Dairy = migraine/nausea

Seltzer

I finished my Whole 30 and figured I'd kick off the reintroductions with dairy, because I really missed cream in my coffee. It's not treating me so well. I'm feeling pretty nauseous and feel very migraine-y after having my morning coffee with cream in it. No bueno. I'm really surprised by this.

I'm right there with you with the surprises with dairy. My stomach hurts and I've gotten horrible cravings.

I'm sufficiently flipped out by this to the extent that I am going back to whole 30 template for a week before I do a any other experimentation.

Slow roll on.....

I'll be finishing my Whole 30 tomorrow and have been thinking about limiting my dairy intake. What I'm wondering is, will we be getting enough appropriate calcium without dairy products? I know spinach has calcium, but it doesn't seem like we would get enough from just spinach. I am at a menopausal point in my life so calcium is pretty important for me at this point.

I'll be finishing my Whole 30 tomorrow and have been thinking about limiting my dairy intake. What I'm wondering is, will we be getting enough appropriate calcium without dairy products? I know spinach has calcium, but it doesn't seem like we would get enough from just spinach. I am at a menopausal point in my life so calcium is pretty important for me at this point.

First off read this article you'll have to google it because I cannot seem to link - Whole 9 - What about Calcium.

Second off - my personal context - prior to whole 30 my bones ached, my nails were brittle and dry, my skin was flaky and dry etc. There were multiple symptoms suggesting that I was calcium deficient - and I was consuming dairy. Oh was I consuming dairy.  I was also taking calcium as a supplement.

Now I don't eat dairy (as in: not at all!) and I stopped taking my Calcium supplement.  And instead I focused on trying to increase foods that are higher in vitamins A, D and K2.  My nails have never been stronger or thicker compared to the paper thin nails they were, my skin is clear - I have eczema, and something called acne inversa - all of which dairy was causing.

Dairy does it do my body good?  Nope!  In no way did it EVER (and I do mean ever) help me.  In fact I suffered a good many years (count 36 of them) because I consumed dairy.

But this my personal context - if you enjoy dairy and you deal with well - then consume it.  But don't consume it because of the calcium.  

I'm having this SAME problem. I'm noticing bloating, lethargy and an annoying headache. All I've had is a 5.3 oz of whole milk greek yogurt, 1.5 slices of cheddar cheese, and  8oz of 2% milk. This is insane! I just want to crawl into bed. I can't believe I ever lived like this prior to my whole 30.  

Thanks so much Shannon and Carlaccini for sharing this article...it provided everything I need to know! I've been trying to talk my daughter into doing a Whole 30 with me, but so far she is turning me down. She is a big dairy person so I'm going to share this article with her too.

I never was a milk drinker, so I would usually have yogurt for my dairy intake...but now I can just skip those calcium vitamins altogether!

We were dairy-free for years because all five of us felt less than stellar in one way or another. We all felt better without it. Yes, we were the people who ordered a cheese-less pizza. :D For a long time.

After we switched to Paleo, I guess I can look back and say I was looking for more variety. I specifically bought Mark Sisson's primal book because I wanted to know WHY he included dairy. And while I found the explanation weak at best ~ we still ended up back in dairy-land. If began with grass-fed butter. Cheese crept in. Heavy cream in my coffee sounded like fun. And so... The dairy-free family was no more.

It got us nowhere good. We all STILL react to it, in one way or another. ...Does anybody die? Nope. Do I have ANY illusions that it is a health-food item? Absolutely not.

It's been OUT at our house for awhile, again. My oldest son and I, especially -- are really more concerned with our health and well-being on a daily basis than we are about any fleeting pleasure from the addition of dairy. We have done especially well at avoiding it.

Yesterday we ordered "unwiches" from Jimmy John's (lettuce wrap). I FORGOT mine had cheese -- HE did not think it was going to affect him much. I mean, "it's just a piece of cheese "... Right?

Riiiiight.

Mine made me gassy, which is very noticeable because I never am. I also felt congested last night, which is not my norm at all. Oh yeah, and my digestion, which has been leaning toward "a bit fast" lately? ...Stand-still today.

HE was a total grump ~ seriously changes his personality. I am not exaggerating. He also told me it gave him a headache, which lasted the rest of the night. It made his face and ears turn red -- a classic dairy reaction for him. And his digestion today? Let's just say, opposite of mine.

All of this to say: I wish I could "double-like" Carla's post. :)

Dairy: It does not do a body good.

That is super interesting. My husband often has that. Never thought it could be attributed to dairy, which I suspect he doesn't tolerate well for other reasons.

His face gets hot, and he turns red.  Very noticeable, and he hates it.  ...Now you will have to keep a closer eye on your husband!    :lol:

Report back.  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Today was my dairy intro day and so far all I have had is 1/4 a cup of plain greek yogurt with breakfast. I feel HORRIBLE!! My throat is swollen and sore, my head is hurting and i'm incredibly lethargic. I'm shocked at how fast this reaction happened and it's making me not want to have any more dairy today. This sucks :(

• 1 year later...

I also re-introduced dairy this past weekend - some cheese (queso) on Saturday and some sweets (which had dairy and gluten) on Sunday evening. Saturday I got a KILLER headache less than an hour after eating the cheese and I had a headache for HOURS on Monday morning. I also felt nauseated Monday AND Tuesday morning, despite getting lots of sleep. I was looking for a post to confirm the nausea and migraine aspects of dairy, and it sounds like I found one. Ugh! I can't believe how long I'm feeling the affects. I definitely would have thought they would be gone TWO DAYS LATER.

Archived