Tigers and Turtles - 2016

Crimsann

5 hours ago, NancyW said:

Update on March Whole30... My sister will be in town March 2-4, and we have a slew of plans already made. Will start officially on March 5. I have to go dig through all of my unpacked boxes in the basement to find the things I absolutely need to do this! Immersion blender, small containers that fit exactly one 8 oz. carton of coconut milk to take with me for coffee at work, and other odds and ends that will make this process easier. I've warned my roommate (and the owner of the house!) that I will be taking over the kitchen periodically (ha!) with an insane amount of food prep. And I also need to dig out my Whole30 book to have a look again. A friend at work has just completed one, and is still mostly compliant, so we'll be lunching together when we can to share support and ideas, and maybe even some meals!

Good for you, NancyW! You're going to feel great once you get into the swing of it again. How nice to have a Paleo lunch companion. Best wishes to you and good luck with all that prepping.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/15/2017 at 3:43 PM, C_Cezeaux said:

Still hanging in, been a bit rocky here though. Have struggled with various winter ailments from sinus to flu type bug, messed up my shoulder somehow, no clue what I did to it. Hubs broke his foot yesterday at work when a steel beam fell on it. Ugh. 

Hanging in on the compliant food as well, although my template is skewed. Not getting enough veg in the morning, but have been on a bone broth soup kick lately, quick and easy to grab and go.  I like the idea of alternating foods, MissLindy, just need to get my butt in motion and get prepped again. I have not tried making meatloaf without a bread filler, sounds like something I need to investigate. 

Still fighting the evening munching, have decided to play mind games with myself by changing habits instead of giving up a habit. Sort of like distracting a 3 year old, lol. I also am trying the countdown instead of counting up this time. Somehow it makes a difference in my brain.

Nancy, glad your surgery went well, take care during recovery. I am a big fan of the grass Fed beef, I think it has a much better flavor.

Vozelle, when I was reading up on cravings, I ended up all over the Internet everywhere from the livestrong site, prevention, WebMD, anywhere that looked reputable and didn't come with a "try our magic diet plan" line somewhere on the page.

Crimsann, I could wish my house had been your spring cleaning project. There's a dust bunny under the couch that is going to need a name if I don't get rid of it soon. Seriously thinking I need to assign myself one small chore each day just for the sense of accomplishment finishing it gives me.

Sounds like things have definitely been rocky. Sorry to hear about your husband, not nice.

Making meatloaf without a bread filler is really not a big deal--surprising how that crockpot meatloaf recipe works. Warning!!! I think the fennel put Montezuma's revenge on me and I didn't click onto it for a few weeks. Spent most of those weeks in the loo! and ended up with a very sore bottom.  I now just make it with very few spices and bake it in the oven or just fry up sections and freeze the others, what ever I feel most inclined to do. Laziness is my motivation.

Hello everyone. 

Decided today should be clean the office day and my husband got in on the act as well with the waterblaster--reading this last sentence would make one think we live in a dump. Not quite, he was cleaning sheepskin rugs outside while I did the inside of the house--not thoroughly but at least the middle. 

Cynthia, you mentioned a dust bunny that you will have to name??? I have his entire ancestorial line living here. Living by the ocean is lovely but does have drawbacks, dust and seaspray are two of the biggies.

Crimsann, you can have my address and come to clean anytime you want--I will even cook for you, you won't have to think about a thing foodwise.

Nancy, sounds like you have lots of support to do what you want to do with your food choices--how great you have someone at work who is following the same path.

I finally faced my MIL who absolutely does not get the diet thing, she thinks fish and chips are fine--it is fish and potatoes. I explained to her this last time we were there that I feel really ill when I eat them, although I like them, I have decided not to eat things that cause me distress. She still doesn't get it but is not so upset now that I take my own food. I still have to go to the shop and buy the fish and chips for the others but eat my own tinned salmon, tomatoes, and any salad if there is some if not I eat more at night at home. Finally standing up for myself in some ways. I am really pleased about that. I figure if I were diabetic I wouldn't accept sugar laden things why should I now? The whole thing about not being rude doesn't mean we have to give ourselves away to please someone else really, does it? I have struggled with this concept for years. 

Vozelle, hope things are settling for you and you are full of vim and vigor again.

xxL

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:15 PM, misslindy said:

I finally faced my MIL who absolutely does not get the diet thing, she thinks fish and chips are fine--it is fish and potatoes. I explained to her this last time we were there that I feel really ill when I eat them, although I like them, I have decided not to eat things that cause me distress. She still doesn't get it but is not so upset now that I take my own food. I still have to go to the shop and buy the fish and chips for the others but eat my own tinned salmon, tomatoes, and any salad if there is some if not I eat more at night at home. Finally standing up for myself in some ways. I am really pleased about that. I figure if I were diabetic I wouldn't accept sugar laden things why should I now? The whole thing about not being rude doesn't mean we have to give ourselves away to please someone else really, does it? I have struggled with this concept for years. 

I have trouble with this too in some situations.  I still think I sometimes plan my W30's around when I might be able to avoid having to stand out like that...even the potential of a family gathering I tend to try to plan around.  Well that isn't going to happen with this next bout since I'm planning a full year so I need to come to terms with it myself.  I'm glad you shared this and I will be hopefully sharing some of my own as the year goes on.

Wanted to check in before the weekend because I am going on record for March, it's time for a full reset.  Some of my mini resets really helped but quite a few got lost in the shuffle and I need to escalate before I settle in for my Food Freedom experiment.  So my revised plan is for a full W30 plus a few days in March, break in April, and then the launch of the major 365.  I am still working on my modifications for the 365 and one that might surprise you, but which I think is in keeping with the Food Freedom concept (still not done with the book yet) is that I'm going to be allowing one cupcake per batch from what I will be baking all next year.  I don't think I've shared this yet, but I sort of rashly signed up to bake cupcakes for each birthday in our department from March 2017 - 2018.  It will mean about 30 batches spread out over the year and I may not always do it, but I know for quality control I'm going to end up doing it and I might as well pre-plan that in.  I also think though it's a great way to have some "treats" in a responsible way since I will always be baking something that's being taken out of the house and not coming back in.  Built in portion control in that they will always be cupcakes.  I'm also intending to do some more gourmet ones and will be tailoring each batch to the birthday person which will be both fun for my design brain and will scratch the baking itch.  Feels like a win/win.  The other things on my modification list are much closer to the heart of whole foods if not 100% Paleo though and it's still under 10 items which is a goal I'm being picky about.  If I add something now it means taking something off so I will need to be very selective and once the year starts I'm not going to be changing up the list. 

I will be starting on Monday since I need to cook for the week, probably going to do a simple and tried-and-true menu with chocolate chili for lunch with a kale salad, maybe grilled pork chop/green beans/unsweetened applesauce for dinners.  I am also committing to at least do the cooking breakfast thing until Daylight Savings kicks in.  After that I'm going to be struggling enough as it is to adjust, I always do, but part of my 365 is some sort of AM food and I need to start thinking in terms of three squares now. 

Now off to scroll back here and find out what I missed regarding a crockpot meatloaf!

Hi

Just checking in to see what's happening. Have been doing well so am pleased. But had some setbacks this week, ended up going out for meals three times (almost unheard of in my world!), I didn't eat the obvious things, like bread that was served with the meal but there were things not allowed, like salad dressing that I didn't realize was even on the salad. So have not been 100% but going with my new approach to life, not a huge setback. Although I did notice a difference in my slacks, the waist was definitely much more snug than the previous week. I can't believe the small amount of whatever it was, made such a difference. Never mind it is more information and we carry on.

Just out of the ocean, lovely lovely swim/walk today. High tide and relatively warm water so am a happy camper at the moment.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Hi there! I’m gearing up for my 30 that starts a week from today. I love that Green Giant is making riced veggies that you can get in the freezer section. They have just cauliflower, and they have it with broccoli and with sweet potatoes (my favorite because that’s the mix I use on my breakfast shepherd’s pie), but of course, supply has not caught up with demand yet and there’s never any in the store! They do also have one non-compliant mix. I think it has peas in it.

I can’t find my Whole30 book. It’s in an unpacked box somewhere. I thought I looked in every box yesterday, but didn’t come across it. I have Melissa’s cookbook, and this website, but I really want the book in hand. I’m going to see if I can borrow it from a coworker. Not sure if she has it or not.

Misslindy, sorry you had to hear from Montezuma! I feel your pain, as I spent 5 days with the stomach flu. It happened right before I was supposed to go back to work after the surgery, so I missed most of that first week. I’d rather have the surgery again, than the stomach flu. Glad you figured it out! Oh, and will you come and clean for me? :D

I started reading Food Freedom when it first came out, but it didn’t really resonate with me. Then I talked to a coworker and she said it was SO helpful for her. I decided that I need to try it again, but this time, in conjunction with my W30. Reading it as a “free-standing” book didn’t do it for me.

Crimsann, I like your cupcake plan. I’ve tried things like that in the past, but I really think it would be more doable in the framework of this program. I don’t have any definite plans post-30 at this point, but I don’t intend to let sugar in anytime soon. Cream for my coffee, and un-clarified butter for starters, I think. I do like coconut milk in my coffee, but it’s less convenient to use as I take it to work every day.

Did I mention Butcher Box? Delivered monthly (or less often), grass fed beef, pasture raised chicken, pork, a bit expensive, but I thought it was worth a try. The first things I had were really good, so I plan to get at least one more box in March to get me though the 30. Will evaluate at that time, and maybe get a delivery less frequently. At this time, there isn’t much choice in what you get (February’s box included beef cheeks. WTF does one do with those?? LOL), but they are looking at potential options for giving customers more choice in their selections. And my first order included a free package of compliant bacon! Looking forward to trying that.

Ok, no more putting off cleaning the bathroom. Better get to it!

7 hours ago, NancyW said:

Hi there! I’m gearing up for my 30 that starts a week from today. I love that Green Giant is making riced veggies that you can get in the freezer section. They have just cauliflower, and they have it with broccoli and with sweet potatoes (my favorite because that’s the mix I use on my breakfast shepherd’s pie), but of course, supply has not caught up with demand yet and there’s never any in the store! They do also have one non-compliant mix. I think it has peas in it.

I can’t find my Whole30 book. It’s in an unpacked box somewhere. I thought I looked in every box yesterday, but didn’t come across it. I have Melissa’s cookbook, and this website, but I really want the book in hand. I’m going to see if I can borrow it from a coworker. Not sure if she has it or not.

Misslindy, sorry you had to hear from Montezuma! I feel your pain, as I spent 5 days with the stomach flu. It happened right before I was supposed to go back to work after the surgery, so I missed most of that first week. I’d rather have the surgery again, than the stomach flu. Glad you figured it out! Oh, and will you come and clean for me? :D

I started reading Food Freedom when it first came out, but it didn’t really resonate with me. Then I talked to a coworker and she said it was SO helpful for her. I decided that I need to try it again, but this time, in conjunction with my W30. Reading it as a “free-standing” book didn’t do it for me.

Crimsann, I like your cupcake plan. I’ve tried things like that in the past, but I really think it would be more doable in the framework of this program. I don’t have any definite plans post-30 at this point, but I don’t intend to let sugar in anytime soon. Cream for my coffee, and un-clarified butter for starters, I think. I do like coconut milk in my coffee, but it’s less convenient to use as I take it to work every day.

Did I mention Butcher Box? Delivered monthly (or less often), grass fed beef, pasture raised chicken, pork, a bit expensive, but I thought it was worth a try. The first things I had were really good, so I plan to get at least one more box in March to get me though the 30. Will evaluate at that time, and maybe get a delivery less frequently. At this time, there isn’t much choice in what you get (February’s box included beef cheeks. WTF does one do with those?? LOL), but they are looking at potential options for giving customers more choice in their selections. And my first order included a free package of compliant bacon! Looking forward to trying that.

Ok, no more putting off cleaning the bathroom. Better get to it!

Sorry, Nancy can't do the cleaning for you. I am only good on middles, you need my husband who is such a thorough cleaner it is frightening. I will speak to him for you but don't hold your breath. :)

Hi all! I've decided that among my other goals for this W30 (which haven't been compiled yet), one is to make Nom Nom Paleo's Kahlua Pig. So many people rave about it, and I think that with some compliant (homemade, because the Tessamae's stuff was AWFUL) BBQ sauce, it would be good over sweet potatoes. I have recipes picked out, grocery list made, and will be heading to Costco with my daughter on Sunday. I love our shopping days together! I don't know who else can make a fun excursion out of grocery shopping... 

I've rounded up a couple of people to join me for 30 days--not to do a W30, but to do something. My daughter will eat W30 food, but she won't give up her wine. And my coworker is going to do 30 days of sugar free. So there will be some support in person, besides online. I'll also try to find a March group on the main page. It's helpful to have others who want to kill all the things, so we can work through it together.

My sister is here this weekend, so we have a full few days of some serious goofing off. We'll be shopping today, and having that Wisconsin Friday-During-Lent favorite, fish fry, tonight. Will check in again soon!

I think that's an awesome goal Nancy, I haven't actually ever made the official Kahlua Pig either...I've done my own version with papaya juice and then served with pineapple salsa but it's a bit too early in the season for them to sell the salsa I like and my one attempt at making my own was waaaay too hot.  

I missed my Monday start due to an unfortunate choice to make pizza last weekend and not toss out what was left or give it away.  I've been battling yet another cold too and by the time I got home Monday I was too weak.  LOL!  I did no better Tuesday for that matter, so that had me set up to start Wednesday which was a first of the month any way.  I was eating W30 for lunches so kind of easing into it I guess and I've been on track since making this my Day 3.  I had a mild headache yesterday, not as severe as I expected for how far off the path I've been lately...but feeling better today.  Not sure I'm out of the woods, but I have been low on fruit and carbs too so I'm doubly surprised not to be feeling the hangover.  I don't think I've ever started a W30 without having white potatoes on the menu the first week and I sort of expected this one to be rougher than usual going that cold turkey all at once.  So interesting result.  It feels like my body is readjusting far better than I had any right to hope.  Though of course, tomorrow is the Day 4 of Doom.  But it's a Saturday and I have a long needed hair appointment/spa day so despite the return to chilly temps and the threat of snow...seems like I could survive it.  

I don't have my meal plan for next week finalized yet, I'm thinking about doing a roasted chicken and making some sort of lettuce wraps with chicken breast, bacon, tomato, and either some herb mayo or that green goddess dressing I swear by (loaded with avocado and cilantro).  That wouldn't require too much prep and leaves my crock-pot free to throw something else in.  I found a recipe on Mel Joulwan's site for pizza noodles using spiralized zucchini that had an easy W30 adaptation but between making the noodles and the sauce and the seasonings, the prep is starting to add up and I'm trying to be conscious of keeping a balance between easy meals and variety.  Especially looking at taking on an entire year!  My ideal is one new recipe per week, but mixing it with old standbys so I have a backup plan when I don't like the new one or it just doesn't come to together or tide me over like I thought it would.  Even with my increased spare time, I'm still sticking to my cook once strategy especially for lunches.  I think once the days are longer and warmer I will be more into cooking at night and being able to hit the market and make something more on the fly.  This week I've grilled pork chops just until no longer pink, then did a quick hot sautee of peppers, onions, and zucchini with a bit of chili powder sort of a fajita blend and added chopped pork right at the end to heat through.  Better than just reheating and since I pre-chopped all the veggies it's still pretty quick.  Not a lot of fat though for my evening meal, if I had thought it through I would have made some of the green goddess dressing to drizzle over.  I have noticed being a little hungry before bed and I don't think I can entirely chalk that up to eating early in the evening that I used to.  Definitely something I need to beware of though, I've always suspected that being home more at night will be as much a challenge (on the wanting to snack front) as it will be a benefit!  So my goal for the coming week is to make sure that I get some fat in at night.  

23 hours ago, Crimsann said:

I think that's an awesome goal Nancy, I haven't actually ever made the official Kahlua Pig either...I've done my own version with papaya juice and then served with pineapple salsa but it's a bit too early in the season for them to sell the salsa I like and my one attempt at making my own was waaaay too hot.  

Crimsann, making salsa that's too hot is more of a goal for me, then a boo-boo! :P I've made it before, just using pineapple, cucumber, jalapeno, and something else--vinegar? Can't remember. But I don't care for raw onions, and I'm one of those people who find that cilantro tastes much the same as getting one's mouth washed out with soap, so I'll use my non-recipe instead of buying it. I'm glad your hangover was not bad! I expect mine will be as I have strayed far off my plan (currently known as "a complete lack of planning of ANY kind!), and have had a couple of party-related hangovers this weekend already. When we are together, there's far more drinking than I am used to. We tend to cram several different kinds of socializing into a couple of days when my sister is here.

Those lettuce wraps sound yummy! I have some bacon from my Butcher Box, so will use it for that. And my next butcher box will have a pork butt, which I think I can use for the Kalua Pork.

I am now ready to buckle down and get my 30 on tomorrow! Cooking today, and some Costco shopping with my daughter tomorrow. 

Hi

Doing well but have been having some creepy little thoughts about cookies and muffins. I really don't want to eat them but they seem to be calling me so have been trying to figure out why.

Have been doing exercise everyday, not a huge amount but regular so that has to count for something and I can feel that does. Shape shifting again. 

I am so pleased we decided to stay together for this past year, I think for me, the cracks have been showing up beyond the initial effort and now I feel much more solid in my journey. Thanks to you all. I appreciate being here with you.

Still no sign of the headaches, but I got home Friday night and since I felt like I was fully recovered from the cold decided it was time to rev it up on the workout front.  I had been taking it pretty easy all week, making my Move goal but not pushing for anything past that and it's still set moderately low.  So instead of listening to my book, which tends to allow me to walk longer but definitely paces me slower...I flipped over to my latest workout playlist and it just killed it.  I should probably save that particular random order, but it led me into seriously overdoing it.  That's something I rarely do on a Friday night because I know come the weekend I will be doing back to back longer sessions on the treadmill.  During the week, I let the steps and calories add up during the day, then hop on the treadmill to finish up what's left.  On the weekends though I try to make it the first thing I do in the morning and I push to get my Move goal completed before I even start in on the day.  That way I could flop on the couch and be a potato and still have checked the day off.  I rarely do that mind, I nearly always have errands or something else planned, but I don't have to worry about running around all day and THEN having to make up any remaining amount at the end of the day.  So a killer workout on Friday night, followed by a just as killer workout Saturday morning (still grooving away because at the time it felt good) led to me hobbling to bed last night.  OUCH!  Like in every single particle. 

I got up pretty limber though and knocked out my goal pretty quick this morning as well before heading off to the market.  Got laundry started, groceries put away, and a whole chicken doing a marinade in a Peruvian blend I found a recipe for so just letting that sit for a while longer.  I figure I will sit for a bit, tried napping in the sunbeam but couldn't quite fall asleep, then finish laundry while the chicken roasts and cools...pack my lunch...and call it a weekend. 

My new stylist worked out pretty well, I think she was a bit nervous about following up from my previous girl once she knew she had been recommended but she got really seriously close and I'm happy with the results.  My tradition with myself has always been to go shopping right after a hair appointment and buy something new to wear to work the next day.  Just sort of a way of boosting the "new me" feel even though it's the same style I always get and people don't always even notice I've had it cut.  LOL!  This whole year I've been really focused on refining my style, cleaning out my closet, and restocking it.  Our dress code changed again a few months ago and now that I no longer have to wear a jacket every day, I thought it would be nice to reinvent myself a little, especially with that 40th lurking up.  So this was my first foray out with that in mind.  Last weekend I took every stitch out of my closet and pared it down, set up a second closet in the basement for off-season things and stuff I wasn't sure about yet.  I have a couple other homework projects to work through in the book I'm reading, but I thought I was ready to take a stab at this.

Yeah.

So what I came home with was.....a rose gold metallic leather jacket and a pair of wildly floral embroidered jeans.

Needless to say, neither of those things are ever going to work as work-wear...and I couldn't be more pleased with either item.  Sigh.  It's official.  I will never grow up.  Even worse?  The jacket matches my cell phone.  I'm not going as far as to say I bought it because of that, but I was aware and didn't put it back.  It might be why I picked it up in the first place, then it was all...."oooooh it's soooo soft" and once on, to be frank, it's sexy as hell.  In a sort of soft, sweet, pink blush way that fools no one.  And short as I am, I've never in my life found jeans with embroidery that weren't also too long and where hemming would ruin the embellishment entirely but these were exactly the right length.

So that was my weekend.  New goal in life is to learn how to nap again though.  I think it's been too long since I felt like I had enough time in the day to just take a nap, and I don't like the me that thinks that is wasting time.  I mean for crying out loud...my initials are N.A.P....I more than anyone should be able to do this.  ;) 

P.S.  Totally agree with you @misslindy it feels like I'm turning a bit of a corner right now too after being disconnected for too long...but through it all, I never lost that thread of connection back here and I think it makes all the difference.  It would be fun to all do another month together, sometime, but I think the various updates trickling in even I wasn't personally doing a stretch helps keep me in touch with what I wanted to have and that was a more permanent change in my life.  Still working on it, but ever so glad to be working on it with you guys. 

Ugh. I joined a March group, and they moved to Facebook. You can guess what happened after that! "I ate one egg and half a tomato for breakfast. I was STARVING by lunch." Really? How odd... "I went to <name of restaurant> and had <name of non-compliant food> but I'm just going to continue on." Ok, but you're not really doing a Whole30 then, are you? I'm not at all surprised by their behavior, but I am surprised at my very visceral reaction to it!! So I bowed out.

Day 3. Headache isn't as bad as yesterday, so that's a plus. I tried the Sloppy Joes from the Well Fed Weeknights cookbook, threw in a bag of cole slaw mix, and it was FABULOUS. Will be making that many more times. I had it over a sweet potato last night, with some guac on top. There's 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon in the recipe, and I think that's what really boosts the flavor.

I've learned from all of you how this program takes continual planning and vigilance. I will be more mindful going forward of how to make this work for me for the long haul. Thanks for that!

3 hours ago, NancyW said:

Ugh. I joined a March group, and they moved to Facebook. You can guess what happened after that! "I ate one egg and half a tomato for breakfast. I was STARVING by lunch." Really? How odd... "I went to <name of restaurant> and had <name of non-compliant food> but I'm just going to continue on." Ok, but you're not really doing a Whole30 then, are you? I'm not at all surprised by their behavior, but I am surprised at my very visceral reaction to it!! So I bowed out.

I do this too!  Just this past weekend one of the bloggers I'm on a mailing list for sent a link to another blog who was posting about her W30 and I had to stop reading when she started talking about how to make chia pudding with fruit a breakfast and I don't even think that's non-compliant exactly just not really the heart of a template meal.

A bit ironic mind, because I'm no kind of angel when it comes to sticking precisely to template myself, it's the thing I struggle with the most doing W30 now.  But my first one I really tried to do all the things to actually experience it the way it should be, and now if I go light on fat for a meal I know I'm going to end up hungry and just accept that and try to do better planning next time.  It makes me craaaazy reading about people not even really trying to follow the rules and still claiming credit.  I can't say what it is either that makes me so aggravated by it since it's their loss not mine, but it makes me stop and seriously appreciate the moderators here who read that kind of stuff every day and still manage to be helpful and supportive with their responses!!!

I also think that forever after, when I've eaten a skimpy meal or skipped one, and find myself with a growling stomach I will hear Nancy in my head saying "Really?  How odd..." with that perfect inflection of polite incredulity and I will crack up laughing.  

Hi ladies,  just popping in to catch up, enjoyed reading your posts and updates. I just got back from 10 days in Portland, where I had an amazing meal at the most fabulous 100% Paleo restaurant, "The Cultured Caveman". It was so so SO delicious. I wanted to take a double order of everything on the menu home with me. Oh how I wish there was a restaurant like that in my town!! I was there for over an hour, and there was a line the entire time, in the pouring rain… on a weeknight! That is a good sign. I hope the restaurant is a smashing success, and they franchise all over the place. 

Blessings to each of you and good luck with your Whole30 and/or whatever personal program you are choosing to do…

I will check in again after my next doctors appointment, hoping to get some answers about my SIBO situation.

19 hours ago, Crimsann said:

I also think that forever after, when I've eaten a skimpy meal or skipped one, and find myself with a growling stomach I will hear Nancy in my head saying "Really?  How odd..." with that perfect inflection of polite incredulity and I will crack up laughing.  

**brushes off hands** Then my work here is done. :D

Ok, so I'm not having food dreams, but I am having wide-awake food moments! I could smell donuts in my car this morning on the way to work. Seriously SMELL them. I love donuts more than almost any other food. And then I saw it up ahead of me--a truck with the logo of the best bakery in southeastern Wisconsin!!! After that, we were talking about tamales, and I remembered SO clearly the first time I had my Guatemalan ex-boyfriend's authentic Guatemalan tamales. It was like I was tasting them again! Now there's been no shortage of good food during the first half of my 30, but I felt, for the briefest moment this morning, deprived. Chalked it up to my own version of food dreams, and got down to the business of accounts payable, but I'm still thinking about a donut...

I've been meaning to check in since this weekend...nothing earth shattering to share mind, just keeping on with the process.  I had my first cupcake challenge this week and passed that.  I did find it harder than I expected to resist the few that didn't make the cut to go into work, so new plan in place to make sure they all leave the house promptly.  

Meal plan is holding up pretty well for this week so far, even managed breakfast every day so far which is a pretty big deal for me.  The Pesto Meatballs turned out really good even with the sub to turkey, though I will have to make another batch of zoodles tonight to finish out the week.  I constantly underestimate how much those will shrink down in cooking.  No ideas yet for next week, hoping something strikes me out of the blue!

Workout streak will hit day 60 tomorrow, pants are feeling a tad loose already, food boredom hasn't yet settled in...but I have hit a bit of another kind of snag.  Somehow I've strained a muscle in my upper arm.  I don't even know for sure what I did, it almost has to have been during my workout but that night was all treadmill and I'm not one to be flailing around with exuberance or anything so why this was an arm injury baffles me.  I noticed it about an hour after working out though and it's still killing me today.  No bruising or obvious swelling, and I have full range of motion, but moving it in certain directions is painful.  I tried moving it around as much as I could stand yesterday, I guess thinking it was more of a cramp and that keeping it active would help work it out.  Now I'm not so sure that was the smartest thing to do, maybe babying it a bit more would have been in order and I will probably try a heating pad or something tonight as well.  My one pal suggested icing it, but me and cold do not go...the mere thought of that has me feeling like hypothermia has already set in so I'm really hoping that isn't the answer.  It won't prevent me from getting in my Move goal, I will step the pace back down some and make sure I'm not swinging my arms while walking for the next few days just to be sure I'm not aggravating it though.

Working on my plan for my birthday/vacation week in April.   I've found an art exhibit I want to go see, about 15 years ago I started a personal tradition of going to a new art museum every year on my birthday but let it lapse after about 8 years when it meant traveling further and I just didn't have the extra days.  I would like to pick that back up to some extent, even if I don't keep pushing for a new museum each time.  Kind of inspired by Vozelle here, I'm now looking around to see if I can find a Paleo restaurant near where I'm headed.  I'm not aware of anything like that locally, but as I'm headed to a larger city for that art trip...maybe there are some possibilities.  I won't be doing W30 next month, but that doesn't mean I couldn't explore some options or at the very least try some place that is close to Paleo while I'm out of town!

Oh boy. Slippery slope. Bad day. Several mishaps at work and home. Supper was blueberries with unsweetened coconut, and some cashews. All compliant, but VERY far from template. I will not let this get in my way. My breakfast and lunch are packed for tomorrow. That's what I'll have. That's all I'll have. 

Whew, I feel better...

Yup, we got this Nancy...I just made something that ended up like some kind of compliant blooming onion burger I think with that spicy mayo and some thick rings of grilled onion on top.  Not something I would want every night, but it got some fat/protein/veggie in even if none of it was green this round and should more than tide me over until morning.  I made up another batch of zoodles and packed up the remaining lunches for the week and some spare for the weekend. 

Now I'm curled up on the couch with my cute fuzzy wool kitty cat heating pad...have come to the self-diagnosed conclusion that the strain (possibly tear) is to the deltoid.  Trying to resist the urge to make the heating pad hotter and just settle for a nice long steady heat.  Hot shower felt amazing on it and loosened things up for a bit.  Will let this set for a couple hours and then maybe reheat once before I go to bed.  I also sort of forget sometimes in my dislike for taking any kind of pain killer that some of them are also targeting inflammation and that might be advantageous at the moment. 

Will try to head to bed early too and dream of warmer days!  Fairy garden class is this weekend...that's something to live for, lol! 

May need some help with meal plan for next week if anyone has any current faves to share.  Kind of thinking about some kind of roasted vegetable topped salad.  One of the food trucks that stops at our office weekly had a deal like that a few weeks ago, betting I could make a compliant version.  Or maybe a soup/salad combo of some kind. 

Quick update, after a full night of sleeping in a self-induced sauna scenario (and say THAT ten times fast) the arm is feeling much improved.  Still noticeable, but more tight and dull ache than actual pain and I have not even added another round of pain killers yet.  May need to do that thanks to the ever opportune timing of mother nature or the moon or the tides whoever/whatever is to blame for cramps.  I'm continuing the heat therapy today though so brought little kitty with me to work today.

On the other hand, I did apparently alarm a few random people on the elevator...I suppose it's not precisely normal to ride on elevators with a stuffed cat tossed over your shoulder and to absently stroke it from time to time.  (I was actually just making sure it didn't slide off and that it was centered as much as possible on the problem area...but I can see why that might not have been obvious to strangers.)

The next time I left the office I tossed my jacket on over it thinking that would be more subtle.  Imagine my face when I caught a glimpse in the mirror and realized that the extra bulk, which I hadn't fully factored in, gives me the approximate silhouette of the Hunchback of Notre Dame. 

Hello

Have been MiA for a while, did something to my foot that is not nice and am limping around so am not very pleasant lately. I would think if I damaged it I could remember it, but nothing in the memory banks about injury.  Just woke up unable to put weight on it. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you are doing well, Nancy. Love the ' Really, how odd' will take that one with me too. I am still laughing.  I have been fighting a few chocolate chip cookies and muffins, lately, not that I want them but I can almost taste them. Thank goodness I have made batches ahead so am not baking them this week. 

I wonder what that sugar thing is when I have not had any for so long and not even thought about it, then suddenly it's like they are together singing my name like I am the only one in the world that they love and need to be part of my system!!! They didn't win so no problem, just think it is very weird.

Have a good weekend everyone.

I think (fingers crossed) that I may be about ready to join the land of the living again.  Rumors of going back to a 48 hour work week instead of the current "ALL THE HOURS" schedule we're on and I think I've finally got the last of the sinus issue beat. (More crossed fingers). Great going through everyone's posts and catching up. Feels like a visit home. :)

I laughed reading the description of the Facebook W30 group.  I didn't stay long with the one I tried either.  I get so aggravated when people start talking about a "modified" W30 or how they're so deprived and starving. Really??  I am definitely stealing Nancy's "How odd" to go with that! :D

On 3/16/2017 at 0:42 PM, misslindy said:

I wonder what that sugar thing is when I have not had any for so long and not even thought about it, then suddenly it's like they are together singing my name like I am the only one in the world that they love and need to be part of my system!!! They didn't win so no problem, just think it is very weird.

Right!? It is like a drug. I really really REALLY wish it wasn't, but it IS. I made a Paleo dessert at home, sweetened with honey. Not a good idea… set off sugar cravings like crazy. I am now finding my way back to center after that experiment. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to live my life forever without any dessert or sweet treat EVER, but the drug-like affect is pretty clear. And it doesn't seem to matter how much time has gone by since the last sweet intake... even after all those 6+ months without it, there was an immediate crack-cocaine-must-have-more effect.  Even my home-made healthy treat made with honey, from innocent little bees in nature, no less!  *sigh* 

Or maybe it's the microbes I'm still struggling with that make sugar cravings worse. Met with my functional medicine doc, now doing a new 6-week regimen to try to get rid of the SIBO...  apparently I have the more difficult kind to treat; the methane-dominant bacteria (as opposed to hydrogen-dominant). *sigh*

Sorry to hear about your foot injury, @misslindy... get better soon!

Blessings to all of you!

5 hours ago, vozelle said:

Right!? It is like a drug. I really really REALLY wish it wasn't, but it IS. I made a Paleo dessert at home, sweetened with honey. Not a good idea… set off sugar cravings like crazy. I am now finding my way back to center after that experiment. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to live my life forever without any dessert or sweet treat EVER, but the drug-like affect is pretty clear. And it doesn't seem to matter how much time has gone by since the last sweet intake... even after all those 6+ months without it, there was an immediate crack-cocaine-must-have-more effect.  Even my home-made healthy treat made with honey, from innocent little bees in nature, no less!  *sigh* 

Or maybe it's the microbes I'm still struggling with that make sugar cravings worse. Met with my functional medicine doc, now doing a new 6-week regimen to try to get rid of the SIBO...  apparently I have the more difficult kind to treat; the methane-dominant bacteria (as opposed to hydrogen-dominant). *sigh*

Sorry to hear about your foot injury, @misslindy... get better soon!

Blessings to all of you!

it is like a drug and the problem was I didn't even have anything sweet to stimulate the craving--weird. Never mind I made up for it the other day and won't even tell you what I had, just being defiant and taking it out on myself. How stupid.  As Nancy would say: "Really? How odd." So I had laugh and moved on.

Foot much better and have no idea what was wrong or what fixed it--thanks for your concern.

Archived