Tigers and Turtles - 2016

Crimsann

Why is it always the last thing you need is the one thing you want?!  :blink:

I feel your pain, honey! Cinnamon rolls on the counter at work yesterday. Looked homemade. I closed my eyes while I stood there waiting for my breakfast to heat up! :ph34r:

I'm finding that while this W30 didn't leave me feeling very tiger-y, I'm having an easier time staying away from things I know are not good for me. Steakhouse last night for dinner, said no to the rolls with cinnamon/honey butter. I was a bit sad, but I know it was the best option for me. If I get a bit better with each round of W30, then maybe I can be more like a "normal" person :blink: around food. But for now, I will not let my guard down!

I tried some very dark chocolate over the weekend, 85% cocoa dark. I really liked it. It's not sweet, so it doesn't tickle the sugar monkey. Will watch this carefully...

Susan, I have a ton of weights and weight training DVDs at home. I know I need to use them, and I know how much better I feel when I do. That should be enough to get me doing this. Why, oh why, isn't it??

I'm going to post this now, so I don't do whatever I did to lose last night's post... :rolleyes:

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, bpaitsel and Nancy....

Just a word about fitness from moi. My goals, at 63, are pretty modest. I want, mainly, to have some regular fitness practices a normal part of virtually every day, and I keep them rather simple and adjustable to the time I have available.

Basically my current regimen is walking 3-4 miles per day, typically in the morning before I go to work, although sometimes I squeeze in a walk at lunchtime at work, or take a conference call on th road and all while I do that. On the weekends, I usually walk a greate distance. Just doing that regularly has really changed my legs over the course of a number of months.

Before I walk, I do ten to fifteen minutes of easy yoga, just to wake up my body. Yes, this has me getting up around 5:30 and usually not done with it all until 8, but I have an easy commute to work and a somewhat flexible work schedule. We also have a shower in our building at work, so I can shower there if I don't have too much fussing to do with hair, etc....and this pretty much requires that breakfast be made in advance and portable and eaten at my desk as my computer fires up.

I also notice that my patterns change with th seasons and the daylight. I find it FAR EASIER to get out of bed early in the Spring and Summer mornings to take a long walk than it is in the winter...but, once I have th right warm clothes and get into the habit, an early morning walk is much more possible for me - assuming it isn't icy- even in the winter...and, of course, I have my two goofy four legged buddies who really appreciate it when we go for walks....one at a time, since they are so big.

Anyway, I don't do weight training no aside from a little body weight only work in th yoga, and Pilates once a week. I could definitely b in better shape, but I feel like this modest program is working for me. I know you can find something that works for you too...just needs to become routine...a normal and enjoyable part of your days.

I too find it much easier to get up in any season but winter to take a walk. This morning, it was 13 and snowy, and pitch black. But I start work very early. Eventually, walking outside before work will be an option. On nice days, that really gets my day started right. On not-so-nice days, the gym is the better option, but before that happens in winter, it will have to be more of a habit... We walk during lunchtime when the weather is good, but that's a much shorter walk because I get very sweaty, very easily--I don't want to stink up the joint! :P

Susan, I have a ton of weights and weight training DVDs at home. I know I need to use them, and I know how much better I feel when I do. That should be enough to get me doing this. Why, oh why, isn't it??

Nancy, I have the same. I bought them, used them once and then put them away. I go to the Y because I like exercising much more in a group setting.  Yesterday they had a poster for a new class that starts tomorrow. It's at 8 am but I'll be there. It's called YES - Young Energetic Seniors. We will be having some aerobics, step, hand weights and power lifting. Having COPD I may have to stop a few times to catch my breath at first, but it'll be a lot of fun, too. After that I have Brains and Balance for Over 60s and Power Yoga. When I worked, I stopped at the Y before going home. Do you have a friend you could invite over to exercise? Another way to sneak i some exercise is to get up during commercials when you are watching tv and walk around the house or march in place. You can actually get in a mile in an hour of viewing. You could also do some hand weights while watching.

Big Gold Star by your name for passing up on those cinnamon rolls.

It's no cinnamon roll...but when you think you are ready for a breakfast baked good, I can share the recipe I use for muffins. 

http://powerhungry.com/2015/03/coconut-flour-blueberry-muffins/

The result is, for me, just the right balance of something good enough to eat...but dense/heavy/filling/unsweet enough that one does me just fine.  I tweaked this recipe a little so that I don't even use the honey as a sweetener or the vanilla extract and I'm okay with leaving both out.  Instead I use extra banana and if the mixture seems too thick to even stir I add a bit of fruit juice instead of water to thin it...usually papaya because I often have that on hand and it's a thicker nectar like juice that adds a bit of sweet without watering it down much.  I also cram them with blueberries.  I don't know about all paleo baking, but I can tell you this batter will be nearly as thick as cookie dough and you can scoop it into muffin liners and mound it up so they look like fully baked muffins before you put them in the oven.  They do not rise, they will bake through and brown up a bit, but what you see going in is pretty much what you will get coming out! 

It's hard to describe the taste and texture, but it's a lot closer to a dense banana bread than any kind of cake muffin, and it's moist enough you don't choke on it but coconut flour to me always results in a sort of dry/heavy feel so it's a seriously odd combination.  I find one of these things to be seriously filling and would have trouble even eating two at a time...where traditional muffins I could probably manage 6 if no one was looking.  I'm sure that is highly personal so try or don't try as you feel works for you!  I love this as a change up from cooking breakfast as they are super portable and while they have a ton of eggs in them, it's not like eating eggs...again.   My personal rule of thumb for this kind of thing is, as long as I'm happy with one...and as long as I don't start reaching for one after dinner as well...I'm okay with it.  Not while on a Whole30, obviously, but it bears repeating.  Eliminate the honey and the vanilla extract and the base ingredients are all compliant, but there is NO way to rationalize a muffin of any sorts as Whole30.  This is the kind of thing I play with before I do any kind of "real" reintro though and it's one I found I can have fun with swapping other kinds of fruit in and still feel pretty good about and in control of. 

Susan, I'm really ok with exercising alone, and I like a lot of the DVDs that I have. It's quicker to get my workout clothes on, not have to drive anywhere, and it's all over in 30-40 minutes. What I'm lacking right now is motivation. Winter Nancy is harder to get up off her ass!

Crimsann, I like your take on incorporating these muffins for breakfast and NOT as dessert after dinner. I would leave the sweetener out too. Might add the vanilla though. I've been looking for something more breakfast-y for a change. And they will be self-limiting, as coconut goes right through me if I eat too much!

The lemon chicken on the other hand....sigh, well it probably only comes as a surprise to ME that it tastes like....chicken.

It's actually pretty moist and I liked the seasoning on the potatoes, but the chicken is just too chicken.  That doesn't make a lick of sense, I do realize.  I'm not even sure where/when/how my taste buds have reset on this but suddenly I can't stand the taste of chicken.  Ironically, it's possibly the meat I've eaten the least while doing these Whole30's, so I'm at a loss really, it's not just food boredom.  Maybe it's the things I've always eaten with chicken that I'm no longer really eating but even with that thought I can't point to any one thing?  No idea, but I've got to figure out some better dishes with it.

This leads me to an interesting thing.  The hot bar at my local Whole Foods often has a pulled pork dish with a cherry bbq sauce that is possibly compliant.  I say possibly because when they list "black cherry juice" I would have to take it on faith that they mean that literally and that the juice doesn't also contain other things and I'm not sure how complete and detailed their ingredient lists are.  I've had it before and it's fantastic, but I leave it for my "loose" months since there is that small question mark.  I would love to recreate it, and knowing I could source true cherry juice...  But getting the right proportions would be tricky since I only have an ingredient list to work from. 

So question to the group, any great chicken recipes or bbq recipes out there...before I manage to turn myself off the entire species?! 

The lemon chicken on the other hand....sigh, well it probably only comes as a surprise to ME that it tastes like....chicken.

It's actually pretty moist and I liked the seasoning on the potatoes, but the chicken is just too chicken.  That doesn't make a lick of sense, I do realize.  I'm not even sure where/when/how my taste buds have reset on this but suddenly I can't stand the taste of chicken.  Ironically, it's possibly the meat I've eaten the least while doing these Whole30's, so I'm at a loss really, it's not just food boredom.  Maybe it's the things I've always eaten with chicken that I'm no longer really eating but even with that thought I can't point to any one thing?  No idea, but I've got to figure out some better dishes with it.

This leads me to an interesting thing.  The hot bar at my local Whole Foods often has a pulled pork dish with a cherry bbq sauce that is possibly compliant.  I say possibly because when they list "black cherry juice" I would have to take it on faith that they mean that literally and that the juice doesn't also contain other things and I'm not sure how complete and detailed their ingredient lists are.  I've had it before and it's fantastic, but I leave it for my "loose" months since there is that small question mark.  I would love to recreate it, and knowing I could source true cherry juice...  But getting the right proportions would be tricky since I only have an ingredient list to work from. 

So question to the group, any great chicken recipes or bbq recipes out there...before I manage to turn myself off the entire species?! 

You could always come here for dinner, I did a chicken curry for my husband last night and although everything was W30 compliant (he is not on the plan but I sneak in what I can when I can) and it all sounded good going in, I could tell it was less than successful. But bless him, he ate it all and no complaints, didn't ask for seconds though.

Just spent some time catching up. I have been having food revolts, just going back to my old habits and can't be bothered eating. Not eating anything off limits, just don't want to eat--and I have been hungry but the thought of food is a bit revolting. I am hoping this is a phase. I didn't have vegetables at lunch but did make up for it at dinner. Will do better tomorrow.

I have decided to make coconut yoghurt using water kefir grains. I did make one a few weeks ago, I didn't really fancy it but my husband liked it and now he is having yoghurt with fruit for dessert instead of cake and chocolate sauce. (He's lean and lanky but am very very happy he has given up the cake and sugar! and all his own idea)

Nothing much else to report, had a lovely lovely swim today, the tide was so full and high, bit cold but very refreshing and I loved it. I don't swim much but when the tide is a little less high I walk about a kilometer, then do jumping jacks and winging around in the water. I love it. My husband accompanied me as far as the water's edge then changed his mind!

Have a good Wednesday.  L 

Just spent some time catching up. I have been having food revolts, just going back to my old habits and can't be bothered eating. Not eating anything off limits, just don't want to eat--and I have been hungry but the thought of food is a bit revolting. I am hoping this is a phase. I didn't have vegetables at lunch but did make up for it at dinner. Will do better tomorrow.

Not really the same thing, but I've been having minor episodes of nausea lately. Not enough to think I'm coming down with a stomach bug, just minor, irritating nausea. It doesn't seem to matter if I eat or don't eat when it happens. But sometimes, I just don't feel like eating. That's a whole new thing for me! I haven't skipped any meals, but I could. I think one of the numerous changes I've come to love is that I have stopped snacking almost entirely! As long as my meals have enough fat and protein, I'm good. I'm going to continue to foster that condition--it'll work out well for me in the long run.

Is it you revolting against the food or is the food just revolting?!  LOL!  I can definitely relate...this is my struggle as well especially right now and with a month and a half to go, it's the one thing I need to fight the most.  Especially because I know if I have struggled to even eat for a month or more, when I do lift the Whole30 rules entirely in April it will be a plunge into all the things I've been avoiding out of sheer relief from the monotony.  I know it doesn't have to be monotonous, but making it varied is what takes so much work when you don't have a huge repertoire of compliant recipes and ideas yet.  If I stick to the safe same handful of dishes I will burn out faster than ever but finding the time to research and experiment is just hard.  I wanted to get to this place, where I was forced to be more and more inventive...but that doesn't make it any more fun. 

Has anyone else signed up for or gotten the meal plan emails from Tessemae?  I ordered some mayo a couple of weeks ago when my Whole Foods had been out for a month or so and in the process I must have subscribed.  So far it's been pretty interesting, they feature at least one Whole30 compliant recipe and a handful of other nearly so ones.  This week's compliant one included sweet potato "noodles" which I thought was an interesting idea.  http://www.tessemaes.com/blogs/blog/17095333-buttered-sweet-potato-noodles-with-chesapeake-scallops

My sister gave me a spiralizer for Christmas which I haven't tried out yet, could be this is something to play with over the weekend.  They did theirs in small slices, not spirals, but it's a thought.  Theirs was served with scallops which I've never really tried at home, but I may think of another application for this.  I was also looking over another of their recipes and found a link to Cappello's pasta which aside from being pasta would be compliant and that is super interesting for me during this month.  It looks like only one local source for it, but it may be worth a try.  I had already had a half baked idea of making pasta with one of the nut flours since we used to make our own all the time and our egg noodles in particular were literally just egg yolk and flour, I just wasn't sure how to change the proportions.  Seemed like a fun thing to play around with while I am allowing that flexibility.

Hi,

My food revolts are simply not eating. I was so hungry yesterday and honestly I just refused to eat anything. How silly is that? But couldn't force anything down, not wanting any food that isn't compliant, just not willing to eat. I think I am losing it really! Did eat a good dinner though so will have to be happy with that and do better today.

I don't find this food boring or even limiting really. It is easy to prepare and my life doesn't revolve around the kitchen. But I have never been a major kitchen person and don't really like cooking so for me the same food, as long as it is fresh food, is fine. I don't really get bored with it. (I just get tired of eating apparently!)

Another gorgeous day here weather-wise and even better that is it somewhat cooler.

I love my spiralizer. I do lots of things in it, but my favorite is sweet potatoes which I then drizzle with olive oil and roast. I'm thinking beets might be good to try like this too. And carrots--I got some fresh sweet carrots that are pretty fat, so that should be fun to do that way too. Now I just have to feel like going through the work. It's not very much of a "do" week. It's more of a lazy week, eating out of my freezer, or going out for soup. There's a place near work that has all of their soups for the day listed on their website with all the ingredients. Good, fresh, whole foods--yum! I did that for lunch today, and am having the Spicy Pork Pineapple Chili that I brought for lunch as my dinner, with a small salad.

Thanks for the tips Nancy, I went off looking for some more spiralized sweet potato ideas this morning and found a site with a ton of spiralizer recipes.  I'm eyeballing this one for a Cauliflower Alfredo/Meatball/Sweet Potato Noodle thing that might be an even better way to make a "cream" sauce than using the cashews, it's at least more veggie. 

http://inspiralized.com/2015/10/20/paleo-cauliflower-alfredo-with-gluten-free-chicken-meatballs-and-sweet-potato-noodles/

I also love the sound of that chili, might go looking for a similar recipe.  They are talking about doing a chili cook-off here and I can see that being a fun entry.  I had thought to do the chocolate chili but now I'm inspired to get even more creative.

Yeah, I'm getting my spiralizer out this weekend. I have sweet potatoes just crying to be spiralized. And Crimsann, that recipe looks wonderful! I think I have a Pinterest board of spiralizer recipes. I should maybe look at that once in a while, instead of just adding to it...

Here's the recipe I used: http://www.food.com/recipe/spicy-pineapple-pork-chili-crock-pot-119979

bpaitsel, I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Spiralizer-Vegetable-Shredder-Spaghetti-Vegetables/dp/B00KOWGZJE/ref=sr_1_16?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1455282486&sr=1-16&keywords=spiralizer (Might be a different brand, but the same style.) I really like it. A bit putzy to clean, but works well, and zucchini noodles with a rich meat sauce--yummy and SO W30!

Yeah, I'm getting my spiralizer out this weekend. I have sweet potatoes just crying to be spiralized. And Crimsann, that recipe looks wonderful! I think I have a Pinterest board of spiralizer recipes. I should maybe look at that once in a while, instead of just adding to it...

Here's the recipe I used: http://www.food.com/recipe/spicy-pineapple-pork-chili-crock-pot-119979

bpaitsel, I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Spiralizer-Vegetable-Shredder-Spaghetti-Vegetables/dp/B00KOWGZJE/ref=sr_1_16?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1455282486&sr=1-16&keywords=spiralizer (Might be a different brand, but the same style.) I really like it. A bit putzy to clean, but works well, and zucchini noodles with a rich meat sauce--yummy and SO W30!

I think that's the exact recipe I found and how funny, I read your first post about it to say you had bought the soup so I was guessing this wouldn't even be close really but printed it out to try.

I'm feeling pretty good in spite of the snow on the horizon...ran out at lunch and got everything I need for this next week, I hope...so I can stay in all weekend. 

Now this part is pretty silly, but have to share...I've mentioned before I am something of a gamer.  Well, one of the games that I play has a pro league with tournaments and a live final with some pretty high stakes winnings.  One of the teams in the finals this year has a player I sort of have (the worlds hugest) crush on.  He does some live broadcasting of himself playing the game and yesterday while I was at lunch I got a pop up on my iPod that he was live.  Turns out he was doing some "training" where he played a match against random people just to tune up his reaction times and practice his moves...but if he lost, he dropped and did some pushups on camera.  This cracked me up to no end, it's so not the stereotype of a gamer to be even a bit buff in real life but this guy sort of defies a lot of the typical traits of a hardcore gamer.  I ended up listening to it all afternoon and it was oddly inspiring to me to work in more exercise myself.  That probably won't make sense to anyone but me, but this is someone I can kind of relate to showing that you can have fun and work out too.  No gear, no video, no set schedule...just toning up some while waiting on the game to move forward.  Sometimes inspiration comes from the oddest places!

I think that's the exact recipe I found and how funny, I read your first post about it to say you had bought the soup so I was guessing this wouldn't even be close really but printed it out to try.

I'm feeling pretty good in spite of the snow on the horizon...ran out at lunch and got everything I need for this next week, I hope...so I can stay in all weekend. 

Now this part is pretty silly, but have to share...I've mentioned before I am something of a gamer.  Well, one of the games that I play has a pro league with tournaments and a live final with some pretty high stakes winnings.  One of the teams in the finals this year has a player I sort of have (the worlds hugest) crush on.  He does some live broadcasting of himself playing the game and yesterday while I was at lunch I got a pop up on my iPod that he was live.  Turns out he was doing some "training" where he played a match against random people just to tune up his reaction times and practice his moves...but if he lost, he dropped and did some pushups on camera.  This cracked me up to no end, it's so not the stereotype of a gamer to be even a bit buff in real life but this guy sort of defies a lot of the typical traits of a hardcore gamer.  I ended up listening to it all afternoon and it was oddly inspiring to me to work in more exercise myself.  That probably won't make sense to anyone but me, but this is someone I can kind of relate to showing that you can have fun and work out too.  No gear, no video, no set schedule...just toning up some while waiting on the game to move forward.  Sometimes inspiration comes from the oddest places!

I like this and it has made me think of exercise in spurts! Doable. Thanks.

There are a couple of things I'd do differently. I'd use smaller pineapple than chunks so that the flavor would be more spread through the dish. And the texture of the "broth" may have been better with the beans and cup of water. But the flavor was great, and I've always liked the mix of sweet and savory together. So it's a keeper.

Speaking of exercise, I had intended to go to the gym this morning, but the thought of bringing my sweaty self home in subzero temps with -25 windchills just didn't sit right. Temps will be more moderate in the upcoming week. I may even get some outside walking done. February is SUCH a long month. Spring is on the horizon, but that horizon gets farther away some days. Luckily, I have some fun things planned over the next few weekends, so that will keep me entertained till things are looking "springier!"

Reintroduction:  Gluten      Why:  obviously I have a memory deficit.  I decided last week that I was going to try gluten - again.  I have been gluten free for almost 2 years with exception of a couple of cross contamination incidents.  I had looked back over my food journals for last 2 years and realized that a lot of the symptoms I was tracking seem to have resolved with stopping HRT.  (Now in hindsight I realize that I just didn't journal symptoms very well :wacko: )  I fully expected that I would have some immediate reaction Friday after having real spaghetti (it was hard to find a gluten source without dairy because I didn't want to mix the two).  I didn't have a reaction.  Then I started thinking "oh my gosh, what if for the last 2 years I have been so diligent about gluten and all along it was dairy and side effects of HRT."  That would be a good thing - right?  Except then I would feel pretty stupid too.  I didn't want to have symptoms but then again I didn't want to not have symptoms - talk about split personality - I am a Gemini after all.  Never mind the fact that I know I have about a 48 hour delay in symptoms - always have.  So here I sit now so very nauseated since last night, headache and joint pain.  We are expecting snow/ice here tonight and tomorrow - not that I want bad weather but I'm hoping not to work tomorrow :ph34r:

Anyway - this just shows the importance of really good journaling I guess.  Hope everyone has had a great weekend and had have a safe week.

Spiralizer report...kind of mixed results.  First off, I looked up the one my sister got me and it's this:  http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/paderno-spiralizer-4-blade/

I found it a bit initimidating to setup the first time, the directions were just barely enough and there seemed to be a whole lot of steps and sharp blades.  Looking back on it, I think this is probably for the best because it means it packs down better than if you didn't need to assemble it all.  Once I got it set up and deciphered the final (least clear of all) direction, the rest went very smoothly.  I did find I needed to occasionally take the potato off and slice the end clean to keep it secure and feeding through smoothly but I was astonished at how many "noodles" came out of a single potato. 

I tried a recipe off the spiralizing site I linked before for sweet potato "fries" which were roasted with a mix of paprika and garlic.  Loved the flavor, but the texture was way more "pasta" than it was "fries".  As a side dish with steak it was fine, but not entirely what I had hoped for texture wise.  I had some leftover and will try reheating them on the griddle tonight hoping for a crispier texture.  My plans for them for the week was to have them topped with grilled pink salmon so a pasta texture won't be the worst, but fingers crossed for something less mushy. 

I think I will probably like the sweet potato noodle version better than I did the zuchinni and this is coming from someone who adores zuchinni.  It just had a better overall taste and feel. 

The curse of the chicken continues though, my totally "safe" crockpot shredded bbq chicken is looking like yet another fail when it comes to being a tasty lunch.  Will someone please tell me to just stop buying chicken until this runs it's course?!?  The problem is, nothing else sounds good either.  I was talking to my friend the other day though and I think I almost always hit a phase like this as spring approaches.  Usually this time of year I have to go to the local gourmet grocery for fresh flowers, fresh bread, and ice cream...in that order...just to tempt myself into eating anything.  I hadn't really realized it until I couldn't do it, but somehow it's like my appetite just gives up during the winter months.  Is that a thing?!  No idea...but I hope it passes soon, it's making all this a lot harder.  This week I'm all about brainstorming which foods I haven't incorporated recently and trying to hit on anything that seems fresh and/or tempting.    The first two things that came to mind were grapefruit and asparagus...probably NOT together.

@bpaitsel, hope you got luckier than I did with the weather...after a nightmare drive home Friday, the rest of our snow came early enough on Sunday that it was a memory by this morning.  At least as far as the roads went.  Not complaining, not at all, but there was no excuse for making it a long weekend.  Sigh.  On the other hand temps are set to climb all week, though I will believe that 60 when I see it. 

Hi 

We continue to have sufferingly hot weather but the water is close and I think warm, my husband doesn't agree. I go in almost everyday.

Crimsann, food revolts are a real thing. I am still struggling with not wanting to eat and the other day I missed lunch completely but paid for it the next day. I was so sore and in such pain in all my joints and muscles, you would have thought I had done a major workout the day before. Vegetables are important--as important as breathing I am beginning to think. So is protein, so is fat--well the W30 foods I guess. :)

I keep making the sweet potato gratin with kumara and adjusting for AIP--it is becoming a staple in this house. My husband loves it and I have begun to keep a frozen one on hand in case we run out before I use the oven again! I have passed that recipe on to so many people.

Nothing much to report. I did have a cup of coffee the other day and was up all night--guess that occasional coffee is not the way to go. Funny it didn't bother me on day 31 now on day 40 something it knocked my socks off. I am taking that as a good sign that the time I have spent doing AIP is working and my system is now able to tell when something is off. May be a skewed way of looking at it but it is incentive to go forward.

We are still set for high temperatures, not even 0700 and it is already 21C or 70F  Could be worse and we are getting occasional rain so that helps.

Crimsann - sorry you are having a hard time with your appetite.  I am so simple I don't mind having repetitive boring meals - my husband on the other hand gets bored very easily.  I think when spring/summer fresh veggies are available everyone will be happy :)

MissLindy - I think you are looking at it exactly right.  Your system is getting calmed down on AIP so now you can pinpoint problems - way to go.

Had about 7" of snow today along with now freezing rain and sleet which is quite a mess.  Just hoping to not lose power.  Supposed to warm up overnight and then have rain.  Looking for 60s over the weekend!  Still feeling quite nauseated from the gluten challenge and starting to feel very tired - even though I have been very lazy today except for some time shoveling the snow.  Not sure if that is from the gluten (fatigue has been a big symptom for me in the past) or possibly from having legumes (peanut butter and beans - not together!) today.  I had previously reintroduced them and didn't notice any problems though.   I guess that's why it is better not to add foods back in on a regular basis until all reintro's are done!  Will go back to compliant diet until feel great again and go from there - it's a journey.

I looked in my fridge this morning for what I planned to take to work for breakfast, and nothing looked good--not what I planned to take, and not anything else in there. I don't think this has ever happened to me before. And if winter isn't over soon, I'm just going to have to go to bed as soon as I get home from work! I crawled into bed at 9pm last night, and 9 hours later, I could barely get up for work. I'm looking forward to warmer temps later this week, and maybe some outside walking. That should help the whole situation! A little sun would go a long way too. Fingers crossed!!!

I may be ready to admit to slander....I think I maligned that chicken dish before properly tasting it.  It turns out, I've gotten it down quite easily both days this week so far.  Nothing special, just chicken, some chunks of butternut, chili and cumin, and some very plain bbq sauce.  I added the butternut on a whim thinking that letting it cook down for a long period of time would result in a sort of "sauce" of it's own adding some thickness and some sweetness to the sauce itself.  When I was shredding the chicken, I smashed the soft squash as well leaving just a few larger pieces.  At the time I thought I had gone all wrong with trying to make it sweet.  I wasn't looking for anything actually sweet just thought the thing we love about bbg is the counterpoint between sweet and tangy...or that's the way I like it anyway.  Thankfully after it all cooled and melded some, it seems that worked pretty well.  It's still not quite what I want, but it's definitely edible. 

Dinner tonight was what is becoming the Tigers and Turtles version of "fast food" I think...the old chicken sausage standby.  One way chicken never lets me down, LOL!  I added to that a whole mess of roasted asparagus after finding bunches of the super thin stalks for a change, so much more tender than the woody stuff.  And a few sliced strawberries.  The asparagus roasted while I packed my lunch for tomorrow and it was all very simple and tasty.  Whew! 

Tomorrow is looking like a fun one, after hounding the photographer for an appointment for my little niece's 6-month photo's she contacts my sister at 11:00 PM to say she can get us in tomorrow morning.  Since I have half the props and studied photography...I usually go, but trying to make plans this late at night to get off work and....grrrrrrr.  I'm kind of hoping my sister decides not to take that one, though I suspect she is trying to get it in on a Wednesday when her husband is off so he can go as well.  It just would be the worst day this week for my schedule and such late notice.  We love this girls work, but the last time we both had problems with our orders and it's getting harder and harder to get in.  I suspect if she doesn't take this opening....well off to try and get things packed so she can pick them up at least if I can't make it. 

Quick check-in... SO tired. That's my primary depression symptom, and it's in full swing this month. Went to bed at 8:30 last night, and couldn't get up at 6am. But I'm up and at work, so that's a step in the right direction. I grabbed two containers from the freezer for breakfast and lunch--not sure exactly what's in them, but they'll do in a pinch and I know they're W30-compliant. Nibbling at junk again. Going to have to do another 30 soon. Why is that so hard to stop???

Archived