I want to do this right

HEDGEHOG8

Hello,

So I have never ever done the reintroductions before. I have researched and researched. My theory is I still need to lose a whole lot of weight so I don't want to reintroduce things I am going to become addicted to and release the sugar dragon ( eek )

I want to reintroduce

Dairy - yogurt, cottage cheese

Dairy goats - cheese

Legumes - peanut butter, humous

Gluten containing grains - wheat cereal, rye crackers, soda bread, Oats

Non - gluten grains - tortilla chips, brown rice,

Where does cous cous or quinoa fit in?

I have read through the reintroduction schedule and tried to develop my own - I am aware that 2 days are between each and it will take longer than 10 days. It will probably take about 18 days.

Thank you in advance

• Moderators

Hello,

So I have never ever done the reintroductions before. I have researched and researched. My theory is I still need to lose a whole lot of weight so I don't want to reintroduce things I am going to become addicted to and release the sugar dragon ( eek )

I want to reintroduce

Dairy - yogurt, cottage cheese

Dairy goats - cheese

Legumes - peanut butter, humous

Gluten containing grains - wheat cereal, rye crackers, soda bread, Oats

Non - gluten grains - tortilla chips, brown rice,

Where does cous cous or quinoa fit in?

I have read through the reintroduction schedule and tried to develop my own - I am aware that 2 days are between each and it will take longer than 10 days. It will probably take about 18 days.

Thank you in advance

Really pay attention not just to any physical reactions, but to things like mood and cravings and just the way you're eating these things. Peanut butter, for instance, even when it's not sweetened at all, is something that I will eat straight out of the jar in a way that is definitely not healthy, and tortilla chips with a really good salsa are also a thing I can overeat pretty quickly without even thinking about it. I don't set out to eat them this way, but sometimes once I start with them, it's really hard to stop. I guess I'm just saying even though we thing of a sugar dragon around here, there are plenty of foods that aren't necessarily sweet that can cause similarly unhealthy reactions. 

Also, the two days between each are a minimum -- if you're unfortunate enough to have a reaction that leaves you feeling icky for more than two days, wait til you're feeling better before you move on to your next reintroduction, so you're not confusing a continuing reaction from one item with a new reaction to a different item.

Thanks for that guys - I don't think I'm gonna introduce peanut butter as you're right I isn't a healthy choice. I am going to include peas instead :-)

After the reintroductions can you then combine things together?

Am I also right in thinking you don reintroduce sugar on its own? X

• Moderators

After you've done all the reintroductions, then you can have whatever you choose to have, but don't have any reintroduced food until you're done with all the reintroductions -- so even if you notice no reaction to dairy, don't have bread and butter on gluten grain day, or cheese and tortilla chips, or whatever. 

Some people try to do a sugar reintro day, adding sugar or honey to tea or coffee or to a salad dressing. For many people, it gets reintroduced in one or more other reintroductions, like ice cream on dairy day or a cookie on gluten grain day. You can do it however you want to, but many people do find that introducing sweet stuff makes them crave more sweet stuff, so watch for that. 

"tortilla chips with a really good salsa are also a thing I can overeat pretty quickly without even thinking about it. I don't set out to eat them this way, but sometimes once I start with them, it's really hard to stop."

Hi Shannon,

I've been reading through a lot of these posts as I am coming to the end of my W30 and start reintroducing foods on Monday. In regards to eating things that make us crave more, I'm planning on having corn chips and salsa as part of my reintro - would you recommend portioning out a certain amount of chips or should I rely on willpower/my body to know when enough is enough?

Thanks,

Holly.

• Moderators

Hi Shannon,

I've been reading through a lot of these posts as I am coming to the end of my W30 and start reintroducing foods on Monday. In regards to eating things that make us crave more, I'm planning on having corn chips and salsa as part of my reintro - would you recommend portioning out a certain amount of chips or should I rely on willpower/my body to know when enough is enough?

Thanks,

Holly.

I'd either portion out a few, if you're eating them before a meal, or I'd wait til I'd eaten part of a meal, eat some chips, finish the meal, and then if I wanted some more chips have some more. Relying on willpower wouldn't work as well for me, because I'd probably end up eating more than I really planned to.

You probably also want to eat them mindfully, so savor each chip and try to think about whether you want another, don't just sit and eat them without thinking.

• Moderators

Potatoes are actually allowed on Whole30 now, as of July 2014 -- here's more about that.  If you haven't been eating them and want to reintroduce them, just pick a day to have them. You could have hashbrowns at breakfast, home baked potato chips (or if you can find store bought with no weird ingredients, that could work) or roasted potato pieces with lunch, and a baked potato at supper -- but if you are diabetic or have insulin issues, you might really want to pay attention, as that would be a lot of carbs if you normally just have a serving or so of starchy vegetables a day. For most people, they don't cause problems, though they are nightshades, so if you have trouble with other nightshade vegetables, you might notice issues.

How did I not know this - aw well don't think it would have made much of a difference ( fingers crossed ) I need to lose weight mostly so cutting them out gas probably helped with that.

Woke up this morning thinking about where sulphites and oils (not to cook with in foods ) fit into the reintroductions.

Thanks again this is really helping me make some solid plans bout testing and adding foods back into my diet sensibly this time :-)

If you remember any "no" products from your Whole30 compliant product hunting, you might remember something that just had sulphites, otherwise it was compliant.

Olives local to me sometimes have them, and dried apricots (although watch them with your sugar dragon - maybe use in a recipe).

So I have tried the reintroductions - not completed yet fully

Dairy makes me grouchy and really really tired

Gluten makes me want more gluten and have more symptoms than I can list, stomach ache, back ache, bloating and then the following day I wanted sugar ( fruit and more fruit!!!)

That's it I think I'm done with them

I also got on the scales and I put on 3lb so the bloating and obviously water retention??

What do I do now?

Hope everyone's doing ok - happy eating :-)

This post was really helpful - thanks so much for the good conversation! From what I can tell, it doesn't matter what order you re-introduce things in, right? As long as you do them one at a time, with at least two days in between. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to really keep track of/be mindful of/document your symptoms to non-plan foods?

• Moderators

What do I do now?

Hope everyone's doing ok - happy eating :-)

You may have already figured this out, but now you get to ride your own bike, informed by what you've learned in reintroductions and things like the Guide to Nutritional Off Roading, or Melissa's One Bite Rule or Clean Plate Rule. There are other ideas for how to deal with life after your Whole30 on the Whole30 blog from time to time as well.

• Moderators

This post was really helpful - thanks so much for the good conversation! From what I can tell, it doesn't matter what order you re-introduce things in, right? As long as you do them one at a time, with at least two days in between. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to really keep track of/be mindful of/document your symptoms to non-plan foods?

You're right, it doesn't matter what order you reintroduce things, just allow at least two days, or until you feel better if you happen to have a reaction that lasts longer than that, between foods. You can break them down more if you want to -- some people do soy separate from other legumes, some break up dairy into cow vs goat, or higher-lactose foods vs lower lactose foods.

The best way to keep track is to write it down somewhere, and then be sure you keep up with that written record so that if you do another Whole30 and different reintroductions you can compare notes. If you're a pen and paper type of person, a simple notebook is good, or whatever computer program or app you use for keeping up with notes about stuff (Word, Evernote, Google docs, etc.). I'd note everything I was eating, even the Whole30-compliant stuff, and try to make a note of approximate portion sizes, and then record how you feel immediately when you eat something, and then if you notice something later, go ahead and note it -- even if you're not sure it's caused by the food, go ahead and keep notes. If you're not sure, you could always wait until you've done other reintroductions, and go back and try that food again and see if it was a reaction to it or something else going on.

I decided not to reintroduce anything else from the list after I had some sugar reintroductions.

I felt terrible.

I still want to lose a lot of weight and last week I decided to cut out carbs and sugar but add dairy.

I didn't feel tired.

This week I have decided to go on full whole 30 but without the sugar or starchy vegetables. I was doin ok until Monday when I decided to eat crackers? Why oh why I don't know - but I couldbt stop I really couldn't - gluten is a no break food for me and makes me want to eat more and then feed the dragon - and then I felt poorly - flu like symptoms.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Happy eating x

Archived