Late to introduce - on Day 2

Kate LeKites

I started my Whole30 yesterday. I am the only one in my household of 5 who is doing it. I have been dabbling in Paleo eating principles for a while, but decided I needed to commit to the 30 days for myself and not try to get everyone on board at once. I get a little discouraged by trying to find things everyone will eat, as well as the cost (I know, I know, you can do Paleo on a budget, but filling the gaps of processed foods with whole foods DOES increase my grocery budget).

I have a few goals I hope to achieve with the Whole30. First and foremost, I need to release myself from my sugar addiction! I also want to build better stores of Whole30 approved foods for those times when I must eat NOW. Chocolate, cheese or yogurt seems to be my go-to for quick satiety.

As for health issues I am addressing, my hormones need some work. I have not gotten a definitive diagnosis, but I suspect I have a progesterone deficiency or estrogen dominance. My cycle has been whacked for 20 years now. I was also previously diagnosed with adrenal fatigue. I feel that my thyroid has been effected as well, although my bloodwork is normal. I never feel rested or very motivated to be productive. I tend to have very dry skin and have trouble losing fat from my midsection. It's hard to flesh out which part(s) of my endocrine system are functioning less than optimally, but I'm sure one imbalance has dominoed into another and another. In addition to cleaning up my diet, I am cleaning up my toxin/hormone disruptor exposure by making my own personal hygiene and cleaning products as much as I can.

Another issue is gallstones. I have been able to flush a fair number but started having attacks again recently. I haven't searched this forum yet to see if there is info on this issue, but will definitely do so.

Mentally, I'm hoping to improve my focus and memory. Emotionally, I'm hoping to better handle stress and have a more steady mood.

That's it in a big nutshell! I wish everyone great success with their own Whole30 journeys!

Good luck Kate. Doing the WHole30 definitely has helped me to kick some of my sugar addiction although I am still working on it (eating some sugary foods seems to kick off a round of poor eating) but I am finding it easier to get back on track faster as I go along. I also found I had a more 'steady mood' as you say.

Have fun with it.

girl, I felt like I was reading my own description! I have the same health issues. I'm hoping I can heal from the inside out too. I too am cleaning out my chemical supplies in my house and converting to natural for cleaning and hygiene. My cycle has been crazy stupid for yrs and yrs now. My thyroid is jacked, I have weight around my mid section that wont budge and has been getting worse rapidly, all the symptoms you desrcibed I hear you! I'm on day 5 taking the bull by the horns! Time to fix our bodies!

Thanks, everyone! I forgot to mention I tend to be anemic, frequently suffer from minor back pain, and have occasional rosacea outbreaks as well. I used to think I was so healthy. Funny how we just pass some things off as nuisances rather than recognizing that our bodies are not operating optimally.

Mich, I have the same problem with one bit of sugar setting me off on a binge. Even now, I think about how often I'll let myself have sweets once I'm done with this process. As long as I think like that, I know I'm not over the hump.

Wholelottachange, I look forward to hearing your results! I may have to extend to a Whole60 or 90. Right now I work night shift and it means a step back in balancing hormones every night I don't sleep. I'm hoping to switch to days in the next month or two.

LMT_582, so far so good with avoiding the bad things my family eats. I guess there will come a time when I'll have to resist temptation out in the world, so I'd better get used to it now. :) I won't put the rest of them through a Whole30, but I will switch all of us to a Paleo diet in the near future.

Archived