Tigers and Turtles - 2016

Crimsann

I try to make fries and I get pasta, I try to make pasta and I get carrot sticks. 

This just tickled my funny bone! Maybe I'm tired from having been awake since 3am, or maybe I'm a bit wacky because I'm off the rest of the week, but I read that and laughed out loud. 

I'm picking my folks up from the airport tomorrow right in the middle of the day, so took the whole day off. And if I'm off on Thursday, why go in on Friday?? So my daughter is coming over to help me get rid of some of my clothes. I keep going through them and keeping them all.  :wacko: Not productive! 

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crimsann that ^^^ made me laugh too.  I've had so many epic failures with recipes in the last couple of years that lately meals have been very basic and simple.  I'm kind of getting in the mood to do some experimenting but haven't taken any action yet.  Hope the car drama didn't turn out too bad.

Nancy - I'm jealous of your Friday off.   I'm off tomorrow too to attend an MD appt. with my husband but have to work on Friday.  I always feel a great sense of accomplishment and calm when I have cleaned out a closet or whatever and gotten rid of stuff - hopefully you will too.

Well I got an answer on the car, but I sure didn't like it.  It ran along these lines...

"We were trying to save you some money, so we used a cheaper brake pad than what originally came with the car.  And, uh, those do sometimes make noises.  Nothing wrong with them though!"

I can't tell you how many things I found wrong with that statement.  Starting with, who wants to take bets as to who actually "saved" money when they opted for the cheaper product.  Call me a cynic, but I doubt that was really passed on to me in any meaningful way and by his own estimate it was about $20.  Since I was in to the tune of around $700, the words "drops" and "buckets" come to mind.  Then, I know you don't all know me so very well as this, but there is ZERO chance I would have opted for anything other than the original parts, especially when it comes to brakes.  Between driving at night, driving in a rural area, driving in the snow....nothing about my lifestyle says skimp on something like brakes.  And finally, maybe I'm just fussy, but to me MAKING A NOISE is SOMETHING WRONG. 

He also admitted that this is the second instance of this he has seen in two days, so he assured me they would file a report and if enough people complained, they would pull the product and issue a new design next time.

This is so completely unhelpful to me right now.  I kind of just had to stare.  He isn't even suggesting a possible recall, he is saying some future version of this product might be better. 

OH, and if that weren't enough, he also trots out the reassurance that the LAST version was so bad they often squeaked before they even got the car out of the bay after installing them. 

I mean, the only thing you can say for this guy is....he was probably being honest.  To sort of a fault.  Right?!?!? 

So new plan. I'm going off Whole30 effective immediately, eating nothing but cinnamon rolls and butterscotch lattes and baguettes (will come back to that in a sec) for all of March and then in April I'm going back on.  I will wait until, oh, about Day 4...and then I'm taking my car back in to have the brakes replaced.  ::evil grin::

Okay, totally kidding, but let me tell you about what happened next.  I left the dealership and headed to Panera because my office is having another stupid non-compliant and inconvenient carry-in tomorrow and someone sent an email out asking if anyone could please bring bread.  Pffft.  Well, to be honest, I could have done this one if  had the time and/or inclination to lug in a crock-pot and end up with unwanted leftovers.  The theme is soup and that one really would have been pretty simple, but between the goings on today and my work load and the fact that I'm teaching half a day tomorrow AND it might snow...I just wasn't even going to bother.  But bread, that I can pick up and I will show for a few minutes and eat my chicken salad in their company.  I did reply back though that someone is taking the leftovers if there are any.  Otherwise it's just cruel.

So it's drizzly rain today, drive-thru is a zillion cars long, so I park and go in.  I don't really want to ogle the pastry case or spend too much time thinking about the menu so I just ask the kid, looked like he was 12, if they had any French bread.  He looks at me all seriously and says, well we have some baguettes.  I say, sure, fine one of those and some sourdough.  He keeps looking at me.  "Do you know what a baguette is?"

Yeah, go back, read that over again.  He asked me....do I know what a baguette is. 

I die.

I mean, does this mean I am now so waifish I look like I've possibly never met a baguette?!  No, no honestly, I have no clue what that question was even about.  I can't even hazard a guess. 

I reassured him that I was, in fact, familiar with the concept and was amenable to taking one even if it is a slightly funny shape.  But I am still sort of shaking my head.

The kicker?  He goes off and comes back with a bag of bread....that is still freaking hot. 

Never, ever, ever, have I gone in to Panera and got bread so fresh it's still hot.  I mean their stuff is fine, but that's just not my luck to hit the right time or whatever.  So here I am, steaming myself still over the car issue and I'm headed back into the rain to drive to work along side a still warm loaf of bread which I can't even inhale too deeply near. 

How can the world be so cruel??? 

Ah well, truth is, I wasn't even a little tempted to sneak a pinch off it.  Not that I wouldn't have enjoyed it, but mentally it would have been a choice to do it, not a craving I couldn't control.  Just like I passed up the latte I'm sure I deserved too.  Part of me is kind of sad I had to make that choice, but it wasn't even hard to do so...and that's pretty crazy ladies. 

I'm sure I've taken up more than my share of inches here, but I do want to circle back around to closet cleaning in another post...maybe not tomorrow cause crazy day (unless we bet buried in snow and I can play hooky) but don't let me forget!

Why did the car guy not immediately replace your noisy brake pads with the ones that were originally installed??? Why does this kind of thing always have to be so damn difficult? I think it would be perfectly acceptable to let him have it "KILL ALL THE THINGS" style! Unfortunately, that puts you in the unenviable position of feeding yourself really, really good (tasting) bad (for you) food for a month... 

Speaking of decluttering and closet cleaning, I live in a 480 sq. foot apartment, and have a tendency to hang on to clothes I love that are too small. I figure I might fit into them someday, so I keep them. That's why I enlisted my daughter's help. I need a more objective opinion than, "But I LOVE that, and it might fit someday!"  :P Even if it does fit someday, and I do love it, it'll be so hopelessly out of style that I shouldn't be seen in public wearing it...

Crimsann - I completely sympathize with you and I agree with Nancy that they should replace the crap they put on there.  Maybe you could just imagine how you would feel if you ATE ALL THE THINGS to get in a KILL ALL THINGS frame of mind and take care of it :lol: Panera - people never cease to amaze me.

Nancy - maybe you should go out and run some errands and just let your daughter weed out stuff?  Don't know if that would be less stressful or not!

Crimsann, your baguette story is just the BEST...oh, well, making a weak second to the brakes story...glad you stood up for yourself, but I do hope you find someone who decides to END this being your problem. I DREAM of having a good friend who is a really superb mechanic....and he could be kind and a little bit sexy too, just as a bonus.

I also appreciate your bread in the car in the rain story because I,ve navigated the last few rainy days by making the OTHER decision....taking in things that lead to sweet, that ARE sweet, and that form the foundation of this thinking on my way home: "well, I have already BLOWN today, so why not.....(fill in the blanks)"......this is the road to ruin. Curious to me that abstinence come in segments called DAYS, rather than meals, or hours....so when I go off the rails, I throw out the baby with the bath water. So, in that light, I appreciate your bread story of resistance, even though you had more than enough frustration quotient for that day to munch down the entire loaf. I am amused by my own patterns here...and how strong they are.

One thought that has entertained me over the past several days of my wrestling with coffee: do you think we crave warm milk because of early experiences as infants?? Is there something primal about that? A good friend of mine is working with the Briight Line Eating Program, in which they advise to stay away from milk...and actually coffee too...but milk because it tends to lead to sugar cravings...sure seems to for me.

Anyway, Nancy, as our weather turns here, I am looking at last season's Marie Kondoization of my closet and realize I did a very halfway effort, being nowhere near discriminating enough to get rid of things. I confess that I struggle a bit with how to store and manage clothes for multiple seasons, but it is true that, whatever the season, I opt to wear the same five or six outfits every week.....I guess those are the ones, in Kondo's lexicon, that "spark joy". As for the multiple sizes challenge...get rid of those smaller clothes. When you get back to that size, you will deserve some great new clothes and it will be a way to celebrate to go buy them!!

Merg, I can honestly say I've never craved warm milk...unless it was sweetened with a ton of hot chocolate mix and marshmallows.  :P  I do love my coffee with cream or coconut milk though!

My experiment with mixing Paleo/W30 with Weight Watchers has begun. Being a number nerd (I have a t-shirt that says "Nerd? We prefer the term Intellectual Badass!") I'm enjoying the process, and I think it will help me get a handle on post-W30 eating. I will eventually switch to the no-count option, which includes most of my favorite W30 ingredients as no-count foods, and use the points to track my "extras." This is the part I need the most! I'm happy to say that even with all the off-roading I've been doing, some of the good habits have stuck, and I've maintained about half of the initial loss. That makes me very hopeful! 

My clearing-out effort was productive and fun. My daughter is such a good resource when it comes to clothes. And she's taught me well! There were a few things that I was tired of because I've worn them too often, and she saved them from the Goodwill pile to take home for herself! Today, I start on the kitchen. I think I have about 40 dish towels. This is pretty amusing, because I hardly ever dry a dish! If they don't go in the dishwasher, they dry on a mat on the counter. So why I collected that many, I'll never know. But at least 3/4 of them are going to be gone! I think some of them actually date back to my 1980 wedding... Hoard much???  :P  :lol: No joy-sparking going on there...

I hope everyone else is doing well in their efforts. Enjoy your Sunday!

Good to see this, I was just wondering how that was going Nancy!

So I hinted earlier in the week that I had something to post regarding closet cleaning...this is something I've been looking into the last couple weeks.  The first thing I read up on was making a capsule wardrobe.  This is a pretty good example of what I think that is supposed to be:  http://www.jodigoldman.co.uk/tips-videos/building-a-capsule-wardrobe/ though there is a lot of debate around what magic number a true capsule wardrobe would contain and whether it's meant to be year-round or seasonal.  I'm pretty sure those in the year-round camp don't deal with quite the temperature changes that I deal with so whatever I ultimately decide to do, it's going to need to be at least partially seasonal. 

The next thing I sort of stumbled on was Stitch Fix https://www.stitchfix.com/ which I also found compelling for sort of the opposite reasons. 

I'm sort of scattered explaining this I guess, but I'm guessing some of you are in a similar position, particularly if you have been doing this for awhile.  Since this time last year, I've dropped 3-4 sizes.  I also had a complete upheaval in the dress code at work.  For a couple of years they tried this horrifying idea where we all wore matching polo shirts and black/khaki pants.  I can't tell you how much my soul shriveled.  LOL!  But in April of last year they went back to a slightly more sane program that unfortunately leaned a bit too far into the professional category to truly suit me.  Everything has to have a layer, I can't wear just a nice sweater...it has to either have a jacket over it or be a cardigan with a layer under it.  Shoes are the worst.  We can have open toe, or open back, but the instep has to be covered. This rules out far more dress shoes than you can possibly imagine until you try and shop by that guideline.  Not to mention, the style last year was heavy into those shoes that look like a basic pump from the outside, but then have the inside scooped out.  In other words, the ONLY part of the foot that wasn't covered was...the instep.  But I often walked right up to those shoes from the wrong side and had to shriek when I realized I had been played once again. 

So combine all of these things...and as spring starts to sort of creep nearer...I really need to do some shopping and closet cleaning.  All of the jackets I bought last April are swimming on me, less of an issue when I could wear a sweater under them, but it's only getting worse.  Same with the pants, some of which I could now pull on without even unzipping.  Mostly happy problems to have, but I'm less confident about shopping for my new size.  Especially since with my time constraints, I often mail order things.  And I still find myself putting a large in the cart when I know I rarely wear anything bigger than a medium anymore. 

I also know, if I go out shopping, I tend to buy a few things here and there...anything I like that is on sale and some things that aren't...but I usually wind up with pretty random pieces that then don't really go with anything else.  So before I get all ruthless with the closet, I really need to have a more defined plan and I kind of want to push the boundaries a bit with what I buy but without ending up with nothing to wear.  Given too much direction, I will also end up with nothing but black and white and stripes.  LOL!  Not a bad thing, but even I will burn out on that in short order.

One of the things I really liked about Stitch Fix was the idea that you could put together a Pinterest board that your stylist would use as a way to visualize your style and taste and guide the selections they send you.  I also really like the idea at least of someone outside my head taking a look and then making some suggestions on how to broaden that.  It seems relatively risk free for what all is involved.  The most you would be out would be $20.00 if you hated everything, or didn't want to spend as much as they sent. 

Oh, also, I can't take my hair another week.  I was going to try to do a "Nancy" and get a fresh cut and style at the end of March but it's just not going to happen.  I already made the appointment for next weekend, would have been today if I could have gotten it.  So I thought I might try to get my board done, get registered, and time the first delivery to hit at the end of March just in time to possibly have a new look for April.  Even if it just turns out I like one or two things, or get some fresh ideas from what they picture for me, seems like it would be both fun and worth it. 

And that gives me a couple more weeks to pare down what I have now.  It's just we are still in that tricky season where the temps bounce between 20 and 60 making you pretty much need everything in your closet at a moments notice! 

If you have any other tips or resources on this topic, would love to hear them.  I think even just doing the Pinterest board is really helping me see how the things I'm looking at getting do/do not work together and what I might want to add to that. 

For a couple of years they tried this horrifying idea where we all wore matching polo shirts and black/khaki pants.  I can't tell you how much my soul shriveled.  LOL!  

OMG, I'd LOVE to wear that every day! I wear the same wardrobe year round, because I'm always warmer than everyone else, and rarely wear long sleeves. That makes things pretty boring. So polos and khakis/"blackies" would be just fine with me. I do have a couple of Girl Scout polos that I wear regularly. I wish they'd get them in more colors cuz I'd wear them every day! I do love the idea of a capsule wardrobe though, even though that's an awful lot of thinking for someone who is perfectly happy in jeans, boots, and a t-shirt. Sorry, Crimsann, but any tips on this topic you do NOT want to get from me! LOL

Well, to be honest...it was really more the "matching everyone I saw" and the complete inability to be myself that I truly hated.  I rarely ever wear polo shirts anyway, but if it had been my idea to wear them...well, even then it wouldn't have been so every day.  And did I mention they were all the same color?!  I refused to even call it a "uniform", I called it the clone costume.    :P   Oh, and it was the exact same color that the employees at a local grocery store wore so there were all sorts of mix-ups when staff went to buy groceries on the way home and were accosted by other customers.  This never happened to me, but then I made a very pointed point of removing the polo shirt before I even left the parking lot each and every single day.  When I get my back up about something...

So now, that outfit is also still allowed for those who want the comfy thing...or it's a suit basically.  But somehow, everything in between is inappropriate?!?!  Makes no sense to me. 

One thought that has entertained me over the past several days of my wrestling with coffee: do you think we crave warm milk because of early experiences as infants?? Is there something primal about that? A good friend of mine is working with the Briight Line Eating Program, in which they advise to stay away from milk...and actually coffee too...but milk because it tends to lead to sugar cravings...sure seems to for me.

Is this a night time craving?

Warm milk is known to improve sleep - but it has to be cow's milk, and it has to have been milked from the cows before dawn - if it ticks those boxes it will be high in melatonin which is why it works so well. We actually have a company here that markets their milk as a sleep enhancer - they call it lullaby milk.

As for it leading to sugar cravings it is the lactose in milk that causes that.....

Is this a night time craving?

Warm milk is known to improve sleep - but it has to be cow's milk, and it has to have been milked from the cows before dawn - if it ticks those boxes it will be high in melatonin which is why it works so well. We actually have a company here that markets their milk as a sleep enhancer - they call it lullaby milk.

As for it leading to sugar cravings it is the lactose in milk that causes that.....

It ruins baby teeth, falling asleep with the bottle.  Ayup.  Lactose.

It ruins baby teeth, falling asleep with the bottle.  Ayup.  Lactose.

Yup.

When my youngest son was first diagnosed with all of his food allergies one of the first things his dietician said to me was '...well, at least he'll not have any issues with his bedtime bottle rotting his teeth...' 

Yup.

When my youngest son was first diagnosed with all of his food allergies one of the first things his dietician said to me was '...well, at least he'll not have any issues with his bedtime bottle rotting his teeth...' 

Maw let me drink a "Choco" milk bottle until I was 4.  The kids would tease me.  I used to roll it up in my dress...start at the bottom hem and roll that bottle up and put in my mouth.  What a baby.   A lorra lorra dentist visits.  Starting at the age of 5. Choco milk.   No wonder I'm still here...it's taken all my adult life to recover from childhood.  :D  :P  :D 

Hello

Haven't been here for awhile. Well, I have been here but not posting, just reading. I am feeling very discouraged so having a few laughs at the antics Crimsann's car has been getting up to as well as the baguette and work wear has been very refreshing. Honestly I can't imagine where you work that they mandate such extremes in clothing for the staff. 

Glad the closets are getting cleaned out--anyone want to come and do mine? I think it is such a good idea but haven't the nerve to do it. Mind you I am at a bit of a disadvantage in that when I fill bags to go to the recycle or goodwill, my husband goes through them and takes out 3/4 of what I have put in. Somehow it looses the effect of clearing when that happens.

I did some baking the other day and over estimated the amount needed so had to keep changing to bigger and bigger bowls until I was finally using a large canning pot. When the flour settled the kitchen was a mess and so was I. My quick little bake took most of the day and all night to clean up--slight exaggeration but you get the idea. And I don't even eat any of the finished product!

I keep hoping that one of these days I am going to wake up and all the weight I have been carrying has melted off in my sleep. Doesn't seem to be happening any other way. I wonder how long it will take to kick in. I do have other improvements and I suppose it is being shallow wanting it all immediately but there you go, that's just the kind of girl I am! Sixty days on AIP today and I haven't lost an inch. Mind you that extreme hunger has faded so perhaps that is a good sign.

Enough complaining.

Enjoy your week everyone. Summers on its way to you and cooler weather is coming to us--yay!!!

I keep hoping that one of these days I am going to wake up and all the weight I have been carrying has melted off in my sleep. Doesn't seem to be happening any other way. I wonder how long it will take to kick in. I do have other improvements and I suppose it is being shallow wanting it all immediately but there you go, that's just the kind of girl I am! Sixty days on AIP today and I haven't lost an inch. Mind you that extreme hunger has faded so perhaps that is a good sign.

I feel the same way about the extra weight melting off in my sleep - what a great idea!  You deserve a big congratulations for 60 days AIP.  Besides less hunger have you noticed other changes?  I read somewhere that you have to be careful if you are eating on the high-end of carbs and high fat because the increased insulin from the carbs is going to encourage fat storage.  But if you are eating lower carbs then you are gong to be burning more fat - seems to make sense. I have been eating the last few days following my own rules for now - no gluten or dairy, minimal corn, rice, legumes and sugar.  Going ok except last couple of days have been getting hungry between meals - this didn't happen at all on W30 so I know I have to stay closer to the template - less starchy carbs and more veggies I think.  I think the biggest foul-up was that over the weekend I made gluten free bread for the first time in several months.  Yum.  Having missed really good bread I have overdone it at the expense of more nutritious food :wacko:   Need to get back on board!

Nancy - wondering if you have started the WW/W30 plan?  I decided to start tracking calories and carbs/fat/protein - I thought that might give me a better idea of what I'm taking in but I have to say that after only 2 days of this I'm getting irritated by it.  I think I'm going to switch to just tracking carbs.  Kind of like on WW where you have many "free" veggies/fruits and then only have to account for the other foods.

Hope y'all are having a good week.

Yeah, sign me up for the "wake up one morning at your ideal weight" club! 

misslindy, I hope things turn around for you! I second the congrats for sticking to AIP. I totally understand wanting the weight all off immediately, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen. Not for lack of trying though--I keep hoping!!

bpaitsel, I'm a big fan of tracking WW style. It's so easy! And the new plan is very paleo-friendly. I spent $73 at the grocery store mostly on lean meat and produce, and I'm good for days! (Actually, the meat will last me for a couple weeks...) Aside from tonight's unwise dinner choice, it's going well. 

I feel the same way about the extra weight melting off in my sleep - what a great idea!  You deserve a big congratulations for 60 days AIP.  Besides less hunger have you noticed other changes?  I read somewhere that you have to be careful if you are eating on the high-end of carbs and high fat because the increased insulin from the carbs is going to encourage fat storage.  But if you are eating lower carbs then you are gong to be burning more fat - seems to make sense. I have been eating the last few days following my own rules for now - no gluten or dairy, minimal corn, rice, legumes and sugar.  Going ok except last couple of days have been getting hungry between meals - this didn't happen at all on W30 so I know I have to stay closer to the template - less starchy carbs and more veggies I think.  I think the biggest foul-up was that over the weekend I made gluten free bread for the first time in several months.  Yum.  Having missed really good bread I have overdone it at the expense of more nutritious food :wacko:   Need to get back on board!

Nancy - wondering if you have started the WW/W30 plan?  I decided to start tracking calories and carbs/fat/protein - I thought that might give me a better idea of what I'm taking in but I have to say that after only 2 days of this I'm getting irritated by it.  I think I'm going to switch to just tracking carbs.  Kind of like on WW where you have many "free" veggies/fruits and then only have to account for the other foods.

Hope y'all are having a good week.

Hi,

thanks for your comments. I am eating more low carb veg but have kumara in the evening--that's what is recommended for AIP but I am not by any means exceeding high density carbs, mostly having raw salads and broccoli/cauli/carrots occasionally/ lots of raw cabbage. May have to shake it up a bit. I have backed off the fruit hugely but don't know that that makes a difference. I was only having either a pear or nectarine a day, sometimes blueberries so not major sugar fruits either. It's a mystery.

Yeah, sign me up for the "wake up one morning at your ideal weight" club! 

misslindy, I hope things turn around for you! I second the congrats for sticking to AIP. I totally understand wanting the weight all off immediately, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen. Not for lack of trying though--I keep hoping!!

bpaitsel, I'm a big fan of tracking WW style. It's so easy! And the new plan is very paleo-friendly. I spent $73 at the grocery store mostly on lean meat and produce, and I'm good for days! (Actually, the meat will last me for a couple weeks...) Aside from tonight's unwise dinner choice, it's going well. 

I'll start the club and let you know if it is successful then you can join! :)

Thinking I'm almost half coming down with something, probably the sort of thing that never really develops into anything...that's my usual scenario...and I blame it entirely on these lunatic co-workers who keep turning the air conditioning on when it's 30' outside.  In combination with the phase of the moon as it relates to my temper and I've been plodding through this week. 

Hallelujah for my hair appointment this weekend...that should be a much needed pick-me-up. 

Question for the group though...spices for fajita's?  I've chopped up a ton of peppers/zucchini/onion and I've got shrimp, I've been doing a quick sautee in olive oil with cumin and chili and salt but it's missing something.  I actually forgot the salt the first night, still not used to adding that as much as I should now that I'm eating not packaged foods...and that helped a bit, but what else?  We had an old bottle of fajita seasoning which I should just toss anyway because it's full of non-compliant stuff like cornstarch and soy, but other than garlic I couldn't decipher anything different and I did put in a bit of fresh garlic last night. 

I love this really lean meat for a change after all the dense meat of winter and it's a plateful of veggies when you get down to it, but the flavor needs a boost of something and I'm coming up blank.  Maybe it's just the sour cream I'm missing and no help for that I guess but still I often eat half the plate of veggies and skip doing anything with the shells and toppings so I should be fine with just this. 

Hot sauce, that's a thought...might help clear out these sinuses too!  Still feeling congested, though other than that and maybe 20 or sneezes...I've not been able to muster up enough misery to act like a total baby about it.  Yet.  I may not let the lack of overt symptoms stand in my way this weekend though.

Hot sauce and perm solution fumes, if that combo doesn't burn through the rest of this stuffiness....hoot!

Maybe I will quit trying to cudgel my brain into coming up with a meal plan for next week and just go shopping on Sunday and play it by eye.  For sure nothing sounds good right now and I can't smell anything.  I think I'm actually getting to the point where shopping without a list isn't going to be a deal-breaker.  I have just enough go-to standby's that I can fill my cart and not have to overthink things.  It might mean being really basic, and it might mean repeating something I've done relatively recently...but that's exactly what I was sort of hoping to get to, no-brainer compliance. 

If I didn't feel slightly crumby, I would be slighly elated by this. 

Crimsann, it might be nice to let your eyes do the shopping for a change. Maybe seeing something will spark a desire for something you hadn't thought of, leading to something you can eat even as you are drowning in goo! From there comes a longer list of standbys, and maybe some compliant comfort foods you hadn't thought of!

I've never really gotten into the meal plan thing. I'd pick a couple of recipes (old, new, or "made up"), get those ingredients, and then have stuff for salads to have with chicken. It helps that I'm ok with eating the same thing over and over... I just made another huge pan of shepherd's pie with mashed sweet potatoes/cauliflower topping. I'll be interested to see how that turns out. I tweak the recipe almost every time I make it, and the last one was the best so far. Huge pan = 3 weeks of breakfasts for workdays. My breakfasts are a source of amusement at work. They assume that the yummy smells at around 7:30-8am are me. 

My first week of WW/paleo was great until a couple of days ago, although I still lost two pounds. I wandered into dangerous territory for a couple of days, but all the cooking I did yesterday has brought me back. I do have to say that I'm less careful about added fat than WW would like me to be. After two W30s, I can't go back to being as fat-phobic as they are. I know that the fat is a big part of what keeps the hunger at bay. And I don't want to get back into the snacking thing either. Those are two of the things that I really like about W30/paleo! So the experiment continues. The math geek in me likes playing with food in terms of points, and the W30'er steers the food choices (until I go off-road and the disordered brain takes over...  :blink: ). Still some work to be done, but I really believe the combination is going to be a good long term solution for me. 

Sun is shining today--that makes me  :lol:

Hello

I have been wallowing in the 'depths of despair' and fell into the pit, ate very non-compliant things for four days, not huge amounts but still not on programme. I have sorted myself out and am back on track the past two days but honestly I am so discouraged and not sure where to go next.  This is where faith comes in I guess, keep doing the right stuff and it'll work.

I haven't ever done meal planning either but do make my breakfasts and freeze them. I am wondering about the recipe for your breakfast shepherd's pie, Nancy. Can you tell me what it is or where to find it? It sounds like a good change for me even if I have it for M3.

I am eating a lot of offal but now have decided to figure out how to grind it and mix it with my pork mince. Cutting it into chunks and mixing it doesn't work too well and I am getting a bit tired of that process.

Winter is showing up--we either have blistering hot sun or temperatures plummeting to the ground. The sea is high tide and choppy today, just the way I like it but the wind is so cold I am too chicken to go in!

Nancy, your solution with your points system and W30 ingredients sounds like a brilliant solution for you--glad to hear you are sorting it out so well. 

Crimsann, shopping by eye is an interesting way to go. Probably could come up with some unusual results.

Glad I stopped in, I do feel better chatting with you all. L ;)

Hi

Nancy - congrats on the weight loss.  WW is definitely fat phobic but sounds like you are keeping yourself on track.  I'm sort-of counting carbs but basically if I stick with real food I stay pretty low-carb naturally.  It's the junk that sends me over the edge :ph34r:

Miss Lindy - glad you are back on track.  You say you are discouraged and not sure what to do next.  Have you seen improvements being on AIP?  I'm not sure how long you have been compliant but maybe you have maxed it out.  For myself, when I first went gluten free I could vividly remember the symptoms that were better.  Recently, after 1/2 years GF I (stupidly) reintro-d gluten.  Because I didn't have an immediate return of  symptoms I started thinking "maybe it's ok" so I had it once a week 3 weeks in a row - as they say "third time is the charm" - had return of some symptoms.  I realized I needed to think about all the symptoms I no longer have - not just what did or did not show up immediately.  I hope this will help you to realize that maybe you have made more progress than you think.

Crimsann - I like to meal plan too just because I like to not have to think about what's for dinner all day long!  I have had some really good thrown together meals though when I wasn't prepared.  Are you on W30 this month?  I'm going to start W-something tomorrow since last night I had an awful reaction to something with a raging itchy rash, headache and fatigue today.  

I know I have reactions to gluten and some dairy - the only thing I had yesterday that I am unsure about is some milk chocolate that had hazelnut paste in it.  I have had milk chocolate some lately but haven't eaten any hazlenuts.  Then again don't know if it was a latent reaction to the gluten I had several days ago.  Need to get to the point where feel W30 good again and do some more testing.

Well, gearing up for a busy week - everyone have a good one!

Archived