Mandy's First Whole30 Log!!

MandyB22

Hey Everyone,

Tomorrow is my first day  :blink:  

I'm trying Whole30 because I want to get back on track with eating healthy, whole foods.  I hope to clear up my skin, feel healthier, gain more energy throughout the day and have a better understanding of nutrition in general.  I've done the GM diet multiple times and I generally don't keep bad foods in my kitchen so I think the most challenging part will be the 30 day duration for me and also the cravings/social eating.  I've printed everything out but I'm not so good at planning meals or food shopping.  I'm going to buy as I go and exercise when I feel like it, which is usually 2-3 times a week.  I am recovering from a concussion so I don't want to exercise too much.  I am 5"1' and I believe I am currently around 114 lbs.  My lowest weight was 100lbs and my highest was 116-119 lbs that I am aware of.  A healthy body weight for someone like me is between 105 and 110 lbs.  I hope to lose some weight but it is not my main goal in trying this program.  I really hope to gain better control of my eating habits, which really suck lately.  I signed up for the emails and I am excited to start pushing that button!  Wish me luck!

~Mandy

Day 1-'Before' Photos

6:30 AM

*feeling fat and hungry

-Coffee (black)

-1 egg fried in coconut oil

-A few greens

-1 orange

-Fish oil supplement

*EXERCISE-30 squats, 15+15 push ups, 20 sec + 20 sec planks, 4+4 pull ups

10:00 AM

*feeling shaky, headache, getting hungry

-Water

10:50 AM

*feeling satisfied

-1/2 can of tuna

-1/2 avocado

-1/2 cup of greens

12:30 PM

*feeling drained, tired, cold, headaches, and dizzy/foggy

-Water

2:00 PM

-1 orange

2:30 PM

*feeling cold

-Cup of Tazo Mint Refresh tea (decaf)

3:45 PM

*feeling hungry

-3/4 large organic apple

4:30 PM

*feeling hungry

-1/4 large organic apple

5:30 PM

*feeling hungry

-A handful of pistachios and raw almonds
-1/2 can of tuna

-1/2 avocado
-3/4 cup of greens
-Large organic apple

7:00 PM

*feeling full, stomach ache

-Celestial Seasonings Gingerbread Spice tea (decaf)

8:00 PM

*feeling full

-A handful of pistachios

-A Poland Spring Lemon Lime Sparklers water

I woke up at 6 this morning, feeling fat and hungry, haha!  I will admit that I had a diet of pizza, faschnaughts and a beer the night before  :rolleyes: I did my morning exercises, which include squats, push-ups, abs and pull-ups.  I  had a cup of black coffee which had made me way too jittery all day.  For breakfast I fried up a single egg omelette in coconut oil and rolled it up with some greens, followed by an orange.  I took a fish oil supplement and started drinking water when I got to work.  I felt shaky and had headaches all morning.  At 10 I started getting hungry so I took an early break, ran to the store and fixed myself a tuna, avocado and greens salad.  It was really good and satisfying!  Around 12:30 I felt drained, tired, cold, and dizzy.  I think this was from a combination of things such as possibly getting sick, post-concussion symptoms, lack of sleep, cloudy day, stress, etc. At 2:30 a cup of mint tea and an orange made me feel a bit better.  Around 3:45 I was starting to feel hungry again so I had 3/4 of a huge apple.  It filled me up but then about 4:30 I was pretty hungry again.  I felt like my blood sugar was off.  I finished the last bit of apple on my way home.  When I got home around 5:30, I ate a handful of some almonds and pistachios and ate the other half of my tuna, avocado and greens salad.  I also ate another apple and then had a stomach ache.  At 7:00 I had a cup of gingerbread tea which has carob in it and I am not sure if that is an ingredient we can have.  I plan on following this diet by the book but this is definitely a transition day for me!  At 8:00 I caved and had another handful of pistachios and a sparkling water, which unfortunately has 'natural flavors' in it.  I feel like I over did it today but each day is a lesson in itself.  I have a tendency to over eat when I'm stressed so I hope I can overcome that eventually as well.  I'm looking forward to cooking new meals the Whole30 way.  This log is to help me stay motivated, but I appreciate any feedback and encouragement!  I can't forget to take my 'Before' photos...

~Mandy

Day 2-More energy, more cravings but feeling better already!

6:30 AM

*feeling tired and hungry

-Coffee (black)

-2 eggs fried in coconut oil

-A few greens

-Fish oil supplement

*EXERCISE-30 squats, 15+15 push ups, 20 sec + 20 sec planks, 4+4 pull ups

9:00 AM

*feeling shaky, headache, dizzy, sore throat

*feeling horrible and drained

-Water

11:15 AM

*feeling hungry, having cravings

12:00 PM

*feeling hungry

1:00 PM

*feeling hungry...then full

-Diced large organic apple

-Sliced banana

-Handful of pistachios and raw almonds

-A cup of Bigelow Oolong tea

*feeling headaches, sore throat and slightly dizzy

3:00 PM

*feeling satisfied but blah

3:10 PM

*feeling hungry again!

-Water

3:50 PM

*feeling more energized, less droopy

-1/2 avocado

6:30 PM

*feeling energized, sore, headaches when straining

*EXERCISE-Gym-1 hour

-Bike-Fat Burn setting-10 mins

-Squats-Bar+10 lbs-15 reps.-3x

-Glute machine-55 lbs-15 reps. each leg-3x

-Triceps pulldown-20 lbs-12 reps.-3x

-Bicep curls-10 lbs-40 reps. (20 reps. each arm)-3x

​                   -Dumbbell oblique dips-15 lbs-20 reps. each side-3x

-Stretches on mat

-Push ups-15+15

-Abs-Straight-leg crunches, Side plank raises, crunches, bicycles

7:45 PM

*feeling energized, sore, satisfied

9:00 PM

*feeling sleepy and satisfied

-1/2 cup ground venison

-1/2 avocado

-A banana

11:00 PM

*bed

It's Day 2 and I feel much better than yesterday!  I added an egg to my morning omelette and it kept me full for an extra hour at least.  At first I though it might be too filling to have 2 eggs but it was better I think.  As tedious as it is to track your meals and feelings throughout the day, I am definitely finding that it teaches me a lot about my habits and feelings and how they affect one another.  I believe this will help me to make better choices in the future, now that I understand why I do the things that I do and what my 'triggers' are.  I had a hard time waking up this morning but I am making sure that I get my 7-8 hours of sleep a night because it definitely makes all the difference.  If I only get 5-6 hours of sleep each night, by the end of the week I am stressed, tired, cranky and tend to overeat.  I am usually not productive for most of the weekend when I feel this way.  I lowered the strength of my coffee in the morning but it's still making me really shaky.  I think it's because I am eating things that my body is using right away, so my belly is slightly emptier when I drink it.  I will cut back the amount of grounds even more tomorrow.  I need to weigh-in today because I keep forgetting to do it, and it's already Day 2!  I took my 'before' photos today and I kind of hated them.  I definitely want to lose some fat and tone up.  I also need to start meal planning so I stay interested.  There seem to be a lot of great Whole30 recipes and just when I think I'll never be satisfied, I find a new recipe that sounds amazing.  I definitely felt pretty bad for a majority of the day.   I had headaches, felt drained and tired and a little dizzy.  It's hard for me to tell if it's from the diet or my post-concussion symptoms but I think it's a combination of things.  I'm looking forward to feeling good in the weeks to come.  Around 3:00, I started to have that hunger-after-just-eating feeling.  I think this is my blood sugar levels adapting to the diet.  Oh my gosh!  By the way...it's FAT Tuesday/Doughnut Day/Faschnaught Day and I definitely had an instance where I was looking at the doughnuts in the break room (from one of my favorite doughnut shops)  and I was soo sad that I couldn't eat one or 8.  It broke my heart haha!  Then I kind of had an epiphany...the times when I craved things the most was when I was just simply hungry, at meal times, so duh, all I had to do was eat and the cravings went away.  Also, staying away from the bad food is a good plan.  I was kind of staring at them for a minute haha!  I also had a craving right before lunch time when I heard a Burger King ad on the radio for a 'buttery vegetable burger' sounds kind of gross actually, but I could probably make one myself with clarified butter if I wanted.  One way you can look at unhealthy food is by thinking of a food or drink that you never have because you just know its super bad for you.  Mine would be soda.  I never drink it because it is literally all junk.  Then, anytime you think of an unhealthy option that you might be craving, (like doughnuts) you can think to yourself, doughnuts are soda.  (lololol) Anyway, towards the end of the day I felt much better, more energized and happy.  I went to the gym with my sister right after work and it made me feel so good!  I was able to set aside my dinner time cravings, spend some time with my sister and I wasn't even hungry by the time I got home, so I had a nice, light dinner.  I usually go home, eat, lay down, cuddle my kitty and get nothing done after work, so this was a nice change.  My sister, Rachel, will be starting the Whole30 diet soon too and I am excited to have a partner.  I am finding out that when you fully commit to something, even though there are doubts, if you just keep going, eventually you will be ALL IN and the doubts will fade and you will start to believe in yourself.  All it takes is a little bit of effort and stubborness.  :wub:   Thanks for reading!

~Mandy

BTW, I decided that for the next month, I am not going to wear any makeup on my skin except for the usual mascara, eyeshadow and brow pencil.  No foundation for a whole month!  I want to see my skin clear up and I feel much more confident knowing that I can leave the house without feeling like I need to cover up my imperfections.  I also kind of think that people find you more beautiful and genuine when you are your true self.  When you wear too much make-up, people wonder what you look like without it anyway.  Don't get me wrong, I love make-up, I think its an art form, but I don't want to feel like I always need it to be myself.

My next goal is to organize my thoughts better and to stop making run-on sentences.  :rolleyes: 

Day 3- Kill all things.

8:30 AM

*feeling restless, hungry, headache

-Coffee (black)

-2 eggs fried in olive oil

-1 cup of greens

-A large organic apple

-Fish oil supplement

*feeling hungry until 10:30

11:00 AM

*feeling hungry

*feeling hungry

-A banana

-A handful of almonds and pistachios

-1/2 avocado

*feeling of high blood pressure, headache, angry and sad

-A banana

2:15 PM

*feeling-headache

-A cup of Tazo Mint Refresh tea

3:30 PM

*feeling stressed and abdominal cramps

-A banana

4:15 PM

*feeling stressed, tired, headache and cramps

-1/2 avocado

-1/4 cup of ground venison

*feeling tired, headache and stressed

-Half a bag of Jackson's Honest Sweet Potato chips  :( 

-A 'That's It' bar (apple and coconut)

*feeling overly full, cramps, stressed and sad

-Water

-A cup of Sleepytime Green Lemon Jasmine tea (decaf)

*sleep

Day 3 sucked.

I had high hopes for today.  I read the email about how bad Day 3 is for others.  I thought I would feel good today.  I was wrong.  I increased my portions because even though I would get full, I never felt satisfied.  I was on edge and restless but tired.  I missed my doctors appointment and now I have to wait a week to go back.  I also missed a lot of work for that appointment.  I got into a fight with my boyfriend and felt like my blood pressure had spiked.  I had headaches and honestly just wanted to go back to bed.  Work also stressed me out, so by the time I made it to Wegmans, I was buying things I shouldn't have.  All things Whole30 friendly, however, things that I might overeat, like sweet potato chips.  I ate half of the bag on the way home and I am completely regretting it.  At least it's only day 3 and I have 27 more days to get it right.  That was definitely my dinner and my stomach is killing me between that and the cramps.  The abdominal cramps are actually unbearable!  I don't know why I am having these cramps.  Oh well, tomorrow is a new day.

Maybe I should try to focus more on the positive things.

-able to sleep an extra hour

-bought groceries

-had yummy snacks...

~Mandy

• Moderators

Please review the meal template linked in my signature below and work on making your meals match it. You are not eating nearly enough in your meals and you're not eating pre- and post-workout meals like you should be.

Whole30 is about nourishing your body, giving it all the nutrients it needs to function at its very best, and shortchanging yourself of those nutrients will not make you healthy in the long run. I do know that for many people it can be scary to eat as much food as the template calls for, and it may take some time and effort to get there, but if you truly want to be healthy and strong and really thrive in life I'd encourage you to really work toward this.

Day 4-Overeating

*feeling restless, headache, abdominal pain

-Coffee (black)

-A Poland Springs Lemon Lime Sparklers water

-A 'That's It' bar (apple and coconut)

*feeling a little better, full and happy

-2/3 package of lox

-Greek olives

-A banana

-Coconut water

11:30 AM

*feeling stressed

-1/3 package of lox

*feeling bored

-1/4 bag of Jackson's Honest sweet potato chips 

1:30 PM

-A tangerine

-An organic apple

-Some Vico coconut water

-Some Pellegrino mineral water

3:50 PM

*feeling stressed, fat and sad

-A banana

-1/4 bag of Jackson's Honest sweet potato chips

-Greek olives

-Beets

-Can of tuna

-1/2 avocado

-Vico coconut water

-Pellegrino mineral water

*sleep

So it's Day 4 and I took the day off of work which kind of led into a lot of extra snacking.  I have noticed that I have really been eating a lot lately.  I'm not too worried about it because this is the beginning of the diet and I want to stay happy and satisfied, however, I'm hoping that soon I will stop feeling so ravenous and start to cut back (just a little).  If anyone has advice on how to take control of stress eating, that would be helpful.  I think the best way to avoid acting on these impulses is to just work through them.  Keep moving and doing things until the desire subsides.  I officially weighed myself today and although on 2/4 I had weighed 113 lbs, I now weigh 114 lbs.  I won't be weighing myself anymore.  I just wanted to do it in the beginning stages so that I had an idea of where I am.  I also won't be buying chips anymore because they are just too tempting.  For some reason, I am finding it hard to keep up with this log, but I think it will get easier as I go.  Lastly, I need to start cooking up creative meals because I am getting bored of the same old tuna, eggs and avocado combinations.  On a positive note, I am slowly starting to feel better!

~Mandy

Oh, wow, thank you Shannon!  I had no idea!  I thought I was overeating.  I will check out that template and I plan to start making more of an effort to cook the whole30 meals.  I really appreciate your feedback.  Thanks again!

-Mandy

• Moderators

Oh, wow, thank you Shannon!  I had no idea!  I thought I was overeating.  I will check out that template and I plan to start making more of an effort to cook the whole30 meals.  I really appreciate your feedback.  Thanks again!

-Mandy

Definitely not overeating. Whole30 is not like any diet you may have tried in the past in that way -- we want you to eat enough that you're not hungry.

If you don't really like meal planning, you might check out Mel Joulwan's site. In addition to some great recipes, she has a whole page of helpful tips. I really like her weekly cookup idea (check the article "The Method Behind My Madness" and her Whole30 weekly meal plans) -- it's not really a plan for every meal, just a way to prep enough foods for the week so that you can throw together meals throughout the week in minutes.

Day 4-Overeating (continued)

8:30 PM-10:00 PM

*EXERCISE

FitnessBlender 

-At Home Abs and Upper Body Workout-Body Weight Only Upper Body and Core Workout-https://youtu.be/0xnK-XZy2Zw

-No Equipment Cardio: Fat Burning HIIT Workout with Warm Up Cardio (With Low Impact Modifications)-https://youtu.be/MG8DJpN-35g

-Brutal Butt and Thigh Workout-Lower Body Workout Sweatfest-https://youtu.be/SMXMrcz8Grk

I almost forgot to post my exercise from Day 4!  I did 3 FitnessBlender videos as listed above.  If you aren't familiar with FitnessBlender, It's a really great resource for working out at home.  These are totally free exercise video's (YouTube).  You can choose the length of time, the impact level (if you have neighbors below or above you), the muscle groups you want to focus on etc.  I like doing FitnessBlender workouts when I really don't feel like going to the gym or leaving the house, but I really want to exercise.  I encourage everyone to try these once in a while because they really make you sweat and have really helped me in a pinch!  These particular videos I did on Day 4 were not my favorite workouts but you never know what you're going to get when you do these.  It makes it that much more exciting haha

Also, please note that workout videos pose a risk to anyone who may not know how to properly perform the exercises or use the equipment.  It is imperative that you do these exercises correctly, have good form and do your research!  They are free videos, but it is up to YOU to make sure that you don't hurt yourself!

~Mandy

Definitely not overeating. Whole30 is not like any diet you may have tried in the past in that way -- we want you to eat enough that you're not hungry.

If you don't really like meal planning, you might check out Mel Joulwan's site. In addition to some great recipes, she has a whole page of helpful tips. I really like her weekly cookup idea (check the article "The Method Behind My Madness" and her Whole30 weekly meal plans) -- it's not really a plan for every meal, just a way to prep enough foods for the week so that you can throw together meals throughout the week in minutes.

Thanks so much, Shannon!  I will check out her site!

Day 5-Still Adjusting

8:15 AM

*feeling good

-Coffee (black)

-2 hard-boiled eggs

12:45 PM

*feeling stressed

-2 hard-boiled eggs

-1/2 avocado

-A few Greek olives

-Pistachios (salted)
-A few beets

-A banana

-Some sips of Vico coconut water

-A cup of tea

*feeling stressed

-A banana

*feeling stressed

-A cup of tea

4:00 PM

*feeling stressed

-An organic apple

5:00 PM

*feeling stressed

-Ground turkey fried in coconut oil

-Greens

-Coconut aminos

-A few beets

-Pellegrino mineral water

*feeling stressed

-Pistachio's and raw almonds

-Water

-A cup of Wegman's peppermint tea (decaf)

12:00 AM

*sleep

Day 5 was stress-filled.  That's all I really care to disclose about that.  I felt energized all day, but I am definitely eating way too much, way too fast at each meal.  I need to learn how to slow it down.  My blood sugar levels have not evened out yet and I need to not have fruit after every meal, as this promotes my sweet tooth and acts as a dessert after meals.  I'm not trying to restrict myself completely of all things good.  I just want to hone in on what works, what doesn't and what else I can try.  It is a constant experiment, which I find really interesting.  I definitely need to follow the pre and post exercise guidelines as well.  I also have to start meal planning soon.  I am majorly slacking in that area, but I think it's fun to get creative on my own too!  I feel more bloated and crampy than anything else right now.  This is probably from eating so much in one sitting so quickly.  I am finding that this diet is a breeze for me because I know I am eating whole foods that are going to make me feel amazing in the weeks to come.  I also think whole foods are much tastier than any other foods.  I will admit that I miss cheese and coffee creamer/almond milk and gum the most.  I bought a bottle of coconut amino's and it is delicious!  Sweet and coconutty haha.  I don't know what amino's are, but its low cal and a nice flavor change aside from sea salt.  I want to make the mayo, however, I think I might use it too much.  I want to eliminate anything that I find I am overeating, like nuts and sweet potato chips.  You can only overeat so much with whole foods before it really starts to hurt your belly.  I don't plan to make my own clarified butter because I don't want to sneak any stray milk protiens into my diet.  Not worth it!  I'm happy using coconut oil and olive oil.  I probably won't be buying nut butters either, unless it's the small packets.  Otherwise, it is just too tempting to binge on.  I don't feel tempted to eat bad food on this diet, but I do get the occasional craving.  When it happens, I remind myself that cravings only last about 3-5 mins and it goes away that much faster.  It's not worth it to cheat when I've come so far! (that's what she said).

~Mandy

Day 6-Feeling good!

*feeling restless, headache, hungry

-Coffee (black)

-2 egg omelette in coconut oil

-Greens

-Kalamata olives

-1/2 an organic apple

-A Wegman's tangerine lime seltzer water

*feeling energized, still hungry

-1/2 an organic apple

11:45 AM

*feeling too full

-2-3 handfuls of pistachios and raw almonds

*feeling bloated

-A Wegman's lemon seltzer water

*feeling full

-A cup of peppermint tea

-2 hard-boiled eggs

-2 bananas

-2 handfuls of pistachios and almonds
-A Wegman's cherry vanilla seltzer water

*feeling stressed

A salad with:

-Eggplant slices fried in coconut oil

-Coconut amino's

-Greens

-4 mini peppers

-Organic tomatoes

-Sea salt

9:00-10:00 PM

*EXERCISE-2 FitnessBlender videos

32 Minute Home Cardio Workout with No Equipment-Calorie Blasting Cardio Training https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWy_aOlB45Y

Cardio Kickboxing Workout to Burn Fat at Home-25 Minute Kickboxing Cardio Interval Workout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vve4BVTZ0QU

*sleep

It's Day 6 and I'm feeling more energized and better adjusted to this diet.  Although I feel more energized, I also feel more lazy for some reason.  I was stressed on and off today about life in general which doesn't help my eating habits.  I have definitely been eating too much per meal still, especially the nuts!  I won't be buying bags of nuts anymore because they're just too easy to overeat.  Maybe I will still buy pistachios because you have to crack open each one, resulting in less mowage haha.  I stopped taking fish oil supplements today because I happened to read the ingredients and their were way too many additives that I couldn't pronounce.  I was taking the fish oil as per the doctors recommendation for a concussion and also for the omega 3's but I am eating plenty of fish and healthy fats so I will be fine.  I think my large portions and eating too quickly are causing my blood sugar to be off.  So, I need to work on that!  I am always in a rush when writing these logs so that is why it seems like unorganized rambling, sorry!  I think more than increasing the amounts that I eat, I just need to spread it out a bit.  Exercising instantly made me feel less bloated and much better and it wiped me out!  Overall, I am happy to be on the Whole30 diet and I feel pretty great.

~Mandy

• Moderators

Again, I don't think you're eating too much at meals. The fact that you're snacking between meals is a sign your meals are not big enough. When you eat enough at a meal, you'll be able to go 4-5 hours between meals without eating and feel fine.

If you're worried about your blood sugar, quit eating fruit on its own. If you're hungry between meals, have a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables. Fruit on its own is a big hit of sugar which will cause a blood sugar spike, followed by a rapid drop. If you want to have fruit occasionally, have it with a meal that includes adequate amounts of protein and fat to help slow down how fast the sugar from the fruit hits your blood stream.

If nuts are a food without brakes for you, it's fine to leave them out. Have olives or mayo or coconut as fats in your meals, or make other oil or mayo based sauces and dips to add fat and variety to your meals.

Truly, less fruit and more fat will help any blood sugar issues you have. Also, while whole30 is not super low carb, one goal of it is to move from mostly using more easily accessed carbs for energy to more easily burning fat for energy. When you hit the stage where that's happening, you'll have more steady energy throughout the day, more even moods through the day, and you won't be hungry every couple of hours.

Wow, thanks Shannon! All of that info makes so much more sense then what I've been doing! I feel lost sometimes on this diet so thank you for clearing that up. Now I know how to get through the day without blood sugar spikes/drops. It is so nice to have someone to help. Sometimes it takes a little reiteration for me to change my ways, and sometimes I need that little extra push!

-Mandy

Day 7-Game changer

7:00 AM

*feeling hungry

-A cup of tea

-A banana

*feeling good

Omelette with:

-Fried eggplant slices

-Greens

-Coconut amino's

-A cup of tea

*EXERCISE-A FitnessBlender

Ultimate Workout for Belly Fat Loss - Cardio and Abs Workout-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRDtQ7Zmp6c

*feeling good

A salad with:

-Greens

-A can of tuna

-Organic tomatoes

-Coconut amino's

-Sea salt

-Homemade sweet potato chips baked in coconut oil, amino's and sea salt

-A cup of diced cantelope

-A Wegman's tangerine-lime seltzer water

-A black coffee (strong)

*feeling a little hungry

-Eggplant slices fried in coconut oil and sea salt

-1/2 cup of cantalope

*feeling hungry

1:00 AM

*asleep

Day 7 was my best day so far!  I felt energized and not as hungry.  I started the morning out with a good breakfast and an exercise video.  I tried eating a bit slower which definitely helped my stomach.  It feels good knowing that I am a week in!  This diet is very doable, but you have to want to do it!

~Mandy

Day 8-Lazy Day

8:15 AM

*feeling good

-Coffee (black)

Omelette with:

-Greens

-Coconut amino's

-Wegman's orange-lime seltzer water

1:00 PM?

*feeling hungry

-1/2 spaghetti squash with coconut oil, sea salt and coconut amino's

-A few beets

-A leftover omelette with one egg fried in coconut oil, greens and coconut amino's

-A cup of tea

*feeling ravenous

-Baked potato slices in coconut oil

A salad with:

-Greens

-Tomato

-Fried peppers and sweet potato in coconut oil with sea salt and coconut amino's

-A small piece of salmon in coconut oil and tangerine juice with sea salt and coconut amino's

-A small piece of cod in coconut oil and tangerine juice with sea salt and coconut amino's

*feeling hungry

*sleep

Day 8 was laid back.  I ate bigger meals less frequently.  I have been eating slower but I find that I get so damn hungry that I just usually eat too fast!  I stopped with the instances where I eat fruit to fill me up in between meals and my blood sugar seems better.  I still get 2 or 3 cravings a day for random things but I keep remembering that they will fade quickly and they always do.  I really have no desire to eat anything else.  My body does though haha.  My focus today was on protein, fat and veggies and I think I did alright.  Having a hot meal for dinner was really nice and it was nice to have some fish.  Also, the spaghetti squash was great!  I forgot how much I like eating them.  I definitely need to drink more water though.  I've been drinking coffee, tea and 3 seltzers a day and no actual water  :mellow: Today is the first day that I have noticed I may be losing some weight.  I thought I was getting bigger but when I looked in the mirror I looked slightly skinnier.  I hope this is true!  We'll see!  I need to always write down what I eat and the times because I didn't this time and I really had trouble remembering what I had eaten.  I write my logs the morning after, but I want to start doing it same day so it's more accurate.

~Mandy

Day 9-Not Feeling So Good  :wacko: 

9:30 AM

*feeling rested, headache

-Coffee (black)

Omelette with:

-2 eggs fried in olive oil

-Greens

-Tomato

-Coconut amino's

-Wegman's orange-lime seltzer water

11:30 PM

*feeling shaky 

-1/2 cup cantalope

6:00 PM

*feeling hungry again

-Some Greek olives

-Baked sweet potato chips in coconut oil and sea salt

-A few sips of Vico coconut water

*feeling unsatisfied

-Some beets

-Water

10:00-11:00 PM

*feeling stressed

-Baked sweet potato chips in coconut oil

-Vico coconut water

*sleep

Day 9 wasn't great.  I felt drained and shaky all day.  I think I am lacking something.  Maybe water and maybe I am eating too much salt and oil.  I will be going to the store soon so I can have more variety in my meals each day.  I did have a lot of caffeine today too.  I felt very unproductive because I had no energy.  I kept lying down.  I always think I'm eating wayyy too much for my stomach, but then when I do my log, it looks like I'm not eating enough.  This kind of frustrates me.  I also have had headaches all day and I think my blood pressure was up.  I felt sad and stressed all day, with little spurts of crazy energy.  I hope someone can enlighten me on why this might be happening.  It was raining a ton all day, so that might have something to do with it.

~Mandy

Day 10-Bottomless Pit

8:00 AM

*feeling energized

-Coffee (black)

10:30 PM

*feeling caffeinated 

Omelette with:

-Greens

-Peppers

-Coconut amino's

-Sea Salt

-A cup of water

*feeling hungry

*EXERCISE-30 squats, 20+20 push ups, 20+20 extended crunches, 4+4 pull ups

-2 slices of a tangerine

*feeling stressed

-Some beets

-Baked sweet potato chips in coconut oil and sea salt

*feeling stressed

-Beets

-2 hard boiled eggs

-A cup of Wegman's English breakfast tea (decaf)

*feeling-stressed, headache

-A bag of frozen organic veggies (carrots, broccoli and cauliflower) steamed and fried in coconut oil with sea salt and coconut amino's

2:30 PM

-A cup of water

4:00 PM

*feeling-stressed, hungry, restless and sad

-A leftover omelette with:

-Sea salt

-Greens

-Peppers

-Coconut amino's

-2 tangerine slices

5:45 PM

*feeling-stressed

-A huge bowl of venison cooked in coconut oil, bone broth, sea salt, pepper and water

-Steamed onions and peppers

7:45 PM

*feeling-stressed

-Some bites of venison cooked in coconut oil, bone broth, sea salt, pepper and water

-Some bites of steamed onions and peppers

*feeling-stressed

-A cup of water

Today I let my stress get the best of me.  I woke up feeling energized and I was productive for half of the day, but then things went downhill.  The coffee this morning had me really, really shaky all morning.  It was made too strong.  I keep trying to figure out what I want to do with my life and it brings me down because I can't decide.  This causes me to be unbelievably stressed and I eat more to cope.  I was a mess today.  I got really down and sometimes I still have concussion symptoms which also kind of brings me down, because I want to feel back to normal.  I was hit in the head by a soccer ball during a futsal game and my eye was open when it hit.  It hit really hard.  This happened in January and they said I was lucky because I could have lost my vision.  I couldn't see for hours.  Anyway, the effects are still lingering and I can't do much to exercise because even those FitnessBlender videos are shaking my head way too much  :(  I need to learn to walk away and realize when I am just eating out of stress.  It's ok, at least it's healthy foods.  I'm even worse at times when I'm not on this diet.  I still haven't gone to the store but I will be going tomorrow.  I'm excited to finally make my own mayo!  I feel kind of insecure without wearing make up this month, but I think it will be really good for me.  I need to be able to be comfortable in my own skin.  I've been wearing cover-up since I was like 12 or 13  :blink: Anywho, I need to figure myself out, sooner than later.  I haven't stopped eating all day and I did get a headache from the bag of veggies.  Sometimes when I eat too much in one sitting my head hurts where I was hit.  I think too much salt has an effect on it as well.  I have my first family dinner coming up this Sunday and I already told my mom about my diet!  We will make it Whole30 compliant somehow.  I'm not even worried about eating the wrong things because I am 100% committed until the end.  And that is rare for me!  My sister, Rachel and her boyfriend, Steven are starting the Whole30 on Friday so I will have a partner in crime!  I have to just stay positive I think  B) 

~Mandy

Day 11-Energy + Stress

*Went to bed at 12AM last night 

*feeling good

-Coffee (black)

*feeling good

Salad with:

-Greens

-Tomato

-Ground venison

-Peppers and onions

-Coconut oil

-Sea Salt

-Pepper

-A tangerine

3:30 PM

*feeling too full, headache, energized

-A cup of Wegman's peppermint tea (decaf)

-Larabar Apple Pie

-Larabar Cherry Pie

-Larabar Cashew Cookie

-Epic bar beef, cherry, chipoltle

-Artisana Organics raw pecan nut butter with cashews (packet)

-Wegman's coconut lime seltzer water

*feeling stressed

-2 Wegman's organic chicken sausages- Italian with red peppers and Himalayan pink salt

*feeling stressed

-An organic sweet potato baked in coconut oil and Himalayan pink salt

6:00 PM

-Wegman's coconut lime seltzer water

-A Wegman's organic chicken sausage- Italian with red peppers

-A bag of frozen organic veggies (carrots, broccoli and cauliflower) steamed with coconut oil, Himalayan pink salt and coconut amino's

*feeling-full

-A clementine

-A cup of water

9:20 PM

*feeling-stressed, full and fat

-A banana

-A cup of water

I had much more energy today!  Probably due to eating so much yesterday..I did it again today and man do I feel fat.  I'm curious to see if it sticks.  I definitely would consider today a cheat day because even though it was all Whole30 compliant, I didn't stick to my 3 meals a day and I just kept eating!  Maybe it's hormones;) I was productive until maybe 5:00.  It went downhill from there.  I finally made it to the store and I noticed that every time I go to the store I overeat when I get home.  I need a new system.  I definitely should not buy so much junk, because I don't save it for later!  I didn't know how good Larabars and Epic bars were.  Hot damn.  I will not be buying more than one or 2 of these at a shot from now on.  I'm getting better at prepping food but I didn't even give myself a chance today!  I'm actually hungry again.  I think my stomach is sending me mixed signals.  I can't possibly be hungry again!  I need to stay busy so I'm not constantly thinking about food.  I love the Whole 30 diet so much!  I love eating healthy, delicious, natural foods and this diet is helping me in so many ways!  I think my skin is looking better too.  We shall see!

~Mandy

Day 12-Productive

*Went to bed at 1:30 AM

*feeling good but tired

-Coffee (black)

-2 eggs fried in coconut oil with

-Himalayan pink salt

-Spinach

-Kalamata olives

-A Wegman's organic chicken sausage-Italian with red peppers

-An organic Honeycrisp apple

-A large Polar pomegranate seltzer water throughout the day

9:45 AM

*feeling good

-Coffee (black) cold with seltzer mixed in 

-A banana

*feeling hungry and caffeinated 

A salad with:

-Organic ground pork fried in coconut oil, Himalayan pink salt, chipoltle pepper flakes and smoked paprika

-Tomato

-Coconut amino's

-Spinach

-Kalamata olives

-An organic sweet potato chipped and baked in coconut oil and Himalayan pink salt

-2 clementines

-Seltzer water

*feeling full

*feeling stressed and lazy

-Organic ground pork fried in coconut oil, Himalayan pink salt, smoked paprika and chipoltle pepper flakes

-Greek olives

-Vico coconut water

-Wegman's lime mint seltzer water

-A cup of Yogi Raspberry Passion Perfect Energy tea

*feeling big

-A clementine

11:30 PM

*feeling hungry

-A cup of steamed organic veggies in coconut amino's (carrots, broccoli and cauliflower)

*sleep

Day 12 was good.  I definitely drank too much coffee, though it made me productive.  Coffee is a hell of a drug.  :rolleyes: I don't think people realize how much it can affect them in a day.  For me, if I don't turn that energy into something good, it can kind of ruin my day.  I become overly stressed and anxious which causes me to shut down, get depressed and overeat.  I felt really bloated today because of my poor eating habits on Wednesday and Thursday.  I hope to feel better soon because today i ate much better.  I followed the plan this time, eating 3 filling meals with almost no snacking in between.  I drink liquids all day long and have a crazy arsenal now of teas and different waters on hand at all times.  I wonder if sweet potatoes can block your system.  I've been eating one a day.  I definitely notice my skin becoming clearer.  While this diet doesn't necessarily get rid of blemishes as much as I'd like (so far)  it definitely seems to have brightened my skin and perked me up a bit.  I can't wait to see how it looks on day 30!  I like eating the 3 filling meals a day because it is satisfying and keeps me full longer.  It takes my focus away from food after I eat too.  I think I was caught up in the idea of spreading out my food and eating smaller portions as I used to do before this diet.  However, I think with this diet it is so much more beneficial to fill up at each meal so you get that satisfaction  :P.  I definitely have a hard time putting food down when I feel full.  I want to work on this because it will save me food and a belly ache.  There's no reason I should keep eating if I've had enough.  I followed one of the suggestions in the emails about writing down all of your stressors and then  writing down a solution to help eliminate, reduce or cope with each one.  This is a great tool to refer to when you are stressed!  I wonder if I choose to stay on this diet for an indefinite period of time, would my cravings and desires for 'regular' foods ever go away?  I can't help but think that they will.  This diet is life changing!  I love it.  I can eat what I want without guilt.  I can get creative and I will look better then ever before!  I love food straight from the earth and seeing all of these crazy ingredients, fillers, preservatives and colors is a total turn off anyway!  Now my focus is going to be on exercising more.  It will be bikini season before you know it!

Ps.  Whyy am I 'hungry' sometimes, when I know I shouldn't be?  I feel like my stomach/blood sugar is still playing tricks on me.  I'll wait for the stomach gurgle from now on haha!  ^_^ 

~Mandy

Day 13-Almost halfway

*Went to bed at 12:30 AM

*feeling good and energized

-Coffee (black)

-2 eggs fried in coconut oil with

-Himalayan pink salt

-Spinach

-Kalamata olives

-Tomato

-A banana

-A Wegman's orange seltzer water

*feeling slightly hungry

-A salad with:

-Spinach

-Tomato

-A can of salmon

-Coconut oil

-Balsamic vinegar-Had caramel color in it and red wine.  Forgot to read label.  :blink: 

-Sea salt

-Kalamata olives

-Olive oil

*feeling hungry and stressed

-A banana

-A cup of Bigelow peppermint tea (decaf)

-An organic sweet potato sliced and baked in coconut oil and sea salt

-2 hard boiled eggs

-A Wegman's lime mint seltzer water

10:00 PM

*feeling stressed

-A banana

*sleep

Today was great!  I ate good and felt good.  I could barely finish my lunch because I ate early due to work.  I wasn't extra hungry at dinner time, or any meal.  I could have had a bigger dinner.  I felt starving at bed time.  I will have to make up for it tomorrow!  I had my first real mess up today.  I forgot to read the ingredients in the balsamic vinegar and it had wine and caramel color in it.  I'm not thrilled about it but I'm not going to worry about it either.  I plan on eating this way for a long time so there is no need to start over, right?  It was only like a tsp. if that in my salad.  I didn't feel any different from it.  The only thing I have mixed feelings about right now is alcohol.  After my Whole30, I want to be able to drink socially, however, I know it's not compliant and I just wonder if it will mess me up at all if I have a drink or 2 occasionally.  I don't even really like drinking but what if I want to at some point, like at my friends bachelorette party?  Maybe I just won't.  Honestly, nothing good comes out of it.  Just a thought.  Have a good day!

~Mandy

Day 14-An off day.

*Went to bed at 11 or 12:00 am

*feeling lazy

-Coffee (black)

-2 eggs (3 yolks) fried in coconut oil with:

-Sea salt

-Spinach

-Kalamata olives

-Tomato

-Poblano pepper

-2 bananas

-A Wegman's seltzer water

-Sips of Vico coconut water

*feeling slightly hungry and tired

-A salad with:

-Spinach

-Sea salt

-Tomato

-2 hard boiled eggs

-Coconut oil

-Kalamata olives

-A Wegman's lime mint seltzer water

*feeling hungry, tired, headache

-A banana

-A Wegman's lime mint seltzer

*feeling hungry

-A salad with:

-Sunflower seeds

-Lettuce

-Cabbage

-Carrots

-Tomato

-Kale

-Chicken Florentine:

-Chicken breast

-Peppers

-Spinach

-Olive oil

-Sea salt

-Organic tomato sauce

-Onions

-Half an organic sweet potato baked in coconut oil and salt

-2 bananas

-A lemon lime seltzer water

-A cup of peach and Madagascar vanilla tea

2:00 AM

*sleep

Today was not really a good day.  I felt really down and just wanted to crawl back into bed the whole day.  I was working but did not want to be there.  I wish I knew how to set aside my feelings better.  Anyway, I really ate a lot today, probably due to feeling down.  Some days are better then others, but I think that's normal and I usually am not overeating as much as I think.  Definitely have to work on the stress eating though.  Like the emails said, I need to find another outlet/reward besides food.  I have been better with balancing my protiens, fats, fruits and veggies though.  I noticed that bananas are a problem food for me because when they are around, I eat them nonstop.  If I could find a way to manage my stress and emotions, I would be able to control my eating habits and be all around happier.  

~Mandy

Archived