Baking soda

Summeradele

Be careful with baking powder, it can have very different ingredients, some include gluten, corn, rice and other non compliant things. I did find some compliant stuff eventually in a health food store.

For crispy chicken, you can do it just with the baking soda. I've done it with wings :) They turned out great, just don't overdo the baking soda (some people find they can taste it). Or you can "dry" wings in the fridge uncovered before oven baking. I like them baked with ghee and Frank's Hot Sauce (read your labels, my Original bottle is compliant, but many Franks products aren't, especially the Wings ones).

Yeah I'm pretty upset. On day 8 today and had wings yesterday for super bowl. I was not feeling well after we ate yesterday. (Bloated gasy etc) and I was trying to think of what could have caused it because I worked hard to make sure all my appetizers were whole30 compliant. I thought about it today wondering if I could even have baking powder and then when I looked at the can that was used and noticed it had corn starch in it I guarantee now that's what caused my stomach pains. Very frustrated I have to start over. It's my second round of whole30 this year and was really pushing to finish on time with no start overs.

I find magnesium really helps me if I've ingested grains I didn't want to. It doesn't help directly, but seems to help reduce the inflammation.

Sometimes some salt too. Lots of liquids. Bone broth if your stomach is a bit squeamish.

Ginger is really good for nausea but I find it doesn't do much for the pain side of things, but the liquids do. Sometimes a soak in the bath as well.

- side note, while it seems pretty likely it was your unwanted corn starch, always beware side pain and consider whether it might be a sneaky appendix or other organ issue. If it continues to get worse, see a doctor :)

A lot of people like unflavoured/unsweetened Natural Calm (always read the label for ingredients).

I can't get it where I am in Australia. I take a magnesium pill called MagMin. I had taken this one before my first Whole30 and haven't felt any need to switch.

If you have a sensitive stomach, you may want to read on the forums as some brands/types are more reactive than others.

Most people take them at night as they both help with sleep and can also get things moving downstairs, which people don't always want during the day.

A bit of bloating is expected in the early stages (have a look through the timeline) but if it feels wrong or very uncomfortable, you might need some tweaks. Some people have too many nuts, high FODMAPs or raw foods and these can increase bloating.

Some people find the template helps with bloating as well as other Recommendations (not the same as Rules).

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

Thank you very helpful. I'll do some research! Also, this may be TMI but I'm on day 11 and have not been having regular bowels. I think it's been about 2 days now. I have not experienced that on my previous whole30's. I actually didn't even think about it till last night so it's not causing pain or discomfort but I can tell I'm slightly bloated. Any recommendations with this.

Also I'm still getting used to this forum. Is this an instance where I should have started a new feed?

Thank you very helpful. I'll do some research! Also, this may be TMI but I'm on day 11 and have not been having regular bowels. I think it's been about 2 days now. I have not experienced that on my previous whole30's. I actually didn't even think about it till last night so it's not causing pain or discomfort but I can tell I'm slightly bloated. Any recommendations with this.

Also I'm still getting used to this forum. Is this an instance where I should have started a new feed?

Yes, start a new thread in the Troubleshooting section, and post the past few days of your meals, portion sizes and water consumption. From there, we can give you more specific feedback on possible tweaks.

Archived