FairGoals First Whole30

Fairgoals

INTRODUCTION - Hello!  First Whole 30 is about to start!  I thought I would begin logging food so I can be corrected for awhile before I commit to a real start day.  I am thinking I will do this 'practice start' for 4-7 days. 

I have done elimination of gluten, sugar (including fruit), dairy, and grains off & on, singly & together for a couple of years.  I felt the best when I ate only protein, veggies (no fruit -hard to do), and fat free yogurt. That really seemed to stabilize things, but it was to restrictive.  I have a little arthritis and psoriasis off & on that I would like to tackle.  I also have put some fat back on this body after losing/maintaining a big loss for 3 years.

I am concerned about food prep time, as I work full time and have 2 side businesses - the reason the weight came back.  I know it will take me a bit to get organized and get rolling, so I am doing this practice start for a few days.

Here is what I have eaten today, and I know its not right, but just shooting from the hip while I get some recipes and ameal plan set up for the first week. I am fully aware to get more green things in than today.

B - Nut/seed 'ola with almond milk  (not making my own, but use carrageen-free, sugar-free)

L - Organic Turkey jerky (oops, honey); boiled potato with ghee/olive oil, spinach/greens with avocado

Snack - 2 HB cagefree eggs

D- Some kind of Chicken  with steamed broccoli with ghee

Looking forward to learning from everyone!!

• Moderators

No nut/seed ola is okay during a Whole30. Nuts and seeds are a fat for the purposes of a Whole30, so this was mostly a protein free breakfast. You should not recreate conventional foods with compliant ingredients. We call that sex with your pants on. SWYPO. Not good enough.

I'm betting you did not eat nearly enough. Here is our guide to eating. Study it carefully. 

How much to eat

Thank you for the look.  As I said, I am experimenting so I can learn to be compliant by Sunday or Monday the real start.  

I wish I could edit posts, then I would edit that food intake, as the snack included small fresh carrot-celery-ginger juice and a handful of pistachios.

I know we should eat rather than drink and that will be hard as I have done a lot of no sweetner added green juices and smoothies with superfoods.  That's how I often get out the door in the morning - almond milk, chia, spinach, protein (non dairy or grain), berries, kale - I am not sure I have to give that up, as it seems compliant, but will definitely cut it to  couple times a week versus daily.

I have been reading and now its apply time.

Fairgoals

• Moderators

You really should give up the liquid breakfast. Liquid food messes with blood sugar and satiety signals as well as can make you hungry sooner because liquids digest faster than chewed food. Also, it is EXTREMELY difficult to find compliant protein powder.

If you're going to do the Whole30, really give it a shot and follow not only the rules but the recommendations (there's an article linked in my signature below) for the best results!

Friday Food:

B - 2 HB eggs & 2 clementines (had to run out the door and not doing a smoothie, as recommended, but no time to cook in AM)

L - Broiled Chicken breast with avocado slices; Carrot juice (sorry to drink carrots, but I had it juiced from day before)

D - going out for a birthday celebration, so will be looking for protein and some veggies

For people who moderate and reply: I appreciate all the information and awesome resources! Please, though, understand I have not really started yet

• Moderators

I think you're really setting yourself up for success with your 'practice' week!  Your 'hangover' should be very minimal if at all.

Some thoughts for when you start... make sure you're eating 1-3 cups of veggies with each meal including breakfast.  Pre-cook if your mornings are too tight.

When eggs are your sole source of protein, it's as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... even the smallest woman can hold 3-4.

Make sure you add fat to each meal as well as per the template.  No fat in your am meal and you don't mention fat in your pm meal... 

:)

• Moderators

It's hard to tell... did you eat as many eggs as you can hold in a hand without dropping?

How much asparagus?

The clementine is nice but if you start finding that you're craving sugar or still hungry after eating a template meal 1, then ditch the fruit... people report eating fruit with meal 1 causes cravings and hunger sooner... move it to the afternoon or evening meals (or ditch it altogether).

• Moderators

Okay great. 3 eggs is great... you were right about more greens... 1-3 cups is the recommendation.

The clementine is fine, I was just suggesting that if you wanted to eat more veggies, you could replace the orange with veggies and to watch the fruit in the morning because some people state what I said above. But it's compliant and you can definitely eat an orange.

Archived