Tigers and Turtles - 2016

Crimsann

Nancy, what hospitals and doctors bill the insurance company and what they pay is far apart. They probably have to bill $6k to get $500. Sorry you are having problems with your W30 attempts. I'm doing the biggie that starts September 5. I like Melissa Joulwan's batch cooking and plan on following it for the W30. That way there is always food ready to be put on the table in 10-15 minutes.

Crimsann, love your ideas for the gift bags. How about adding some dark chocolate?

We still need rain. We're nearly 3 inches down for the month. I just don't want any hurricanes coming to provide it. September is the big hurricane month for us.

Have a wonderful evening.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello

I have been reading your posts and catching up with you all. I agree, I want to be Susan when I grow up too! And love the idea of gift bags. Abs of Steel - indeed, you do not need any gym work ever again. :)

I am back from Oz and exhausted. I have not gone anywhere, even overnight locally, for so long I was quite afraid to travel by myself. But I did well. Managed the electronic check in, seat selection and all that. I know it sounds strange to most of you but was big stuff for me. Easy once you get going though. 

I managed a train from the airport and arrived hungry, tired and triumphant at the hotel, to find they are renovating and had no operating kitchen, although they offered breakfast with the room. Breakfast consisted of many kinds of cereal, toast, jams, milk, including soy milk--not a dang thing I could eat. The closest restaurant was blocks away and didn't open in time for me to eat and be back for the course. So back on the train to find some food. Honestly, it was so funny. I found several restaurants with 'specials' most of which started at $35 plus. Not in my budget for one meal. Eventually I found a Subway and managed to have a fresh salad, added meat to it and non-compliant dressing but it was so good. Then I got on another train to check out Manly. Gorgeous, found a fresh veg and fruit bar--had the most wonderful green drink--totally compliant, all veg with some coconut water and meat, and fresh fresh fresh. I wanted to buy six more for the rest of the weekend but had no way to transport them. So, suffice it to say foodwise my weekend was a bit of a disaster. I went without rather than eat stuff I knew would make me feel ill. I did buy some yogurt (plain) and some walnuts so had that for dinner Friday night and breakfast.  I was working on next to no fuel all weekend and when I got to the airport Sunday I decided I would just have to buy something to eat. I walked for miles and every kiosk I looked at was either food from the week before (in my view), bread/pastry/mega sweet or just plain looked like it was not good to eat. I ended up with a blueberry muffin and cup of tea. When I got home finally at 0200, I ate cold pork slices and some veg. My husband thought I was demented!

So the 'odd food' challenge ended up very little food, but there were choices I just could not make myself buy to eat. It would be a waste of money and I knew I would feel so ill, it was better to be hungry, of course it was not better to be hungry because my poor adrenals are still screaming. 

Lessons Learned: smuggle food on the plane. No, seriously, I have to take food with me all the time. The latest Whole 30 for September with the prepared food is fabulous and I wish we had access to that here. I would be carrying it all the time. I take my own food most of the time now and have something with me when going to MIL or know I will be out for the day. Travelling is an entirely different scenario and not sure how to handle that when on my own in a strange city. Just do the best I can, I guess. It was interesting that things I would have rationalized as the best of a bad situation and just have it and enjoy it, I could not make myself buy as I knew I wouldn't be able to swallow it. So something has changed radically and I am very, very pleased about that. I have lost my desire for some of the foods I used to have to be so disciplined about. I guess just doing it one day at at time for a long time has helped. And even though I am not where I want to be size-wise, I am healthier and making better choices for my health.

A couple weeks ago we watched a programme called: The Truth about Exercise, Michael Mosley. He talks about the research on HIT, high intensity training. Three minutes a week. Interesting. I don't think it is necessary to buy his book, but he does have one out with accompanying exercises. Some of you may find this of interest, it is certainly thought provoking. I am going to try it for a month as well as the water walking once it warms up a tad.

https://www.fast-exercises.com/michael-answers-frequently-asked-questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7-h_w7bJrU

:) L

2 hours ago, QuilterInVA said:

Nancy, what hospitals and doctors bill the insurance company and what they pay is far apart. They probably have to bill $6k to get $500.

The real problem is my $5,000 deductible... I thought it w$4,000, but in filling out some insurance paperwork, I discovered it's higher. That scares the crap out of me!! How can people like myself even plan for that?

Hi ladies, I'm still here, been enjoying keeping up on your posts. I've been hanging out over in the August 1st group... We're getting near the end of this Whole30. I'm looking forward to adding foods back in that I know are good for me, this round has been harder than the last one, lots of food boredom and snack urges. And I've been eating too many nuts (again). Nuts!

NancyW, I wish you well in your struggles. To everyone else trying to find their way, and working toward a better balance, I also wish you well.

Crimsann, it's good to hear that you might be considering changing gears work-wise, I've often worried about you and your crazy schedule! I went back to school at 38 and changed my career.... So glad I did, it was totally worth it. Though school technically took up more time, I was stoked to be learning new things and growing on every level of my being. Good luck, whatever you do! 

Blessings to all, V

Just a quick check in as I plan to be living in contract world today!  Whether I truly want to or NOT. 

Last week was pretty good, not perfect food-wise but I feel myself settling in better and better to what I see as "after" as far as food goes.  Ahead of schedule, but I can't seem to find the pure focus I need to do a pristine diet and yet I'm really gaining confidence in my ability to pull things back on the path rather than just wander off into the woods.  I'm sticking to very close to 100% Whole30 during the week, then letting that slide a bit on the weekend if needed...or to be honest, if just sort of wanted.  Like I may grab an iced coffee while doing my weekly market run, just a sort of Sunday morning indulgence I miss even if I could make my own unsweetened version at home...but I'm not also grabbing pastries or stacking junk food in my cart so it feels in balance.  I was definitely feeling the improvements again in how clothes fit and just how I felt about where I was.

The weekend wasn't quite so great but not really due to food, more due to lack of sleep when I ended up staying up late because my younger niece was headed to the ER and I was the only one awake to provide possible backup/moral support into the wee hours.  That was after a marathon shopping day so I was already needing to crash, lol!  With all my cooking still to do on Sunday, my lazy weekend ended up being just as active or more so than the last few so this morning I feel like I'm right back at last Monday.  I'm hoping that's not reality, just a feeling.  It probably doesn't help that the outfit I laid out which looked really good on the hangers is sort of frumpy once I put it on but it was too late to try and come up with something else.  Pffft! 

I should have posted Friday when I was feeling good!  LOL! 

Baby is headed in for possible chest x-ray/blood cultures this morning so hoping they can identify what is making her so ill and get ahead of it soon.  Best guess is it is something she picked up at her one-year checkup, but that doesn't really make it any less stressful when they are still so tiny.  Better her sister than me though, she was already done with the physician after having a stethoscope put on her last week (pretty tame) so I can only imagine what she is going to think of blood work and x-rays.  I expect everyone in an 11 block radius will be hearing about it. 

Gift bags are coming along slowly, I seem to have terrible luck with online shopping for these and that makes it difficult since it's really the easiest way for me to get things done simultaneously!  I keep ordering something I think will work, only to find something better in person right after, and then having to juggle should I get both/return one/wait to see if what comes isn't so bad/risk missing this thing....GAH!  At the rate I'm going I will end up with two of everything.  I did find some chocolate to add over the weekend, that was something I had wanted to order and have shipped since it would open up so many more fun and exciting options but it's a bad time of year to have chocolate sent to me where it's apt to sit on the doorstep in the sun for hours until I get home.  A local place had some chocolate molded with a sailboat and palm tree scene then lightly gilded with edible gold.  Pretty and I know their stuff is pretty decent if not particularly exotic. 

Hi. Well, once again, I have sunk to the depths. I spent my weekend eating things I know I should avoid, and in large quantities. It puzzles me. I've always been able to figure things out, to learn them, to do them without much difficulty. But two things have proven difficult. Learning to ride my Harley was much more difficult than I expected! But I did learn it, and I did it well. But food? I have been trying to "learn" food since I was 14, without much success. Oh, there are shining moments of glory (my first W30, my first time on Weight Watchers, other moments), but for the most part, my progress is dismal. We're talking over 40 years of doing this, and still not getting it right. <sigh> I'm worn out from the effort, with so little resulting progress. Now what??

10 hours ago, NancyW said:

Hi. Well, once again, I have sunk to the depths. I spent my weekend eating things I know I should avoid, and in large quantities. It puzzles me. I've always been able to figure things out, to learn them, to do them without much difficulty. But two things have proven difficult. Learning to ride my Harley was much more difficult than I expected! But I did learn it, and I did it well. But food? I have been trying to "learn" food since I was 14, without much success. Oh, there are shining moments of glory (my first W30, my first time on Weight Watchers, other moments), but for the most part, my progress is dismal. We're talking over 40 years of doing this, and still not getting it right. <sigh> I'm worn out from the effort, with so little resulting progress. Now what??

NancyW, I have a theory for you. Your shining moments have been first times, right? It sounds like you throw yourself into learning and getting everything right the first time through and it works beaitifully.  My theory is that somewhere in the back of your mind, something is telling you that since you already know the rules and can make them work that you don't really have to follow them as closely and a "little" tweaking won't hurt anything. And then, of course since you have taken a step away, you must throw yourself off the wagon with abandon. 

It is not instantly rewarding to maintain and there are no clear cut time lines and checklists like there are during the program. For me, maintaining is much harder than being on program. "Oh, you ate a piece of Mexican candy? Better finish off the package, there's only 3 pieces left")

I struggle with my mindset on that as well.

I really have to stop trying to respond from my phone, lol.  I had intended to finish that last post, but it posted it instead, complete with typos!

As I intended to say, if I could just get myself to accept that the maintenance is a lifestyle I have to practice, I would be ok.  Instead, my little back of the head voice says, "Yes! You finished the program, everything is fixed, I can do whatever I want now!"  My second program was the one where I had the most setbacks and didn't follow through, with obviously the worst results, lol.  The third I did really well on, but still backslid during maintenance.  I think I am probably sliding because I don't have any clear cut, short term goals to meet and check off and only a halfway habit set on my healthy foods.

I agree, I think it's kind of why we all decided to stick it out here for a year...we know the thing we REALLY need help with right now is making it work after.  Although I will also admit I've had less success this summer sticking to the plan when I meant to, I also feel like I'm on the brink of making that part happen for myself.  I know you won't want to hear me say this, but I do think a lot of what has helped me the most is doing longer stretches than 30 days.  Maybe even especially if you rock the first 30 days, it's too easy and it doesn't force you to dig deep enough to really start making long term habit changes.  The biggest success to come out of the last few months for me is how much better I've done at straying off the path and then getting back on it because so many of what I think of as my go-to foods are now compliant.  I'm not "there yet" with Whole30 being what I want to do, and only do, for the rest of my life...but I'm finding it easier to do more often than not. 

I really think that the longer I made myself stay on plan at a time, but still with end dates in mind, the more I had to explore the foods I could eat and the more I adapted myself to eating them and even eventually craving them a little.  Finding new things I really liked that took the place of things I missed to the point where now they are honestly at least neck and neck with my first choice was another game changer.  I now use that green goddess dressing/dip in place of my old favorite ranch dressing or sour cream on taco's and it's just as good to me.  I actually prefer the taste of avocado oil on a lot of vegetables or baked potatoes to the taste of butter.  If I'm trying to come up with the fastest dinner possible, the first thing I think of is throwing a chicken sausage on the grill....and that even sounds really good even if I've done it three nights already that week.

The more those new foods become normal, the easier it is to see off plan foods as occasional treats and not the mainstay of my diet.  When the new foods become as easy as the old foods, or close to it...that's when real change is more probable.  It can seem boring, but now that I have even a handful of things that are quick/easy/and tasty...I don't fall back on convenience foods nearly as often.  And the more I stay away from those convenience foods, the less tasty they are when I do cave in for one so it's even easier to say "pass" the next time I'm tempted.  It's taken a long time it feels like, but I do think my tastes are changing and that's going to be huge in helping me incorporate this into the "rest of my life" whenever that happens to start.  LOL!

I think the tough love part here is just to ask yourself, if you are not ready or willing to do more than 30 days with a specific plan....why would you think you are ready or willing to make healthy eating a lifelong change in that vague sense?  I'm definitely not proposing just go all out with no end date in sight, I know for me that would be a sure-fire fail.  I need to be able to see the light a little even if it's months off.  But it may be time to think about clearing your head again knowing that the very foods you want to avoid cloud your judgment and your resistance to them the more you eat them.  Rediscover how delicious the compliant food can be, remind yourself of the things you are NOT giving up with eating this way and give yourself more time in the safe zone to dig in deeper and create habits that are better cemented before trying to look at some sort of maintenance version of the plan. 

I also wonder if, for some of us, there is a sort of tipping point with weight loss.  If I lose 5 maybe even 10 pounds, then gain it back, it's not necessarily an entire wardrobe change or something everyone around me would notice.  Having lost 30 pounds though, and having kept the bulk (pun intended) of it off makes me a lot more cautious about letting things go.  If I shot right back up to where I started from, I would literally need to buy all new clothes again and people would notice.  I can't say that isn't some motivation either, knowing I would get all those looks of "yeah, see it's easy to lose but keeping it off...I knew you would give in eventually."

And the thing is?  I don't think I will.  I may struggle with it, I may have months where I don't make any new progress or even slip back up a little, but I've come too far and the program does still work when I stick to it. 

I think we have all felt the benefits, know they are there, and want them...but it's really hard to let go of what we think of as the "normal" life we "deserve".  I know I've tried a couple of different things and I'm still working on what after could be without giving up all the benefits.  Hopefully we learn from each other and keep working at making a new normal that we are also really happy with. 

Cynthia and Crimsann, I agree with what you have both said and have done some of the same myself. I think being on programme is fine and most of us have done programmes until we can't see straight--and knowing what we 'can't have' vs what we 'can have' makes life simple for the time we are on the programme. I had a friend once who dieted like a major general in full battle dress and all the time she was thinking of what she could eat when she was finished dieting. Not the way to go in my opinion but that's where she was at that time.

This will sound strange but the hardest thing for me is to eat regularly and I have been struggling with that for months. I get so cheesed off when I have to stop for lunch, it ruins my work for the day. I just want to keep going and then set up a system where I am too hungry, get over that, eat dinner then am hungry an hour later and on and on. Eventually, after about three days of that I eat too much fruit or cookies I just baked for OH or have a muffin--not too great.  Then I feel terrible.

The other weekend when I was away and I actually didn't eat because I couldn't imagine eating what was available--I actually could have found something -even though airport food is not the best IMO. I kept looking for a juicer/smoothie place and it didn't exist. I must write to the Australian government. Honeslty I was really ill when I got home and it took me over a week to get sorted. I hope I have learned that lesson, but who knows?

So long story short, Nancy we are all in the same boat. Becoming enlightened and just not there yet. I think be a bit kind to yourself and carry on.

I am really glad we are here for this year--one of the reasons we did this was to experience all these pitfalls wasn't it?  We can talk about it here and hopefully if not find an answer, we will find hope or strength to move forward. I was ready to throw it all over yesterday, but came here and found this discussion so have girded my loins for another round. This time I won't be so tough with my humanness.

Anyone for September 1st carry on?

xxxL

Good morning, ladies! Hot and humid in VA. We have had no rain for 3 weeks. The trees are starting to loose their leaves.

Being the "Granny" of the group at 75, I can tell you it does get easier to make wise food choices but the Sugar Dragon is always just around the corner waiting to bounce. In 1971 I weighed 356 pounds. Slowly I got down to 140  by eating a lower carb diet. Over the years I've gained as much as 25 pounds and then lost it again.  For the last 20 I've managed to stop at a 5 pound gain and get back under control. What sets me off on a binge is denying myself the salty treats I love. Sweets not so much. I'm much better off if I can plan to have some chips once a week. My grocery store has 1/2 oz. bags of corn or potato chips for $.30 and if I  decide to have them, I can get through another week. The problem is that sometimes I feel like my week has not been good foodwise so no chips are allowed. Next thing I know I've the big bag half gone. I also find I get into a rut sometimes and have the same thing over and over. I need to try new recipes or new foods but sometimes it seems too much for just one person.

I'm hoping Melissa's new book that comes out October 4 will help me set up a better plan for the rest of my life. I've also signed on for the special W30 Challenge that starts September 5. There will be extras for those who have signed up, including tips on setting the plan up for the rest of your life; there are recipes for Labor Day so we get off to a good start; and there will be tips for reintroduction. We'll all be doing the 10 day version. It's times so the book comes out at the end of the 30 days, then we have 10 days to read the book and make a plan while doing reintroduction. Anyway, I'm giving it a shot.

Melissa also has a new W30 cookbook coming out December 6. I just pre-ordered it on Amazon.

Have a wonderful day!

On 8/29/2016 at 5:16 PM, NancyW said:

Oh Nancy, PLEASE don't give up! I have been at this over a year, and after four Whole30's, I have finally truly overhauled the way I eat. You REALLY NEED TO DO ANOTHER Whole30!!! I suggest starting with the Sept 5th Challenge group, and getting on the bandwagon with Melissa's new book "Food Freedom Forever", which will be released at the end (Oct 4th). Here is a forum group to join, lots of people jumping in!: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/38590-starting-whole-30-on-september-5th/

On 8/30/2016 at 3:45 AM, C_Cezeaux said:

NancyW, I have a theory for you. Your shining moments have been first times, right? It sounds like you throw yourself into learning and getting everything right the first time through and it works beaitifully.  My theory is that somewhere in the back of your mind, something is telling you that since you already know the rules and can make them work that you don't really have to follow them as closely and a "little" tweaking won't hurt anything. And then, of course since you have taken a step away, you must throw yourself off the wagon with abandon. 

EXACTLY!

On 8/30/2016 at 6:24 AM, C_Cezeaux said:

...if I could just get myself to accept that the maintenance is a lifestyle I have to practice, I would be ok.  Instead, my little back of the head voice says, "Yes! You finished the program, everything is fixed, I can do whatever I want now!"

Exactly, you literally have to re-wire your brain. It takes TIME.

22 hours ago, Crimsann said:

The biggest success to come out of the last few months for me is how much better I've done at straying off the path and then getting back on it because so many of what I think of as my go-to foods are now compliant. 

The more those new foods become normal, the easier it is to see off plan foods as occasional treats and not the mainstay of my diet.  When the new foods become as easy as the old foods, or close to it...that's when real change is more probable. 

I think the tough love part here is just to ask yourself, if you are not ready or willing to do more than 30 days with a specific plan....why would you think you are ready or willing to make healthy eating a lifelong change in that vague sense? 

I think we have all felt the benefits, know they are there, and want them...but it's really hard to let go of what we think of as the "normal" life we "deserve".  I know I've tried a couple of different things and I'm still working on what after could be without giving up all the benefits.  Hopefully we learn from each other and keep working at making a new normal that we are also really happy with. 

Exactly, exactly, exactly. Maybe consider a Whole60 or a Whole180 (ooh, I like the sound of that a 180 degree "turn around"!). I totally have a new "normal" now, and I will not trade it in for ANYTHING. *** Nothing Tastes As Good As Healthy Feels. ***

2 hours ago, QuilterInVA said:

I'm hoping Melissa's new book that comes out October 4 will help me set up a better plan for the rest of my life. I've also signed on for the special W30 Challenge that starts September 5. There will be extras for those who have signed up, including tips on setting the plan up for the rest of your life; there are recipes for Labor Day so we get off to a good start; and there will be tips for reintroduction. We'll all be doing the 10 day version. It's times so the book comes out at the end of the 30 days, then we have 10 days to read the book and make a plan while doing reintroduction. Anyway, I'm giving it a shot.

Yes YES, and yay for you! Nancy, you should join them!!!! I don't know where you "sign up" officially... Quilter, do you have a link?

Here's a link to the announcement I received: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#search/in%3Atrash+whole30/15693ea8e0e2413e

I'm probably not going to officially sign up for the Grand September Event because I hate to do that knowing full well I won't finish it...but it's tempting to see what all they send out. Weighing my conscious, sign up as a cheater or not.....lol!

Two funny things that happened last night...

So first, as I mentioned before, the last month or two I've been focused more than ever on being more active in order to hit the goals on my Apple watch.  On a normal day, I can hit my Move goal (which is the one I'm currently on a streak with so really motivated not to miss a day) by doing a little extra walking during my workday and then a 30-minute walk on the treadmill.  As long as I haven't been literally tied to my desk and I keep up a decent paced walk, that is long enough for an average day.  However, the rut has worn in a little with walking on the treadmill and that is the only safe option for where I live at that time of night.  (Not that I live in a dangerous place exactly, but it's very rural and there are no streetlights or sidewalks so once it's dark it's a safety issue to be along the roads and it's uneven surfaces not to mention trespassing to be off the roads, lol!)  Usually I listen to audio books while working out like that, but in the evening when I possibly could fall asleep standing up that hasn't been cutting it so I created some music playlists.  As I was going through my collection, which is weird and mostly not suited to exercise, I found a track of "Sixty Minute Man" which I think was originally part of a soundtrack.  As a "joke" to myself, I tossed that in the mix with hours worth of other songs and I shuffle it every night.  I figured on the occasions I hit that song at random during my planned 30 minutes I would kick it up a notch by doing another 30 minutes for 60 total.

Seemed like such a great idea until it was the last song at like minute 29.45 on Monday...yeah, a Monday...so I whined a little but I stuck it out and went for the full hour.

Then the same song shuffled in as track #2 last night.

What?!?  I told my friends I think I need to find a "Five Minute Dude" song to balance this out...where if it prompts, I can just jump off right then and there.  Seems fair!  One of them then informed me that the more often you don't skip a song, the more likely it is to come up early in your playlist so now huge moral dilemma.  I really don't want to make 60-minutes a pattern because it means eating painfully late.  I guess I just need to make sure I don't skip any other songs either so it stays mostly random!

The other thing that happened is, in trying to download more music to make my playlist longer...and yes, to hopefully make it even less likely I get the trick song...I found my iPod was nearly full so I went through to delete out some pictures.  Like the 500 in a row my niece took of me from the angle of her car seat the other day.  In doing so I found some older pictures of myself with her right after she was born.  I hardly ever show up in pictures because I originally majored in photography and am nearly always the one behind the camera but they did manage to snag a few of me with her that I didn't have the heart to immediately delete.  I was so struck by my face...though that sounds hilarious to say out loud...but what I mean is, it seems like I really don't see the changes in myself as much day-to-day but coming face to face with myself from nearly three years ago was sort of a "wow".  I'm even considering posting this because it seems like something I should share with the group even though I've not done well at recording a lot of before/after pictures.  I even took a close up selfie last night just to see if the difference was as startling side by side photographically as I thought but I'm vain enough not to post that one.  I'm due to get my haircut again next weekend so maybe after that which will be more of an accurate comparison since the before shot is of short hair as well.    

You guys are awesome. SO much wonderful stuff in these posts! I'm not giving up. I never will. I just take the occasional detour down Sugar Street. I don't think I'll be in for a W30 right now. My kitchen is busted up, a lot of it will be moving to my new digs before I do, and I don't have a free weekend the whole month of September. Doesn't seem like a record for success. But what I can do, what I'm willing to do, is no grains, no sugar. Those are the things I know to be a problem for me. I went back to one of my old favorites, a chili-style soup that has turkey breast, onion, peppers, tomatoes, beans and corn. I love it, and I've eaten it during some of the best food-times of my adult life. I think the best I've ever felt, aside from after a W30, is when I followed the WW Core plan, and this soup was part of that plan. I'll have some dairy (half & half, cheese, and we'll see about yogurt) but not too much. Fruits and veggies, meat, potatoes, beans, and healthy fat. No bread/rice/pasta,etc. and no sugar. Then after I move, and I'm more settled in, I'll do a "real" 30. or 60. or more. 

Dammit, I just lost a bunch of my post. That drives me crazy! I'm going to call it a night, and go to bed to read for a bit. I just started "The Martian," and I'm loving it!

Crimsann, I loved your song story!! 

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 9:59 PM, NancyW said:

I just started "The Martian," and I'm loving it!

Crimsann, I loved your song story!! 

Funny about the book, where we in the same group when I suggested that one?  I sort of thought that was maybe before we met so even more fun if so...it was such an unexpectedly fun book.  I haven't seen the movie and I'm kind of two minds about whether I want to or not since I liked the book as much as I did.  If you still love it at the end, I have another one for you...it's about the same "chunk" of book, only slightly related topic, but I like it and think you might as well. 

The song story, by the way, was a lot funnier when it happened again that same night.  Three times in a row, made for a rather intense week let me tell you.  I'm glad to report it has not popped since.  I'm still trying to add to my playlist, the more variety the better for me.  There are a few songs I honestly wouldn't mind hearing every single night, but for the most part I'm insanely fickle about music.  What I usually listen to is in no way suited for working out, I prefer ambient or a sort of swing/electronic fusion that would be ideal for sleep walking possibly.  LOL!  So it's harder for me to come up with music that keeps the blood pumping.  I'm also painfully susceptible to earworms so I have to be sort of careful about that or I will drive myself nuts the next day.  Totally open to any suggestions from the group.  I'm wide open to trying any genre for this even if it's outside what I would listen to normally. 

I had a rough day yesterday, which is partly why I'm checking in today.  I don't even know if rough is really the right word, it was partly just PMS/headache/chasing nieces all morning/a long and rough week....but I decided to pretty much deliberately not make my Move goal yesterday.  It's been on a streak, I think I mentioned this, and I was at something like 38 days.  I had gotten the Perfect Month achievement for August which meant hitting the move goal every day from the first to the last of a month.  I could have kept it going longer, but I know it is something I'm unlikely to be able to keep up on vacation.  There will probably be days where we are all active enough that I hit it, but it's also just as likely that even when we are out walking around it isn't going to be the sustained pace that registers.  With no treadmill and no familiar turf for walking, it would be a real challenge to keep up a streak and I actually didn't want that to be a "fail" feeling if I wasn't able to keep it up.  I'm aiming for a sensible vacation, and that does not include desperately walking in circles around my bedroom for an hour to try and hit a target.  So it's been on my mind to break it now so that's not even on the table.  It still made me a little sad to do it, it also "scared" me a little that as soon as I broke the streak I would just let the whole thing go.  But I woke up this morning, toyed with the idea, but then put my walking shoes on and hammered out an hour before I did anything else.  I may be on another streak by the time we leave, but it won't be a record one, so I think that's a better place to be.  I can get weirdly hung up on numbers and streaks, and sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes I just have to eat a popsicle (the thing that broke my first Whole30 stretch which ended up being 90 before I made myself eat something off program to end that.)

Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend, I know I'm thrilled to death that I can sleep in again tomorrow. I haven't had my eyes open before 11:00 yet and I am hoping tomorrow won't be any exception.  LOL!  Tuesday will be right back into it, as I am teaching an "early" AM class so have no choice but to be up as soon as the alarm goes off and on the move. 

Just taking it easy today, I have a couple of craft projects and some work on my upcoming charity event to get done this weekend but I'm going to just chill for the afternoon at least and worry about that later.  Got my meal plan ready for the short week, but don't plan to start prepping anything until tomorrow.  I'm going to do a basic grilled chicken salad thing for lunch, sort of a nod to fall with some apple and pecan in the mix I think.  And dinners will be a really low prep grilled pork chop/baked sweet potato and sautéed zucchini.  Simple favorites that don't take much work to put together.  If I get moving early enough I want to try a recipe this weekend for paleo sausage gravy, I have this idea to make some wraps with scrambled eggs, sausage gravy, and roasted sweet potato for brunch tomorrow while I have more time that I usually do in the mornings.  If it turns out good, it's something I think I could make up pretty easy for mornings on vacation and maybe even pass off on non-paleo eaters.  ;) 

Oh!  And I do promise to post something on the before/after once I get my hair done.  The selfie I did the other night isn't completely frightful but it was an "end of the day" shot and I do want to see what the before/after looks like when my hair is the same.  One way or the other though, I promise to post something for you guys after teasing that!  I'm still digging to see if I can find the actual pre-first W30 shots I took.  I know I immediately deleted them from my phone because they were majorly depressing, but I am pretty sure I kept them somewhere for my eyes only.  I won't promise to post those, I don't love you guys that much, but I find it somewhat funny that I now sort of want to see them. 

One final note, while looking for a starter paleo gravy recipe, I ran across this article on "cheat days" and I kind of liked some parts of this.  I'm not sure it's all an entirely W30 friendly post since it doesn't really promote (and actually calls out) 30 day challenges...but I think it's something I kind of needed to hear as I'm working on my "off plan" plan.  Just the image at the top about eating for "myself and half of Africa" is worth a look.  Cheat Days

2 hours ago, Crimsann said:

Funny about the book, where we in the same group when I suggested that one?  I sort of thought that was maybe before we met so even more fun if so...it was such an unexpectedly fun book.  I haven't seen the movie and I'm kind of two minds about whether I want to or not since I liked the book as much as I did.  If you still love it at the end, I have another one for you...it's about the same "chunk" of book, only slightly related topic, but I like it and think you might as well. 

Crimsann: What book? What book? What book? Please tell me now!!! 

I heard about The Martian from my sister whose 20 year old son read it in a day, and then she and her husband both finished it quickly as well. I marked a passage in one of Watney's narratives because I could picture a very dear friend of mine saying exactly the same kind of thing, and there have been other things since then as well that have "Scott" written all over them. It's made me chuckle so many times! I will definitely see the movie, as I like to see what I've read about, but I have no expectations about how it compares to the book. I always like the book better.

As for Cheat Days, I agree with that whole article. I've had that same conversation in my head about not getting crazy-out-of-control over sugar and junky stuff. And this made me  laugh so hard I spit out my water:  "And is ONE cookie going to make you grow a third butt cheek?" I would so love to learn to eat ONE cookie, or even TWO. That would be my ultimate goal, to learn to enjoy food as it presents itself, instead of eating everything in sight (and not really enjoying it) on a weekend...a weekend much like this one. I'm out of sorts because my knee is much worse than it was, and that's how I fix sh*t--I eat. I'd like to be able to have a (ONE) cupcake when my coworker brings them in! But in my all-or-nothing, black-or-white head, one cupcake is a perfect reason to eat everything in sight. In fact, that's how it started after my first W30--one cupcake and I was off and running. I'd love to move away from that mindset. 

Ok, time for another round of ice for the knee. I overdid it a bit yesterday (cleaning out my basement storage area), and today (goofing off at Maxwell Street Days with my friend, sister and parents). So I have nothing on tap the rest of today and all day tomorrow. Tuesday I see the orthopedic surgeon, so hopefully we'll have a plan at that point!

I opted out of doing the special W30, but I will definitely be ordering the book. :) I decided with the crazy hours we've got going right now, that I really don't need to stress myself out more by holding myself to the full bore program, including all the prep and giving up my healthy smoothies for breakfast.  So I'm trying to fine tune my maintenance until we get to the rollback in hours. I've been working on my sugar dragon/snack habit the last couple weeks again with fairly good success.  Oddly, the two things I find myself craving are the Mexican candy (bad for me in so many ways, lol) and gluten free pizza with spinach, feta, and chicken.  Both no brakes foods, I start with good intentions but end up eating the whole thing.  There is no "just one piece" when it comes to those. Those are the two kickers, so they get worked on first.

Good morning, ladies! Off and running on the W30 Challenge. In looking in the freezer to see what I needed I found Chocolate Chili and Cauliflower Soup so I'll use those this week along with some Kalua Pork that was lurking there.

Like many of you, I just don't have brakes for some foods and it's all downhill after the first bite. Then there is no use not eating everything in sight until next Monday because you can only start a W30 on Monday (LOL). I think this first week is going to be pretty hard for I have really strayed.

I had to redo my gym schedule because they changed the time on my Yoga class and added a new Silver Sneakers that will fit my schedule better.  I was thinking about going for a walk this afternoon but the walking trail will be a mess since Hermiane came on the weekend. My flower sure loved the rain after 4 weeks of not one drop.

Have a wonderful day.

4 hours ago, QuilterInVA said:

Good morning, ladies! Off and running on the W30 Challenge.

Good for you, I look forward to hearing how it goes! I'm currently in the reintro phase after my August Whole30. So glad I did it! Can't continue with the Sept group though, because I'm going to Germany on 9/21! While I will remain as paleo as I can while traveling, I wouldn't want the stress of being on program there, waaaaay too many factors I can't (and don't want to) control.

Archived