katieblue

Hi all! Starting Feb 22nd!

I am so, so glad to see so many people starting at the same time as I am! This is my first Whole30 and I kind of decided to do this on a whim so I've been looking around for support. I am completely under prepared but I Have a wonderfully stocked fridge so I'm not too worried about it. My husband is going to 'try to do it with me' though I imagine he will making brown rice and wheat pasta to add to some dishes. Doing some planning tonight and probably going to make some egg dish to eat throughout the week. 

Good luck on your first day everyone! Let's rock this!

Hi 123evie,

I decided about a week ago to order the book and try it out. It took just a couple of days of planning, so hopefully you won't feel underprepared for too long. Somehow, this seems very doable to me, so hopefully you'll find success with it, too. Good luck to you and your husband!

How is everyone's first day going?  I wasn't prepared at all.  I took the day off of work and went to Costco.  I am feeling way better now.  I had two hard boiled eggs for breakfast with a spinach and berry smoothie. (spinach, organic frozen blueberries, orange and water)  for breakfast.  For lunch I waited way too long to eat (because of costco) I came home and ate a chicken breast the rest of my smoothie and half an avocado.  I am feeling way better now.  The only time i have actually made it the full 30 days is when I blogged about it.  I am hoping using this forum will have the same results.  I look forward to hearing about everyone's day and love to hear peoples food choices.  

Hi everyone, I am also on Day 1!

I am a 29 year old new mom to a 3 1/2 month old.  I am really excited to kick off my first Whole30 and get my cravings and energy levels on track.  

I've done my shopping and prepping, and started experimenting with new recipes last week.  My husband and I love Sunshine Sauce, definitely recommend making some!  He is not participating in this Whole30 with me, as he doesn't quite understand it and doesn't feel ready to give up his morning latte or nightly beers.  He is a commercial fisherman so we have some wild Copper River Salmon canned and in the freezer, as well as a fridge full of moose meat!  I made a big batch of breakfast sausage from Alton Brown's recipe (sans sugar, of course! and no pork, just ground moose) and it turned out excellent.

Since I'm breastfeeding, I'm going to allow snacks if I feel I need it. My baby has been breaking out on the skin around his eyes, nose, and chin, and it flares up some days and disappears others, so I'm curious to see if changing my eating habits will clear it up. Other than that, he's happy and healthy (19 lbs. and sleeping through the night!)

Looking forward to having some other people to connect with during this!

Day 1:  so far, so good.  It took me only a few minutes to realize that an after school snack with the kids is habit, not hunger.  So I'm sipping on a cup of tea instead.  Breaking the habit of unnecessary snacking will be awesome! 

I found that trying to plan for a week of meals at a time was overwhelming, so I've stocked up with enough food to make it through 3-4 days and then will see what sounds good from there. 

Breakfast:  grilled chicken, green beans, butternut squash, and coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch:  1/2 can tuna, 5 celery sticks, <2 tablespoons sunbutter (organic type has no sugar), apple

Dinner will be:  ground beef, salad with romaine, red leaf lettuce, baby spinach, strawberries, blackberries, cucumber, oil & vinegar dressing

Water:  about 40 oz so far.  Still a few more hours in the day but won't reach the 80 oz I should be having.  Need to improve on that. 

Day one was okay, except it isn't over yet :).

Breakfast coffee with coconut milk, 3 eggs scrambled with spinach and apple slices dipped in sunflower butter. Lunch 5 boiled eggs (I know. so many eggs. I forgot to make lunch last night) salad with mixed greens, carrots, cashews, olive oil and tonight I'm making coconut curry chicken, but altered the recipe by accident and it is now a weirdo tomato soup chicken stew like thing...I'll let you know... I'm not expecting this to me my most favourite meal! I had a snack of cashews and carrots this afternoon. I know that the first 3-4 days are rough for me and I need a snack to NOT KILL PEOPLE.  I didn't have a homemade cookie at the staff meeting and I'm vowing to ignore the perfect baked good the perfect member of our book club will make tonight. I will be a log of will power.

I know today was too many nuts. I have a hard time with finding fat. I can't eat olives and I live in North Canada. Ripe avocados are mostly impossible to find. I eat a lot of coconut milk in things. Any ideas? 

Glad everyone got through.. or is getting through.

Day 1 went well.  I'm following the 7-day meal plan in the book, and, wow, was that a lot of food!  I was full to overly full all day, but I would rather than than be hungry!  I had my leftover spaghetti squash with meat sauce for breakfast this morning, and I was happy to have a non-egg breakfast.  I like eggs, but I could get burnt out on them pretty quickly.  After eating breakfast this morning, I definitely don't feel as full as I did yesterday, so I'm hoping to make it to lunch without getting hungry.

I'm so glad all your first days went so well!! I actually wound up in the ER yesterday morning with gastritis and didn't get home until well after lunch, so I really only ate dinner... but it was a roasted turkey drumstick, half a sweet potato with clarified butter, and green beans with salt and pepper! Today I ate two scrambled eggs with mushrooms, olives, and green pepper, topped off with pico de gallo and some sliced avocado around 9am - and I'm STILL full!

Ramonax, can you buy coconut oil? That's what I generally use as my fat source; I cook most of my meals in it because I don't really like the taste of olive oil! Also, fish like salmon is one of my FAVORITE fat sources!

Galaxigirl, my boyfriend is watching his cholesterol so he is avoiding eggs, too. I wonder if he'd be up for meat sauce for breakfast, but I sort of doubt it... lots of chia pudding with fruit and nuts for him!! ;)

Yes, yesterday went well, I made a coconut fish stew last night which was yummy. I did not know how much I would miss honey in my morning green tea! Also, today I am feeling very tired. None of the headaches or anything I heard about but just heavy feeling limbs and a bit light headed. Going to drink more water. Also, I am allowing myself apples and some nuts as snacks for now. Woah - chia pudding I had not thought of that. Going to make some!!!

Hope you feel better soon, Muez! I have coffee on the days that I wake up early to hit the gym (and gosh was it bitter with just coconut milk), but I think I'll be missing the honey in my tea tomorrow, too!

And the chia pudding is GREAT with coconut milk! We threw in a handful of unsweetened flaked coconut, some sliced almonds, blueberries, and a sliced banana, and it was the bomb! :D

Muez and katieblue: Here are a few more ideas for chia pudding I found yesterday.  I haven't tried them yet.

For this one, I was going to leave out the cacao nibs:

http://www.cleaneatingveggiegirl.com/2016/02/21/paleo-banana-free-chocolate-chia-pudding/

http://www.cleaneatingveggiegirl.com/2015/08/04/chocolate-banana-coconut-chia-pudding/

katieblue: Your boyfriend might be surprised how good meat sauce is for breakfast!

My friend Lisa is staying over is a long time paleo eater, and talking with her is is helpful!

She shared with me a chicken salad recipe which she loves, and keeps in the fridge also, I plan on making it tomorrow and thought I would share it with you all:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/108235360133/whole30-day-16-madras-chicken-salad

This looks like a good website too.

Did anyone else's ability to think straight go out the window also today? I had such a lot of brain fog!

Hi everyone, I started today so I'm a day behind you - but it looks like not many people choose to start on a Tuesday! I did the Whole30 once before but messed up the reintroductions due to a work trip overseas (I travel to Africa quite a bit and it's pretty much impossible to manage there). I have ongoing issues with joint inflammation, heart burn, anxiety, and overall fatigue, and I would REALLY like to figure out if some of those things are made worse by the things I'm eating. So, here I am. I decided to start on a Tuesday because days 4-5 were the worst for me last time around. I have a busy week at work so I wanted to minimize the number of days I had in the office when I was feeling crappy. I made it through day 1 but definitely had some brain fog - I don't know if it was because of this or the poor sleep I've had all week. Maybe a combination of the two?

I started on the 22nd also :)  I am following the 7 day meal plan that is in the book for this first week.  I did jumble around the dinners so I can have leftovers to take to my inlaws on Sunday for lunch to stay on track.

As day 2 is coming to an end I am loving this!!  The only things I am really noticing is a slight headache and how much I used to snack on cheese, lol.

Chia pudding is really not a great choice for Whole30. It's definitely getting into SWYPO territory, it's a big hit of sugars to your system, especially after fasting through the night, and it doesn't meet the meal template. This is a really good time to break that habit of needing sweet, carby stuff for breakfast, and to realize that anything you have for any other meal during the day works great first thing in the morning too. If you're needing something fast, pre-make egg casseroles, egg muffins, or fritattas, or meatballs or hamburger patties or salmon cakes. Have a big serving of vegetables (try one of these salads, this butternut squash, or some golden cauliflower soup) with it, and a serving of fat -- that is a breakfast that will keep you going 4-5 hours until lunch. 

Day 2 caught me off guard a little bit.  I got out of bed feeling energized and really clear headed.  Is this the calm before the fog?? 

So far I'm free of stomach ache but have had heartburn most of the day.  Otherwise, I feel good. 

I'm so glad all your first days went so well!! I actually wound up in the ER yesterday morning with gastritis and didn't get home until well after lunch, so I really only ate dinner... 

Ramonax, can you buy coconut oil? That's what I generally use as my fat source; I cook most of my meals in it because I don't really like the taste of olive oil! Also, fish like salmon is one of my FAVORITE fat sources!

Oh my. I hope you are okay. I don't know what gastritis is, but it doesn't sound fun. 

and I do use coconut oil - but salmon is a good idea. I'll eat that more.

Day 2 went well for me - woke up slightly achey but once I ate something I felt great.  Slight brain fog today, but it seems like I've had it since I was pregnant  :huh:

Meal 1 - Leftovers from last night's dinner: Salmon Curry.  I started out sautéing some ginger, garlic, 1/2 onion, couple carrots and celery.  Sprinkle on ~1Tbsp. yellow curry powder and ~1 tsp. turmeric.  Add 2 small cubed sweet potato, 1 c. each coconut milk and chicken broth. Let simmer until potatoes are tender.  Add  ~2 lbs. cubed, seasoned salmon and chopped broccoli.  Let simmer very lightly just until salmon is cooked.  Squeeze some lime juice and sprinkle some chopped cashews when serving.  I actually preferred this cold the next morning!

Meal 2 - A couple of HB eggs made into deviled eggs, and a salad with cucumber, tomato, artichoke hearts and olives.

Meal 3 - 2 breakfast sausage patties (2 oz. each), an avocado, and some cucumber and tomato with salt and vinegar.

Meal 4 (because I'm breastfeeding) - this recipe from Bare Bones Broth Cookbook: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/crispy-chicken-stew-with-lemon-artichokes-capers-and-olives  No wine or fresh oregano, and I baked it, because who doesn't like crispy skin? Came together fast and was yummy.

and I do use coconut oil - but salmon is a good idea. I'll eat that more.

How about making some mayo?  You could flavor it lots of different ways.  I made a double batch in the blender today and it was really easy.  It did look like it was going to separate when I was done adding the last bit of oil, but once I stirred the lemon juice in it came together and thickened right back up.  Just make sure everything is room temp.

Also, here's an interesting article about fat levels in salmon:  https://www.vitalchoice.com/shop/pc/articlesView.asp?id=972

Ksea, good call on making the mayo! I made some yesterday and was surprised at how easy it was (I really didn't think it was going to work!) And it tastes pretty good.

Also, sad to hear chia pudding isn't really whole30. It's hard to find egg-less breakfasts for my picky boyfriend who refuses to eat anything but traditional "breakfast foods" for breakfast. :(

Day 3, everybody! I was so tired last night I crashed at 9:00! I got a GREAT sleep, though, so hoping I can get through today without the same level of tired!

For breakfast I have the last of my pico de gallo to finish off over some eggs and veggies. :)

For lunch we have a turkey salad with leftover roast turkey, whole 30 mayo, celery, raisins, and chopped pecans, seasoned with salt and pepper and wrapped up in lettuce!

For dinner we will do leftover salmon cakes from yesterday with the last of the roasted cauliflower.

Hey guys, mind if I join in?  This is my second Whole30 and I am super excited to be doing it again!  I'm starting today 2/23 so I'm only a day behind :rolleyes:

I took my pictures this morning and that was a total motivator!  I'm 51 and I am on a belly healing journey.  I suffer from diverticulitis and I'm sure a wicked leaky gut.  Also I feel I am more anxious than before, so I want to work on that too. My first Whole30 was a few years ago and I can tell you it was a total success.  Some days were really hard but I remember thinking in  week 3, I feel ok but not super, is this going to work? Then I woke up one morning and my world was changed. It's been 3 years and I have slipped back into my bad eating habits.  I'm sluggish, brain foggy, bloated and craving all the things I KNOW are bad for me. Time to reset.

I need support so please feel free to get some from me too!

Of course, the more the merrier!! We're all in this together! :) I don't think there's such a thing as too much support, haha.

I love the positive effects of your first Whole 30 - thanks for the encouragement!

On all three days so far, I felt a little headachy/foggy until I had some coffee mid-morning.  Then I felt much better.  Not sure if it's the new way of eating or lack of sleep (probably both).  I normally get 7.5-8 hours/night, but I only got 6.5 hours on Sunday night and 6 hours last night.  So, AGAIN today, I NEEDED coffee, which is not a habit I necessarily want to start, since I don't normally drink coffee every day.  When I do, I drink it for the taste/as an alternative to water vs. for the caffeine.  I'm hoping when I start getting my normal amount of sleep, I won't be "needing" the coffee every day.

Otherwise, I've been doing good.  The meal prep is a bit tiresome, but I guess it's something to do after dinner that's not watching TV and craving snacking!  Not sure if anyone has been feeling hungry during the day, but, if so, I would highly recommend doing the 7-day meal plan that's in the book.  It's SO much food!

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty good so far.  I love reading what people are doing for their meals!!  Good luck everyone on Day 3.  Lets do this!!

Dinner last night was a naked turkey burger patty, roasted sweet potato, and a pear.  Breakfast today was Aidell's chicken apple sausage with sauteed zucchini, green pepper, and mushrooms.  This is one of my favorite regular breakfasts and I'm so glad it fits the guidelines! 

I'm so used to eating 4-5 small meals throughout the day and a bowl of ice cream after the kids go to bed that what I'm noticing most right now is the lack of time spent eating.  I'm not feeling hungry, just out of routine.  I suddenly have some time freed up and I'm looking forward to filling it with more productive things like sewing, exercise, and working on projects around the house.  It's an unanticipated bonus!