Tigers and Turtles - 2016

Crimsann

Every time I hear about Instant Pot I think, now...I really need to look into that.  I use my crockpot all the time, and while I don't mind doing pork on low for most of the day, it definitely would be nice to have some quicker cooking times on other dishes....plus freeing up that counter space since I also do a ton of cooking on a George Foreman grill or my electric griddle.  That one counter and outlet are prime territory! 

I'm also still really curious about that yogurt feature even though Nancy's review wasn't too thrilled with it. 

I'm with you on salads though, I started out this week with that lunch menu for Papaya Pork over Cauli Rice but I do a roasted version of that and it just felt too heavy for summer.  By Tuesday I was running out to Whole Foods to grab some pineapple salsa and salad greens and turned it into a cold pulled pork salad which really hit the spot much better.  Trying to and post a picture, but struggling to do this from my current location so it just shows up as so tiny or really blurry...LOL!  I promise that if it does the tiny pic it is not an actual representation of the size of the salad!!!!

27510927446_151e4d5de7_m.jpg

I give up.  Still at zero co-workers today, I definitely need something to live in the moment...but can't think what.  Clearly not looking to food for a perk-up but my brain needs a major break and this probably would have been a run out for a coffee lunch type day.  Maybe my next area to plan will be a list of quick cheer-me-up's that are not food related.  Definitely not a good day to brainstorm anything though. 

So brain dead in fact that I'm logging in to post...and also to check my own meal plan for next week since I have no idea what I wrote down and can't seem to remember any of it.  LOL![/url]

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the advice re Instant Pot; I want to use the yogurt feature but my crock pot is going all the time and it would be nice to have things quicker with less fiddling. Not sure I can get such an animal as Instant Pot here in NZ but will look.

I have so many pots and pans, etc that I have no room for more stuff without deleting some and my husband is so reluctant to let anything go it makes life difficult at times.

have to run, he is now tapping his foot ready to leave and I'm not even dressed--can you tell what my day is going to be like? Will come back to you.

So here is a weird twist...my "live in the moment" thing ended up being hitting the treadmill when I got home for a run because I was so steamed after the kind of weeks I've been having.  Something I pretty much never do.  I was shocked at how long I was able to keep that up without being totally winded and the fact that I wasn't extremely sore the next day.  Ended up doing it again the next night. 

I took the weekend off from that before I pushed myself too far, but I may toy around with a short run while I'm waiting on veggies to roast tonight and see.  It's nothing drastic, we are talking 20-30 minutes max including some warmup/cooldown walking or I will have blackened veggies but my lunches for this week are super low maintenance on packing and that's usually what I'm doing while waiting on dinner to cook.  I'm not setting up any kind of "I will do this X number of times per week" or anything, that usually just guarantees I don't comply when it comes to exercise so this is just something I'm playing with. 

I'm copying over a link that one of the girls in the June group posted because she raved about the mushroom gravy on this and it did sound good to me.  I have not tried this yet, but I may add it somewhere in over the next couple of weeks.  I'm thinking it could work into a nice sauce over meatloaf as well, I haven't done as much with mushrooms as I probably could have since I do really like them.  For some reason they have just been off my radar lately.  http://paleomg.com/salisbury-steak-burgers-with-mushroom-gravy/

Made these crackers for a travel snack. Replaced the tamari with coconut aminos, and viola! Please note that I am a lazy chef, so these were a little on the labor-intensive side for me… But for those of you who love to use your food processor and love to cook, it's a fun recipe. I love that there are vegetables in these crackers, rather than just nuts and seeds… Reduces the calories and increases the fiber!

http://tohercore.com/paleo-veggie-crackers/

Quick hi! I did the Relay for Life on Friday night, and walked most of the night. Blisters galore...but it was a wonderful event, and quality time with my SIL's family. We are already planning on doing it again next year.

Re: Instant Pot - LOVE that thing! Just threw some stuff in there tonight and had soup made with frozen chicken breasts in 15 minutes, then added some pasta spirals and did another 4 minutes. Done! The yogurt turned out ok, I just didn't like the tangy with the coconut. That was an awful combination! I plan to try regular dairy yogurt soon so will let you know how it turns out. 

Vozelle, good to see you!

I'm glad everyone is chugging along. 

Nancy, so good to see your post. I was wondering about you. I put a 2# flank steak in the Instant Pot last night and 20 minutes later I had a wonderfully tender steak with some lovely broth. I threw some potatoes and carrots in the broth and 4 minutes cooking and dinner was on the table. Love my IP!

Today is the half-way mark for this W30. Doing okay so far. It wasn't hard to get back to it so perhaps I hadn't strayed as far as I thought. I really have to work on this all or nothing mentality and let myself enjoy a little offroading when not on a W30 without feeling guilty. Maybe Melissa's new book will help with that. I've been reading the blog and she's been addressing some after W30 issues there.

Hi

I am sad to say I will not be getting an Instant Pot--they are not available here and the next reason is I have hit a major roadblock with the man of the house. So have to do more things with what I have. I would love to get rid of some of the things I have quite frankly but we seem to accumulate and never declutter--he is worse than I am. So will live vicariously through you all with your lovely pots!

Doing well, have been working on exercise out of the water and have to say it is not as much fun as in the water and not as beneficial. My knee has seized completely so am doing half-bike exercises and some stretching. What a pain in the ptoot!

Food is going well so that is one thing. Although I am trying to bake bread, which I have done every week for well over 10 years and the past few months every loaf I make sinks in the middle. I am ready to through the machine out the window, well actually did that and have gone back to an old version of the same make, not working any better. Something is different and I don't know what. 

Back to the drawing board. :)

Made these crackers for a travel snack. Replaced the tamari with coconut aminos, and viola! Please note that I am a lazy chef, so these were a little on the labor-intensive side for me… But for those of you who love to use your food processor and love to cook, it's a fun recipe. I love that there are vegetables in these crackers, rather than just nuts and seeds… Reduces the calories and increases the fiber!

http://tohercore.com/paleo-veggie-crackers/

I may have to try this if I can get a minute to call my own. :)  My dear husband came up with a great idea for my lunches in the hot weather. I've been making it with the smoothie and he asked why I didn't just make cold soup instead...  Why did I not think of this? 

Miss Lindy, I have a vivid image of bread machine sailing through the window.  It's something my mom would do.  May have done, even, lol.  It infuriates her when her baked goods don't turn out right.  My temper maaaaay become touchy in that instance also, lol.  My own particular nemesis used to be pie crust.  I guess I just didn't have the patience for it.  The final straw came one day when I was due to deliver my first child any day and was making cherry pies after some "kind" soul gave me a bushel of cherries.  Apparently I was not thinking clearly - it was mid-August, I was heavily pregnant, living in a trailer; baking was not the best choice here.  Nevertheless, there I was in the kitchen trying to bake as many pies as the oven would hold.  Somewhere around the 5th pie crust things went horribly wrong and it WOULD NOT hold together. It was already somewhat oily, it should have been working.  I lost my cool entirely and burst into tears, balled up the mess, and threw it at the wall.  After a couple minutes of frustrated sobbing I noticed that the blob of crust had slid down the wall and was on the floor.  As I picked it up, I noticed that it seemed to be quite a bit more malleable than it was before - SO I SLAPPED IT ON THE COUNTER, ROLLED IT INTO A PERFECT PIE CRUST, BAKED IT, AND GAVE IT TO MY MOTHER IN LAW!!! :D

I blame the hormones, lol.

Miss Lindy, I have a vivid image of bread machine sailing through the window.  It's something my mom would do.  May have done, even, lol.  It infuriates her when her baked goods don't turn out right.  My temper maaaaay become touchy in that instance also, lol.  My own particular nemesis used to be pie crust.  I guess I just didn't have the patience for it.  The final straw came one day when I was due to deliver my first child any day and was making cherry pies after some "kind" soul gave me a bushel of cherries.  Apparently I was not thinking clearly - it was mid-August, I was heavily pregnant, living in a trailer; baking was not the best choice here.  Nevertheless, there I was in the kitchen trying to bake as many pies as the oven would hold.  Somewhere around the 5th pie crust things went horribly wrong and it WOULD NOT hold together. It was already somewhat oily, it should have been working.  I lost my cool entirely and burst into tears, balled up the mess, and threw it at the wall.  After a couple minutes of frustrated sobbing I noticed that the blob of crust had slid down the wall and was on the floor.  As I picked it up, I noticed that it seemed to be quite a bit more malleable than it was before - SO I SLAPPED IT ON THE COUNTER, ROLLED IT INTO A PERFECT PIE CRUST, BAKED IT, AND GAVE IT TO MY MOTHER IN LAW!!! :D

I blame the hormones, lol.

Oh, how funny. And what a great thing to do. I will be laughing about this for weeks. The bread machine is coming dangerously close to ending up in the tip. Even the birds are turning their noses up at the results!

Okay so I have had three bread failures in a row. I am ready to spit tacks. I am trying one more today and if that doesn't work I am sending my husband to live elsewhere and won't have to make bread at all. See there is always a solution. :)

Miss Lindy, I assume you're making yeast bread?  How old is the yeast? Or if not yeast, aged baking powder?  I have not baked real bread in so long I can't think of anything else.  The only other thing I can think of affecting it would be altitude or serious change in humidity, but you haven't moved.  I will ask mom and see if she can think of anything, would hate to see you send the man away, lol.

On the up side, today I had a lovely cold sweet potato/carrot soup with egg white protein in it.  It was great.  I have cucumbers, trying to decide if I have enough gumption to run the food processor and make the soup tonight.

Miss Lindy, I assume you're making yeast bread?  How old is the yeast? Or if not yeast, aged baking powder?  I have not baked real bread in so long I can't think of anything else.  The only other thing I can think of affecting it would be altitude or serious change in humidity, but you haven't moved.  I will ask mom and see if she can think of anything, would hate to see you send the man away, lol.

On the up side, today I had a lovely cold sweet potato/carrot soup with egg white protein in it.  It was great.  I have cucumbers, trying to decide if I have enough gumption to run the food processor and make the soup tonight.

Your soup sounds lovely and I could do with some right now.

I have thought of almost everything that could go wrong, changed the yeast, bought new, changed flour, bought new, changed the oil I used, have read and reread the manual a thousand times and can't figure it out. The best thing to do would be to send your mum to stay for a while, she can do the baking and I will do whatever she would like me to.

All sorts of shenanigans going on here while I had my back turned! 

Made it through the cupcake baking and mocktail party yesterday without so much as licking a finger...was more tempted by the icy fruit drinks but that had more to do with wanting to cool off after running around like crazy getting ready.  It was an idle thought, took no action on it.

I am however struggling with the idea that I want to take off the weekend in between the end of June and starting back on the program in July.  It's like once the seed was planted....well, I have two weeks to decide what that would really mean.  I don't have anything in mind that I want to eat specifically, but I have spent a lot of time on the program this year and a weekend of not having to think quite so much sounds appealing.  Could be that I'm just in that sticky middle point of 30 days where it feels like it will never end and I can't wait for it to.  I'm often less likely to jump right off the program once I hit the the end stages so maybe it won't seem like such a great idea then. 

Probably what I really need is an actual vacation from work after the monster months of covering so much.  Both co-workers are back on site now this week, though it's touch and go with at least one of them. 

Well, I'm off to work some on my meal plan.  Found this other lovely idea on the June group thread for a replacement for "garlic bread", not sure you could pass slices of this off on the old man though Miss Lindy...but could be worth a try!

http://paleoleap.com/oven-roasted-garlic-cabbage/

I'm thinking about making up a batch of meatballs and tomato sauce and giving this a whirl for dinners next week.  Still mulling over lunches though, not sure I want a third straight week of salads even though the temps sort of call for it. 

Your soup sounds lovely and I could do with some right now.

I have thought of almost everything that could go wrong, changed the yeast, bought new, changed flour, bought new, changed the oil I used, have read and reread the manual a thousand times and can't figure it out. The best thing to do would be to send your mum to stay for a while, she can do the baking and I will do whatever she would like me to.

Mom said on her model, falling center usually involves too much liquid or too much yeast.  She says she lets it mix for a bit and then lifts the lid.  If it looks sticky she tosses in a handful of flour. (She has never measured a thing, lol. When she wanted to put a recipe in the church cookbook I had to follow right behind her and measure everything she threw in the bowl.)  She also offered to come and throw the bread machine out the window for you. :D

The soup is definitely working for me for lunch now - I did not make the cucumber last night, but did a sweet potato/spinach with pomegranate. (Using up leftover frozen things in my freezer, lol).  It turned out surprisingly well, the pomegranate gave it a nice tart finish.  I may get the hang of this yet. :)

Mom said on her model, falling center usually involves too much liquid or too much yeast.  She says she lets it mix for a bit and then lifts the lid.  If it looks sticky she tosses in a handful of flour. (She has never measured a thing, lol. When she wanted to put a recipe in the church cookbook I had to follow right behind her and measure everything she threw in the bowl.)  She also offered to come and throw the bread machine out the window for you. :D

The soup is definitely working for me for lunch now - I did not make the cucumber last night, but did a sweet potato/spinach with pomegranate. (Using up leftover frozen things in my freezer, lol).  It turned out surprisingly well, the pomegranate gave it a nice tart finish.  I may get the hang of this yet. :)

Thanks, I agree with your mom, that is what the book says too. There is definitely not too much fluid and I measure the yeast like a hawk. Now the batch I made last night can qualify as a defensive weapon. I am heading to the shop to buy a mix.

Your mom, and you are most welcome to come to the tossing party.

Hi all, been checking in on your posts and following along... even peeked in on Crimsaan's June 1st group (going strong!). I am carrying along, continuing with the Whole30 lifestyle... So used to it now, after a year of paleo consciousness. Sending you all many blessings, wherever you are on the journey.

DARN it! There is some secret button on my keyboard that, when I hit it, wipes out my whole post before I can click the "post" button.  :rolleyes: Here we go again...

I've been busy at work trying to get caught up and a little ahead if possible because I'll be out of the office all next week, and through July 5 (my birthday. I never work on my birthday!). My sister is coming to Milwaukee from GA for Summerfest (world's largest music festival) like she does every year, and we keep adding different social things in that, once they happen the first time, are automatically "tradition." So we have events on Saturday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. All revolve around food, and all will cost $$$. Unfortunately, I just had the AC replaced in my car to the tune of $1200. That's gonna hurt!

When all of that is over with, I will pay more attention to what I'm eating. Won't necessarily be W30, but will be carb-restricted. Still thinking about just how it's going to look, but it will definitely be so sugar, no processed foods. That in itself should put me ahead of the game! I have lost 8 pounds in the last few weeks, so I take that as a good sign.

I've enjoyed the pie-crust/bread stories! Thanks for the chuckles!

One week to go...it's not been my best ever W30, but it's still going!  I'm still debating the time off, I probably will take that before diving back in for July and I will not be joining a July group since I am open to do some non-compliant intention things that month.  I got a tip for some otherwise compliant tortilla wraps that I want to try...would love to have some scrambled eggs and veggies in one.  I don't know WHY the wrap and being able to carry it around adds something, but it just does.  Maybe they will taste terrible and not be worth it, but it's on the list for July.  As is that almond flour pasta I've still not managed to try. 

I feel like I haven't been posting here as much but the truth is I haven't been all that active on the June group either...for once...me...with not much to say!  It happens! 

I do have a cute niece story to share though, and you guys get those.  I haven't had as many stories about my younger niece because she is not yet 1 so hasn't done much other than just be cute and that's not much of a story in and of itself.  But she does play a role in this one. 

So the other day my sister told the older girl that if she was good she could get some new bath crayons, and I guess she slept all day or something but somehow managed to qualify.  Some last minute negotiations went down though and she ended up getting a new bath toy instead.  Some kind of whale that blows bubbles.  That night they were in the bath together and my sister had her back turned folding laundry while they played when a fight broke out.  The younger niece is just getting old enough now to sit up on her own and has enough coordination to grab at something if it catches her eye and she decided SHE wanted the whale.  So the older one is tugging it back and shouting "NO!"  My sister breaks this up a couple of times only to have it start up again before she finally told the older girl that if she heard her say "NO!" one more time the whale was going away...she has to learn to share...same old parent song and dance.  This time when she turned her back it stayed quiet, which I imagine is the first sign that all is not well for any parent!  She finally sneaks a glance over her shoulder to find them right back in the same tug of war but this time the older girl is violently shaking her head no and not uttering a peep.

Ah, the sneaky little mind.  The letter of the law was being strictly adhered to, not even a whispered "No!"...but she zoomed right in on that loophole!

I think I need to enlist her to help plan my next 30-days...I bet she could find all kinds of tricks for staying "compliant".  LOL!

So, I think I've come up with a plan to address my holiday...

I took a look back over June to analyze what I had done well with...and what not so much...and created a list of things I wanted to hammer down on.  I'm using this last week now to really focus on those and if I check off all the little boxes, I can "buy" that holiday weekend. 

This is sort of using food as a reward, but in a sort of round about way.  It means hitting that curfew, which I have done more than not but have not been perfect with.  It also means not only eating before I leave the house but ALSO making it to work on time (barring complete highway meltdown that is out of my control).  It also means one of two possible exercise paths...one is quick but "painful" (a number of situps that makes me wince but is just on the edge of doable), the other is painless but time consuming (30 minutes on the treadmill).  I can't say I can't get one of those in, but neither are exactly the easy way out and it's something I sort of want to do for July so this is a good trial of it.   And of course the usual, eating all three meals with all of the template components even if I don't feel hungry.   

My phone deal last week which you guys were spared from hearing about was moving to a new carrier, getting a new phone, and part of the package was getting a decent deal on an Apple Watch...so most of my weekend was spent trying to make heads or tails of that.  I'm so far underwhelmed with it's activity tracker, but I suspect it's actually more beneficial than what I'm currently using.  It doesn't reward with me with a lot of "big" numbers, but is more focused on the quality of the movement.  I would have to kick into another gear to even make the starter goals it gave me which is probably a good thing but doesn't end my day on quite the same self satisfied glow.  LOL! 

And then there are moments like sitting in my bosses office, pushing a button I thought would allow it to stream my music to my wrist...then pushing the volume button as high as it would go because I still didn't hear anything...only to find out 15 minutes later what that button REALLY does is remotely turn on the music on my phone and treat my co-workers to an unexpected afternoon serenade at top volume from my desk.  :o

Hi all! Perfect week to spend some quiet time at home--NOT! They are building a garage right outside my apartment, and are pounding on the roof. Have been all day. Not enjoying that a whole lot. I'm gearing up for a big week of summer vacation fun, and then back to...something. What? I'm not so sure. I'm getting tired of now knowing what to do next. I did just buy the Nom Nom Paleo cookbook. I have it on my Kindle, but that format doesn't work for me. So I got the book, and it's a start. 

See you after my vacation!

Crimsann, LOVED the story about your nieces!!  :lol:

Crimsann, your technology glitch made me laugh. If I was your coworker I would have been dancing to the music!

NancyW, I checked out Nom Nom Paleo from the library a few times, I like that book! Have fun and share your faves with us.

Update: In the home stretch for this Whole30, just a few days to go! Meals have been super challenging the last few days because I had to have laser gum surgery on Friday. I'm on a strict liquid diet this week, and will move on to mushy foods next week while my gums heal. Since putting MEAT in the blender is just weird, getting enough protein has been challenging! I discovered "hemp protein" powder and have been putting that in smoothies ( I know, I know, smoothies are not allowed… But I have had no choice here! ). I have also become an expert at making bone broth and vegetable puréed soups. But I am looking forward to eating plain yogurt this weekend, and having a wider variety of foods to choose from for "mushy" week. I feel pretty proud of myself for sticking with the Whole30 during this unexpected periodontal adventure, even if my meal template got a little strange at times!

Sending you guys blessings, hope all is well in your worlds. : )

Archived