Almost done and feeling weird about it...

Hi. I'm on my first whole30, day #25. Overall it's been a good experience. I haven't been on a scale, (per the whole30 guidelines) but I know I have lost weight and inches. My clothes fit. (In fact I am into clothes that I haven't worn in several years) My skin and hair look great. I sleep well. I feel good. Cooking and eating this way has been challenging at different points during the last 25 days, but honestly I think we have eaten very well. My husband, who is doing this along with me at my request, says I have 'rocked' this! The strange thing is that despite all of the positives, I am so ready to be done! Now that we are only a few days away, I just can't wait to go back to eating paleo, rather than whole30. It's not that I would never do this again, and I don't think I am having any actual cravings. I am just looking forward to a glass of wine, a small taste of a sugary treat, an item made with a paleo type of flour, a bite of cheese, etc. Not every day or in large quantities, but sometimes. Is this normal to feel? Am I crazy to want to eat those items that I know aren't great for me, cause me inflammation, affect my insulin resistance, etc.? I am healthy and don't have medical issues, but my immediate family (and my husbands) are loaded with health issues that we wish to avoid if we can. Was I supposed to want to eat like this permanently? Just wondering what others think and feel at this stage...

I did my first Whole30 August 1 of 2011. I kept going for much longer and then started having a naughty thing (only naughty while on Whole30) once in a while. I pretty much continued that up until this last Whole30 (Sept 1). I really feel so much better and for the most part, I have zero desire to add dairy, grains or sugar. I still read labels to avoid the bad 4. I really just have developed these habits as a lifestyle. The people that I see living the lifestyle seem to choose to have maybe one off road a week. I like that philosophy. If I chose to have 2, then so be it, but it's doubtful. It's simply how I enjoy and choose to eat now. I still don't do nuts or dried fruits. I've never really liked eating like a squirrel, so that's no problem. Give me good protein, yummy fat and tons of veggies and I am a happy camper. :wub:

I finished last week. The first day, I had a tiny amount of honey. It gave me a headache. I went back to the plan. Friday, I had pizza with light cheese on a gluten free crust. I felt aweful the next day. I have had a few things that haven't bothered me. I have a dairy problem so I will continue to avoid that. My kids were having bean burritos the other day. I had some beans. No adverse effects, but it was a tiny amount. I'm concentrating on avoiding processed food. I have found chocolate without Soy lechiten in it. So far, I have been satisfied with a small amount. I think you have to figure out what works for you. I don't want to give up the quality of sleep that I've gained. The hardest thing for me to deal with is the convenience of fast food. Sometimes I just don't feel like cooking. I'm working on that. I'm sticking with paleo eating. The nice thing about Whole 30 is that you will be able to tell when your body doesn't like something. Good luck!

Well I won't stop eating paleo. That's a lifestyle change that I made 9 months ago and I will continue for life. I also think I have learned a lot of new ways to prepare meat, veggies, and fruits while on whole30, and I will continue to use those ideas in the future. I guess I just also miss some of the paleo foods that aren't whole30. Like a little added natural honey. Or sunbutter. Or dairy free chocolate chips. Or almond flour. Am I making sense? I know it's a personal choice, what to add and what to avoid. I just wondered if others have felt as I do. That they want to enjoy some of those other things, and not just to eat whole30 foods constantly.

Well I won't stop eating paleo. That's a lifestyle change that I made 9 months ago and I will continue for life. I also think I have learned a lot of new ways to prepare meat, veggies, and fruits while on whole30, and I will continue to use those ideas in the future. I guess I just also miss some of the paleo foods that aren't whole30. Like a little added natural honey. Or sunbutter. Or dairy free chocolate chips. Or almond flour. Am I making sense? I know it's a personal choice, what to add and what to avoid. I just wondered if others have felt as I do. That they want to enjoy some of those other things, and not just to eat whole30 foods constantly.

Well, you certainly can have them if you choose. M and D say often that it's not meant to be a Whole Forever. I just do really well on it, so why fight it? I also will have something if I choose to. My friend has a wood burning pizza oven in her kitchen. It's so awesome. Every winter, she has a pizza party. It's super fun and the pizza is amazing...I'm telling you right now I'll be having a piece. No regrets.

At the end of your Whole30, there is a transition plan that can help you discover what bothers you or doesn't bother you. I plan on following that to really figure out what foods are more troublesome than others. I have a feeling it will be dairy and grains. Don't know about beans, but I am sort of planning on not adding them in. I don't miss them much.

I didn't know about the transition plan... where do I locate it? Sounds like it might be helpful for me too as I finish my 30 and consider how to continue forward.

Did you buy the book It Starts With Food? It's in there. I have the hard copy and the Kindle, so if you have one or the other, I can find the page number unless a Moderator speaks up before I find it. :)

Archived