Sheri's Whole 30 - Sept. 17 Start

sjalderman

Well, here I am on Day 9. So far, I've been dealing with some MAJOR fatigue, but today is the first day that I don't feel like I could fall asleep at my desk. Woo hoo!

This is my second full attempt at a Whole 30 (my first one ended after 14 days). I'm doing this in conjunction with a German Body Comp program at my Crossfit Box, and I've seen some people that have tried this before that are looking really awesome now. There is one girl in particular that had a similar body type to mine, and now she is looking amazing - I keep picturing her results as a motivator.

Obstacles I've overcome over the last 8 days:

• Extreme fatigue - I was soooo tempted a few times to just eat some sugar to get a little quick energy, but I didn't!
  • Two lunches out with coworkers - chose salads at both, even though there were delicious items (very unhealthy) that I would have rather eaten.
  • Happy hour meeting - I just drank soda water and ignored the unhealthy snacks on the table.
  • Dodged a binge yesterday - I made the mistake of going to the grocery store while hungry (looking for a new cutting board), and wandered the aisles of all of the things I really wanted to eat, like gluten-free cookies, chocolate, etc. Somehow, I managed to walk out without buying anything!
  • Watching football at my favorite pizza place - I even had to sit and watch my boyfriend drink two beers (mmmmmm, beer!) and eat a whole pizza while I ate a pathetic-looking salad and drank soda water.
  • A stressful long day at work, where I wasn't 100% prepared with food for dinner. I ate what I had at my desk (pistachios and raisins) and called that dinner.
  • I've also managed to avoid the candy dish and unhealthy vending machine food for 7 full work days!

I've got a big obstacle coming up with a trip to visit my boyfriend's family in KC. They love beer, so that will be really difficult. At least the BBQ restaurants should have something I can eat! :)

1/3 of the way there! Today is day 10, and I'm feeling better and better about this. I had so much energy last night that I didn't want to go to bed at my usual (early) time. I really felt the urge to go running, but I had just come back from my Crossfit class, and didn't think that two workouts in one evening were a good idea - I knew I'd be really sore!

Yesterday, I ate:

-Breakfast - one egg, one sausage link, 2 cups sauteed mushrooms in ghee

-Lunch - one cucumber, one red bell pepper, a serving of chicken and some bone broth from the Cultured Caveman, a Paleo food cart!

-Snack - lots of dried mangoes - definitely need to stop buying these. My stomach clearly doesn't like them, but I can't stop myself if they are in my possession.

-Dinner (after workout) - 3 hard-boiled eggs, 1 cup cauliflower

I definitely felt satisfied with my meals - I am not as hungry as I would normally be between meals, which is nice!

Only 20 days to go! :)

Just a note (for myself mainly) - I need to remember my successes, according to my boyfriend, so here is one.

We had a potluck BBQ at work today. I brought a veggie tray, and snacked on that until the burgers were ready. I took mine without cheese, put it in between some pieces of lettuce and added a tomato and made a wrap! I also had a small salad on the side. There were other tempting goodies on the table, but I skipped them all. Toward the end of lunch, everyone around me was eating brownies that looked AH-MAZING, so rather than eat one or torture myself by staring at them, I just walked away and went back to my office.

Remove myself from the situation if I absolutely have to. That helps!

Day 11!

Here's what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: 1 egg, 1 breakfast sausage, 2 cups mushrooms sauteed in ghee

Morning Snack: 1 cup frozen strawberries (unsweetened, of course!)

Lunch: approx. 4 oz. hamburger, lettuce, tomato, small salad, 2 red bell peppers

Afternoon Snack: approx. 20 pistachios (I was really snacky today!)

Dinner: Stir fry with mushrooms, zoodles (zucchini noodles), coconut aminos, and 2 oz. grass-fed steak

Dessert: 1/2 cup raisins

So yesterday, I was a snack monster, as you can see. I think I was just sad that I had to pass up the goodies at the BBQ, and made up for it with W30-approved snacks. This was also my first time trying zucchini in a while (a veggie I swore I didn't like), and I think I might be changing my opinion. I'm sure the coconut aminos had something to do with it, but I was "almost" convinced I was eating spaghetti. Plus, using the julienne peeler was super fun!

I was a little less energetic on Day 10 than on Day 9 - we'll see if I can turn that around today! I did notice that I woke up early (about an hour before my alarm), but just kept on sleeping on Day 10 and today. So maybe I need to just get out of bed as soon as I wake up naturally, even if it is early. I'm going to make a concerted effort to do that tomorrow and through the weekend!

Archived