am going to try to I've toward compliance...getting way from those smoothies, the cappuccinos, sandwiches, etc....I feel so much better when I do!!

Crimsann, any chanc you can share your meal plans?

Cheers everyone!! UNiversity graduation here, so the town is a zoo!!!

Crimsann, any chanc you can share your meal plans?

I would be happy to do this, including the ones I've started for July with some of those lax rules items even, just don't let me forget.  The paper I copied it all out on is on my desk at work. 

You will love this, in all my hubris over being so ahead of the game, I completely forgot to plan anything for next week!  ROFL

In my defense, this week didn't get any better since my last post.  I should put in one word in token defense of my co-workers, this particular bout of absenteeism was due to a death in the family and a complication from a surgical procedure.  I think there was no particular rush to get back mind you, but at least this wasn't Mondayitis or a slight tickle in the throat.  it should be noted though that this is a pattern, not a first, so even when it's somewhat more justified I still tend to grit my teeth.  I'm probably more frustrated with the manager who promptly asked 15 minutes before the end of the day if things were going okay.  Without fail.  As if, what would you do at this point if they weren't?  By Wednesday I not so subtly pointed out that we share an email inbox where most of our work requests come in at and that he (oh which of you hadn't already guessed this was a he?) could certainly feel free to pick up anything he wanted from it to take some off my shoulders.  I think the jab struck home, but it didn't result in any assistance, just less questions about my state of mental health.

Okay, but I am NOT going to get into that.  Nor am I going to go too deeply into the surprise I got this morning which I can sum up in three words.  Debit.  Card.  Fraud.  So I'm headed into the weekend in a state of near poverty.  Maybe it's a good thing I didn't plan much to eat for next week, I couldn't afford it!  No really kidding on that last part, I've long since had two checking accounts which I've kept up past when I needed them for this very eventuality.  You've picked up on the "Crimsann is a planner"?  So I've more than enough to live on until the funds are returned, but still a kick in the teeth.  Sigh. 

My tentative plan for this next week then is to do something with meatballs and spaghetti squash since I've still never tried that.  Will poke around and see what I come up with.  Definitely need to keep it simple.  And definitely not thinking about anything more tonight.  Zzzzzzzzz....huh?  Oh yeah, still gotta move this mouse over and click "post".  Will do that, zzzzzzzzzz...just gimme five minutes more, m'kay?   

Thanks to everyone for your support.  Cynthia - I probably am not drinking enough water so thanks for reminding me of that.  Would you mind sharing your recipe for the sweet potato hummus?

This one came from Paleo Leap - it's pretty easy to add different flavors to, depending on your tastes.

Sweet Potato Hummus

4 cups cooked mashed sweet potato

1/4 cup tahini

1/4 cup lime juice

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Mix ingredients well, season to taste

Nancy, so sorry to hear of your loss. Be sure to care for yourself. {{hug}}

Miss Lindy, the "if it works, use it" approach is what I'm definitely using for now. :) Sometimes I have to go for the faster, easier way to get the nutrients in or I don't get them at all. The breakfast smoothie I make has a little more fruit in it than it probably should, but I skip fruit for the rest of the day.  This week I even managed to hide my asparagus in one, lol.  I know it's good for me, but I just don't LIKE the taste of asparagus.  When it's cool enough, I try to get a chunky salad in for lunch.  Dinner?  Did I eat something? Can't remember. We had massive rainstorm come through this week, was SO glad the jobsite flooded.  I needed a day off.  Sounds terrible, but it's true.

Crimsann, sounds like a frustrating week for you.  I feel your pain!  How are you refraining from a totally smarta$$ reply to your manager?? When I'm tired and overstressed, my filter shuts down and the most amazing things fly out of my mouth.

Merg, a bakery? That is harsh. Good luck. :)

bpaitsel, my sympathies on the Mexican Food.  The mamas down here have a feud going over butter or lard to cook with.  I finally managed to kick the corn chip habit but then they restocked their supply of milk candy. 0.o That is seriously hard for me to resist, so I try to stay away from the cashier's counter, lol.

Merg - great for you eating fish.  I know it would be good for me but I just don't like it.  Sometimes you just have to have a sandwich :wacko: I bought some round (instead of long) sweet potatoes this week and I am going to try roasting some slices and make an "unwich" to see how that goes - will let you know.

Cynthia - thanks for the recipe - looks great!  I would think lard would be cheaper and tasty!

Crimsann - of course it's a "he"!  So sorry about the extra stress of the credit card fraud.  Perhaps I can help.  I recently received an email from His Excellency President Muhammadu Buhari Commander-in-chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces Federal Republic Of Nigeria and United Nations (UN) and (IMF)  informing me they were going to transfer sum of USD$10M Only to you through ATM visa Card which you can be used in any cash point, shopping mall or banking.

I can "withdrawal" money from  ATM visa Card any ATM TELLER MACHINE location or center of  choice in any part of the world. 

And all I have to do is send them my name, address and cell phone #.  Since I am sure this is legit I would be glad to share my good fortune with you, and all the other tigers and turtles.   :ph34r:

Good morning, ladies! Another rainy day in VA.

Nancy, I'm sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself during this time.

Crimsann, been there on the debit card fraud. The fool used the card at Bed, Bath & Beyond and then a month later returned the stuff, probably thinking they'd get cash, but I got a credit for the stuff. I called the bank and told them because they had already given my money back. There was a lecture by the York County Sheriff's office at the Y yesterday on identity theft. Deputy Russell said every one should have a crosscut shredder, not a strip shredder, and every piece of paper should go through it before going out of the house. Even junk mail and especially credit card offers. He also said if you have a mailbox at the road and put up the flag to signal there's mail to be picked up, this is an invitation to theives. We should alsio ask what is going to be done with out information. For example, if you have already given all your information to the doctor's office and the next time you go in they ask for it again, ask why since they already have it. How are they going to store it? Dishonest people can be anywhere, unfortunately. I'd love to have your meal plans, too.

Bpaistel, they made me the same offer but I had to also send my banking information. The sad thing is, someone will do it. I've also had phone calls that say I've won a cruise and all I have to do is pay the tax by wiring a couple of hundred dollars.

Merg, I love fish, too. I go down to the fish market and get it fresh caught that morning. Nothing better.

Cynthia, I have to admit I sometimes make a smoothie before going to the gym. I use a scoop of protein powder, 1/2 cup of frozen berries, a big handful of spinach or kale, a big spoon ful of sunflower nut butter and 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk. It sees me through 1-1/2 hours of yoga and 1 hour of water aerobics.

Miss Lindy, I'm beginning to dispair of getting into the bay or ocean this year. It has been so cold this spring. I don't know how you can get in the icy water.

Have a wonderful day.

Merg - great for you eating fish.  I know it would be good for me but I just don't like it.  Sometimes you just have to have a sandwich :wacko: I bought some round (instead of long) sweet potatoes this week and I am going to try roasting some slices and make an "unwich" to see how that goes - will let you know.

Cynthia - thanks for the recipe - looks great!  I would think lard would be cheaper and tasty!

Crimsann - of course it's a "he"!  So sorry about the extra stress of the credit card fraud.  Perhaps I can help.  I recently received an email from His Excellency President Muhammadu Buhari Commander-in-chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces Federal Republic Of Nigeria and United Nations (UN) and (IMF)  informing me they were going to transfer sum of USD$10M Only to you through ATM visa Card which you can be used in any cash point, shopping mall or banking.

I can "withdrawal" money from  ATM visa Card any ATM TELLER MACHINE location or center of  choice in any part of the world. 

And all I have to do is send them my name, address and cell phone #.  Since I am sure this is legit I would be glad to share my good fortune with you, and all the other tigers and turtles.   :ph34r:

OMG I'm saved! I have been a bit stressed about money but am so glad that has been taken care of, how kind of you to share.

Can you believe how stupid some criminals are? Trying to exchange merchandise paid for with stolen cards! Give your head a shake. I have been laughing so hard at this. And they wonder why they get caught. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Didn't go swimming today, very cold wind and I had some sort of encounter yesterday that left me itchy with a rash all over my legs. Didn't last long but must have been snacked on by something. We are having a huge storm at the moment and cold temp, has dropped to 15C, we even put the fire on the other night so winter is making a noise.

Yes, it is cold when I go in swimming but honestly, I love it and miss the days I don't go. I don't do the walking or other forms of exercise that most of you do so really want to continue with the swimming as long as I can.

Made a lovely, lovely batch of breakfast stuff, using kale as the main vegetable, celery, onion, pork mince, liver, can't remember what else but add veg as a side order when I heat it up. Good for about two weeks now. Also, have beef cheek stew on and both my husband and I eat it. I am thrilled he likes it and has it for lunch every day lately. Something is rubbing off, he is pretty healthy in any case but never hurts to add more.

Hope you are all having a good weekend. 

Because the jobsite is still a little bit flooded, we actually got a WHOLE WEEKEND off!! Yesterday I did not get out of bed until 6:18, lol.  We actually had a chance to cook good stuff at home and then hubby took me on my first night fishing off the pier excursion.  We did not bring home a thing, but it was a very entertaining evening.  There were quite a few people out, in spite of the knowledge that fishing wasn't great due to runoff from all the rain so there were about 8 of us fishing underneath the light we chose to stand by on the pier.  We kept catching small fish - the specs we wanted, but too small, and hammerheads.  I caught oysters once.  I didn't know you could catch oysters with a line, lol.  The real entertainment started when the dolphin showed up.  I saw it once a couple times before I caught on.  Every time one of us would catch a small fish and throw it back, we'd see the dolphin very shortly after.  Before the night was over, it was catching the fish as they hit the water.  Catch and release, feed the dolphin! 

There were a lot of jellyfish out, several rays - one guy next to us caught one.  Also, until last night I did not know that crabs could swim.  Thought they only ran along the bottom. :D

I also am glad to know our financial stresses are over - thanks for sharing!! :D

Today I am going to fry up a plantain in my lovely coconut oil. It will be a treat, haven't had time to do one in ages.  I see fresh produce and meat on the counter, my lovely cooking husband is up to someting. :)

GLOP.

Went to a garden party (WAY too fancy for me) today and ate bad stuff. FEEL LIKE GLOP.

Going to bed. Tomorrow is another day. Sigh.

Let's hope this is a good week. Supposed to have a taste of summer here this week....a few days of that and I will start complaining about the heat

OK, I am actually better than that sounded....just a bit irritated w myself for sliding off the rails.

OMG I'm saved! I have been a bit stressed about money but am so glad that has been taken care of, how kind of you to share.

Took the words right out of my mouth, I was thinking the exact same thing!  Hardest I laughed all week.

But, uh guys, don't make me laugh today.  I have a fantastic time with "my" girls over the weekend when we took them to an outdoor antique flea market to walk around...but none of us were expecting that much sun and I am closely resembling a lobster today.  Cracking a smile hurts!  Actually, smiling is doable...wrinkling my nose though?  No way.

So meal plans, as promised.  You will note an absence of M1 options listed week by week, and I haven't penned in exact details on the mini-meal I usually do either but in both cases I tend to do one of two or three things in rotation so the only meals I feel like I have to plan out and try to balance are lunch and dinner.  I also usually plan the main elements and leave things like side-dishes to whatever is available.  There isn't much point in picking a vegetable and then not being able to find a weeks worth so that ends up being a grocery-time decision.  I put these down as Week 1, Week 2, etc. but in reality I may swap them around depending on what sounds good.  I could also do something entirely different if I stumble across something I want to try.  Bottom line is, this is just a failsafe.  5 weeks of ideas that could see me through.

Week 1

Turkey and Zuchinni Meatloaf with Roasted Red Potatoes - excited about this because my local Whole Foods finally got in Tessemae's ketchup.  I've made this meatloaf before, basically ground turkey, chopped zuchinni, mushrooms, onion, whatever spices, and an egg or two to help hold it together but I honestly find turkey doesn't need a lot of binding.  It's pretty basic tasting so I'm curious to see if a dab of ketchup does anything special or not.  I've heard their ketchup is compliant but doesn't really taste like ketchup.  Could be, but so far their products have all exceeded my expectations so I'm hopeful.

Bacon Green Beans - this is a super simple thing I do sometimes, just browning some bacon and then "steaming" a pile of green beans with it.  It's a bit light on protein, but my mini-meal with this week will include hard boiled eggs, and this is the kind of meal that is easier to do late at night like I have to.  Too much meat there can be hard to go to bed on so I'm doing the denser protein earlier in the day with the meatloaf.   

Week 2

Papaya Pulled Pork and Cauli Rice - This is a recipe I made up during my first Whole30 but is very much like the ever popular Kahlua Pork only I use a bit of papaya juice in the slow cooking which gives it a bit of broth or sauce.  Not quite like a bbq but a bit of a flavor boost from the plain pork.

Chicken Sausage and Baked Potato - I've discovered that I don't like reheated baked potatoes as well as fresh, but they are just fine when I want something I can make ahead and reheat quickly.  Different texture, but totally doable, and I've come to really like avocado oil and fresh black pepper as a topping.  If my veggie here ends up being a side salad, and it likely will, this is one of the fastest evening meals on my list and one that never gets old.

Week 3

Chicken Taco Salad - basically this ends up being chicken in the crockpot with either salsa or just taco type spices, served warm over a green salad with a dab or two of guac as a dressing.   It's missing a couple of the key elements to be a traditional taco salad but still pretty tasty. 

Burger with Grilled Red Onion Mayo and Sweet Potato "Fries" - quick grilled burger topped with slices of red onion that get that caramelization going from the grilling and then a dab of mayo makes a topping I love so much that I don't miss the cheese or the bun in the slightest!  Sweet potato fries are just roasted of course and sometimes I don't even bother with the fry shape, but I use a paprika and garlic powder spice mix to make them more fun.

Week 4

Steak Salad - similar to the chicken salad only with slices of steak over a green salad.  This is the lunch I'm most likely to add a fruit side to, for some reason it just runs in my mind with fresh cherries. 

Pork Chop & Asparagus - yes, picked a vegetable this time so hoping it's not too far out of season to get some.  I love doing asparagus roasted with olive oil and sea salt, end up eating it like it was finger food and joke about it being my real Whole30 french fries.  I may try another stab at an apple mustard glaze for the chops if I get ambitious.  I tried something last year in the fall but it didn't work out well and I ended up eating them plain. 

Week 5

Mojo Chicken with Pineapple Slaw - bringing back that recent grilled chicken I enjoyed so much but spacing it out there so I don't burn out on it.  The slaw is something I made last summer as well and should be a dessert it's so good.  Basic cabbage slaw but with a dressing made using coconut milk and pineapple juice.  The dressing tends to do what all things with coconut milk do once chilled so I make it up and only put it on right before eating the slaw. 

Shrimp Fajita's - really just a stir-fry of shrimp and big chunks of pepper, onion, and zuchinni with fajita type spices.

Meal 1 options will be simple fried eggs and bacon and sauteed veggies, or scrambled eggs with cooked broccoli and nutritional yeast (to me this sort of tastes like a broccoli cheese quiche or omelet but that's probably more mental than anything), or something else I'm going to try with a chicken broth and summer squash "cream" soup.  That last one I'm hoping will be a good to-go option I can heat and eat at my desk if a morning goes all wrong. 

Meal 3 options, which for me is that mini meal I eat around 7 PM and is usually about half a meal and also why my Meal 4 menu's are also lighter...usually ends up being deviled eggs and baby carrots, or a banana and handful of toasted walnuts, or an easy side salad type thing...slaws are great because they are a good fat/veg and are filling without being heavy but also easy to eat while I'm still working. 

You will notice I start out the Whole30 with a daily potato, easing into sweet potato, and then dropping them primarily...I could eat potatoes every day and I don't shy away from them as much as some people do but I do try to limit them somewhat once I'm solidly past the first few weeks when the added carb helps with the transition off sugar.  This is something I found works pretty well for me.  I may still do them on occasion as part of the breakfast scramble but do try not to have them three times a day like I might want to do.  LOL!  I'm also not one to try and totally eliminate fruit or nuts though this meal series doesn't rely on them very heavily.  I work pretty hard on making sure fruit is part of a dish or a sauce as seen in the Papaya Pork or Pineapple slaw, but occasionally some fresh fruit as a side makes sense to me for the vitamin variety and it is summer!

I didn't get the July stuff in yet, but will add that soon.  I know one lax rules meal is probably going to be to try the almond flour pasta I keep looking at and have yet to do.  I'm also going to try making my own egg noodles with almond flour, I would love to do an old comfort food dish of mashed potatoes topped with egg noodles cooked in chicken broth and chicken meat which ends up being a soup like mess but soooo good.  I can do that with just the chicken/broth/potatoes if the noodles don't work out though.   

So that's my real life Whole30 plan, probably not perfect but things I know I can do within my time restraints and enjoy.  I used to really obsess about the perfect template meals, but from experience I know about what I need to be full without being too full and what works for me with having to eat four times a day and with one being so late at night.  Hopefully it will give you some ideas even if my exact mix wouldn't work for everyone! 

Merg - hope you are feeling better.  I will be right there with you complaining about the heat this week after complaining about the rain/cool weather we have already had!  What would we talk about and complain about if we lived in a consistent climate - no fun at all!

Crimsann - your meal plan looks great.  One of the things I packed up today was my cookbooks - not that I use them that much but just not having access to them is going to make me want them.  I  downloaded a couple of digital cookbooks a while back so I am going to try to force myself to look at them and try some new recipes.  I really don't like cookbooks in digital form though - I need the book for some reason.

Back to work tomorrow - had scheduled this past Friday and today off for camping but since needed to pack and start moving stuff out we had cancelled the camping trip but had a nice 4-day weekend so that was good.

Everyone have a good week!

Had the most hilarious type dream last night...which you will appreciate for the way it ended.  I was helping throw a fancy dinner party somewhere, and we needed to do so much stuff to get ready that we were actually replacing the wallpaper minutes before people were to arrive.  I was frantically trying to find the right basket to coordinate with the colors in the lounge when this guy arrived with some bottles of wine and we realized we had no good wine glasses.  I ended up just giving in to the inevitable and brought in a wine glass with some kind of cartoon character etched on it which had obviously not been used in a long time because I was still drying it with a dish towel as I came back in the room.  The guy was really into wine but was gracious enough about the lack of quality glasses and in fact had brought his own anyway.  Whew!  I must have given up on appearances at that point because the next thing I know I was curled up on the couch ignoring the rest of the preparations and letting him pour me a taste.  (This in itself makes little sense as I almost never drink wine.)  It was incredible and was playing at being a wine snob myself asking him if that was a hint of star anise I tasted...really impressed him!  ROFL! 

Uh so much so that the dream flashed forward to the next morning where the self same guy was carrying me out to a lacey canopy bed in the garden for breakfast in bed in the morning sun among the roses....way romantic overkill...and then the alarm went off. 

Well.  Dreaming about breakfast, could anything be more ridiculous for me?!?  At least I know now under which circumstances I would find eating in the morning appealing.  Now to just make a list of all the things from that scenario that I'm currently missing....hmmm, guy, garden, staff to make this breakfast...  Rats.  Looks like I'm going to have to come up with another strategy for June after all.

Hi all. Wake was last night, funeral today. Really tough, but also very therapeutic for my SIL's family. I hope they find some measure of peace now. I did manage to add a bit of comic relief to the wake. While standing with my daughters, all three of us in a group hug and crying, I snorted. This was enough to trigger a much-needed laugh out of us. I like to do what I can to help...  :wacko:

You will love this, in all my hubris over being so ahead of the game, I completely forgot to plan anything for next week!  ROFL

Bahahahahaha! Needed this laugh, thank you!!

Oh, good! Now I won't have to wait 92 months to retire... (Seriously, that's how long it is. Oh boy...)

Turkey and Zuchinni Meatloaf with Roasted Red Potatoes - excited about this because my local Whole Foods finally got in Tessemae's ketchup.  I've made this meatloaf before, basically ground turkey, chopped zuchinni, mushrooms, onion, whatever spices, and an egg or two to help hold it together but I honestly find turkey doesn't need a lot of binding.  It's pretty basic tasting so I'm curious to see if a dab of ketchup does anything special or not.  I've heard their ketchup is compliant but doesn't really taste like ketchup.  Could be, but so far their products have all exceeded my expectations so I'm hopeful.

I didn't care for the ketchup and BBQ sauce. Not a fan of the date-based stuff. But I also didn't care for any of the Tessemae's, so maybe my opinion won't hold true for you.

After a very draining day, it's bedtime. Will check in soon! XOXO

Archived