Tigers and Turtles - 2016

Crimsann

I read somewhere on here, I think one of Melissa's blogs, that even if you put in 99% effort you are not going to get 99% of the benefit - has to be 100%.  So I think I am now finding that to be true. 

I am certain this is true. And I think it's time for me to do that. Once again, I have fallen flat on my face. I'm in the middle of several days of dog sitting at my daughter's house. Every time I've done that since I did my first W30, I've come prepared with a ton of frozen things to help me stick to my plan. This time, I ended up with nothing in my freezer and didn't plan ahead at all. The end result is that I have once again failed in a BIG way. I will start again. I will be doing a REAL W30, not a pseudo-W30 (a faux30?). I just can't seem to land in the healthy middle ground, and I feel worse than ever. <sigh>

bpaitsel, glad things are going well for you!

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nancy I'm sorry you have hit such a rough patch.  That is how I felt practically the whole month of March.  When I finished January W30 I had absolutely no intention of ever doing another one - why would I ever need to do that again :ph34r: I'm not sure how many W30s you have under your belt but this is my third and, so far (knock on wood) was the easiest to start and to remain compliant so far.  I keep my food very simple - breakfasts are sausage/onion/sweet potato hash with added ccnt oil, lunches this week are mostly a mix of ground beef sauteed with shredded broccoli slaw mix and onion.  Then dinner is a protein with some sort of veggie (tonight was fried pork chop with sauteed cabbage).  Not particularly exciting but easy.  To help you start feeling better sooner maybe you could just think of a few things you could get and fix easily.

Making a big change in our diet is not easy.  I forget how many attempts it usually takes a smoker to break that habit and I think this is the same.  We know what to eat but we just have to keep making the attempt until it becomes second nature.  It only takes a day for it all to fall apart.  Faux30 - good one :) I think there is a lot of that going on from what I am reading on some of the other forums - it takes a few attempts to get it right.

On to a better Tuesday!

Nancy, sorry to hear you have hit a snag. This is not hard but is very very difficult!

We had a day with MIL yesterday and I always end up tired and frustrated. So to my surprise I spent most of last night unable to sleep. I finally put my head down about 0300! Not a great start to my day when I have so many things planned. And I am having trouble with food compliance. Not easy these days.

Didn't get my swim yesterday so will have to go twice as long today!

Need lots of fluid today and back on strict track for the next few days then am going to reintroduce green beans--I do miss them so hopefully I will be okay with them.

I really need to do a full W30 and get back to basics I think. 

Would love to get an IP because I want to make coconut yogurt, it is so expensive here but my husband loves it and I buy it for him. Would be better to make it.

Hope you all find Wednesday easier all way round.

:)

Thanks for the note misslindy, it reminded me that I've been shirking my cheerleader duties this week...

I think I should be somewhat better at it next week since, if all goes well, I should be on "vacation".  For me this spring that will mean camping out at home and playing games/reading/or finally catching up on some other mindless activities.  We are planning an out of town type vacation later this year, but with our new time off policy at work I have to take some now or start losing it again.  Rough life, I know.  As it is I will still need to call in at least twice for conference calls, but whatever.  

Meal plan for this week did end up being the beef stew, it turned out well though I somehow forgot to put the mushrooms in.  Pffft.  No idea where my head was at, oh wait, of course I do...it was stressing over making an angel food for a co-workers birthday.  I also made the apple slaw, all compliant except a dab of added honey.  The big departure for me this week was trying out a morning smoothie deal.  Mine ended up being compliant in ingredients at least though I am fully aware drinking fruit is not the ideal day start, I'm still experimenting with what if anything would induce me to consume some kind of calories before 1:00 PM.  I'm trying some ideas I got on a blog to pre-mix the ingredients in individual serving containers and freeze...then just blend with a liquid in the morning without having to mix stuff up (make a mess) every morning.  Talk about miniscule time saver probably, but I will save any amount of time in the morning.  Today I tried a sort of cocoa/almond butter/banana/cherry/and coconut milk blend.   I would have to double check all of the ingredients, but I think the Califa toasted coconut blend of almond milk/coconut cream is compliant as long as it's the carrageenan free.  Since I was teaching this morning and it ended up pretty thick (read not easy to casually swig while talking) I didn't get it all in...but it wasn't too horrible despite being unsweetened.  I may try a riff on that same blend with some cold brew coffee as well and ditch the cocoa...I think I would rather have a lighter taste, I'm not anti-chocolate but it just didn't hit the spot.  I'm not sure I'm ready to make that an every day breakfast but it's something I could rotate in for a change and see how it goes.  For sure the half serving I did get in was filling enough so that already tells me I should pack less of it, don't want to end up mindlessly sipping it tomorrow just because I'm doing less talking! 

I have no idea what's happening but I have had the most incredible energy since Tuesday this week. Mind you I was wide awake from 0600 Tuesday morning until 0300 Wednesday morning, that was a bit shocking. Even with the sleep deprivation I have been motoring along here like a wee choo choo train. Perhaps it just took me longer to get into the zone with the AIP. Not noticing other changes yet but am getting through a pile of work. Got to be good.

Hope you are all doing well. 

I have no idea what's happening but I have had the most incredible energy since Tuesday this week. Mind you I was wide awake from 0600 Tuesday morning until 0300 Wednesday morning, that was a bit shocking. Even with the sleep deprivation I have been motoring along here like a wee choo choo train. Perhaps it just took me longer to get into the zone with the AIP. Not noticing other changes yet but am getting through a pile of work. Got to be good.

Hope you are all doing well. 

Hello Tiger!!!

I'm doing pretty good for day 14.  Occasionally having some sinus issues but it is heavy pollen season here too sooooo . . . not sure.  But it is worth it to have the beautifull weather we are having today and for the next several days.  Energy has been good but not great (but MUCH better than before started w30 this time).  I know that I have not been eating enough veggies so today stocked up better.  I was planning to fix spaghetti squash today so instead of roasting it in the oven I figured it would be easier to do in the crockpot (wouldn't have to wrestle it like an alligator to cut it in half first).  Not happy with it at all - the consistency seems mushy.  Perhaps it was just not a good squash to begin with.  Oh well - plan B (whatever that is)

MissLindy you can be the tiger and I'll be the turtle :)

Hi all! Here's my problem: When I'm doing a W30, I'm compliant and happy. It's when I try to NOT do a W30 that I fall apart. I just can't get the hang of that middle ground. It's either W30 or binge-o-rama! Totally frustrated by that. 

Crimsann, I'd be thrilled that you forgot the mushrooms! Can't stand 'em, myself. I know, I'm in the minority...

bpaitsel, I'm planning some healthy meals to get me started. My freezer is empty, and I haven't had time to do a shop/cook day. Unfortunately, that means way too much eating out--never a good thing.

misslindy, yay for Tiger Blood!!!

Hi there, T&T buddies!

After a LONG vacay from following this thread (when I actually missed you all) - here I am plugging back in.  I'm up to date on all the posts and cheering you on, everyone.  Love the shopping basket discipline, Crimsann (and the sneaky workaround, Nancy)...and appreciate all the tips and recipe ideas, etc.  I believe the last time i squeaked up was when I was screeching off road in my speeding car...I was staying silent then about starting another W30 in April since my birthday was in the first week and I didn't want to rain on my own parade...

But, let me tell you something....my own theory that I think is interesting  :rolleyes: During my post-January slow slide into bad habits, I didn't go whole hog bad....just a breakfast croissant here, a latte there....more wine than usual...and then - god forbid - an actual sandwich (or two).  It wasn't every meal, or even every day...just the drip, drip, drip of decisions that had consequences.

I started to notice some joint aches (like some of you) - and then some change in my, eh...elimination patterns.  THEN, I was exposed to a GI virus when I visited someone in a nursing home - and I was hit HARD for more than a week.  I think my system was already out of balance and the virus found a happy home.  I'm just coming out on the other side of this....and now thinking about getting back on the horse.

I do believe that each w30 helps to lock in better habits and preferences....adding bread back in was really a last resort....and sugar has still not been of great interest.....so there is some progress.

The good news about my illness: NO INTEREST IN WINE....yay.

Nancy, I am so with you about believing it must be all or nothing....and so hopeful you can believe in your ability to get to a place where that isn't true....maybe it is just chipping away at it with each successive w30....

Miss Lindy, your polar bear swims are an inspiration - and will likely stay that way for me...brrrrrr....and Crimsann, bpaitsel, and Susan, thanks for all the strategies and recipes....I've had an IP for a year now, but never went on the Facebook page....that is NEXT.

Anyway, happy Spring everyone (Fall for you, Lindy)....and has everyone seen the recent spate of articles debunking the FAT myth...and then pointing to sugar as a demon?  Good stuff out there these days.

Cheers to all!

merg

Hi there, T&T buddies!

After a LONG vacay from following this thread (when I actually missed you all) - here I am plugging back in.  I'm up to date on all the posts and cheering you on, everyone.  Love the shopping basket discipline, Crimsann (and the sneaky workaround, Nancy)...and appreciate all the tips and recipe ideas, etc.  I believe the last time i squeaked up was when I was screeching off road in my speeding car...I was staying silent then about starting another W30 in April since my birthday was in the first week and I didn't want to rain on my own parade...

But, let me tell you something....my own theory that I think is interesting  :rolleyes: During my post-January slow slide into bad habits, I didn't go whole hog bad....just a breakfast croissant here, a latte there....more wine than usual...and then - god forbid - an actual sandwich (or two).  It wasn't every meal, or even every day...just the drip, drip, drip of decisions that had consequences.

I started to notice some joint aches (like some of you) - and then some change in my, eh...elimination patterns.  THEN, I was exposed to a GI virus when I visited someone in a nursing home - and I was hit HARD for more than a week.  I think my system was already out of balance and the virus found a happy home.  I'm just coming out on the other side of this....and now thinking about getting back on the horse.

I do believe that each w30 helps to lock in better habits and preferences....adding bread back in was really a last resort....and sugar has still not been of great interest.....so there is some progress.

The good news about my illness: NO INTEREST IN WINE....yay.

Nancy, I am so with you about believing it must be all or nothing....and so hopeful you can believe in your ability to get to a place where that isn't true....maybe it is just chipping away at it with each successive w30....

Miss Lindy, your polar bear swims are an inspiration - and will likely stay that way for me...brrrrrr....and Crimsann, bpaitsel, and Susan, thanks for all the strategies and recipes....I've had an IP for a year now, but never went on the Facebook page....that is NEXT.

Anyway, happy Spring everyone (Fall for you, Lindy)....and has everyone seen the recent spate of articles debunking the FAT myth...and then pointing to sugar as a demon?  Good stuff out there these days.

Cheers to all!

merg

Lovely to have you back. Sounds like you are doing well in spite of some challenges.

Polar Bear swims are for sure, it is rapidly getting colder and I think the walking in the water is making me stronger so will keep it up. Can't go everyday now because the tides are not right and no water but still can do some walking. 

Can't stand mushrooms either...

Merg - good to have you back.  Seems as though you are learning a lot about yourself.  When we start to think that we have failed by falling into old habits let's remember that all the while we are learning.

Still have turtle blood - would like to have a little better energy (haven't been going to gym except for about twice a week for one good cardio session and one good weight lifting session).  Might be that a little more gym time would = more energy :ph34r: Seems that I have been making excuses for a while to skip out on the gym - need to work on this one.

Weather is supposed to be fantastic for the next several days so that will be nice.

Everyone have a great weekend

Nice weather on tap here too! My knee is feeling somewhat better today, but I'm unsure as to the benefit of a walk. I'm not very good at moderating my exercise, just like with food. Either I'm a sloth, or I'm at the upper end of my capabilities. Apparently, I have no middle ground. And unfortunately, that's left me with a bigger middle!!!  :lol:  :P  :blink: Glad to see that my sense of humor is still functional, barely...  ;)

Good to have you back, merg! Sorry about the achy joints. Mine are too!

bpaitsel, I'm needing more gym time too. Busting up my knee was a good excuse to put off waking up at 4am! But ultimately, I feel worse because of it. And the bad eating...

Ok, time to get off my but and get something done. Lots to choose from! Grocery shopping & cooking, cleaning, going for a walk, finishing the laundry, cleaning the bathroom, reconciling my checking account, tons of fun! Oh, and let's not forget trying to figure out the food/exercise moderation thing... Have a great weekend, all!

Was at our local produce stand a couple of days ago and saw that they were co-sponsoring a Fairy Garden making class - I felt so smart because I had read Crimsann's blog about doing that ... otherwise, I had never heard of it!

Day 16 done.  Had breakfast of 2 eggs, bacon with sliced tomatoes and cukes.  Was happy, and surprised that this held me for a good 6 hours that we were away from home (which included a couple hours of physical activity).  Had taken some food with us but didn't need it.  Before W30 I never left the house without "emergency" food - usually some kind of bar . . . because I had such sugar highs then crashes it seemed I was always hungry.

Goal for coming week:  stop using excuses to avoid going to gym.  Since I get to sleep in until 5:00AM if going to gym I feel like the sloth Nancy :ph34r:

Everyone enjoy the sunshine - MissLindy I hope the water is not too cold - we all need the Vit D!

Was at our local produce stand a couple of days ago and saw that they were co-sponsoring a Fairy Garden making class - I felt so smart because I had read Crimsann's blog about doing that ... otherwise, I had never heard of it!

Day 16 done.  Had breakfast of 2 eggs, bacon with sliced tomatoes and cukes.  Was happy, and surprised that this held me for a good 6 hours that we were away from home (which included a couple hours of physical activity).  Had taken some food with us but didn't need it.  Before W30 I never left the house without "emergency" food - usually some kind of bar . . . because I had such sugar highs then crashes it seemed I was always hungry.

Goal for coming week:  stop using excuses to avoid going to gym.  Since I get to sleep in until 5:00AM if going to gym I feel like the sloth Nancy :ph34r:

Everyone enjoy the sunshine - MissLindy I hope the water is not too cold - we all need the Vit D!

Isn't this great we learn so many things and can act like we have so much knowledge: love that you knew about Fairy Gardens.

The water is cold but worse than that the past two days the tides have been wrong for me so it is in at 0600 in the morning and then again in the evening. Dark at both ends of the day and I hesitate to go in when it is dark. Never mind this week will be different again so will be able to go.

You sound like you are doing so well. Lovely to hear.

Hahaha! Sloth Nancy got out for a short walk yesterday, after spending most of the day in the kitchen (more on that later...), and then did the stretches I was told would help my knee situation. My knee felt better when I woke up this morning. Not sure if it was the walk or the stretches, but will continue with both!

I used my Instant Pot yesterday to make stew. It was fabulously easy! Because it has a sauté function, I could brown the beef in oil first. Then I threw in onion, celery, carrots, butternut squash (already cut up from the grocery store) and potatoes. Pressed the stew button, and just like magic, it was stew! It came up to pressure quickly because I had the sauté function on first, cooked under high pressure for 35 minutes, I let it cool for about 20 minutes. I thickened the broth a bit (non-compliant cornstarch, since I'm not currently W30-ing) and there you have it. I used the sauté function to cook the meat and veggies for my shepherd's pie too. Handy, since I didn't have to dirty anything else. I am going to try coconut milk yogurt as soon as I have everything I need (including time for all the steps!). And I discovered a W30 Instant Pot forum on Facebook. Will be exploring there later. I plan to use that thing often, now that I've seen it in action!

I can't wait to get out in the sun at lunchtime--gotta load up on D!!!

I think I should have maybe used some punctuation in my last post . . .   Meant to read that I felt like the sloth.  Perhaps a comma between sloth and Nancy would have been appropriate.  This is how rumors get started :o  Any who . . . I found a suitable excuse (if that actually is a thing) to not go to gym again this morning.  I used to absolutely love being in the gym and never thought about not going.  Over the last year I have just gradually lost the desire.  Not sure why but could possibly be because I have had a couple of physical setbacks in the form of a back and then a hip injury and now I just feel like I am spinning my wheels as far as progress.  Oh well . . . just another excuse. . . need to just suck it up and get going!!!  I think I need some type of goal to work toward.  And no I am not going to run a marathon :blink:

Had a potluck lunch at work today.  Fortunately a co-worker is also doing W30 so we brought compliant items.  I was able to skip over the soda, chips, hot dogs (not sure what ingredients in them) and dessert (even though it was gluten-free) without much problem.  Felt great afterwards too.

Getting ready for day 19 tomorrow :)

Getting ready for day 19 tomorrow :)

Wow!  I can't believe it's already day 19...so months really can fly by. 

It definitely feels like the day has.  I don't take that much time off, so when I do...it feels like I don't even scratch the surface of things to get done.  Just trying to keep some semblance of balance between "fun" and "chores".

I did deliberately throw the rule book out to sea for this week, and so I have no meal plan.  I made up a crockpot of taco chicken meat and that makes an easy taco salad meal.  The dressing on it isn't compliant, nor are the corn chips, but it's not like eating waffles topped with ice cream (which I dreamed I did the other night, talk about a riff on waffle cones, LOL!)  I made another angel food over the weekend to take to my sisters, but left most of it there and what I did bring home disappeared before I got a chance at it.  I haven't ruled out making my own birthday cake yet though I can't seem to settle on anything.  Planning lunch out with a friend later this week, but mostly my gift to myself this year is a week of not having to do anything specific...if I wake up and it sounds fun or tasty, so be it. 

At some point this week I am going to have to come up with a meal plan for next week though when life resets back to "normal" work routine. 

Most exciting news from my corner is that we firmed up vacation plans for this fall.  Last year we had planned to take my niece to the beach, a trip we had made as a family several years ago (pre-kids) and enjoyed, finding the area in the off season to be quiet and relaxing and less than half the cost of going to the same place in the summer.  Then my sister found out she was expecting again and due just two weeks before we would have left.  Turns out we probably would have been fine since Madelyn was the worlds most peaceful and sleepy baby but all we had to go by was the experience with her older sister who would have kept the whole island awake.  So we are going to try this again and made the reservations over the weekend.  One step closer!  I'm sure it will be a very different sort of vacation with a one-year old and a nearly 3-year old, but it's also going to be that much more fun I think.  We have rented a large beach house so everyone has their own floor essentially and we have enough space to not be underfoot of each other the entire week.  We were lucky enough to get the same place we had before so we know the layout and can plan to take advantage of the space. 

As I joked to one of my friends though, I probably better lay out my suitcase now before I spend all summer buying outfits and toys for me AND the girls and then find I can't even fit it all in the car. 

All in all, it's good timing.  While I may be on a food vacation as well right now...I also have a clear goal and a good reason not to get too far off track.  I'm going to enjoy this week and probably let my inner baker out to play, but I'm also going to be happy to get back to whittling away soon.  I may even cut things short and go back on plan fully sooner than June 1.

Before I left work on Friday, my friend stopped in to give me a birthday gift.  It was, as she had emailed another friend of ours, a stripper.  Hoot!  But to be clear, it was an herb stripper.  We both recently came to the realization of how fantastic kale chips can be and also how fantastically expensive so were talking over some tips/tricks of making our own.  She ran across this handy little tool that strips the stems of kale as well as any number of other herbs.  I was thrilled with it, it's going to come in handy for any number of things once I can get my herb garden planted again.  After several jokes back and forth we finally 'fessed up about what we were discussing but I think our friend would have been more accepting of an actual stripper than a device to make kale chips.  She tolerates us, but she doesn't really understand us.  ROFL! 

Well I'm off to take something and try to get some sleep I think, I would blame my diet but I think my stiff neck has more to do with toting my niece around on my shoulders through the woods yesterday.  Ooof...I don't know how all parents aren't in triathlon level fitness. 

Thanks Nancy, looks like I'm going to be aiming for sleeping through my birthday this year though.  My niece seems to have given me an early birthday gift over the weekend...and it's starting with a sore throat.

Unbelievable really, I know I have said it before but this makes it official that I have been sick more in the last year than the rest of my life combined.  Okay, slight exaggeration, but not much.  Pretty sure cutie is the cause of most of it, it's like she can perfectly distill a virus into it's most Auntie contagious form.  Or possibly she is the only one who hangs off of me like a limpet no matter what her current state of health.  

Sigh, so instead of heading out this morning to scavenge up materials for the mother of all birthday cakes as was my original plan...I'm headed for more Advil and maybe the ultimate indulgence...those apple pie throat lozenges!  :huh:

This would almost be funny if it weren't so not funny. 

Crimsann - Happy Birthday!!! Hope you feel better quickly.  Have you ever tried taking Zicam to shorten a cold?  I think it has worked in the past for me - I'm not sure of the ingredients but might not be too bad.

So far these last 20 days have gone fast.  Nothing great to report - just plugging along.

Looks like my first batch of coconut yogurt has turned out. I won't be trying it till tomorrow morning,but it looks good--nice and thick. I hope it's not too tart, as I hope to skip any kind of sweetener in it. I've done a couple more things in the Instant Pot, and am really happy with it. It's fast, and very easy to clean. I'm looking forward to trying a few more things soon!

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm struggling to get back on track, but that's better than having given up, right?

XO

Hmmm, after all the fooling around with the yogurt, here's something I didn't expect... I don't like it!!! :lol:  :lol: :lol:  Oh well, plenty of good recipes out there to use the coconut cream with.  

Aaaand it's Monday again...

Hi

Sorry to hear you don't like the yoghurt, Nancy. I would love it if I could make it properly. It is a bit tangy but as Susan suggested perhaps with a bit of fruit in it?

I am so envious of you with your IPs, would love one of those they sound brilliant. As it is I have my crock pot on the go all the time, well almost all the time. I am drinking so much bone broth I have to make more every second day or so.

Swimming is becoming more of a challenge but, believe it or not, I really like it. Testing myself against the elements is really challenging and fun when I achieve it. Today is cold, windy with rough seas so I will be testing myself to the limit I think, well my limit anyway. Some of the sports people would not even bat an eyelash and think my efforts a bit small--I don't. I am thrilled that I can do it at all, 8 months ago I wouldn't have even attempted it. So am thrilled with my progress.

Does anyone else have fits and starts with sleeping? There are nights I sleep soundly for about four hours then can't settle down again for a couple of hours, occasionally I sleep the entire night and feel so rested and revived the next morning. Mostly though lately I sleep for a bit then am awake for a few hours, I do stay in bed and try to go back to sleep but usually no luck until I read for a bit then sleep a few more hours. My aim is to do a solid 8 hours and get up early, my day goes much better that way. Any ideas? I wonder if I should be going to bed later to begin with, at the moment I am in bed before 9 and read for a bit--often only a few minutes sometimes 30 minutes or so.

Susan, I think I may try the Greek yogurt. I do ok with yogurt, and that sounds like more of a sure thing!

misslindy, I've actually been sleeping pretty well most of the time. I seemed to retain that good habit after my first W30. If I do wake up, I grab my Kindle and read myself back to sleep!

Archived