Day 10, still struggling with breakfast

So a little background on me pre-W30: I've never been much of a breakfast or morning person. I know, that's really not good, but most days I was having a bagel with cream cheese or a breakfast bar, etc., at my desk in the morning. I've never really felt very hungry in the mornings.

On W30, I've been really, really trying to force myself to eat more with breakfast (or Meal 1), but it's been hard. I typically get full very fast, so two hard boiled eggs, avocado and a side of veggies makes me feel like I'm going to explode. I know I should probably change things up and start thinking of it as Meal 1 and eat something different, but it's a weird mental hurdle for me right now. I've been reading a lot in the forum today and see what it's suggested that we eat within an hour of waking up, which I guess means I should try this... I think I waited a bit too long to start eating today and I feel a little groggy. Mornings are just the worst, though! ;)

Anything else I should be trying?

What I almost always suggest to people who are having issues with meal 1 is to create a template meal 1 and eat what they can making sure you visit the food groups evenly (don't just eat your favorite thing). Once you feel like you can't eat anymore pack it up and finish it when you feel like you can eat again. Your body should eventually adjust to this. Also if you are having coffee make sure you have it after you eat so you don't suppress your appetite.

• Moderators

I'd just point out that for me, for some reason, hard boiled eggs are different than other eggs. Sometimes when I eat them, I can feel bloated and overly full, even if I've eaten less of them than I'd eat of scrambled eggs. It seems to be worse if I overcook them, but even when I manage to get them just right I can have issues with them. I rarely have them as my only protein source in a meal because of this, it seems to be better if I have a hard boiled egg with other options. I notice it even more if I'm combining the hard boiled eggs with lots of raw vegetables, which can have similar effects. 

If you need something you don't have to cook in the morning, try fritattas or egg muffins or breakfast casseroles, any of which can be eaten hot or cold and will keep for several days in the fridge, or skip the eggs entirely and keep cooked meatballs, burger patties, chicken, or other protein options on hand.

What I almost always suggest to people who are having issues with meal 1 is to create a template meal 1 and eat what they can making sure you visit the food groups evenly (don't just eat your favorite thing). Once you feel like you can't eat anymore pack it up and finish it when you feel like you can eat again. Your body should eventually adjust to this. Also if you are having coffee make sure you have it after you eat so you don't suppress your appetite.

One thing I've been doing right: waiting on the coffee until after I'm done eating. :) Thanks for the advice!

I'd just point out that for me, for some reason, hard boiled eggs are different than other eggs. Sometimes when I eat them, I can feel bloated and overly full, even if I've eaten less of them than I'd eat of scrambled eggs. It seems to be worse if I overcook them, but even when I manage to get them just right I can have issues with them. I rarely have them as my only protein source in a meal because of this, it seems to be better if I have a hard boiled egg with other options. I notice it even more if I'm combining the hard boiled eggs with lots of raw vegetables, which can have similar effects. 

If you need something you don't have to cook in the morning, try fritattas or egg muffins or breakfast casseroles, any of which can be eaten hot or cold and will keep for several days in the fridge, or skip the eggs entirely and keep cooked meatballs, burger patties, chicken, or other protein options on hand.

I did egg cups last week and loved them... Think I'll go back to that. They're so good! And maybe if I take a few days off from boiled eggs, I'll enjoy them more in salads again :) Thank you, seriously, for the advice!

I batch cook and do 4 servings of each "dish" I prepare. Then I just eat one of those servings for breakfast and throw another in my lunchbox. I try to have at least two things to choose from at each meal. E.g., I made baked salmon with asparagus for dinner Saturday night and had it again for breakfast Sunday morning. Then I grilled chicken for protein salad at lunch yesterday and made carne asada with chunky guac and greens for dinner. So my refrigerator now has a few meals worth of all those to choose from and if I don't feel like cooking tonight, I don't have to.

If you like the portability of egg cups, you can also do some veggie, hash or potato "muffins" (baked in a muffin tray). Throw in a container of mayo and you're good to go :)

I'm an ex-breakfast-skipper, you can totally do this, it just takes time for your body to adjust.

Archived