Avocado Secrets?

bigmamabird

I stared Whole30 today and had my first ever Avocado with breakfast.  Blurgh!!

Are there any secrets to making this bland devil food more palatable or am I going to just have to choke them down and be a grownup?

I scoured Pinterest to find out how to pick a good, ripe one and this one did seem to be in the illusive avocado ripeness sweet spot.  And I did that fancy cube it in the shell then scoop it out with a spoon trick.  I just can't imagine how I'm going to eat these things plain for 30 more days.

Help!

You really don't have to eat anything you don't like for 30 days - go with other fat options like home made mayo & mayo based sauces, ghee/clarified butter nut/seed oils & nut butters (in moderation only), olives & olive oil, coconut oil/milk/cream/manna/flakes/flesh, duck/goose fat, tallow, schmaltz, lard or fatty cuts of meat like brisket, ribs & chicken thighs (skins on)....

There are lots of other good fat options out there!

I cannot eat even the most perfectly ripe avocado without salt. I like to mix cubed avocado with similarly sized cuts of cucumber and tomato and Tessamae's Southwest Ranch or a quick dressing of lemon/lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and chili powder. 

But as jmcbn said, you don't have to have avocados if you don't want to :)

• Moderators

I mash avocado with lime juice and use it as the base of salmon salad. Sometimes I mash avocado with lime juice and spread it on top of eggs, chicken, or roast. I never just eat avocado. Sometimes I go for months without eating any avocado at all.  :)

When I'm dicing it up I just think of it as creamy texture (like, I put it on top of chili like someone else would put sour cream or cheese). When I make guac, it has to have plenty of salt and lime! But as others have said - no need to eat avocado if you don't want to. Homemade mayo is my personal favorite added fat source.

Archived