Gassy 8 week old?

I'm on day 5 and. Hearing my eight week old. My beginning whole 30 has coincided with a very gassy baby (not a problem until now!) who struggles to poop and now only goes once a day (before it was multiple times). Has anyone else dealt with this? I loved Whole 30 last time I did it (right before getting pregnant) but I don't want me sweet baby to be in discomfort!

So first off, if your baby is breastfed, it is perfectly normal for the poop cycle to slow down after the first few weeks.  My 7 month old still only poops every few days.  When she poops it is a doozy!! 

As for the gas, you have probably increased your veggie intake and some veggies will cause a gassy baby.  For my baby, cabbage, brussell spouts, bok choy all cause excess gas.  My baby passes the gas easily and does not seem uncomfortable so I don't worry to much about it, but you may want to keep a food diary to help you figure it out if it is bothering the baby.  (It could also be eggs, but I have never had problems with that, we had dairy issues for a while, but that has been solved and replaced with cabbage issues, yea fun.  The cabbage farts are not a stinky as the dairy farts)

• 1 month later...

When my babies were that small, they would get gassy too. I would try to avoid the cruciferous veggies until they got a little older. Mine were also very sensitive (diaper rash, skin rash, upset tummy, wakes a lot at night) to many common allergies so I have to avoid nuts and eggs on this diet as well as others like tomatoes, shellfish, gluten in additon to diary even whey and a few others. With my 1st born, I quit all the common allergies after I suspected it was my food hurting her -around 4 weeks. I went vegan and gluten free for a year then started to eat meat again but stayed off dairy, gluten, eggs, nuts, etc. This diet can work to help you and baby be your healthiest but you have to eat lots of nutritious foods - veggies, fish, seeds fruit, oil, prenatals, etc. I have a wonderful natural doctor who was also my midwife who has helped me through this. Colic Calm helps a lot for upset tummies. I get it at Walgreens. My advice is to listen to your body, trial and error and don't stress too much about this diet. Just eat as healthy as possible.

Dairy has been the biggest thing to help my not-quite-7 week old with gas. It also helped me out big time. I was fine with dairy throughout my pregnancy - heck, cheese/sour cream/yogurt were things I was eating daily. As soon as I had my son I was having terrible diarrhea that became increasingly urgent and painful. My son was having worsening gas - arching his back, pulling off while nursing, and crying until he'd pass each one. After cutting dairy both of our symptoms were gone within 24 hours.

For the poop frequency, that's something that can change pretty frequently in little ones. Mine has gone from 3 solid diapers a day to 1-2 bigger ones and several "fart plus" and wet diapers (I think that's self explanatory). The W30 can change your gut bacteria, which in turn can change the bacteria you're sending to your baby through your breastmilk, so it is possible that the change is due to W30 but it shouldn't be something to worry about. If it remains a problem, you can always ask your doctor and just say that you'd been cutting out foods you suspected were a problem for you two but you're still noticing X, does he/she have any ideas?

Archived