Tigers and Turtles - 2016

Crimsann

Nancy, so glad to see you back on the screen. I know you have been a comfort to your family, snorting and all. I believe laughter is so important at times like these. Glad you were able to give them that gift, a sell as the many gifts that come from just being YOU.

Crimsann, thanks so much for sharing the meal plan....very great ideas. So, each week you plan 2 meals and make enough of it to cover all 14 meals ( minus meal 1)? That is surly one way to simplify....don't you get bored with rotating two things out for all those meals???

I've given up looking for a great 30 days ahead when some event won't interfere with a whole 30, so I am just going to do my best to be compliant all the time, except for the really special occasions ahead, and then not go crazy...then maybe I can do a very strict 60or more starting in August after I return from vacation. There is plenty I can do to make myself feel and be better...and no reason not to ramp that up right now.

Otherwise, all is well here. Keep taking good care everyone.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crimsann, just read through your meal plan again.  From my chair, where I am currently soaking my feet.  I am too pooped to... well, do much of anything tonight.  Your list sounds good though, perhaps I will manage to put food in myself before I become horizontal.

Nancy, that laughter made me smile remembering my grandfather's funeral.  He was very proper and was always on the kids not to run around "acting like sheenies" (I don't know what that is, but it must be bad). Long story short, while everyone was arriving at the funeral home and getting into their seats, my oldest aunt announced to her sisters that she was going to go "work the crowd." They giggled through most of the funeral.

Crimsann, thanks so much for sharing the meal plan....very great ideas. So, each week you plan 2 meals and make enough of it to cover all 14 meals ( minus meal 1)? That is surly one way to simplify....don't you get bored with rotating two things out for all those meals???

To be honest?  Yes and no...a couple things in play here for me though.  First, I'm single and a lot of recipes just make enough for 5 days worth at least when you are getting 4-5 servings already so it's either that or freeze things.  While that would eventually have an upside in a well stocked freezer, it's a lot of hassle.  Secondly though for me is time.  I know I harp on this a lot, but Monday - Friday I am literally either at work or on the road to and from work for 14 hours out of the day.  Assuming I want to get even the minimum 8 hours of sleep (and I rarely do) that leaves me exactly two hours per day.  And keep in mind, those two hours also have to accommodate things like taking a shower, getting dressed, packing lunch and eating let alone any kind of workout or personal time for anything whatsoever.  During my first Whole30 I made it work to be able to eat a home cooked breakfast and a home cooked dinner, but it meant giving up sleep.  Not really ideal, especially not for going at my pace.  So if I can knock out the cooking I need to do on the weekend and even pre-portion some lunch things, it's almost essential really to making this work for me.  I also tend to be more "on the fly" on the weekends, either picking up a little something else while marketing or using up some of the ingredients in a different way when I have more time to cook so it's only 5 days of repetition.  All the more important to reeeeaaaalllly like what I make though.  The weeks I try something new and hate it are rather miserable.   

Not all gloom and doom though, the super fantastic upside to working like a fiend?  Unless I stash it at my desk, I'm not around any kind of temptation for nearly 100% of my waking hours.  I don't have the same struggle I hear others facing of getting home early in the evening and eating and then trying to keep my mind off snacks until bedtime.  I have what I brought with me, and that's that.  It's a lot easier to ignore vending machines than your own fridge I suspect, and I have my brain fully engaged on other things.  This is why I often say my single biggest issue with food is not cravings, my brain has long since realized that's just futility because I'm rarely around anything to make the craving a reality.  No, my problem is not being hungry or mindful of eating regularly.  It's too easy on my schedule to go long stretches with no food and I'm way too adapted to that.  Before finding W30, and a good number of times between rounds, it was nothing at all for me to eat one meal a day even if I had opportunities to eat more often.  Something I'm still chipping away at.  Sigh. 

So that's why my focus for June is that morning meal and I'm thinking about also putting into place a curfew for that month.  Last year I promised myself to journal every single day and I did a lot more complicated cooking and while I made it through my 30 days, like I said, it was at the expense of sleep.  This year I won't be journaling and will try to limit my nighttime posting, simplify my evening meal and packing process as much as possible, and sadly....scrimp on personal time instead.  Feel free to read that as "playing video games time" because that's probably the truest.  LOL!  It's for one month, and I need to start thinking about things like healthy eating and sleeping and (ick) exercise AS me time.  My inner child kicks and screams that I deserve some time for fun, and that's probably true, but I also need to take a hard look at prioritizing those two hours and what I really want for myself. 

Nancy, that laughter made me smile remembering my grandfather's funeral.  He was very proper and was always on the kids not to run around "acting like sheenies" (I don't know what that is, but it must be bad). Long story short, while everyone was arriving at the funeral home and getting into their seats, my oldest aunt announced to her sisters that she was going to go "work the crowd." They giggled through most of the funeral.

This is so exactly what would come out of my mouth and all the explaining in the world wouldn't have stopped my sister from giggling straight into the hereafter herself.  

When my mother-in-law passed away, we were standing respectfully at her casket when someone pointed to a small stain on the dress that she was wearing. She was known for dribbling food on herself. We roared with laughter. And then my father-in-law was buried a couple of years later with a stain on his tie. Long history in my ex's family of laughing at funerals! It is very important to have some comic relief of all sorts.

I am one who can eat the same thing over and over. I find something I like and stick with it. That's nice when I make a huge pot of soup. Now that I'm using my pressure cooker more, I make smaller batches of different things, but I end up making two recipes and eating them for breakfast and lunch all week. Totally ok with that. 

Crimsann, I totally understand the difficulties of those long days. I've never had a day that long, but I used to commute for two hours and it was not pleasant. I can only imagine your struggle!

I'm going to be doing some paleo reading this weekend, and at least getting back to that and no sugar. There are lots of paleo recipes for my pressure cooker, so that helps. I will still use cream in my coffee because the coconut milk is a lot less convenient. 

Me!  Oh, not that it's a huge surprise being that I've gabbed about it for weeks now. 

Working on downloading an alarm clock app for my laptop to gently remind me of upcoming curfew.  And setting my morning alarm clock for that earlier hour I can't even mention. 

My lunches are made, had one today since why bother buying something non-compliant for less than half a week.  I should report on the ketchup...I tend to agree with Nancy, didn't really care for it.  I certainly wouldn't trade in my favorite Sir Kensington brand for this stuff outside a W30, but it's not too hateful on the meatloaf.  It is far more like a tomato sauce than ketchup though which really makes me wonder how much sugar actually is in ketchup.  Dates are pretty sweet, if they aren't able to bring up ketchup to it's usually tangy sweet standards I sort of shudder to think...

Well the downside of my June plan is the rush to get myself fed and settled in before curfew so will do my best to check in more during the day.  I am on one of the June 1 threads as well.  It's gathering some steam now, but I'm always a little sad to wonder how many of these people will still be posting this time next week. 

Fist bump Susan, hope you get a strong start tomorrow and knock this half week out!

Off to a good start. Sweet potato hash and steamed spinach with ghee for br4eakfast.

Crimsann, the FDA just passed a law requiring added sugar be a separate line item on the nutritional label.  I don't remember when that goes into effect but I bet we'll be amazed at how much is in some things - like 12 teaspoons in a regular 12 oz. coke.

I'm off to the Y for a 2-hour yoga class and then I'm getting my summar short and spiky haircut.

Ugh, I'm soooo jealous of yoga classes...it's only now that I have no time at all that a place opens up within eye sight of my office building.  None of the times have worked out yet even for a shorter class, but I would love to have two hours of that today!  Although I will admit it's just as much the idea that I would have two disposable hours as it is what I would be doing with them.   Yoga and new hair?!  That doesn't seem fair.  ::pout, pout:: 

I had a whim this morning that I may follow through on, I think I need to invest in at least one really comfortable patio chair and move my breakfast outside.  Um, obviously ONLY for this time of year, but still.  The heat doesn't bother me at all and I know the sun exposure would be beneficial but right now I have to eat with a plate perched on my knees while I sit on the steps and listen to Beatrice the Bee who lives in my garden sass at me for being within 100 yards of HER domain.  I have a hammock for hanging outdoors though I don't use it as much as I should, but that's not really conducive to eating either.  I can see all the dangers of that, I'm a million times more likely to end up napping and then I would be late to work and sunburned!  So mission for this weekend is to find something that is comfortable but will stand up to being exposed to the weather as the best spot doesn't have any shelter. 

The alarm app didn't work too well last night so I need to try something else tonight.  Should have started testing this sooner, but I will figure something out!

Susan and Crimsann - sounds like you both are off to a good start.  We will be here supporting you all the way.  Crimsann - breakfast outside is soooo worth it.  The last few weeks I have not been going to the Y as usual in the AMs before work but I have been enjoying my coffee and breakfast outside.  After this week will have to find a balance between time at the Y and enjoying time outside before work I guess though :ph34r:

Everyone finish the week out strong!

It's amazing how easy it is to slip back into the W30 groove again. Yesterday was a good day and I wasn't needing snacks at all. I'm very fair skinned so can't take the sun, have allergies to grass, mold, trees, and weeds so I don't go outside much. I have a stroller for my cat and take him for a walk several daus a week.

I probably lost a pound of hair. Because I'm in the pool at the Y or here in our development every day, I keep it very short in the summer. It's not quite 3/4 inch long on top.  My husband loved long hair and after he passed away, I went and got it cut very short and I haven't turned back yet. I love the freedom.

Water aerobics today and then I'm off to meet my quilting bee. We are making pillowcase dresses today to send to Africa.

We've had so much rain, and more on tap until next Monday, that all the plants are turning yellow from too much water and all the weeds are flourishing.

Have a wonderful day.

I am also in, Susan and Crimsann. Starting a day late (today), and will do a modified version between June 24 and 27

Happy to have you!  I am laughing because as I read this my brain did a quick head count that sounded like...Susan, Crimsann, and Mergan...lol! 

Must be the sugar deprivation of Day 2.5

I am not going to make the June W30, but will be sticking as close as I can to my healthy foods.  I seem to be operating ok on the egg protein/fruit/veg smoothies.  Trying to stay off sugar, soy, and grains.  Very limited dairy, less than once a week and usually involves a sprinkle of parmesan on a salad.  When the overtime slows down and I get a chance to turn around, I will definitely be up for another round. 

Of course, if the rain keeps up down here, we'll be shut down long enough for me to get that week 1 timeline out of the way.  I really don't think that the mass flooding would be beneficial for anyone else, however.

Sounds like you guys are off to a good start, though. :) I will be watching enviously, lol. 

Hi

Have been so busy here haven't had a chance to get online, I am in for June and July. I have to back off coffee as my adrenals are kicking up again and am sure it is coffee.

Haven't been in the water this past week, between tides being at the wrong end of my day and having to be away from home, so I went in this morning and didn't get past my knees--it was so cold I couldn't stay longer than a few seconds. 

Now! You want to hear something really good????

I decided since I haven't been in the water I had better get on the stationary bike, so attempted to mount the thing, I couldn't get high enough to get on the seat and I got really frightened like I have become so unfit I can't even get on the bike, then realized my husband had been on it so the seat must need adjusting. So did that and still struggled but got on then started pedalling, nearly tore my leg out the socket trying to go all the way around. So got off and really felt horrible, not sure what to do how can I fix this, how could I be so unfit in a week??? I finally confessed to my husband who laughed so hard he nearly fell over, he had adjusted it to suit him, it was nothing to do with the seat and with a flick of the wrist he sorted it and I managed to get on with no problem and my legs were long enough to stay on the pedals. So it is not just electronics that baffle me.

And on that note I am going to prepare dinner. Hope you all have a good weekend. 

Hi, Where is everyone. I have changed computers and didn't realize I had to sign in again so have just gotten back. My first few days have been a bit of a disaster but tomorrow we start over. Will check in again tomorrow.

Good morning, ladies! Another hot and humid day in store for my corner of the world.

I'm having a struggle but so far have kept to the W30. I don't have much appetite when its hot so its hard for me to get all the food in when I should, and then I feel the need for a small snack in the afternoon.

MissLindy, I LOL at you and the bike. That sounds like something I'd do. The water is still a little cool, but I'm in the water everyday now. I love the water! I have a 2-hour yoga class this afternoon and then I'll swim.

I'm going to spiralize some zucchini, yellow squash, and cucumber then add some onion and celery and make a balsamic vinegrette today. I'll have it with a chicken breast.

Have a great day!

Work is still crazy so I'm struggling to keep up with things here and on the June thread and pretty much just in general.  Luckily I had those plans set up in advance and didn't really have to think about shopping or cooking this week.  I'm not entirely in love with my menu for this week so I may do a trip to Whole Foods at lunch tomorrow and take that Papaya Pork in a different direction.  I had been having trouble finding their pineapple salsa over the winter, but it was something I enjoyed last summer and fingers crossed it might be back. 

Internet is acting up tonight so I'm going to keep this super short...not even sure it will save...but I promise to try and check in again very soon and even have another niece story to share!  ;)

Hi, good day today but no exercise, lashes coming up. I have been interrupted several times today and therefore gotten off track with my work so that makes life a challenge. Now have two late clients and have to extend the day, not something I like to do at all. Oh, well.

Will check in tomorrow and hopefully be on track. Food has been good, not enough water and little exercise. I need the swim but too too cold now--even for me. :)

I'm still here, more or less, lol. Between the incredible rain and the insane hours we're working it's been exhausting lately. Even my compulsive neatness at home is suffering. This morning ad we were rushing out into the dark I noticed that there is a SOCK on the living room floor and coffee cups on the sink. That is going to bug me all day. ;-P

I bought a spiralizer, wanting to do up some sweet potatoes and such, so far it's still in the box waiting for me to get a spare minute.

Still hanging in on mostly healthy foods waiting for enough of a break in overtime to let me get through the week 1 timeline. I can see me trying to explain to safety (assuming I lived through the experience) that I walked in front of a forklift because I was suffering day 2-3 brain fog. :-D

Helloooooo Crimsann, NancyW, misslindy, QuilterInVA... SO nice to find you here! I've been reading up on some of your posts since Feb, and am appreciating the community you have continued to build and maintain here. Super awesome!!

I'm on the Whole30 for June, have been eating mostly paleo since our initial adventures last June and September. Feeling pretty good overall, but still working through a few minor GI issues. Planning to see a functional medicine practitioner in a month or two and get some testing done. Been reading a lot about the gut microbiome and how to keep it healthy. Interesting stuff!

Stoked that so many of you are focused on increasing exercise. Some of your posts are so inspiring!

I generally try to limit my online time, so may just pop in here and there. Wishing you all well... Rah Rah, GO team!! : )

Helloooooo Crimsann, NancyW, misslindy, QuilterInVA... SO nice to find you here! I've been reading up on some of your posts since Feb, and am appreciating the community you have continued to build and maintain here. Super awesome!!

I'm on the Whole30 for June, have been eating mostly paleo since our initial adventures last June and September. Feeling pretty good overall, but still working through a few minor GI issues. Planning to see a functional medicine practitioner in a month or two and get some testing done. Been reading a lot about the gut microbiome and how to keep it healthy. Interesting stuff!

Stoked that so many of you are focused on increasing exercise. Some of your posts are so inspiring!

I generally try to limit my online time, so may just pop in here and there. Wishing you all well... Rah Rah, GO team!! : )

Vozelle, glad to hear from you. I often wonder how you are doing. 

Seconding that one!  What a fun surprise!  I've missed my fellow Red's from June...now if we could only dig Ruby out of retirement!

Only a second to update today...my co-worker total dropped back to ZERO today so....ah so flipping tired of this.  And I volunteered to hostess a mocktail and cupcake going away party next week.  I'm pretty much nutso.  Totally planning to rock a La Croix Sparkler with the World's Most Crammed With Fruit Swizzle Stick!  It's going to be epic. 

Question: is an InstaPot the same as a programmable pressure cooker? Just a brand name? I am seriously going to sell a few kitchen items and get one I think. I have the crockpot going non stop lately and want to make yogurt so think I need that. Any ideas anyone?

Glad to have you with us!

MissLindy, it's Instant Pot that you would be looking for. Hands down it is the best out there. It's a steamer, a slow cooker, a rice cooker, a pressure cooker, a yogurt maker, porridge (oatmeal) setting and you also have a saute function so you can brown meat, saute veggies a bit, and stuff like that before you pressure cook. There is a huge Instant Pot community on Facebook with all kinds of recipes and helpful support. We get people who have other brands  that are looking for answers. I got mine from Amazon Warehouse deals and saved about $40 because the box had a crumpled corner. I used to make the Kahula Pork in the crockpot and it took 16 hours and in the Instant Pot it takes 90 minutes. I made potato salad by dicing the potatoes and then putting eggs in their shell on top of the potatoes. Once it came up to pressure, I cooked 4 minutes. Those eggs literally fall out of their shell and after the eggs and potatoes cooled a little I added the rest of my ingredients. Yum! If you are only looking at it to make yogurt, I'd just get a yogurt maker.

With the hot weather, I've been eating a lot of salads. I make chicken, egg, tuna, and salmon salads, chop up onions, celery, peppers, radishes, carrots and then I'm ready to make a quick salad in a hurry.

I love yoga and yesterday I was finally able to do Crane which means standing on one leg, raising the other behind you and grabbing it with your hand and hinging at the hips.

I'm quilting with friends today. I'm taking my lunch for they want to send out for Chinese. We always have so much fun.

Archived