1st time, breastfeeding

Janjan

Hello everyone.

I am a 37-year-old mother of two currently on maternity leave and breastfeeding my 5-month-old.

I have successfully lost weight using Myfitnesspal in the past (before and after baby #1) and was one month into calorie counting again when I started Whole30 (I started on January 26th, so I am already on day 11).

Why Whole30?

-I do not have a healthy relationship with food. Regardless of how healthy my meals were, I sabotaged it all with binge snacking. I would eat100g chocolate bars and hide the wrappers. When I felt sad or stressed I craved sweets. As soon as the little one started sleeping for longer periods at night, I began drinking alcohol- not a lot, and never when I had to breastfeed, but I felt like I needed that glass of wine or beer each night.

-Calorie counting is not good while breastfeeding. Even though I had set my calorie intake for 'maintenance', I was not eating enough and my milk supply suffered as a result. Also, weighing and measuring every single thing you eat is NOT fun.

-I know that I have an intolerance to lactose. I have gone between buying yucky soy milk and expensive lactose-free milk, but I am still often bloated and uncomfortable consuming either. Whole30 is a way for me to see if I can cut dairy products out completely and not miss it. Also, I'd like to see what other food I may be sensitive to.

I am now on day 11 of the whole30. My biggest challenges have been breakfasts (I like boring old toast with peanut butter and a latte) and snack-craving times (mid-afternoon and late evening), but I have not slipped up. That said, I do feel like I've been cheating a little by popping cashews or coconut flakes in my mouth here and there.

Hopefully by recording what I eat I will feel more accountable. Perhaps this will also help other breastfeeding mothers who have struggled with milk supply (fyi, my mine has increased since I started w30!).

Now, on to my meal log:

Yesterday (day10):

M1: 4 eggs scrambled with leftover kale and sweet potato and apple hash, threw some frozen blueberries in there which resulted in blue eggs. odd-looking, but delicious. A few slices of prosciutto. Americano (still miss my latte but it's getting easier). Omega 3 supplement.

M2: Leftover pork chop from night before. Pumpkin and coconut milk soup. Kale. Tomatoes and hearts of palm.

Snack: cashews and coconut flakes

M3: Cooked a whole chicken. The meat was juicy and delicious. I think I'll do this more often instead of just buying breasts. Leftover asparagus from previous night. Roasted vegetables - white and sweet potatoes, onion, carrot. Omega 3.

Snack: granny smith apple and some cashews

Day 11

M1: spinach salad with chicken, 2 hard-boiled eggs, 1/2 large avocado, tomatoes, coconut flakes, olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Americano. O3.

M2: 10-minute chili - ground pork, onion, red peppers, zucchini (leftover chunks from making zoodles), canned tomatoes, spices. 1/2 avocado.

Snack: hard-boiled egg, prosciutto, apple, carrot sticks, cashews. (Trying to make snacks more like mini-meals)

M3: roasted chicken and veggie leftovers from last night, kale, pumpkin and coconut soup.

• Moderators

Hi, Janjan, welcome to Whole30. I just wanted to note, in case you hadn't seen it before, that typically for nursing moms we recommend planning for four full meals a day. You can also add extra fat throughout the day as necessary by drinking coconut milk or eating olives. 

There's a section of the forum for people doing a Whole30 while pregnant or breastfeeding -- if you have any questions or concerns, I'd encourage you to check that out and if you can't find an answer, feel free to post there. 

Thank you so much for your advice, Shannon.

I'll try to incorporate a full meal into my day instead of snacking. Do you recommend a good way of shuffling my meal times? Typically I eat breakfast between 7 and 8, lunch between 11 and 1, and dinner between 6:30 and 7:30. My dinner times are not so flexible because it's a family meal.

Day 12

M1: leftover 10mn chili with 3 scrambled eggs and spinach. Pineapple. Americano. O3.

Snack: banana, cashews and shredded coconut.

M2: cauliflower rice. Chicken in coconut sauce.

Snack: small apple,3 pieces of prosciutto.

M3: haddock. French beans. Roasted carrot, parsnip, white and sweet potato. W30-compliant kimchi. Pineapple. O3.

This morning I woke up feeling quite ill - sore throat, swollen glands, feeling worn-out, yet I still found the energy to clean the house and cook lunch. I am certain that if I hadn't been doing W30, I would have just lazed around all day and had something easy like a frozen pizza for lunch.

• Moderators

I'm not sure what to tell you on the timing. You could, if it makes more sense to you, go for two mini meals instead of one full meal, one sometime during the day and one after supper? I think the main point of the fourth meal is to be sure you're giving your body plenty of energy and nutrients to feed your little one in addition to yourself, so you need more than three meals. You may have to play with timing some and see what works best for you.

If you do find yourself feeling more tired or run down than would be typical, don't be afraid to try increasing what you're eating.

Day 13

M1: 3 eggs scrambled with 10 min chili. 1/2 avocado. Americano. O3.

Snack: banana, cashews, coconut flakes

M2: cauliflower rice. Coconut chicken.

Snack: apple, banana

M3: pork tenderloin. French beans. Mashed potatoes. O3.

Today was probably the hardest day yet for me. I felt tempted several times by food and felt fake hungry all day - definitely couldn't have eaten steamed broccoli and fish, but a big bowl of yogurt or a chocolate bar would've gone done easily.

Tomorrow I am going to make an effort not to snack, and instead have a fourth meal.

I should just classify cashews and coconut flakes as SWYPO foods and hide them away for the rest of the month.

Ugh.

• Moderators

Cashews, coconut flakes, and fruit are all things that are perfectly fine to have on Whole30 -- but that you really need to pay attention to. Planning for mini meals rather than fruit on its own or fruit/nut combinations is important -- not because we want to torture you and take your yummy stuff away, but because when you eat those things (especially on their own), they can keep your cravings for sweets going strong.  Eaten on their own, without plenty of protein and fat and vegetables to help offset their effects, they can cause rapid rises in blood sugar levels, which tend to be followed by rapid drops in blood sugar levels, which leads to you feeling tired and wanting more sweets for that burst of energy you get when you first eat them. If you're craving sweets or starchy stuff, and you can't distract yourself from the craving, have some fat like olives or avocado instead. 

I know fruit and nuts are easy to grab and that's why we often reach for it when we need food, but this is why it's really important to prep and make sure you have food available that you can easily grab when you're hungry.  Hard boiled eggs -- you can boil a dozen at a time, or even cook them in the oven if that's easier. Any time you cook, try to cook at least one extra serving to have the next day. If you have time one day a week, cook a bunch of stuff to keep in the fridge -- grill or bake a bunch of chicken, brown a pound or two of ground meat, roast a bunch of vegetables, make up a big pot of soup. The chicken and ground meat can be used to top salads, add it to the soup if it doesn't have meat, throw it into a stirfry, or just heat it up and have it with some vegetables.

M1: 4 scrambled eggs, 2 slices prosciutto, 1/2 avocado, banana, cashews, coconut flakes, Americano, O3. (Oops, no veggies!)

M2: Butternut squash and coconut milk soup. Kale. Spinach salad with cold chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, olive oil and apple cider vinegar.

M3: leftover pork tenderloin and roasted veggies.

M4: braised beef with carrots, onions and celery. Mashed potatoes. Beet salad.

Day 15 - halfway there! (Yesterday)

M1: pork and duck orange sausage, spinach salad with boiled egg, avocado, cucumber, tomato. Americano. O3.

M2: leftover pork tenderloin. Cauliflower rice. Roasted veggies.

M3: moroccan chicken thighs. Roasted peppers and zucchini. Butternut squash soup with kale. O3.

Post-wo: Prosciutto. Beet salad.

Yesterday was a busy day so I didn't have time to post.

Did Zumba for the first time - it was difficult to follow the moves, but I had a lot of fun and got a good workout.

Day 16

M1: Pork and duck orange sausage, two boiled eggs, 1/2 avocado, roasted veggies, Americano, O3.

M2: Arugula salad with canned tuna mix (with homemade mayo!), tomatoes, cucumber. Butternut squash soup.

Snack: Banana, cashews, coconut flakes (in a rush, didn't have time for meal)

M3: Pork chop, caramelized carrots, roasted brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes

I finally found some light olive oil to make mayonnaise. It was easy to make and pretty tasty, too.

Archived