Alcohol Dependence

I searched the forums for any topics related to alcohol dependence and I could not find any, so I started this one.

I am on my first Whole30 and currently it is Day 6. That means I have been sober for 6 days as well as complying to all of the other guidelines in the Whole30. I have not been sober for this long in over a year or more I would say, so I am already seeing the relationship all sugar has to my dependence on alcohol. 

I debated starting this topic as it is very personal and I am a proud person, but if there are other people who have struggled with alcohol as a "medication" then we can support each other through this journey to change our lives. I have been wanting to stop using booze as a go to source for comfort for about 6 months as I have depended on it for well over 10 years. Luckily, I am not a "drunk" anymore (thanks to the amazing love and support of my spouse), but I still would grab a six pack on the way home from work. I did start to slowly drink less and I do not have the horrible withdrawals that come from true alcohol withdrawal (been there, done that). 

My goal for this challenge is to realize that when I am craving alcohol it is only the Sugar Dragon flaring its nasty head. I have a great life and I have come a long, long way from where I was 7 years ago. I know how to say no and when to quit, but that urge to drink still exists in me. But already I notice that without sugar in my coffee, sugar in forms of bread and other things, that I don't have the strong cravings I used to and that is amazing to me. 

if anyone else has issues with alcohol, I would love to hear your stories and also we can support each other throughout this. It is only the beginning to true freedom. Not only from food, but from the temptations prevalent in our culture to alcohol. 

Tomorrow is the Super Bowl and it will be the first Super Bowl I can remember where I will not be drinking. 

Cheers to Freedom!

I debated starting this topic as it is very personal and I am a proud person, but if there are other people who have struggled with alcohol as a "medication" then we can support each other through this journey to change our lives.

Hi birdyhill ~

I just wanted to say welcome, and I am glad you decided to post.  There have been many alcohol discussions here ~ you most certainly are not alone.  Many, many people who come here struggle with red wine, in particular.  I think this must be because it appears to be a more acceptable alcohol with many of the Paleo and health gurus.

I personally had to quit red wine completely.  It was a process... it occurred over time... as you said, I "knew" for many months that it needed to go ~ before I had that final moment where I made it happen.

I have not quit alcohol completely, so I won't pretend here that I have.  However, I have conquered an addiction to nicotine after ~20 years off and on with that.  I have also successfully managed to break the cycle with sugar/grains/all processed carbs, for a few months now.  We've had a lot of discussions here lately about sugar, and addiction in general ~ and I can link them for you, if you are interested.  

Join in anywhere, anytime.  I'm glad you're here!  We have some of the best discussions here, when people are willing to really be REAL.

Hi birdyhill ~

I just wanted to say welcome, and I am glad you decided to post.  There have been many alcohol discussions here ~ you most certainly are not alone.  Many, many people who come here struggle with red wine, in particular.  I think this must be because it appears to be a more acceptable alcohol with many of the Paleo and health gurus.

I personally had to quit red wine completely.  It was a process... it occurred over time... as you said, I "knew" for many months that it needed to go ~ before I had that final moment where I made it happen.

I have not quit alcohol completely, so I won't pretend here that I have.  However, I have conquered an addiction to nicotine after ~20 years off and on with that.  I have also successfully managed to break the cycle with sugar/grains/all processed carbs, for a few months now.  We've had a lot of discussions here lately about sugar, and addiction in general ~ and I can link them for you, if you are interested.  

Join in anywhere, anytime.  I'm glad you're here!  We have some of the best discussions here, when people are willing to really be REAL.

Hi Brewer5, thank you so much for responding! I am happy to be here :)

I know each person's struggle is different and detaching our emotional connection to the substances we used to hold dear is easier said than done, so it is encouraging to read how people have grown beyond the control sugar and alcohol have had on us since birth (in many cases). 

What is crazy about my self is that I am actually a trained chiropractor (not currently practicing) and studied medical sciences in including nutrition and natural remedies for many years and I know intellectually what to do to be healthy. I just needed a wakeup call to practice what I preach. I never had weight issues in my life until the last 3 years, and that is honestly what prompted me to do this. But the fact that it is allowing me to really look at my relationship with alcohol on top of food is a major plus.

I too am an ex-smoker (4 years now) so congrats!!! That is a tough one to kick!! 

Links would be appreciated and I am still getting used to the forum setup/format (I searched on my iPhone in mobile mode so I wonder if that is why I could not find any posts). 

Still, maybe others will join in on the discussion and we can hang out without the need for drinks ;)

Links would be appreciated and I am still getting used to the forum setup/format (I searched on my iPhone in mobile mode so I wonder if that is why I could not find any posts). 

Easiest way to search the forum is from Google. Type http://forum.whole30.com: followed by whatever you're looking for, and you'll get links to past discussion threads.

Here is one on alcohol: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/20943-alcohol-judgement-free-zone/

Another on wine: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/13620-wine-an-update-and-some-realizations/

Oh, no ~ don't get me wrong. I am happy to join a new discussion about this. It's just that we've had some other great discussion recently, too ~ and I think you may find it helpful.

Also, sometimes I want to respond but have BIG things to say, and I am on my *tiny* old phone. This is one of those times. :) I'll be back!

What is crazy about my self is that I am actually a trained chiropractor (not currently practicing) and studied medical sciences in including nutrition and natural remedies for many years and I know intellectually what to do to be healthy. 

The chiropractor I have taken my boys to a few times...  She and I have talked nutrition ~ because she and her husband really seem to struggle with the junk.  

I think having the intellectual knowledge, and being able to actually put it into practice ... are two entirely different things.

I've devoted a large part of the past 14 years or so to learning everything I could on the subject of nutrition ~ to be able to keep myself and my family feeling our best, without the need for prescription drugs.  It's what I am passionate about.  I am here because I love to help people.  I've read tons of books.

But all of that does not change the fact that if I decide to have some movie popcorn... I want more movie popcorn.  And I want some chocolate to go with it.  And probably a few sips of my husband's diet soda.  And the next day, I may find myself craving Mexican food.  I may eat chips and salsa until I feel like I could burst.  I may want to take my son to the bakery and get donut holes the day after that -- and we don't even eat gluten.

See, all of that ^ has nothing to do with my knowledge.  It has everything to do with the effect that these foods have on our bodies ~ and our brains, in particular.

An interesting thing to note is that you quit smoking 4 years ago, and you say you never really struggled with your weight until the past 3 years or so.  We often replace one addiction with another... sometimes without even realizing it.  Do you feel like you struggled with sugar and/or alcohol before you quit smoking?  ...I didn't.  

Anyway ~ check out this thread, if you are interested.  Lots of good stuff here:

Sugar Addict

I searched the forums for any topics related to alcohol dependence and I could not find any, so I started this one.

I am on my first Whole30 and currently it is Day 6. That means I have been sober for 6 days as well as complying to all of the other guidelines in the Whole30. I have not been sober for this long in over a year or more I would say, so I am already seeing the relationship all sugar has to my dependence on alcohol.

I debated starting this topic as it is very personal and I am a proud person, but if there are other people who have struggled with alcohol as a "medication" then we can support each other through this journey to change our lives. I have been wanting to stop using booze as a go to source for comfort for about 6 months as I have depended on it for well over 10 years. Luckily, I am not a "drunk" anymore (thanks to the amazing love and support of my spouse), but I still would grab a six pack on the way home from work. I did start to slowly drink less and I do not have the horrible withdrawals that come from true alcohol withdrawal (been there, done that).

My goal for this challenge is to realize that when I am craving alcohol it is only the Sugar Dragon flaring its nasty head. I have a great life and I have come a long, long way from where I was 7 years ago. I know how to say no and when to quit, but that urge to drink still exists in me. But already I notice that without sugar in my coffee, sugar in forms of bread and other things, that I don't have the strong cravings I used to and that is amazing to me.

if anyone else has issues with alcohol, I would love to hear your stories and also we can support each other throughout this. It is only the beginning to true freedom. Not only from food, but from the temptations prevalent in our culture to alcohol.

Tomorrow is the Super Bowl and it will be the first Super Bowl I can remember where I will not be drinking.

Cheers to Freedom!

I searched the forums for any topics related to alcohol dependence and I could not find any, so I started this one. I am on my first Whole30 and currently it is Day 6. That means I have been sober for 6 days as well as complying to all of the other guidelines in the Whole30. I have not been sober for this long in over a year or more I would say, so I am already seeing the relationship all sugar has to my dependence on alcohol.  I debated starting this topic as it is very personal and I am a proud person, but if there are other people who have struggled with alcohol as a "medication" then we can support each other through this journey to change our lives. I have been wanting to stop using booze as a go to source for comfort for about 6 months as I have depended on it for well over 10 years. Luckily, I am not a "drunk" anymore (thanks to the amazing love and support of my spouse), but I still would grab a six pack on the way home from work. I did start to slowly drink less and I do not have the horrible withdrawals that come from true alcohol withdrawal (been there, done that).  My goal for this challenge is to realize that when I am craving alcohol it is only the Sugar Dragon flaring its nasty head. I have a great life and I have come a long, long way from where I was 7 years ago. I know how to say no and when to quit, but that urge to drink still exists in me. But already I notice that without sugar in my coffee, sugar in forms of bread and other things, that I don't have the strong cravings I used to and that is amazing to me.  if anyone else has issues with alcohol, I would love to hear your stories and also we can support each other throughout this. It is only the beginning to true freedom. Not only from food, but from the temptations prevalent in our culture to alcohol.  Tomorrow is the Super Bowl and it will be the first Super Bowl I can remember where I will not be drinking.  Cheers to Freedom!

Your honesty here is so refreshing and revealing. I am on day six of my second whole 30 and alcohol (along with cream and honey in my coffee) is my biggest struggle. After I completed my fist 30 (oct15) drinking just sips of wine gave me an outstanding headache almost immediately and I was genuinely upset that I couldn't enjoy the beverage. It was in that first 30 that I realized I may have a dependency problem. In the few months between then and now I have been able to see the interruptions that drinking can have in my life, most especially with sugar cravings and all over health, like weight, sluggishness, exhaustion, anger and emotional roller coasters. I have committed myself to this second whole 30 with the intention and determination to go beyond just 30 days. I don't think the changes I need to make in my life and for my health can truly be turned over without going beyond a month. At day six I am having a hard time and think that tomorrow I will have to dump my bar cabinet down the drain in order to help me gain some control. I am not a raging alcoholic, nor would I even use the term alcoholic, but I do depend on a drink or two almost everyday to brighten my mood and serve as a coping tool. I am happy you opened this tread. It has given me opportunity to be honest with myself out load. Plus, I can use some of the links that were given in support of your post. I do hope we can encourage and support one another in this trial and triumph.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is over a year old, but I feel the need to respond. I am on Day 13 of my first Whole30. I was scared to death of failure, since I fear I may be an alcoholic.Gin and tonic on coming home from work, followed by 3-4-5 glasses of wine. Weekends were getting out of control, not remembering conversations. I managed to hide it brilliantly, and no one in my family ever suspected just how much I drank. The not remembering things really started freaking me out.

I decided to give Whole30 a try, since a close friend wanted a "buddy" to do it with her. I was also intrigued by the science of it, so I figured what the heck. It'll only last a day or two anyway, and I'll just lie to my friend about the alcohol, and eat the right food.

The night before I started, I had a long talk with myself at 2 a.m., since I never, ever sleep well. I truly hate myself, realize that my health is going to be affected, and I'm missing time with my family by being in a stupor. I can do this. I can give up the booze.

Call it divine intervention, straight up Dutch stubbornness, whatever, but I have not had a drink in 13 days. The booze is all still in the house, and I will pour my husband a glass of wine with dinner, but I have no desire whatsoever to have a drink. I NEVER thought I could do this. I sleep so much better, my hot flashes have diminished (I'm 53), I remember every conversation, if I say something dumb it's not alcohol fueled, but, most importantly, I don't hate myself anymore.

I feel like I have been given a new lease on life. I know there are many people out there who struggle as I did, and I want them to know there are kind, listening ears that won't condemn or judge. I am reading It Starts With Food, and replacing Frankenfood with alcohol. Makes total sense when you understand the science.

Thanks for having this forum. Just writing this has been hugely cathartic. Life is beautiful.

• 5 months later...

I know that this topic is a little old, but I found that one of the most positive and unexpected side effects of my first Whole30 was that it made me take a good hard look at my relationship with alcohol. It also made me realize that so much of my social life depended on the addition of alcohol, and for the first week or two I mostly stayed home because I didn't know what to do with myself. My friends had stopped inviting me to things because they knew I wasn't drinking or eating out, which was tough to handle as well.

I am on day 29, and I am so happy to have had these alcohol-free days to reassess my life. I've found enjoyment in hiking, going for walks, and cooking. I've been able to put myself into social situations without being drunk, and I'm still me. It's truly been one of the greatest parts of this experience for me.

That being said, tomorrow is Day 30. I will no longer have the excuse of being Whole30 compliant to refuse drinks. I am going to drink, I know this, but I think I'm going to limit it to 1 night per week if possible.

Archived