What does WholeLife look like for you?

Kinda hi-jacking this thread, but it's been an interesting read! Thanks team.

I'm just about to finish my first Whole30 (Day 29!) and all I can think about is lasagne made with crispy cheese topping AND ricotta AND cheesey sauce.

I've always been dairy intolerant, with eczema as the main symptom. This Whole30 is the first time EVER I've actually not eaten dairy. Results have been magnificent - both from a skin and weight loss perspective.

The Whole30 team talk about the Sugar Dragon... I think I have a Cheese Dragon that lives inside me. I am so scared to re-intro dairy into my diet, but at the same time I want to know how it makes me feel. That way when I eat it, I know the consequences and can make an informed choice. But I'm scared that I'll fall back into pre-Whole30 habits, like the Friday night ritual of a bottle of red and slab of blue... and then I'll just feel guilty about it.

I've worked so hard these past 30 days, and now I'm ruining my buzz by stressing out about cheese. And the possibility that I'll feel guilty if I eat cheese.

Maybe I'll just stick to the re-intro plan, with a week in-between each addition.

Fingers crossed I'll feel so sick that I'll never ever want to eat cheese again, and my lasagne dreams will disappear.

Rant over,

Crazy Cheese Lady

I think I have a Cheese Dragon that lives inside me. I am so scared to re-intro dairy into my diet, but at the same time I want to know how it makes me feel. That way when I eat it, I know the consequences and can make an informed choice. But I'm scared that I'll fall back into pre-Whole30 habits, like the Friday night ritual of a bottle of red and slab of blue... and then I'll just feel guilty about it.

One thing to be aware of in cheese-land, blue cheese often contains large amounts of gluten (they use it for growing the mould).

You also might want to have a read through this :)http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/foodanddrink/cheese-triggers-the-same-part-of-the-brain-as-hard-drugs-say-scientists-a3141936.html

Ex-Crazy Cheese Lady :)

I am coming into my last week of Whole30 and can already tell that I won't be a moderation person must of the time either -- the thing I find most difficult is how to not snack, but I try to keep it to fruit and nuts and not too much of them.  I plan to think of Whole 30 as my "default" and to make exceptions when there is something special gong on, and to let myself have a glass of wine on weekend nights.

The Whole30 team talk about the Sugar Dragon... I think I have a Cheese Dragon that lives inside me. I am so scared to re-intro dairy into my diet, but at the same time I want to know how it makes me feel. That way when I eat it, I know the consequences and can make an informed choice. But I'm scared that I'll fall back into pre-Whole30 habits, like the Friday night ritual of a bottle of red and slab of blue... and then I'll just feel guilty about it.

I'm a Wisconsin girl, so I totally get the cheese dragon...also a mom to 2 little boys who live off cheese. I did the 10 day reintro with fears I'd also fall off the horse but I really was fine. Just having a small slice of cheese was the most satisfying it had ever been because you really take the time to savor it. 

I agree that if you do have negative symptoms then you should be very aware and not fall back into the habit of over indulging. 

Keep us posted on your reintro phase!

cj

Be prepared for your old favorites to treat you poorly.

I went to a movie last night at a cinema grill. We ate ahead of time, so we wouldn't order much off the menu. I didn't want sugar, so I ordered a basket of waffle fries.

After we got home, I started feeling the indigestion and by the time it was over, I was doubled over in pain on the floor with waves of nausea. I can still feel the stomach cramps this morning.

Waffle fries used to be a favorite snack, but I will happily never go near them again.

This topic has so hit home for me today, yummy cheese. I also have not tried putting cheese back in my diet either, partly because it is all I think about right now!! I am 14 days post whole30 I have tried adding in other foods, just not cheese or gluten yet. I have had no other cravings but keep thinking about a pile of nachos covered in cheese with cheese sauce on the side and more cheese!! So for now I think that I will just keep cheese out of my diet until I know I can control it. I have no idea for sure if dairy itself is a problem for me but I know this addiction is!! Very interesting article about cheese praxisproject, I did not know this!!

I find really interesting how many things I don't want if they don't have cheese on them. Nachos, pizza, you get the idea. If there's no cheese I'd rather eat something else... so they're really cheese carriers.

The interesting thing I found with dairy was when I cut it out completely, I didn't want it anymore, if I have a bit of dairy, suddenly I want All. The. Cheese. Well before that study was done, this reminded me of smoking (which I quit a long time ago). Now that I don't smoke, I never want one, a couple of times I got drunk with old friends visiting (who still smoke) and I had one, always wanted more if I did that. Have none, want none.

This is the thing that really stops me from even thinking about adding dairy back as more than an occasional visitor. I don't like that it can trigger a kind of addictive behavior.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! 

not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I am a week into the post-Whole30 and because of crazy circumstances I had to introduce gluten first. I didn't have stomach problems but I DID have instant headache and kind of an inflammation in my ears and neck. That FREAKED me out .Wow. And i noticed after that if I put any bits of bread in what I ate, I had a headache. 
My reintroduction hasn't been to the book, but I did try popcorn a couple days ago and it didn't give me the same reaction. 

So first of all, i'm freaked out that I might have a gluten allergy. I LOVE BREAD. But now I know that by brain loves bread but my body doesn't really love bread. 

I'm already lactose intolerant, but I'm a cheese fiend too ( just kinda dealt with the consequences). I haven't introduced dairy at all because I know it'll affect me. But I just know that I can't give up pizza for the rest of my life. I did try the new Ben & Jerrys non-dairy ice cream (Because I've been waiting for something like that for 15 years) and it was magnificent. 

I had wine a couple days ago, but what I really should say is I had 2 sips and it was so gross and hurt my tongue and I had to have my friends drink it. WOW that was crazy. I don't really miss drinking tho so I'm not sure I should introduce that. 

This post Whole30 life for me will be bumpy but I really felt so good on the Whole30 that I am committed to being good 75% of the time. It was my first whole30 ever and I learned so much!

I didn't lose much weight or inches so that was a little disappointing but I know I shouldn't base everything on that. ;)

WheW post whole30 life is tough! I was literally scared the 2 days after because I somehow magically had no restrictions all of a sudden. 

Archived