5 days in the hospital - HELP

grapebug

Starting on Monday (my day #15), I will have to spend 5 days in the hospital with my youngest daughter.  I have been doing so good and don't want to mess this up but am not sure I can survive without my own food?  Any tips or suggestions?  The kicker is I come home for 5 days and then go back to the hospital with my oldest for 3 days.  Didn't know any of this when I chose Feb 1st start date.  ***SIGH***  I am planning to take fruit, almond butter, maybe a few veggies to eat the first couple days but I won't have a fridge or anything.  HELP!!

I'm sorry, OP ~ I accidentally "liked" your post when I meant to like Tom's. There is nothing I like about you having to be in the hospital with your kids for any reason. :(

Really... Let your focus be on them. You do not need the added stress of this, at all. Make the best choices you can to fuel your body during this difficult time -- which would be PROTEIN + VEGGIE + FAT for every meal and mini-meal. This will keep you sharp, calm, nourished, and satiated.

You can come back to Whole 30 for a strict 30 days at any point in the future. You've learned a lot so far -- and this time is never wasted. It will help you along your journey the next time.

Best wishes & happy healing to you and your children.

• Moderators

You could always take baby carrots, celery, bell peppers, canned sardines, tuna, olives, etc. Even if you end up having to eat something off-plan, you'll at least have some healthy things with you to eat as well.

But Tom's advice rings true. You're going to be under some stress and the pressure of trying to stay Whole30 may take energy you need to devote to caring for your child. If you want to do it in spite of that, you should feel free to do so, but be honest with yourself if it becomes too much. And be gentle with yourself if you do get derailed.

My daughter was suddenly hospitalized during a Crossfit paleo challenge I was doing once and I was able to survive it without going off course. It takes some serious dedication, but it sounds like you want to be. You should be able to bring in food and even have access to refrigerators/microwaves. If you have the time to, make two-three big batch meals. Like a massive amount of chili, complete with added fat and sweet potato or squash (if you want), roast a turkey breast and prep salad fixings, and/or another single pot meal like a pot roast with root veggies. If someone can refresh (or you can) your supply, you could leave half of it at home so you're bringing less. 

Also beef jerky (if you can find some), canned tuna/veggies/fruit and nuts are definitely a good idea for this as well. It may be boring, but it will keep you on track. 

I have had to bring food due to allergies during both my births and every hospital I've dealt with has been very accommodating with refrigerator space. I did have to spread my stuff among two refrigerators during my second birth, but no one complained that it was a problem. Hopefully, if you choose to go this route, you will not run into any problems with the hospital. 

But, it also seems completely reasonable to say this is not worth the stress at this time and suspend your Whole30!

I wish your family well!

Archived