Tigers and Turtles - 2016

Crimsann

On 12/29/2016 at 6:43 AM, vozelle said:

For those of you planning to do a January Whole30, here's a link to join in the "official" fun (you'll get emails and other swag by joining). Start date is Monday  Jan 2nd:

http://whole30.com/2016/12/join-januarywhole30-2017/

And here's a forum thread that is gaining momentum, if you want to follow along with a group:  

I just registered for this but will be a bit relaxed about it all while company is here for 4 days, no sugar but may not be as rigid as I have been.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you planning to do a January Whole30, here's a link to join in the "official" fun (you'll get emails and other swag by joining). Start date is Monday  Jan 2nd:

And here's a forum thread that is gaining momentum, if you want to follow along with a group:  

I just registered for this but will be a bit relaxed about it all while company is here for 4 days, no sugar but may not be as rigid as I have been.

I don't seem to be able to post anything except add to this, can anyone help?

Have you refreshed your page @misslindy? Or signed out & in again to the forum?

I know sometimes if I start to reply to a post (in work for instance) & then get distracted that it takes a bit of effort to get rid of what I'd started to type, even if hours/days later!

Thanks for your reply

On 1/22/2017 at 10:18 AM, jmcbn said:

Have you refreshed your page @misslindy? Or signed out & in again to the forum?

I know sometimes if I start to reply to a post (in work for instance) & then get distracted that it takes a bit of effort to get rid of what I'd started to type, even if hours/days later!

Thanks for your reply, I tried signing out and then back in but it still won't let me start a new comment. I don't know what to do unless I register under a new user name?

How is everyone doing? Nancy, is your knee healing as expected? Crimsann, how's that new work schedule going? misslindy, did the ground ever stop shaking down there in NZ? C_Cezeaux did your burn heal up after your unfortunate Chicken Incident? 

I'm on Day 11 after restarting 1/14... following along with one of the forum groups.  The main difference for me when doing a Whole30 versus my regular life now, is that I adhere to the meal template/timing, and limit snacking. Normally I am quite the grazer, it seems. I noticed that this time around has been more of a challenge regarding the snacking. I seem to have gotten into a habit of reaching for nuts and other compliant snack foods a lil' too often (you may remember my love affair with nuts, *sigh*). I'm working on that this time around, and have also committed to 30+ min of exercise 5-6 days a week. Life goes on. More learning!

Just completed all the lab tests to see how my guts are doing following the completion of my many months of treatment. We'll see what the "State Of The Union" is regarding the GOOD vs BAD bugs living in there. Should have results in a few weeks... wish me luck!

50 minutes ago, vozelle said:

How is everyone doing? Nancy, is your knee healing as expected? Crimsann, how's that new work schedule going? misslindy, did the ground ever stop shaking down there in NZ? C_Cezeaux did your burn heal up after your unfortunate Chicken Incident? 

I'm on Day 11 after restarting 1/14... following along with one of the forum groups.  The main difference for me when doing a Whole30 versus my regular life now, is that I adhere to the meal template/timing, and limit snacking. Normally I am quite the grazer, it seems. I noticed that this time around has been more of a challenge regarding the snacking. I seem to have gotten into a habit of reaching for nuts and other compliant snack foods a lil' too often (you may remember my love affair with nuts, *sigh*). I'm working on that this time around, and have also committed to 30+ min of exercise 5-6 days a week. Life goes on. More learning!

Just completed all the lab tests to see how my guts are doing following the completion of my many months of treatment. We'll see what the "State Of The Union" is regarding the GOOD vs BAD bugs living in there. Should have results in a few weeks... wish me luck!

Vozelle, I feel you on the snacking! That's what I let myself fall into as well. I am making my house rule for myself that I only eat at the table now. I had gotten really bad at munching through a book or while on the computer. 

I'm extending to go through with my daughter, she and her best friend are starting this week. I'm really hoping for good things for her on the allergy front. 

Hey guys...nothing too much to report on my end, but thought it was time for a check-in.  I've been sticking to my reset schedule which means I'm on Day 10 of my workouts and I've started my second week of easing back towards where I was last summer.  This week's reset is to get back to doing something other than cardio, I'm not yet up to doing the 7-minute workout on top of my treadmill time but I am adding in some sit-ups every day and will increase that to something more structured later on.  Like I said, I'm trying to keep these weekly resets completely manageable so nothing crazy. 

I'm doing okay on the workouts, but it's going to take a couple weeks to be back to where that feels easy and I've noticed that

Hey guys...nothing too much to report on my end, but thought it was time for a check-in.  I've been sticking to my reset schedule which means I'm on Day 10 of my workouts and I've started my second week of easing back towards where I was last summer.  This week's reset is to get back to doing something other than cardio, I'm not yet up to doing the 7-minute workout on top of my treadmill time but I am adding in some sit-ups every day and will increase that to something more structured later on.  Like I said, I'm trying to keep these weekly resets completely manageable so nothing crazy. 

I'm doing okay on the workouts, but it's going to take a couple weeks to be back to where that feels easy.  I'm still struggling a bit with the time of day too, but it also dawned on me that when I was doing this so consistently last summer it also wasn't the middle of winter and even getting home hours later it was still light outside for a bit.  It's possible that part of what I'm struggling with right now is the lack of daylight as much as it is the change in my routine.  So I'm sticking with it knowing that for one or more factors it should only get easier. 

The other interesting tidbit I hadn't fully taken into account is that it takes longer on the treadmill now to make up the difference.  Just 3-4 more hours of walking around the office meant I used to come home closer to my goal and a 30 minute workout was enough to round that off.  Now it's more likely to require a 40-45 minute workout.  Still a good trade-off to have those hours back, but it's not helping in the short term.  Also, for some reason, my Apple watch is not picking up as many active minutes.  If you remember me talking about this before, their fitness app tracks three measurements: the number of active calories you burn (calories above the normal amount you would burn just sitting still), the number of minutes you are in a target heart rate, and how many hours you stand up and move at least one minute.  My workout goal is to close the first ring every day, but I used to almost always close all three rings if I concentrated on the first.  Doing a 30 minute workout to make up the calorie gap automatically ticked off the 30 minutes in a target heart rate as well but now I'm only seeing about 20 minutes count towards that.  I would think, being rusty at this, that I would be in the target heart rate more rather than less until it becomes routine again...but it's the opposite.  And I'm more likely to sit the rest of the evening without noticing so it's harder to get a full 12 hours on the stand goal as well.

So all that just means I need to dig a little deeper, and I do think it's a good thing if more of my active calories per day are from an intentional workout rather than just walking around.  Also it's clear I need to find ways to make sure I'm moving more at night now.  When I was getting home at 9 or 10 it was one thing to crash for the rest of the night, it's an entirely different thing to start crashing at 6 or 7!!!!  I expect this will feel different to me when it doesn't LOOK like it's 10:00 even though it's only 7:00, but until the days start to get longer I'm going to need to find a way to get my mental clock back in order.  I know the habits I create in these first couple months are really going to set the tone so thanks for helping keep me honest and keep asking!  :) 

Well, what do you know it is working now? Greeblies in the machine.

I have been having a terrible time and not sure what I can attribute it to--just bad time I guess. I have started again today and intend to do a minimum of 30 days before changing anything. I have not lost the weight I want, in fact in all of this not sure I have lost any and that is terribly discouraging. I know it is not about weight loss but for me that is a huge thing. I like eating this way, it is easier to plan and execute and I do feel better than I used to. Still want to wear my lovely clothes not my big clothes. Shallow that's me but perhaps I will have to live with it.

The ground is no longer shaking down here but summer hasn't shown up yet in any true form and it is almost time for fall/autumn. I have only been able to swim 4 times the past three months--shocking!

OH is sorting the back porch-thingy so we can have a semi outdoor gym. Will put the bike in there and do some weights etc so that will be a good thing. The problem is there is so much junk there that it may never get finished. Mind you sorting it all and getting rid of it is excellent exercise.

Hope you are all doing well. 

9 hours ago, misslindy said:

Well, what do you know it is working now? Greeblies in the machine.

I have been having a terrible time and not sure what I can attribute it to--just bad time I guess. I have started again today and intend to do a minimum of 30 days before changing anything. I have not lost the weight I want, in fact in all of this not sure I have lost any and that is terribly discouraging. I know it is not about weight loss but for me that is a huge thing. I like eating this way, it is easier to plan and execute and I do feel better than I used to. Still want to wear my lovely clothes not my big clothes. Shallow that's me but perhaps I will have to live with it.

The ground is no longer shaking down here but summer hasn't shown up yet in any true form and it is almost time for fall/autumn. I have only been able to swim 4 times the past three months--shocking!

OH is sorting the back porch-thingy so we can have a semi outdoor gym. Will put the bike in there and do some weights etc so that will be a good thing. The problem is there is so much junk there that it may never get finished. Mind you sorting it all and getting rid of it is excellent exercise.

Hope you are all doing well. 

MissLindy, I feel you on the lack of true summer. Makes me feel like I never get warm all the way through when that happens, so them I'm  not prepared for cold weather of winter. 

Good luck on your porch project, sounds like a great project and good workout spot. 

I will do 30 with you, I like eating this way as well, simplifies things for me. I am also on the weight loss train again, or at least the shaping up train. Have two "functions coming up this year and know I won't be happy if my clothes don't fit well.

On 2/2/2017 at 1:12 AM, C_Cezeaux said:

MissLindy, I feel you on the lack of true summer. Makes me feel like I never get warm all the way through when that happens, so them I'm  not prepared for cold weather of winter. 

Good luck on your porch project, sounds like a great project and good workout spot. 

I will do 30 with you, I like eating this way as well, simplifies things for me. I am also on the weight loss train again, or at least the shaping up train. Have two "functions coming up this year and know I won't be happy if my clothes don't fit well.

Excellent, I have started and am doing well with the eating so are we going to do a countdown or just 'do it'? The past three days have been good for me. I have had more fruit than I should: banana, plums and blueberries but it seems I need it and it is not doing me any harm. So when you are ready to start I am ready to go. Have been drinking mineral water to help ease all the muscle cramps and it is working, I think needing the banana is in aid of reducing cramps and replacing minerals too since bananas are not a go-to food for me.

I like your counting down instead of starting at 1, but just doing it works for me too, lol. I'm working on sticking on the template at night, that's when I am worst at snacking and when I'm most likely to eat too much just by mindlessly eating at the end of hectic days.

I did quite a bit of reading trying to figure out my cravings on one of the last go rounds, it was really interesting. I have not had the craving for corn chips since I upped my magnesium. :-D I think you're on to something with your mineral water. :-)

Good for you guys! I'm on Day 21 right now...  going steady but struggling with a little food boredom this week. I just wish there was a 100% Paleo restaurant in town, and I could just go there 5 nights a week and not have to cook anything myself! There are so many good recipes to try, of course,, but I just don't feel like being in the kitchen right now. I'm also dealing with some sugar cravings,, ugh.  @C_Cezeaux  can you please share some of the resources and reading materials about cravings that helped you? Thx!  : )

It's me again with another app.  I have to say this is more a review in case anyone finds it interesting than an actual recommendation for reasons I will get into...but I started about two weeks ago using an app called Battle Steps.  Just saw it as a featured app and thought it might be fun.  It reminded me of my first pedometer which also came with an app that let you compete against random people.  Those competitions were more short lived back and forth challenges, I don't even remember how they really worked but I don't think it was about winning as much as taking turns and getting a nudge when it was your turn. 

This app pairs you up with a new person every day.  I thought the variety would introduce a little unknown into it, some days I may not have to put in much effort to win...other days I may get blown out of the water, but knowing myself I would always be pushed to win.  Matching yourself with the same friends every day just creates a bit too much predictability...you know the pal you have no chance against and the one where if you walk around the parking lot for a minute you are a shoo-in.  This would build in a fresh challenge every day, I would never know for sure what I was going to be up against.  You set the hours you would be most active, a 12-hour range, and it pairs you with random people who would also be active for that window.  It also shows hour-by-hour how you compared with your rival and you collect stars for winning each hour.  You can win more hours and still lose the day though if they race past you by racking up a ton of steps in a single hour.  This also means you could be stuck in a meeting all afternoon but still win the day by putting in some solid time afterwards.

For what I hoped it would do, it does sort of work.  Case in point the first Saturday when it was neck and neck all day long and I never did end up winning but I had to check in every hour and try to stay on top.  It resulted in a nearly personal best on step count on a day I could have otherwise stayed curled up on the couch.  It also resulted in a very sore me the next day.

I've won most of my match-ups, some closer than others, but often I did have to do a little more somewhere/sometime to get that win.  So I'm sticking with it for now.

(But in full disclosure, I don't necessarily recommend it because the app itself seems to have some issues.  First off it only really syncs steps with either Apple Watch or FitBit which may or may not work for you.  And even with one of those I find it constantly lags on refreshing my steps even though it's supposed to be doing this in the background all day long.  That makes it hard to know how you are doing against your rival at any point in time.  It also frequently shows me as idle or even as having lost in a given hour even though it registered steps and I was ahead that hour not behind.  I sometimes feel bad because I workout in a solid block later in the evening and while I may be behind in total steps all day, that last hour or two will see me shoot ahead.  Or, it would if the app refreshed in a timely manner.  Instead it's too often too late for my rival to try and match assuming they would want to.  And one final complaint, nearly every single day I start out matched with one person who never checks in so I get switched to someone else half way through the day...again making it hard to know how you are doing.  It's good that it does come up with a new match so you aren't winning against people who aren't even on but still.  I suspect this is because it's a newer app and the kind of thing people try for a day or two then drop.  I think it would be vastly improved with some sort of manual refresh option and a system where a number of active days in a row would move you into a higher tier with other proven active users so the rematch instances were less common.)

Just some thoughts, still struggling with tightening the belt on food...I may consider doing a Whole30 in March after all if I can't get better in balance but I'm trying not to be too hard on myself because working out is a harder habit for me and I'm doing good on that front. 

Hi, I'm back! Surgery is over, recovery is coming along nicely, and the three weeks off of work was the perfect amount of time to feel refreshed but not bored. Having some physical therapy, and then hope to get back to walking and hiking. There was another unplanned bit of time off the first week I was to have gone back to work--five days of the stomach flu. Blech. That left me eating bland (read: white) foods for several days. Am now working on getting back to a plan of eating that works for me. Step one: deciding what that plan actually is. I ordered a box of meat from Butcher Box (www.butcherbox.com). They have "nose-to-tail" grass fed/finished beef, pasture raised chicken, and the equivalent (not sure of the term) in pork, and ship it on a schedule of your choosing (although they choose the cuts, which might be a problem at some point--beef cheeks? Um...). If I'll be eating more meat than usual, it might as well be quality meat! Add fruits, veggies, good fats, nuts, and maybe the occasional bit of cheese. Maybe consider a W30 in March. I'm definitely tired of eating poorly, and not having a plan!

I found a thing on Facebook for a company called Everly Well. They do different kinds of testing on a blood sample you submit by mail. I had one done for reactions to 96 different foods. I reacted strongly to milk and yogurt, and to a couple of grains (although not gluten or wheat). One of those grains was malt, which i believe is one of the headline ingredients in my favorite grown up beverage, beer. The company is very new, so I was a bit nervous about it, but I was very impressed with both the customer service and the results! 

I'm looking forward to feeling good again. I turn 60 in July (WHAT???), although that surprises most people, and I want to keep it that way! I had a stress test before my surgery, and I was in the Cardiology waiting room which is shared with the Pain Management department. I saw a lot of people I DON'T want to end up like. I want to be able to carry seven bags of groceries from the car to the kitchen, even up a flight of stairs! 

Short post because I've just tied my hair back to do a monster spring cleaning project that may have me in therapy with you Nancy...but I wanted to pop on to say I'm glad you are doing well and I think we should make March a thing.  Just enough time to get ready and I know I need it.  

More later when I can look myself in the eye again regarding tidiness.  LOL

Today is Day 30 for me, kinda glad to be done. Had difficulty with snacking and sugar cravings this time, especially following a super stressful week last week with a family medical emergency, power outages, raging storms and road closures. Crazy! I definitely notice a difference when I'm eating too many nuts, seeds and dried fruit. Looking forward to a few focused reintroductions and then probably back to my usual Paleo rhythm.

Some of my medical test results came in, and it looks like the main bad bugs (parasites) are gone, *whew*!  I am so relieved, because that medication was very expensive, and it had weird side effects. Unfortunately, it looks like I still have SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), so I'll be meeting with the MD next week to figure out what to do about that. Disappointed, because I completed the 45 day antimicrobial protocol right after Christmas, and I was REALLY  hoping that would be it. Apparently, this SIBO stuff can be hard to conquer. 

I just realized that I am now 6 months into the "no sugar" experiment. Planning to relax a bit regarding natural added sweetener in dressings, sauces, etc. Will continue to avoid refined sugar and artificial sweeteners like the plague. Might make a compliant dessert and see what happens... something sweetened with dates or fruit.

Have a good week, everyone!

21 hours ago, vozelle said:

Today is Day 30 for me, kinda glad to be done. Had difficulty with snacking and sugar cravings this time, especially following a super stressful week last week with a family medical emergency, power outages, raging storms and road closures. Crazy! I definitely notice a difference when I'm eating too many nuts, seeds and dried fruit. Looking forward to a few focused reintroductions and then probably back to my usual Paleo rhythm.

Some of my medical test results came in, and it looks like the main bad bugs (parasites) are gone, *whew*!  I am so relieved, because that medication was very expensive, and it had weird side effects. Unfortunately, it looks like I still have SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), so I'll be meeting with the MD next week to figure out what to do about that. Disappointed, because I completed the 45 day antimicrobial protocol right after Christmas, and I was REALLY  hoping that would be it. Apparently, this SIBO stuff can be hard to conquer. 

I just realized that I am now 6 months into the "no sugar" experiment. Planning to relax a bit regarding natural added sweetener in dressings, sauces, etc. Will continue to avoid refined sugar and artificial sweeteners like the plague. Might make a compliant dessert and see what happens... something sweetened with dates or fruit.

Have a good week, everyone!

Hi Vozelle

I noticed you were talking about sugar cravings and commented about dried fruit--which I am sure you know has so much concentrated sugar--the other thing which could be adding to the dilemma is the sulphur in dried fruit??? Just a thought.

Good that the parasites are gone. I wonder if the dried fruit is contributing to SIBO with the sugar content. Sorry to be a killjoy here but raw fruit is actually better, especially berries because the sugar content is not as concentrated.here but raw fruit is actually better, especially berries because the sugar content is not as concentrated. IMO

Hi

Good to hear you are back on deck, Nancy. Glad the surgery went well and you are eager to forge ahead.

Don't have any idea what day I am on now but haven't have the smallest deviation so am pleased. I am still struggling at the 3-5pm mark, almost every day but talk myself out of eating anything off plan.

Drinking the mineral water has been beneficial but I think I can back off a bit now. Not sure what I shall use as a replacement. Water with lemon perhaps. I don't seem to be screaming for coffee like I used to as well. I didn't even drink coffee until a few years ago then could take it or leave it, then became an addict, still only had one cup a day but the past few months I have craved coffee everyday, still only one cup but man did I want that coffee. Strange. But that has backed off and I can just enjoy my coffee or not have it and it is okay too.

I have been switching up my breakfasts so not eating the same thing every day and that is interesting. Cynthia you might try that for a bit. One morning I have ox cheek soup: very simple with onion, celery, carrot and ox cheek; then next day meatloaf with veg, then eggs or fritata with veg --that seems to make a difference to my late afternoon desires! Again, who knows why, and basically who cares? It works for me.

Have backed off the fruit again and sticking to blueberries so that is fine too. Not waking up in the night because I am hungry any more but often feel hungry shortly after meals and can't imagine why that would be as I am eating plenty.

So that's my catch up.

Did anyone realize we have passed our year mark of this group forming? Well done us.

23 hours ago, misslindy said:

Hi Vozelle

I noticed you were talking about sugar cravings and commented about dried fruit--which I am sure you know has so much concentrated sugar--the other thing which could be adding to the dilemma is the sulphur in dried fruit??? Just a thought.

Good that the parasites are gone. I wonder if the dried fruit is contributing to SIBO with the sugar content. Sorry to be a killjoy here but raw fruit is actually better, especially berries because the sugar content is not as concentrated.here but raw fruit is actually better, especially berries because the sugar content is not as concentrated. IMO

Hi @misslindy, yes that's exactly the problem, super concentrated fructose, ack! I was reaching for it during my stressful week, had no fresh fruit on hand, and that was right before I got the SIBO results... so I didn't know it would be so bad. It definitely affected the symptoms. I was busy patting my own back just for staying compliant during such a crazy week! Luckily sulfur isn't an issue, as I am allergic to it and only have the non-sulfured kind in the house. I started on low FODMAP foods yesterday, and the symptoms are already improving. No dried fruit allowed, just the berries you mentioned and a few other fresh fruits. I'm not much of a fruit eater anyway, normally… LOL.

51 minutes ago, vozelle said:

Hi @misslindy, yes that's exactly the problem, super concentrated fructose, ack! I was reaching for it during my stressful week, had no fresh fruit on hand, and that was right before I got the SIBO results... so I didn't know it would be so bad. It definitely affected the symptoms. I was busy patting my own back just for staying compliant during such a crazy week! Luckily sulfur isn't an issue, as I am allergic to it and only have the non-sulfured kind in the house. I started on low FODMAP foods yesterday, and the symptoms are already improving. No dried fruit allowed, just the berries you mentioned and a few other fresh fruits. I'm not much of a fruit eater anyway, normally… LOL.

Good that you managed so well during high stress. I am so in awe of your 6 months no added sugar--must be your superpower!

I just noticed that my post was repeating itself, how does that happen? I changed it a few times before posting but clearly missed some repeats.

Still hanging in, been a bit rocky here though. Have struggled with various winter ailments from sinus to flu type bug, messed up my shoulder somehow, no clue what I did to it. Hubs broke his foot yesterday at work when a steel beam fell on it. Ugh. 

Hanging in on the compliant food as well, although my template is skewed. Not getting enough veg in the morning, but have been on a bone broth soup kick lately, quick and easy to grab and go.  I like the idea of alternating foods, MissLindy, just need to get my butt in motion and get prepped again. I have not tried making meatloaf without a bread filler, sounds like something I need to investigate. 

Still fighting the evening munching, have decided to play mind games with myself by changing habits instead of giving up a habit. Sort of like distracting a 3 year old, lol. I also am trying the countdown instead of counting up this time. Somehow it makes a difference in my brain.

Nancy, glad your surgery went well, take care during recovery. I am a big fan of the grass Fed beef, I think it has a much better flavor.

Vozelle, when I was reading up on cravings, I ended up all over the Internet everywhere from the livestrong site, prevention, WebMD, anywhere that looked reputable and didn't come with a "try our magic diet plan" line somewhere on the page.

Crimsann, I could wish my house had been your spring cleaning project. There's a dust bunny under the couch that is going to need a name if I don't get rid of it soon. Seriously thinking I need to assign myself one small chore each day just for the sense of accomplishment finishing it gives me.

Happy Anniversary to us!

Yup, Crimsann, March for sure. I find myself making excuses for why I should start cleaning up my eating "tomorrow"... I need a good kick in the ass to get in gear. I'm eating better, but there is SO much room for improvement!

Hi to everyone! Heading off to bed way early as I didn't get much sleep last night. Will catch up soon!

Update on March Whole30... My sister will be in town March 2-4, and we have a slew of plans already made. Will start officially on March 5. I have to go dig through all of my unpacked boxes in the basement to find the things I absolutely need to do this! Immersion blender, small containers that fit exactly one 8 oz. carton of coconut milk to take with me for coffee at work, and other odds and ends that will make this process easier. I've warned my roommate (and the owner of the house!) that I will be taking over the kitchen periodically (ha!) with an insane amount of food prep. And I also need to dig out my Whole30 book to have a look again. A friend at work has just completed one, and is still mostly compliant, so we'll be lunching together when we can to share support and ideas, and maybe even some meals!

Archived