Accidental Soy reintro

NicoleLouise76

Hi there!

Looking for some help! Tried to search first but apparently search term "soy" is "not allowed" in this forum.

Here is what I am curious about:

Pre-Whole30 I ate soy sauce, maybe every 2 weeks or so when I would have sushi, the odd time I'd add it to a recipe, and I guess in any additives I was eating. Didn't seem to cause any distress. I've also always been able to eat edamame (ate it every now and then) and tofu (which I ate almost never because I just prefer animal protein). What I have always had problems with is Soy Milk and body/face creams with soy in them. Creams would make me want to tear my skin off (Aveeno brand has soy as a main ingredient) and soy milk would give me a hot flush and make me really nauseated for an hour or so after drinking (it was extreme enough that I ONLY drank it once). 

So, last night, I am 2 days out of my first Whole30 and essentially have made the decision to keep eating according to template. It was a girls night in and had ordered in sushi.  I ordered a sashimi salad (fish and veggies) and brought my own coconut aminos. I also ordered a gommae salad which i thought was just spinach and sesame paste. It was pretty apparent upon tasting that there was a bit of sugar in it, but I allowed it anyways. 30 min after eating - HOT FLUSH AND NAUSEA! I mean BAD!

I can only assume it was soy sauce in the gommae dressing, and not the sugar, and I guess I am totally blown away at what an EXTREME reaction I had towards something that previously felt so benign. 

Is this normal? I've read the books....I know my body has likely just been coping and covering up all these years, but I was blown away by the intensity of my reaction.  

I'm hoping someone can tell me again that this is normal, and more specifically if this hot flush combined with nausea is a common soy reaction? Also, am I right to assume the Whole30 stance is that soy should never be reintroduced? I notice its not on the reintro schedule, but tofu is included as a renintro food for another food category....

Thanks - and sorry for the long winded post!

Nicole

• Moderators

First -- for searching the forums, it's best to go to google and search Whole30 plus whatever you're looking for, or Whole30 forum plus whatever you're looking for. The in-forum search is -- we'll go with quirky. :D

I don't know that hot flush and nausea are necessarily normal, but I know when I have soy I feel sort of queasy/upset stomach, so it seems reasonable, you may just be more sensitive than I am.

As far as reintroductions, soy is a legume (soybean). So you could reintroduce it on legume day, or you could separate it out -- some people do peanuts and soy separate from other legumes. You might find the legume manifesto an interesting read.

• Moderators

You don't know what was in the salad. It might have been soy. Maybe it was something else. Talk to the restaurant. 

The Whole30 says you can reintroduce anything you want to reintroduce. We just want you to be knowledgeable about the consequences any particular food has for you. 

Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely call the restaurant so that I can hopefully pinpoint. 

Its amazing how Whole30 feels like bit of a double edged sword. Its totally worth it but its ironic how through the process you find things that you used to eat without feeling acutely bad now wreak immediate havoc. Its like your body now has the ability to force you to be more mindful, whereas before I guess it was too overwhelmed to call out...

• Moderators

Its like your body now has the ability to force you to be more mindful, whereas before I guess it was too overwhelmed to call out...

I love this and it is exactly true! Often on a SAD way of eating, we're sending so many gut bombs on a daily basis that your body stops telling you every time it gets bombed and just hunkers down and tries to cope... it's also sometimes referred to as your body being really 'noisy'.  When you do a whole30, things get quiet... the bombs stop coming and you settle into a new kind of 'normal'.  THEN, when you throw something in that was previously 'ignored', your body has the tools to alert you and YOU have the ability to hear because it's not so noisy... 

Archived