Tigers and Turtles - 2016

Crimsann

I WISH I was at the beach, lol.  So close... and yet haven't found the time or energy to get there for days.  The heat here is killer right now and we are still working a wicked schedule of 6 12 hour days out in it.  This week we lost the wind that helped us out last week, it must have come your way. :D  Rumor has it we may go back to a mere 48 hour schedule in the next few weeks, I am keeping my fingers crossed for it, I am TIRED.

Add to that, something went wrong with the water supply at work and hubby was violently ill, missing work for three days (and returning too soon!!). He is mostly recovered now, somehow managed to make 4 days this week with everyone watching hiim like a hawk and making him take a break every hour to pump electrolytes.  He looked bad there for awhile.

If we get dropped back to a normal schedule, I am definitely going to go back on full program.  If I can get a normal weekend, I have been planning (scheming?) ways to pre-cook my breakfast for a week at a time (definitely stealing your idea there, MissLindy), and will continue on with the cold soup type lunch until it cools down enough to eat salad again.

Good to hear things are going well with your food and exercise, now stay hydrated and dream well. :D

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so now many of you are MIA, are we quitting at the just after half way through the year mark? Personally I have not done as well as I would like when I consider the past several months, am not where I want to be healthwise and sadly no one to yell at except myself. Yelling at myself is not a great idea I have decided so just resolve to slow down and do things more as I would wish so I can feel more as I wish.

Hope you are either enjoying the summer, taking it cool or getting some much needed time off --Cynthia in particular. I hope your work has slowed down and you are getting some rest.

Trust me, it's been on my list all week to update...but I've been buried.  Too tired to really get into it even now, some work, some personal, some my stupid car again...and oh the story there.  Just wait until you hear what the dealer pulled this time.  But the bottom line is, July was a roller coaster food-wise and not at al what I planned from start to finish.  I could dwell on that, but on the other hand...it's been a growth spurt activity wise.  Mostly prompted by that new Apple watch, but also by the return of a summer wellness challenge at my workplace.  Again, more soon, I promise!  So while I've not done nearly well enough with what I've had to eat, I've done more than usual and way more than planned with moving.  I'm hoping August can sort of marry those two concepts a bit and smooth back out. 

I always seem to do well with months that start on Monday, just fits my sense of order.  It's going to be a busy weekend again (last weekend, aside from the hours I slept, I literally only sat down a total of two hours!!!) but I have plans for getting food prep in even if it's while simultaneously baking some lemon meringue pie cupcakes. 

Being on plan in August is going to mean dancing around my younger nieces first birthday.  I don't mind missing out on cake, it's not really a big draw for me...ironically what I will miss is the lemonade.  (We are doing a lemonade stand theme.)  Still working out what to do there, a cheat weekend did NOT work out for me in July so that's not going to be the answer.  Vacation is drawing ever closer and while it will be wonderful to get away for a bit, there is a lot to fit in between now and then and with my already wire thin schedule...well I will do my best to keep up better.  You guys are important to me.  I would imagine we all feel the same though, even if I'm not posting every day I'm usually thinking about what I would say if I could get to it! 

I'm sorry! I didn't realize I hadn't posted n so long. Its so hot and humid that I go to the gym in the morning then come home and think about what I should be doing while sitting and doing nothing. With my COPD this weather makes is so hard for me to breath outside. A young couple live next door to me and he came over and offered to water my stuff after they saw me so short of breath trying to do it. I have lovely neighbors.

I lost 8 pounds since June. Weighed this morning since it was the end of another 30 days. I'm taking August for reintros and then I'll go back to a full W30 September 1. I'm hoping the new book will help me get a handle on this for the long haul. I know grains are out due to celiac and sugar/sweeteners make me bloated so they are also out. I don't want to back into the snacking I did before.

Weight Watchers called me and offered a receptionist position for 4 meetings a week. I used to be a leader. I still weigh in once a month to keep my lifetime status which I have had for 40 years. Even though I'm not doing Smart Points, I know the program well (and all the other ones back to the first one) so I decided to take it. They pay good and I'd like to get my car paid off as fast as I can. I hate having any debt at my age.

The Y is having an ActivTrax challenge that ends Labor Day. ActivTrax generates workouts based on what you have done and encourages you to do more. The 3 who earn the most points get really nice prizes. I know I won't do a prize, but it still motivates me to do better in my age group. When I went to get re-evaluated earlier this month, the trainer looked at my arms and said "Wow, you have guns!" I've been lifting heavy for several years so I'd be surprised if I didn't have a little muscle. Getting older doesn't mean you have to fall apart.

Cynthia, I sympathize with you dealing with the heat in Texas. We've been in this high 90s with a heat index between 105 and 110 for weeks. We need rain. I just don't want any hurricanes! I don't know how you work so many hours.

Crimsann, oh no! Not more car problems!

Have a wonderful day - and keep cool!

weather

Quilter, congrats on the 8lbs and the new job. :)  Also, that program at the Y sounds great.  I might actually stay with a gym type place for something like that.  And if I had someone to go with... I have this weird thing about going by myself and end up not being able to get through the front door if I'm alone.  I will send rainy thoughts your way, we had a ferocious thunderstorm in Houston yesterday but none down here where we're working. We need it here, too.

Crimsann, sorry for your car troubles, that ALWAYS sucks.  What about a combination of fruit juice and LaCroix in place of the lemonade?  Perhaps with a little sliced fruit or berries in with the ice?  Or maybe a blended frozen concoction?

MissLindy, I am most definitely not giving up - I'm always keeping an eye out for notification of a new message. :)  I am not where I want to be food or healthwise at the moment, but have compromised with trying to keep it as healthy as possible until work slows down a bit.

On the other hand, I've had a mixed weekend.  Mixed in that I took three days off but I'm incredibly exhausted.  But it's for a good reason and it's GOOD news. :)

We closed on a house down here on Friday afternoon, then drove to Houston, loaded up everything we had in the apartment and storage there yesterday and made it back to town here at 2am.  Our hired labor shows up at 10 am to unload the truck and move furniture around until I'm happy with it. :)

SO - now I will have a full size fridge and freezer to work with instead of the rv appliances, PLUS a room designated just for my exercise equipment to help motivate me.  I will be so happy to have actual kitchen instead of galley to work in.  That will make the food front easier.  I'm hoping to at least get in some sort of flexibility and/or toning stretching/exercises in a few days a week to lose some of the stiffness I've picked up at work.

I do hope everyone stays with the group, I really look forward to posts on here and hearing how everyone is doing.  Kinda like a motivational "coffee club" for me, lol.

Hi everyone! So glad to see some activity here.

No misslindy, we are NOT quitting. And I think your idea to do things more as you wish sounds great!

Crimsann, I was thinking the same thing about August starting on a Monday. It goes well with my starting over theme. The only problem on the horizon is my trip to the state fair next Sunday. Not sure what that will look like, but I'm pretty sure it won't be "programmy."

Susan, congrats on the job and the weight loss--both fabulous news!

Cynthia, how wonderful for you! Sounds like lots of positive things in that big, new purchase!

I've been talking to my friend Kim, and we are working out the details of my move into her house. We've figured out the logistics of easing our animals (my cat, her dog) into a relationship that works. We've talked through the pitfalls of going from living alone (and liking it!) to sharing space. Luckily, her house splits into two sections because there are doors on either end of the kitchen. We use those to slowly introduce our pets, and to stay out of each other's hair when needed. 

My plan for now is to go Paleo starting tomorrow, with exceptions made for the fair. Then the W30 starts sometime after the fair, but no later than the 15th. I will have some issues getting prep done, but nothing I can't handle with prior planning. I had forgotten how much stress is involved in moving. I've opted to hire movers, because my 80 year old parents and my 60-ish girlfriends just haven't got what it takes! My son-in-law would gladly help, but he'd pretty much be on his own! So movers, it is. I'm also trying to figure out what I need to leave out in Kim's kitchen, and what I can pack away. I already told her my pressure cooker will be front and center, as it makes food prep so much easier.

Must get on with my chores, much to do before the end of the day. Nice to see everyone again!!

I'm still here too... just returned from a lengthy trip. Good luck to those of you that are moving! Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-changes...

I like popping in and catching up on all your posts now and again, even if I don't spend that much time online.  Ditto what Crimsann said above.  : )

In the past few weeks I had to eat gluten for a Gluten Sensitivity test, and a weird prep diet for a SIBO test (2 days of white rice, meat and fat only... NO veg!).  I also had a few non-Whole30 items while camping that were totally worth it... but other than that, I am happy with my simple Whole30 default style of eating.

Nancy, I'll be with you on plan for August and most of September. I have an appointment with a functional medicine doctor on 9/19 and she requires patients to be Paleo for at least 30 days prior. Since "Monday the 1st" is always a GREAT day to start, I'm jumping in today!

Blessings to all of you, wherever you are on the journey...

Hi

So glad to hear from you all. I feel like we are all around the campfire again. New houses, car troubles, moving moving moving! All the changes happening. This year is the year of change for all of us.

We had some car troubles too but luckily Mr Fix/Repair anything managed to get the part needed and replaced it.

I have just discovered I am doing some major off roading without intending. That may have something to do with not losing weight and feeling lethargic. Here I was blaming a poor wee bug! Am back on track for August too. So far it is day 3 and have been perfect! One day at a time is what is happening now.  I have to go away for a weekend in a couple weeks (not happy to be going at all) and am in a hotel so don't know what control I will have over food. I shall be doing the best I can. The other day I missed breakfast, through no fault of my own, and I was in such pain all day. I think my poor adrenals just crashed. Food will be in my purse every time I leave the house from now on. Sadly I can't take it on the plane with me as I am going out of the country. 

Could do with some of your heat but not the temperatures you are experiencing--too hot for me. I will huddle by the fire for another few weeks.

Talk soon.

We are officially in the house - got the travel camper backed inside the yard last night without mishap. :-) Now to put everything away and uncover my nice room for stretching. This moving while working is a challenge.

Good luck to everyone who started the program on the first, I know you will do great!

MissLindy,sounds like you were taken out by hidden ingredients? As far as the travelling, wi) you at least be able to carry some form of "emergency" snack food or mini meal?

I do hope everyone stays with the group, I really look forward to posts on here and hearing how everyone is doing.  Kinda like a motivational "coffee club" for me, lol.

ooh, coffee sounds really good right about now and as it's headed towards midnight where I am it also sounds like a really bad idea.  I liked your ideas for coming up with a Iemonade substitute and I think I'm going to try that.  It actually got me thinking about how sweet watermelon is, I may be able to make an icy fruit drink on par with lemonade without a drop of sugar added.  It's not something I would necessarily make or keep on hand regularly, but I'm at a point with myself where I'm okay bending the rules a bit more here and there even when I consider myself doing Whole30.  I think the best way to describe the difference for me is doing Whole30 and being ON a Whole30.  When I'm doing it, I'm usually kicked back with this group, not really picking a specific 30-day start to finish....but really focused on clean eating and as important, mindful eating.  If I verge from the official rules it's in pretty specific and pre-planned ways.  I'm not doing these stretches as a cleanse or even a reset as much as just slowly working at taking care of myself better and better.  When I'm ON a Whole30 that's the reset, when I'm likely to join a new group temporarily at least to be sure I'm getting all the latest info and I am focused on following all of the rules to the letter. 

I was hoping July would be a doing Whole30 month but giving myself those days off at the start just seemed to kick things off all wrong and I bounced back and forth between being on the plan and being further off it than I had promised myself...but then with that weird streak of exercise.  So my primary goal for August is just getting back to deliberation, doing what I meant to do in July while keeping the added exercise and finding some balance with that.  I feel like people talk about balance a lot, and I even read something in Whole30 literature (no idea if it was in the emails, the books, the forum here, or where...let alone who said it or how I'm taking this out of context) that almost sounded like balance is the impossible to achieve scenario so better to keep the pendulum held all the way back on the safe side which pretty much is what a Whole30 is in my mind.  For me though, in nearly every aspect of my life, the core of what I am seeks balance.  I think that's why, even in all my long term plans, I don't see myself being on a pure Whole30 for life.  I am going to keep edging closer to a center, even if that center has started to shift some.  There are things I think I'm far more willing to consider living life without now so even my middle ground nutrition wise isn't where it used to be.  If that makes sense? 

Anyway, I won't be following every letter this month...I can say that because I know for a fact I had ketchup on the menu all this week and you just heard me plan a sub for lemonade which would probably be an ill-advised move on a Whole30 even though I plan to make it from all compliant ingredients.  Deliberation is the key word there though, not temptation.  And so far it's working, even as I reach in to grab the ketchup bottle while packing my lunch...my eyes pass over the last few cupcakes and just sigh a little, but leave them unmolested. 

So, because I promised, the car story.  This has actually been a problem for over a year now, but because it's related to the air conditioning isn't really a year-round issue in our all-four-seasons climate so I've been able to ignore it to some degree.  In fact, I had sort of hoped that the stuff they fixed earlier this year would take care of it, but now that it's well and truly summer...it's clear it hadn't.  I promised, all winter long, that come summer I would NOT gripe about heat the way I moan about snow and I'm not planning to break that promise.  One of the reasons I've lived with this issue as long as I have is because I go days without even turning the air on.  I sometimes even get in my car, after being chilled all day in the office, and sort of shiver in pleasure at the toasty warmth even though it's been sitting in the sun and would probably cook a normal person.  But even I have my limits, and an unexpected day trip to our furthest facility (a solid 45-60 minute drive) in a car with no A/C on a 90+ degree day...well.  The thing is, the air works just fine as long as I'm going less than 45-50 MPH.  So normal in town driving and it's chilly enough on max that I frequently have to dial it down.  Even on cool mornings or late evenings it will often stay pretty normal as long as I don't drive over 50 for long stretches of time.  But if I head out on the highway where I'm going to be well above 50 for the duration, within a few minutes it's basically blowing hot air and will continue to do so until I exit (ie: slow down again.)  So, I took it in, explained these facts and then sat in the lounge for a couple hours waiting on the bad news. 

Instead, I got a pat on the head.  I'm pretty sure he started the conversation with something along the lines of "your air compressor is special", including a handy printed diagram in case I didn't get the explanation of why it was "special" and a detailed rundown of why a smaller car might have this kind of "special" compressor.  I actually got all of that, even being a chick.  My car is designed to divert power from the compressor to the engine when the engine needs it, such as accelerating to achieve highway speeds.  At the point the engine levels out though, that power should divert BACK and that's what is not happening in my opinion.  It sounds to me like this is a case of something not getting the signal or something not sending the signal when that additional power isn't required.  Yes, a compressor like this might not cool as effectively for short periods of time, and that would be normal, but I'm pretty sure no one would BUY THESE CARS if it was normal for them to have no A/C on said 90' days for HOURS at a time.  I mean, 'amirightoramiright?!  Not to mention, I've owned this car for 10 years, I would have maybe clued in before if it had this particular "quirk". 

I was mentally sort of squinting at him at this point figuring this was a lead in to how expensive a replacement "special" compressor might cost.  But no, he surprises me by then telling me according to their in-depth tests (which did not appear to extend to actually driving my car off the lot let alone out on the highway) my "special" compressor is working exactly as it's designed to, there is nothing in fact to be fixed, and then he wraps it all up by telling me his best suggestion is to........and wait for it......

roll my windows down.

yeah. 

Think I will just leave you with that one.   

We are officially in the house - got the travel camper backed inside the yard last night without mishap. :-) Now to put everything away and uncover my nice room for stretching. This moving while working is a challenge.

Good luck to everyone who started the program on the first, I know you will do great!

MissLindy,sounds like you were taken out by hidden ingredients? As far as the travelling, wi) you at least be able to carry some form of "emergency" snack food or mini meal?

Yes, I am sure I have been taken out by hidden ingredients but when I am travelling--am going to Oz so not allowed to take stuff from home, not sure what they will have and let me take on the plane from the shops, probably not much that would be good. But I am leaving early in the morning and will have breakfast before I go, then can find a shop of some sort when I get there, should be okay, at least I can take a tin opener with me and buy canned fish! have fruit and lots of water. I am sure I can find what will work, even if it seems odd. Perhaps I should try to see how odd I can find and make a game of it!

Congratulations on your house--what a treat for you after all your cramped quarters. So pleased for you.

Roll. The. Window. Down. Astounding... wow...

I am curious to know how the watermelon lemonade frozen concoction worked out. I've been thinking wistful thoughts of it during that last hot stretch in the afternoons.

MissLindy I like the odd food challenge. That actually sounds like fun! :-D

roll my windows down.

yeah. 

Think I will just leave you with that one.   

That left me speechless! My AC what seems like the opposite of what you described. It seems to work better when I'm going faster, and not quite as cool on the slower speeds. Not sure why that is, but as long as it works, I'm good--especially since I just paid $1200 to have the d*mn compressor replaced! 

Just back from dog-sitting at my "new" house. My friend is out of town, and besides her own dog, is currently looking after her son's girlfriend's dog. Her dog is ok, but the other one, whew, he's a ginormous golden. He's friendly as can be, but SO unruly! He's like a 110 pound puppy. I sure hope he'll be gone by the time I move in. He is in serious need of obedience classes. I love the house. Roomy, so my friend and I will have our space. And SO blissfully quiet! Green space all around, and Lake Michigan and the lighthouse just 5 minutes away on foot. 

One of the things I love is having this group of friends here, familiar even though we've never met, sharing not only our food/eating/health issues, but all the things that daily life brings. I think of it as the bonus that I get because of some of the issues that I'm stuck dealing with every day. I'm doing some prep work for my W30. My Pinterest board if full of wonderful recipes and ideas. Now that hard part...the actual shopping, planning, cooking... I dug up my log from my first 30 to get some ideas.

So this is a new look, when did the forum change? I guess I should show up more often.

We are freezing solid here, you won't believe it but there are communities without power and probably won't have it for over a week. The snow is incredible on South Island and even on North Island. We don't get snow but OMG the wind is freezing. At least I have to get up frequently or I would freeze solid and my poor feet would have to be thawed out --so good for the exercise, jumping around.

Doing well food wise sofeeling better about it all. I spent most of yesterday cleaning my office--and man did it need it! Now it is shiny and sparkling, the curtains are so beautiful - a major pleasure to be in here today. Mind you there are several other rooms that need the same attention but one doesn't want to be too hasty. :)

Sounds like your housing situation is going to work out well, NanyW. :-) Lake Michigan and lighthouse.... great place. Back before I even had kids, I lived near Traverse City for a year. I loved it up thetr.

MissLindy, the new look must be recent, I popped in a couple days ago and it didn't look like this. :-) Your weather sounds like where my mom lives in the winter. Plenty of frigid COLD wind. Makes my old broken spots ache in sympathy,  lol. Isn't a clean room vlorious? I don't like cleaning, but can't cope with living in clutter - go figure. :-D

Wow...new forum set-up. It asked me for my password, which I haven't had to use in so long that I wasn't sure I remembered it. Good thing I have a couple of old standby ones, so I could guess.

Not doing well with food these days, but that is my pattern when I know I'll be doing something more structured...or with any structure, for that matter. :wacko: I'm beginning to pack next weekend. It's hard to think about what I can do without for now. I'll only be unpacking a few things, as Kim already has a stocked kitchen. As long as my pressure cooker is available, I should be ok. So many things I haven't used for a long time, so I'd like to just get rid of them, but this move is only temporary, so I better not get too Goodwill-crazy!

Must get to work... XO

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 7:10 PM, C_Cezeaux said:

Roll. The. Window. Down. Astounding... wow...

I am curious to know how the watermelon lemonade frozen concoction worked out. I've been thinking wistful thoughts of it during that last hot stretch in the afternoons.

MissLindy I like the odd food challenge. That actually sounds like fun! :-D

I haven't made the watermelon concoction just yet...the party is tomorrow and in typical me fashion I'm still working on things.  If I find what I need to make it, it's still on the table to do something along those lines and I will share results.  I've made granita with watermelon before which is essentially a fruit juice based ice though it does take some simple syrup to keep it from fully freezing.  My tentative plan right now is make a batch of watermelon syrup to add to the lemonade anyway for those wanting a pink version, and I can just keep some of that aside for myself if I want. 

My August hasn't been clean either which is disappointing.  These last two months are the first time I've really struggled with being on plan and fallen off when I had intended not to.  I've chose to go off plan for months at a time before, but not been so far off plan when I planned to be on plan.  I don't even really know why it's been a challenge other than the fact that I've hit that point where results are so much slower and it's harder to keep the enthusiasm for the super strict going just when I need the super strict the most.  I haven't actually hit the road, I'm still sort of just leaning way out the back of the wagon, and exercise is still steady and increasing.  My weekday meals are still nearly entirely compliant, but weekends are just come what may.  That's what I had in mind for later this year, but I seem to be skipping some steps getting there!  So this weekend will probably be about the same, mostly on...somewhat off...hitting my movement goals...and planning for a better next week.

I did find a recipe I'm thinking about adapting to a crockpot version, I will also omit the cheese and will finally be trying some paleo wraps in place of the tortilla's...but if I don't care for the wraps or they aren't worth it to me...I can see this over a salad as well.  http://www.howsweeteats.com/2016/08/chicken-tinga-tacos-with-grilled-corn-guac/   I will be doing the corn along with the guacamole since that is something that I allow right now but that also would need to be left out for a true W30 version.  (I know you guys know that, I just always try to say if I link something that isn't down the line good to go.)

I'm also doing something new to me with coffee that I thought I might share.  I'm a drink-it-black kind of girl anyway, but come summer I do often pour the rest of my morning coffee over ice once it cools off and what I've been doing lately is adding a mint tea bag to the ice before I pour the coffee over it.  One of my favorite drinks at a local café is a mint coffee where they muddle fresh mint and sugar and pour cold brew coffee and milk over.  This replicates that flavor just a bit with a hint of sweetness and the tingle after-taste of mint but without the sugar or dairy.  It's amazing how mint does almost seem to add sweet even though it's still completely unsweetened. 

So just trying this out, the new format and all, hoping to see if we can now add photo's easier because it kind of looks like we can?  Fingers crossed because that would be an awesome enhancement.  If it works you get a pic of my younger niece trying to catch me sneaking something out of her stroller.  We laugh about the "cop stare" she inherited from her Dad, but she is no joke the most suspicious kid I've ever met.  Or else she just figured me out early...hard to say. 

IMG_2697.JPG

Crimsann, your niece is adorable, and quite a badass!! Love the steely stare. You best behave... And that Chicken Tinga Taco recipe, yum!

I am to be starting my W30 this weekend. I was talking to my daughter and mentioned that after a horrible workweek, I just can't get my head in the right place. She says, "But mom, maybe if you start, your head WILL get in the right place." Brilliant! I haven't done much planning, but I am shopping either later today or early tomorrow. I have a mental list that I need to get down on paper. This first week will be very basic. I have a freezer full of chicken breasts and ground turkey breast, so will augment with salad fixins for the chicken, and sweet potatoes to serve buffalo turkey over. I've come to love Craisins on my salad, so bought a 4 lb bag at Costco a few weeks ago.  I'll be giving that to a Craisin-loving friend. My fridge is stocked with flavored seltzer. That's become a W30 staple. So I can do this. 

Planning for the move is in full swing. I will be taking lots of boxes to Kim's house with my brother's help. That will save on the cost of the move. Packing will start soon--right after planning and prep for my 30. I did go against my "no more gadget buying" rule since we'll be combining kitchens, and bought this salad chopper bowl: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AEH634/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I love the idea of not having to chop everything up separately! Will be trying it soon.

Better go, lots to do. And we're going to a semi-pro baseball game tonight. Should be fun!

Salad Bowl.PNG

As posted by me on the Join forum: Today was to have been R3D1. I was so proud of myself, when I found single size servings of mashed cauliflower in my freezer. Decided to have that with a grass-fed beef patty for breakfast. Yum! Then, as I was eating. I remembered... The last batch of mashed cauliflower I made was when I wasn't doing a W30, and it had regular butter and half & half instead of coconut milk and clarified butter. RATS! So I'll continue on as planned, but "officially" start with a date of 8/15. Could be worse. It could have happened on the 7th day. Or the 14th day. So I'm only a day behind! LOL

So I start officially tomorrow, although I will be eating strictly W30 today. I have to--I've tossed all my noncompliant food!

My goal is to take an approach like many of you have when I'm done with this 30 (er, 30 2/3...) I will spend more time planning and taking my reintro more seriously, instead of just throwing myself right off the wagon! I don't want to end up where I am right now--at my highest weight EVER, and feeling like poo. Not how I want to feel in the 11 months leading up to my 60th birthday. I don't feel 60 in my head, and I'm tired of feeling older than that from the neck down. So when it comes to food, at least, I need to start adulting (despite the fact that my daughter took me to get my nose pierced for my 59th birthday...lol). 

How about a check-in? Everyone doing ok? XO

Quick update from me...internet is down at home which made for a really frustrating weekend for this tech-geek.

The taco's were pretty good, the almond flour wraps were far better than I expected so will definitely be a keeper for me when I'm not doing a to-the-letter type 30.  Tortilla wraps as a rule, especially the flour ones, are relatively tasteless so it's more a "you won't notice these either" and that's a win.  I know it also begs the question why I would need a replacement for a tasteless thing and I have no answer for you.  The one thing I did find that was different is their durability.  My taco chicken meat came out with a good bit of moisture, likely due to that crock-pot cooking, and it soaked through the wrap and it was like trying to keep the stuff in tissue paper!  LOL!  Not a complaint though, they were so tender that I could cut them with a plastic fork and I think that's actually a benefit compared to the tough/dry wraps I might have used in the past.  I will just need to drain my chicken better.  I'm now really looking forward to using these to make some scrambled egg wraps.     

The party was fun and I did make some watermelon "lemonade" but I got a bad watermelon.  It was nearly white inside with very little pink let alone red so I ended up just adding the watermelon to the last of the lemonade and chalked the weekend up to another off-plan adventure.  By the time I got home, still damp from a water fight with a two-year old who showed NO MERCY, I just wanted the world's longest nap.  Didn't fare much better on Sunday and I count it as a personal achievement that I kept my Move streak going both days.   (Apple watch activity tracker does three metrics, the Move part tracks the number of active calories burned and you get achievements for keeping up meeting that goal every day...I'm at 20 days and counting despite having increased mine a bit already from the initial goal.)  Food-wise, the best I can say is I did some of my prep for this week.  I absolutely could not motivate myself for a whole slew of reasons, so getting any of it done took grit.  I'm hoping I will be able to shake this off soon, it would help if my internet isn't still down tonight.  Oh, let's be honest, it would actually HELP a few of my goals if it never came back on...but moping around about how frustrating it is to be cut off is wasting more of my time than being on does.  I think.  ;)   

Somewhat hard to believe it's Friday already...

With my internet back, I made the mistake earlier this week of downloading one of the 7-Minute Workout apps.  Wow-ow-ow-ow.

My thought here was...yes, I'm doing a lot better with getting in some regular and deliberate exercise rather than just tracking what few steps I would normally get in during the course of the day.  In order to meet that Apple watch Move goal I talked about in my last post, I actually have to get on the treadmill every night and do 30-40 minutes of some kind of movement.  If I'm really tired, I might just take it at a decent paced walk...if I'm more ambitious I've been trying to run some, but still at the end of the day it's just cardio and not really toning anything.  Juggling work, cooking better meals, and meeting that Move goal as well as trying to find some personal time and...oh, that thing called SLEEP...I can't also fit in my favorite yoga deal because it's an entire hour.  I love it, but I will skip it more than do it rather than give up that chunk of time.  So in the back of my mind for awhile now I've been thinking about just some basic do-it-anywhere things like fitting in a set or two of sit-ups or whatever...just something more than cardio without committing to equipment or a long session. 

And thus, I heard about the 7-Minute deal which is supposed to be the equivalent of a hour (I admit I scoffed at that) and it sounded perfect.  No video needed, no equipment aside from a chair and a wall, I thought I could do most of the exercises involved (can't quite pull off a real push-up yet but hey, built in challenge!), and 7 minutes sounded perfect for a quick fix. 

omg.  whimper.  I'm only on Day 3 and it's a total love/hate.  I hurt everywhere.  So short program or not, it's roused some muscles that don't normally need to participate in daily life.  On the other hand, it's only 7 minutes and it's done.  It's done, but I also feel (boy how I feel) like I've actually done something.  12 exercises for 30 second each with a 10 second rest between, it's like just as I start to really HATE whatever I'm doing it's over, rest, start something else, and the whole thing is done before I hit the point where I just want to stop altogether.  So it's kind of weirdly effective for me. 

Well, gotta run, my quiet afternoon just exploded...will check in again soon though.  I'm instituting not quite a W30 this month since I'm obviously flexing a few food choices but I'm actually hammering down on other things and calling it "Bootie Camp"...there may be some shoe shopping as a reward involved.  ;)  But I'm definitely on board this month and through September in my fashion at least!

Checking back in on real internet instead of my phone, I cracked up at the typos in my last post.  Smart phone, indeed. :D

Crimsann, the 7 minute workout sounds intriguing. Although tonight I'm tired for a 2 minute one, lol.  Plus, I still haven't unpacked enough boxes to clear floor space in the spare room.  I can see the handles of my elliptical back there. 

I think you've got a good goal going there, NancyW.  Mine worked better when I actually did the planning.

I'm hanging in on the healthy foods, for the last week it's pretty much been chilled soup and tea, though.  I managed to pick up bacterial/fungal respiratory infection that my Doc thinks was caused by all the cotton fields being cut.  Cotton dust and mold.  Yippee. So she put me on great whomping horse pills for two weeks.  One makes me ill for a couple hours, the other makes me sleepy.  ...sigh...

Not W30 related, but how I spent part of my morning at work - does this count as Abs of Steel? :D

12910996_10153539155410998_1547350196_n.jpg

Good morning, ladies! Another hot (95 degrees) and humid day in VA. We need rain!

Having an off-road month and it isn't good. I'm sure you have all heard about the big W30 starting September 5 and leading up to the publication of Melissa's new book.  There are going to be some extras for those who sign up on Facebook.  The book will be delivered October 4 and the W30 will be over October 5 and then she'll give us hints for the slow reintroduction and that will give us 10 days to read and digest the book and come up with out daily plan. It sounds like what I need at this point. Since I live alone you would think I'd not have a problem with junk creeping into the house but it happens. I'm just not good with having one serving of ice cream or chips. I end up eating the whole thing at once and buying single servings seems so wasteful of money. A small bag of chips is $1.59 and the store brand for a 10 ounce bag is $1.49. I'm a mess.

I'm spending the next 10 days making out menus and cooking some recipes ahead and freezing them. I'll also grill up a bunch of chicken breasts and thighs and cook up some ground beef and make single servings packets for the freezer.  Where I run into problems is with dinner. I have it planned, I want it, but I'm too tired to cook it. COPD brings fatigue with it. Some days I'm fine and some not.

I upped my exercise at the Y and it seems I have more energy. Those endorphins are great mood boasters, too. I am now doing water aerobics and yoga M-W-F and T-TH I do strength training and SilverSneakers (circuit training for seniors). Once a year we have to go around with a trainer and be accessed on the machines so our levels can be adjusted. The girl who did mine started out  "Well, you're 75 so lets go to the other room and see how you do." That room has machines for beginners. I passed it a long time ago. I told her I wanted to regular weight room and then she actually looked at me and saw I had a lot of muscle definition. Then she let me show her how much I could do and was pretty surprised. She added some different machines and weights to my workout so I'm glad for that. 

Have a wonderful day!

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:47 PM, C_Cezeaux said:

Not W30 related, but how I spent part of my morning at work - does this count as Abs of Steel? :D

Well, it's sure a lot closer than I've gotten in my life...new workout included! 

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:22 AM, QuilterInVA said:

I upped my exercise at the Y and it seems I have more energy. Those endorphins are great mood boasters, too. I am now doing water aerobics and yoga M-W-F and T-TH I do strength training and SilverSneakers (circuit training for seniors). Once a year we have to go around with a trainer and be accessed on the machines so our levels can be adjusted. The girl who did mine started out  "Well, you're 75 so lets go to the other room and see how you do." That room has machines for beginners. I passed it a long time ago. I told her I wanted to regular weight room and then she actually looked at me and saw I had a lot of muscle definition. Then she let me show her how much I could do and was pretty surprised. She added some different machines and weights to my workout so I'm glad for that. 

Got to be one of my favorite posts of the entire year.  What a rock-star! 

Not like you aren't all role models just for sticking with this is going into our 9th month now.  (Hey we have nearly birthed this baby, lol.)  But I totally want to be Susan when I grow up.   

I do actually have the bare bones of a long term plan to be able to carve more time out in my day for more serious fitness and a more normal looking day/night before I turn 50, which since I'm not quite 40 yet is a ways off still.  It's a good year to start fleshing that out some with some real numbers though so I can hit 40 with a solid plan in place.  Me and plans, yeah sometimes I even laugh at myself but work is at an odd balance right now where I'm teetering on the edge of maybe making a significant move or needing to look in another direction all together.  The "other direction all together" would possibly mean going back to school for awhile and the sheer amount of extra time that would take is somewhat staggering.  So best not dwell on that for a Sunday. 

Thanks to some unexpected rain showers yesterday I skipped my shopping trip and spent the time in the kitchen to get my lunch and dinner prep for the week done early.  As soon as I get the rest of this coffee down I'm going to hit the treadmill and get my Move goal knocked out for the day as well.  I've got some projects to get done over the next few weeks as vacation draws ever nearer but I may skip the errands today and just laze around.  Most of what I need to pick up I can do on lunch breaks during the week when I'm closer anyway and my sister works next weekend so I know I will have wide open days then as well. 

Speaking of, my older niece is nearly done with potty-training at last but still has some issues here and there.  She can be very stubborn at not wanting to do things that aren't her idea and that still includes stopping playing just because nature calls.  She was hanging out with her bestie this weekend while their Mom's had a garage sale at her friends house and she got new shoes, light-up shoes no less, and was in love with them.  I guess the deal was, if an accident happened, the shoes got put away for the day.  And in all the fun of having a whole day with Jordan, it's not surprising an accident did happen.  I'm still sketchy on the details of what happened next, but in an attempt to prevent Mom from taking her shoes away, she managed to lock the entire household outside.  ::wince::  Always the bad Auntie, I'm of course devolving into giggles trying to write about it.  How she figured out the locks and it's not even her house...  Probably no wonder the younger niece is constantly on her guard is it?! 

I'm so excited about taking the two of them to the beach next month.  It's going to be my first real vacation in more years than I care to think about as well.  So, not a W30 related question here either, but one of the things I want to do is make up some gift basket/bag welcome things for the adults.  Sort of like what you might get at a nice hotel.  Trying to stay on the reasonable side, but I want to put together some really indulgent things to make it special for the people coming.  Especially like for my sister who also really Needs this vacation with a capital N and will still be juggling Mommy duty with trying to relax.  For example, our Whole Foods has some house-made sugar scrubs that are really nice.  One in particular with a coconut vanilla scent just strikes me as perfect for vacation, it leaves just a subtle fragrance on the skin so nothing like smelling like suntan oil, but the kind of thing she wouldn't do back home for herself.  For her, I'm also including some nail polish because as a nurse that's another thing that's out for daily life.  Some of my other tentative ideas are to include a small glass bottle and cork with a note about creating their own little beach inside to take home...fill them with a bit of sand, a tiny shell, whatever found treasures.  I definitely want to do that with my older niece as well and make one for her sister since it's their first time at the ocean, so I've already ordered the bottles just need to make up the "kits".  I thought maybe some reading material, especially for my Mom and her friend since they are likely to be up earlier than the rest of us and wouldn't be in to watching television or anything.   (Not sure I've ever shared this, but my parents were from a very old-fashioned religion similar to Amish but somewhat more modern.  We had cars for example, but no television growing up.)  Harder is pinning down which books to get them that they would enjoy, but I'm working on that.  I'm also planning to make bookmarks, I like the ones that are often called book "thongs" since they are lengths of waxed linen thread with beads tied at the ends.  I've gotten different beach theme charms to put on them.  And lastly, I thought about getting mini scrapbook albums of some kind, a variety of pens to journal with, photo corners maybe...and stocking up on film for my Instax.  I could see most of this group enjoying spending some time after the girls are in bed each night just putting together a page about what we did that day.  I'm also getting my older niece a toddler friendly digital camera which is technically for her birthday but I will give it to her early for this trip and it could be fun to include some of her images, although if past experience of her using my phone/camera are any indication this will mean about 1,000 pictures of her favorite Auntie and not always from slimming angles!  LOL! 

Okay, not just putting off treadmill time here ladies, I had a point with all that...I'm looking for some other brainstorming suggestions.  You will notice that so far it's also entirely non-food related and that doesn't have to be the case, but while I have time to still hunt things down and put this all together I thought I would see what you guys thought up.  If you were going away for a week, what would you like to have or get that you might not do for yourself, it can even be totally practical I'm really just looking for some new avenues to explore and I could really use some new perspectives! 

Wow, Crimsann, I read your post and I am exhausted! I love the gift bag ideas--sounds like the makings of a wonderful trip. One thing we did on a girls' trip was write little cards to everyone starting with, "My wish for you is:" I just found mine yesterday while cleaning and packing, and it brought back so many memories! The group that I was with was women from all over the country, and one from Holland, who met on a Weight Watchers forum, and eventually started meeting every summer in real life. The group has dwindled now, as our lives have changed, but those memories are SO important! And those cards contain wonderful thoughts that remind me of good friends. 

Loved the potty training story! We call that type of personality, "spirited and independent." We have a few of those in our family!

I'm really having a rough time with the W30 thing. I worked hard all weekend, and gave in to quick and easy meals (read: non-compliant). Mostly, I'm still eating my compliant food, but sporadically rebelling. There's a reason my nickname was Rebel... I'll continue to do the best I can, but I guess for now, that doesn't necessarily mean compliant. Still, mostly paleo and no sweets. 

I had an MRI on my jump rope injured knee today. Am interested to see what that shows. Hopefully no surgery, as our deductible on our health insurance is multiple thousands of dollars... And I got grief from someone at the clinic because I thought it was ridiculous that they were going to bill my insurance $6,000 for that knee MRI. SERIOUSLY? I went to an independent place and paid $560. My deductible for this year is still over $3,000 and it's almost September. I guess that's both the good news (I've been pretty healthy) and the bad news (I pay big bucks to my insurance company and get nothing in return).

Gotta go. I'm going to see if I can view my MRI results, not that I'd know what I'm looking at!

Archived