Tigers and Turtles - 2016

Crimsann

Crimsann - way to go on the 15 pounds.  I think that IS significant for 3 months.

Day 1 of April W30  done.  No major problems except that I haven't grocery shopped yet (usually do that on Thursdays) but I think I am stocked up enough for a couple of days.  Will be away from home most of the day tomorrow and doing a lot of physical work outside so will need to pack lots of compliant food. Haven't been to gym since Tuesday but had about 3 hours of hard outside work on Thursday and will have several hours tomorrow so figure that is more functional anyway.  Ready for day 2.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 2 done.   I even felt like I was less bloated this morning after just one day.  Was challenged since haven't had time to grocery shop yet.  But I have basically cleaned out the fridge and used what was available for lunch and dinner today.  If I had already shopped I probably would have wasted some leftovers so it's a bonus.  Have stayed compliant today although not on template.  Had about 4 hours of strenuous activity today and not quite recovered yet but will be by tomorrow I'm sure.  Hope everyone is having a good weekend :)

Good morning! I think I finally have a plan. After lots of indulging over the last three days (well, three days PLUS two months...), I'm ready to get back to it. My own personal compliance for the remainder of this month looks like this: shopping cart W30 compliance for sugar and grains. Dairy is ok, because I don't use much. I'll be going back to coconut milk in my coffee for now, so that really only means a bit of cheese, and using butter that's not clarified (although I might clarify it anyway because it's easy to do). I don't have much going out planned except maybe to a steak place, which is easy. Sugar and grains will not be allowed even when I'm out. Those are too big a problem for me under all circumstances! Alcohol is ok only when I'm out, not at home--but since I rarely drink at home, that's not much of an issue.

As for things on the cooking front, I ordered an Instant Pot. I have an electronic pressure cooker that I never use, so I'm giving that to my daughter. And I can get rid of a crock pot or two, leaving valuable real estate in my small kitchen open for new things! I've read lots about the IP, and am looking forward to trying it. First up, cooking a boat-load of chicken breasts to have in the freezer for salads. I will be making some mason jar salads for lunches this week. And I will be researching recipes for the new IP to do some cooking. A new gadget always makes it easier to start on a plan! And since it has a yogurt feature, I will be trying some coconut yogurt, which will give me a bunch more possibilities for meals and maybe some dressings/sauces.

Crimsann, reading about your long-range plan makes me laugh at my own "fly-by-the-seat-of-my-too-tight-pants" method. I like the idea of a "bonus" W30 in September! I have never been able to do the planning thing to that extent. I'm lucky to do a day at a time!!!

bpaitsel, sounds like you're off to a good start! I think one advantage to having done this before is that if you are not as stocked up as you should be, you can cobble meals together, and be aware of the effects any off-template meals might have--no surprises! 

I'm making shepherd's pie today. I like the lower carb effect of using half cauliflower and half sweet potato. And the flavor is great too. Then I'll be putting my salads together, and making a bunch of chicken if my IP gets here early enough. I live close enough to the Kenosha WI Amazon facility that they deliver in their little Amazon van. And when I ordered the Paleo Perfected cookbook late on Wednesday night, it was delivered on Thursday! Off to make another cup of coffee, and get started on my day.

Yay Nancy - your plan sounds great.  You have to let us know how you like the Instant Pot.  I have thought about getting one but wasn't sure it would be worth it.  Same thing with a spiralizer.  I don't like to have a lot of gadgets around but if they are worth it that's another thing.  I have had some very strange combos of food for a couple of days but - it worked.

Had a couple of challenges today watching my husband eat some gluten free treats (won't specify in order to avoid tempting someone else) as well as have a little wine at dinner.  I was able to say that it didn't bother me - and was mostly truthful!  When I first went gluten free I had a couple of complete melt-downs when he would have something I couldn't have - and at that time I still wanted it.  Now it really isn't as much of an issue - I didn't think I would ever get to this point.  I figure if I can get there with gluten then I can get there with any other food if I have too.

I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying reading Eat Fat, Get Thin.  So far the basic message seems to be that eating healthy fats - including saturated fat - is fine as long as not eating standard american diet of carbs and sweets.  Also, have learned that when the liver is inundated with these carbs it manufactures the types of fat that is found in bloodstream that is detrimental - go figure!  I am around some people that are still very fat phobic and they think I am crazy sometimes.  I even had someone say to me several months ago that if you are in restaurant that the people who order mayo on their burgers are always the heaviest - honest to goodness :blink:   That same person gave me a really cross look when I announced I had made my own mayo.  Reminds me of something I read somewhere - no idea where "don't blame the butter for what the bread did"   :lol:

I was panicked this morning because our power was off due to the extremely high winds we had overnight - my first thought was oh crap I haven't made my breakfast hash for the week.  It came back on in a few hours though so no problem.

Everyone have a great Monday tomorrow!

"Don't blame the butter for what the bread did..." Love it!!!

I made a pile of chicken breasts in the IP. Easy, relatively quick, and I'll be looking for more recipes to try. I think it's a keeper. I like my spiralizer too, it's a fun novelty, and it makes "spaghetti" and meatballs a possibility on W30. I'm good with that!

Off to bed so I can hit the gym at the butt-crack of dawn.  :blink:

Just chiming in to say I also want updates on this Instant Pot...espeically the yogurt feature?!?  Whaaaaat?  My plan ended up changing a little for this week and I will be evaluating how I feel about it as it goes.  I had such a long and sort of dramatic day on Saturday so I decided sort of last minute that I was not up to pre-cooking as much as I had originally planned. 

Changing plans, never a good plan.  LOL!  I ended up making some egg salad with bacon and chives for Meal 1, though I opted to add in toast.  I'm still not entirely sure why, but I decided it's week 1 and I'm open to giving myself a chance to behave around bread.  Maybe I will find it's not worth it, but so far I'm doing good.  I didn't open the bag on the way home.  I didn't open it while I was cooking on Sunday.  I made exactly one piece this morning (helps that it's a wide slice and I can only fit it in the toaster if I cut it in half) and the texture it added to the egg salad was great but the taste didn't wow me.  So does that mean it's not worth it?  Or does that mean I've just lost some of the craving for bread...not sure yet.  I do think I'm more likely to eat that Meal 1 if it's not just a scoop of egg salad, so if the toast actually pushes me to eat in the morning opposed to skipping...well, so far so good since this is the first time since January I've actually eaten before leaving the house in the morning. 

Lunch stayed about the same only I went with mashed potatoes instead of roasted as they reheat a little better, I loaded the turkey with onion and zucchini and mushrooms and it's pretty moist so that's a win.  I forgot to pack the ketchup so that meal ended up being more compliant than planned. 

Since I moved the eggs up to Meal 1, that left me uncovered for the mini-meal I usually do and I picked up some yogurt to try and I have a couple of Larabars that I'm okay with using there since I'm not including fruit or nuts anywhere else in my meal plan this week.  But I'm really curious now to hear about this instant pot coconut yogurt because I've not found any of that in my area yet.

Dinner though is probably going to be back to the chicken sausage plan unless I get super motivated to bake the chicken thighs I got. 

My Stitch Fix experience was a bit underwhelming.  I am keeping one of the five things they sent, but even it's just sort of nice not something I was wowed to get.  There is a good chance I'm just super picky, but I will share my feedback and maybe try it one more time before writing it off entirely.  The good news is, everything fit in the same way the bikini fit...not always a great shape on me or a good color for me or a fabric I liked...but nothing I couldn't walk out the front door wearing if I had liked the items.   

Morning,

Catching up on all the posts this morning. Sounds like you are all on track and figuring out where you need and want to be. Wish I could say the same. I have been struggling this past week and not feeling well at all. 

Part of the problem has been attending a market (as a seller) on the weekend and while my food was compliant, I was over awed with the noise and frenetic energy. My colleagues want to attend more markets but I am really hesitant to do that. I got so overtired by 2pm it took my the rest of the weekend to sort myself out and I was still dragging Monday. And financially it was not worth it at all. So that's it for me and markets as a vendor.

Today I have been for my water walk, bracing would be one way to describe it, damned cold would be more accurate. We are reliant on the tides and this morning it was close to full tide about 0730 so I went in otherwise it would be tonight at 7pm and it would be too dark. I did about 25 minutes and am still feeling chilly after a shower, hot breakfast and two cups of bone broth. Something I will have to get used to I guess if I intend to go in every day through winter. I do love it once I am there.

I have also been having coffee--my rationale was a half cup would be fine and I started doing that with a couple days between, I just realized that I have been having my half cup everyday for the past week. That could be part of my wakeful nights. So that gets knocked on the head as of now. I really like the coffee so that is going to be something I miss. I wish I could find a replacement for coffee--bone broth is good but let's face it, it ain't coffee.

Day 4 down.  Made it to the gym this a.m. before work for 45 minutes of Ride (group class on stationary bike).  Had good energy all day and generally felt good.  No real challenges with food today except that I had broccoli with lunch and I think it caused some bloating.  

MissLindy - I can't imagine going in the cold water like you - awesome!  I think I would have a very hard time giving up coffee just because of the ritual of it sometimes.

Gonna get ready for bed - 5:00am does come quick.

Hello! Day one of "not sure what to call it" is in the books. It went well. 

I've been looking at a couple of coconut yogurt recipes for my Instant Pot. I'll need some probiotic capsules, at least for the first round. After that, I can use a bit of the previous batch in the new batch. Not sure when I'll get to making it, but I will share with all of you how it turns out. I have to say that I love the ease of using it. Press a button or two, and walk away. Nothing to adjust, nothing to check, nothing to fool with--can't go wrong! Next, I plan to try a soup or chili. I'll be looking for recipes in the next day or two. 

No gym this morning. I slept right through my alarm! In fact, I barely made it out the door for work on time. I did a short workout at home tonight, so I'm off the hook. No gym tomorrow morning either. I'm going to work early, so I can leave early, so I can go vote. The polls are open plenty late, but I want to get there before the rush. Luckily, my boss is ok with that kind of schedule adjustment!

Now off to clean up the kitchen and get to bed. 

Nancy, it isn't quite that simple. You have to heat the coconut milk to 185 degrees, cool to 115 and then add the prohibitive. You also have to add a thickened and then you can push the yogurt button. Without the thickened it will be thin. Vegan milks lack the protein that makes it thick. I make yogurt in my IP once a week using whole milk. There is a great group of UP people on Facebook. Oops, that should be I P.

Good morning, ladies! 4 days done and a good start to day 5. I swear my body is thanking me for the good food and not having anything bad to process.

I've had my Instant Pot for 4 months and love it. I cook in it several times a week. I won't be making yogurt now, but I have and it is so good. Milk here is $1.09 for half a gallon and that makes 6 cups of thick Greek yogurt + 2 cups whey (my plants love it). As I told Nancy, it is a process but once you have it down, it's like making mayo - you'll never go back to store bought. I make soup in the IP, chocolate chili, the toughest cuts of meat come out tender, the kaula pig that took 16 hours in the slow cooker takes 90 minutes and is so good. I learned so much from the Facebook IP group and they have so many recipes. And I won't talk about the cheesecakes. Between my IP, George Foreman grill, toaster oven and microwave, I hardly turn the stove on anymore.

I have bursitis in my hip - very painful - so I can't work out at the gym right now. I'm taking a 10 minute walk after meals, using my cane, so that I get a little movement in.  I know the W30 will help with the inflammation. Doc gave me a shot of cortisone and prescription Aleve. At first I though it was my RA but an xray showed differently.

We all seem to be doing well right now. I am reading "Always Hungry" which doesn't fit the W30 but might be a good plan for afterwards. I did the 5-Day Cooking Challenge (it was Paleo) and now Cynthia Pasquella is offering an online video course called What You're Really Hungry For. It explores the emotional reasons we eat. It's just starting and a new video will be offered each Tuesday. I thought it might help with some of my head issues that make me eat. If you are interested or want more info, you can go to www.whatyourereallyhungryfor.com to see all about it.

Yesterday it was 75 degrees, right now it's 37 degrees and only to in the low 40s today - that's Springtime in VA. Flowers are blooming and the trees are leafing out. Bradford pear and cherry trees are in full bloom and so beautiful. We have a Cannon plant here and they have cherry trees plant the entire length of their property and it is gorgeous. I take a detour when I'm over that way just to see them.

Have a wonderful day.

Day 5 - OMG.  Felt good when I got up.  Went to gym, as Nancy put it so well at the butt-crack of dawn, to do regular Pump (group strength/conditioning) workout.  Was feeling kind of tired just getting set up for the class and then the whole time it just felt so much harder.  Afterward, I had to rest 3 times while blow drying my hair - and I have short hair :blink: Got to work and felt SO TIRED.  I have been eating lower carb than normal so for lunch I had chicken wings and a rather large sweet potato with a generous portion of coconut oil.  Feel a little better now but still rather tired so no gym tomorrow.  

Susan - I hope your hip feels better soon. This has been a very unpredictable Spring so far for sure.

Happy hump day tomorrow all

Nancy, it isn't quite that simple. You have to heat the coconut milk to 185 degrees, cool to 115 and then add the prohibitive. You also have to add a thickened and then you can push the yogurt button. Without the thickened it will be thin. Vegan milks lack the protein that makes it thick. I make yogurt in my IP once a week using whole milk. There is a great group of UP people on Facebook. Oops, that should be I P.

Susan, my comment about just pushing a button was about the IP in general, not about the yogurt. Should be an interesting experiment!

Day 6 much better.  I had a suspicion as to what was wrong yesterday and I was right.  I checked my ketones with a urine strip last night and had moderate ketones.  So basically my body didn't have any carbs to burn and didn't yet know how to burn fat so when I worked out my body thought it was on empty.  As uncomfortable as this was I am happy to see that I can get to this point with just a few days of low carb.  I know that for serious ketosis people the ketone strips are not the most accurate but for me at this point it was a confirmation. So my plan is to continue current eating style, skip gym for a few days and see how it goes.  My job is very physical anyway and I have a lot of outside work to do so it won't be like I'll be totally sedentary anyway.  

So, didn't go to gym today - had good energy all day. I did have a hiccup in compliance today - ordered eggs with lunch and didn't ask what they would be cooked in.  Thought about it after I ate them - butter :wacko: Stupid mistake.  I can decide to start over or not.  Decided to continue on - just won't introduce dairy until day 36 at the earliest.

On to day 7.

Sounds like you're doing well, bpaitsel! Such a small hiccup, I'd file it under "sh*t happens..." 

I've found that many of my W30 habits are so ingrained I don't think much about them. And then, I get a reminder... One of the WW blogs I still see on Facebook had a pic of a shopping cart loaded with fruit to eat as snacks in the hotel while on an out of town trip.I would not eat fruit as a snack, not all by itself. I can almost feel my blood sugar spike just writing about it! And a meal without protein and fat? Nope. Won't do it. Funny how those kinds of things stick with me, even as I struggle with some of the "extra-curricular" foods I can't seem to stay away from. I'm going to take that as a hopeful sign that the lifestyle will become permanent...eventually!

PS It's snowing. IS THIS A JOKE???

Good morning, ladies! Raining and 62 degrees.

Atkins, the grandfather of low carb diets, quit using ketone strips for they aren't accurate. If you drink a lot of water, the strip will be lighter, if you are dehydrated, it will be darker. The body has 0 need for carbs. You will die if you don't eat enough fat or protein, but there is no need for carbs. Think of the Eskimos! I've kept my regular exercise schedule with no loss of performance. I eat tons of veggies of everyday so I'm sure that helps. Once again, I am seeing how much better I feel without simple carbs. I'm not as bloated and I'm having fewer aches from RA. Why can't I remember this before reaching for the bad stuff?

Snow - NO! After living in OH 47 years near Lake Erie with all its lake-effect snow, whiteouts, and shoveling, we moved to VA. Average snowfall per year - 7 inches. Some years we get none. Anyway, I hate snow!

Nancy, I'm with you on the fruit. By itself, it makes me want sugar. I have it with meals now, if at all and mostly eat berries.

Day 6 much better.  I had a suspicion as to what was wrong yesterday and I was right.  I checked my ketones with a urine strip last night and had moderate ketones.  So basically my body didn't have any carbs to burn and didn't yet know how to burn fat ...

How long did you go between your last W30 and this one?

How long was it since your last meal? 

And how 'off plan' did you go?

Just checking in...nothing much new to report.  I should be posting about my next week's meal plan but so far that is a blank sheet of paper! 

This week has worked out okay so far, my enthusiasm for breakfast did not take off and I even ended up eating the egg salad for dinner once or twice so it wasn't wasted but even adding the toast didn't get me hopping out of bed to chow down.  On the up side, I will probably not finish even half the loaf as it hasn't gotten any tastier either.  I probably did that on purpose, picked a bread that was good (not overly processed for bread being bread) but not one of those that I really love so it was easier to resist.  Turns out, too easy. 

I also didn't like either of the yogurts I got, which isn't a huge surprise since I don't really like yogurt to begin with.  So both of my planned off-road items were duds this week.  I guess I'm not counting the ketchup where the only non compliant ingredient is some added sweetener I think and that was fine on the meatloaf didn't make me want to eat extra spoonfuls or anything. 

The weather is not snowing, but still very cold for the time of year, so I should be camped out at home most of the weekend which means I could get some cooking in if I could think of something to make.  My only initial idea is my old favorite beef and butternut stew, cue from it being so cold I think, but if I make it I'm going to want to go back to the original recipe which included pearl couscous.  I'm clear for that as I'm not on W30 this month so assuming I can work out a balanced plan around that with little to no other "cheats"...    I just can't seem to get my brain engaged in planning.  May try to spend some time flipping through cookbooks tonight.  I think part of it is this weather, I'm sort of sick of all my winter meals but the weather isn't motivating me to try spring stuff either. 

So I'm with you on the "warm up already" mantra.

Here is an off the wall sort of NSV though, one of the biggest changes for me from January is that I've noticed I'm now about 80% more likely to wear my blouse tucked in rather than out.  This is something I almost never did before, regardless of fit, it was just something that never felt comfortable or flattering and now it's starting to feel like a default.  Not that I have some perfectlyflat stomach or anything, but clothes fit on my body in a way even the larger sizes I wore before never did. 

How long did you go between your last W30 and this one?

How long was it since your last meal? 

And how 'off plan' did you go?

Finished last W30 end of January.  I don't remember exactly what time I did the strip but I think it was maybe an hour after a meal - really not sure.  I was so "off plan" during February and March that I was on another planet.   :blink: Had off-plan foods on most days.  The last couple of weeks of March especially I had a ton of sugar and dairy.  Had gained 5 pounds.  No gluten since strictly gluten-free.

Would greatly appreciate your opinions/advice/input.  Thanks

Crimsann - I love your NSV.  It really is the "little" things that really add up to big victories :lol:

Nothing exciting to report.  Did have a short road trip today and was able to remain compliant by not stopping to buy non-compliant snacks/beverages.

Forgot to report that my "hiccup" with the butter on the eggs caused a fair amount of distress yesterday in the form of a headache, feeling very stuffy and major brain fog.  This morning - much better.

Just wanted to clarify that I KNOW that ketone strips are not completely accurate but I think they do have a place.  I used a couple while I was off-road and they showed just what I expected - negative.  I also don't care whether or not I get into ketosis  or, if I do, if I stay there or not.  I am tracking my carbs just to see at what level I have good energy and, after end of W30, the level at which I can release a few pounds for good.  If an occasional strip shows ketones - fiine.  I will  not change my diet based on what a strip shows me.  My context is that when I work out I do it with 100% intensity and then I have a job in a very busy outpatient physical therapy practice where I am constantly moving for about 7 hours a day.  And now, in my spare time we are cleaning off some land so I am very active overall.  Someone else's context is going to be different. 

With that all said, JMCBN I do welcome your input.  

Everyone have a great Friday :)

Finished last W30 end of January.  I don't remember exactly what time I did the strip but I think it was maybe an hour after a meal - really not sure.  I was so "off plan" during February and March that I was on another planet.   :blink: Had off-plan foods on most days.  The last couple of weeks of March especially I had a ton of sugar and dairy.  Had gained 5 pounds.  No gluten since strictly gluten-free.

Would greatly appreciate your opinions/advice/input.  Thanks

Actually I was meaning how long was the training session since your last meal - not the ketone strip. And what was your last meal? 

I'd also wonder during your off-roading sessions - were you snacking? Or were you still going that 4-5hrs in between meals?

I just wonder because it IS entirely possible that you didn't come out of fat adaptation mode simply because you ate some off plan foods - the internal digestive changes have taken place and so it's possible that you just had an off day, or your meals weren't well composed in the days before your 'problem day', or it could have been where you are in your cycle for instance - it could be any other number of things other than you being a sugar burner.

Remember that fat adaptation & ketosis are two entirely different things. Fat adaptation is not 'all or nothing' the way ketosis is and so the longer your body stays in a fat adapted mode the stronger your metabolism becomes & the less likely you are to come out of it - unless you go completely off the rails.

jmcbn: Thanks for this information, very good to know.

I am still not sure I am in fat adaptation, some days I think I am then some days not, even being 100 per cent compliant. Then I just got discouraged and had several days of not being compliant at all.

This past week I have been feeling so much better physically and mentally, I think the water-walking is making a huge difference even though it is cold water and I am not going a huge distance. I look forward to the tide being at the right place so I can go in. I have also added more offal meals to my week and that is helpful, and my bone broth intake has nearly doubled. So it is all making a difference. My energy level is higher and more sustained.

My task is 'keep the faith and keep on'

Hope you all are heading into the weekend with happy hearts. L 

Actually I was meaning how long was the training session since your last meal - not the ketone strip. And what was your last meal? 

I'd also wonder during your off-roading sessions - were you snacking? Or were you still going that 4-5hrs in between meals?

I just wonder because it IS entirely possible that you didn't come out of fat adaptation mode simply because you ate some off plan foods - the internal digestive changes have taken place and so it's possible that you just had an off day, or your meals weren't well composed in the days before your 'problem day', or it could have been where you are in your cycle for instance - it could be any other number of things other than you being a sugar burner.

Remember that fat adaptation & ketosis are two entirely different things. Fat adaptation is not 'all or nothing' the way ketosis is and so the longer your body stays in a fat adapted mode the stronger your metabolism becomes & the less likely you are to come out of it - unless you go completely off the rails.

Oh, sorry about the misunderstanding.  Training session was 6:00AM and I had eaten dinner the night before (roasted chicken wings - 8 of them- with salad with homemade mayo/herb dressing probably around 6:00PM.  I had a hard-boiled egg pre-WO.  Except for after dinner snacks/desserts I was not snacking while off-roading.  Pre-WO of HB egg, workout 6:00-7:00AM, M1 at 7:30AM, M2 around Noon and M3 around 6:00PM is my general schedule.  I'm in menopause so no cycle - Yay!

Yea I was forgetting about the difference between fat adaptation and ketosis.  I guess I figured I had completely messed up the fat adaptation while off roading due to high dairy, sugar,etc, etc which is what I assume caused weight gain of 6 lbs. in 2 months.  Is it possible that those off plan foods were just inflaming me and causing the weight gain?

The only food that was a big change - I generally eat good quality meat but for 2 days before my crash I did have one serving each day of pork loin from grocery store that had sodium phosphate in it.  Could that have caused the problem?  I'm going to do some research on that now.

Thank you for your help.  I haven't been to gym yet but plan to go back on Monday.  Thanks again.

Day 10 - 1/3 of the way!  In general feeling good and clothes fitting better - can tell I'm less bloated.  Skin seems a bit better too.  Added a baked potato to dinner tonight with plans to go to gym in the morning and hopefully not have another crash.

This weekend has been fairly cool so not able to work outside but got a lot of work done inside straightening up kitchen cabinets and closets.

Right now hubby sitting beside me eating cake :ph34r: I don't really want it but I do miss it.

I have to say that I am being more careful (except for the recent butter incident which was accidental) on this W30 than the first 2.  I read somewhere on here, I think one of Melissa's blogs, that even if you put in 99% effort you are not going to get 99% of the benefit - has to be 100%.  So I think I am now finding that to be true.  With the other 2 a few times I did have regular mayo when eating out thinking that it wasn't a big deal - I know better now due to the soybean oil.  Oh, speaking of mayo, I usually use Filippo Berrio olive oil (for sauteeing and grilling) but I found extra light at wal mart - made mayo with it today and YUM.

I had a baked potato with dinner tonight in preparing to go to gym tomorrow AM - will hopefully avoid a crash.

Have a great start to your week!

Archived