Hi all! Starting Feb 22nd!

katieblue

Has anyone else noticed that everything seems sweeter?  I had grapes in my chicken salad on Monday and Tuesday for lunch, and I kept thinking how sweet they were when I was eating it yesterday.  Then today I had Mexican tuna salad wrapped in Romaine lettuce leaves, and I thought the stemmy part was sweet.  I have never in my life thought Romaine lettuce was sweet!  It's really cool.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

galaxigirl, I have noticed things seeming sweeter, too! Sweet potatoes are amazing and I had raisins in my turkey salad for lunch today and they were like little bombs of sweetness, even amidst all the mayo and turkey. It's crazy how fast our taste buds adapt. :)

jen c: Thanks for the breakfast suggestion!  I've been struggling with what I think I could eat for breakfast for the long haul since I can get sick of eggs pretty quickly, and I think I could do yours!

You're welcome.  Just be careful to read the sausage labels.  The smaller breakfast links have sugar added and so do some of the other varieties. 

Due to allergies, I'll only be using egg-free breakfasts and can post more ideas as we go.   :)

I agree with what you said about things tasting sweeter.  I've noticed it too. 

• Moderators

Dinner last night was a naked turkey burger patty, roasted sweet potato, and a pear.  Breakfast today was Aidell's chicken apple sausage with sauteed zucchini, green pepper, and mushrooms.  This is one of my favorite regular breakfasts and I'm so glad it fits the guidelines! 

I'm so used to eating 4-5 small meals throughout the day and a bowl of ice cream after the kids go to bed that what I'm noticing most right now is the lack of time spent eating.  I'm not feeling hungry, just out of routine.  I suddenly have some time freed up and I'm looking forward to filling it with more productive things like sewing, exercise, and working on projects around the house.  It's an unanticipated bonus!

Don't forget to add some fat to your meals as well -- I'm sure you're cooking in some, but especially since turkey and chicken can be leaner, don't be afraid to throw in some more -- some avocado or olives or mayo or look up recipes for oil based sauces and dressings to change up flavors.

Hello! I just found this thread, mind if I join you? I started Feb 23, because we had out of town guests visit with us and left Monday, so Tuesday was day one for us. Currently following the sample meal plan outlined in the book. Lots of food prep! But I probably wouldn't have tried some homemade sauces/dressings otherwise and I'm glad I'm trying those out. Roasted red pepper mayonnaise=YUM!

Don't forget to add some fat to your meals as well -- I'm sure you're cooking in some, but especially since turkey and chicken can be leaner, don't be afraid to throw in some more -- some avocado or olives or mayo or look up recipes for oil based sauces and dressings to change up flavors.

Does it count if I have a cup of coffee or tea with coconut milk along with the meal?  I did that for lunch today when I had tuna, cucumber, grapes, and sweet potato.  Tips are appreciated since this is my first time.  Because I used cooking fat with the turkey patty and the sweet potato last night, I thought that might be enough for that meal . . . but more would be better?  Thanks for your input!

Jen C - you are suppose to have a serving of fat with each meal. Coconut milk is considered a fat, so I think it counts if you are eating it with the meal. I do that at breakfast and count it. 

last night and today at lunch I had sausage squash casserole (from the book) and spinach. For dinner salmon cakes and mayo and salad. I can't remember who recommended making mayo - Katieblue? Anyway I did and it was amazing. I'm looking forward to making a chicken salad with it tomorrow. 

I slept well last night. The first time I did the w30 my baby wasn't sleeping - so I was getting up 2-4 times a night. It helped me and I slept better..but I have been wondering how my sleep will be impacted by the died and the now sleeping baby. Last night I got 8 hours! 

This morning, I had some have-to-get-to-the-bathroom-gastro-distress. I don't know what that was all about, but I needed to be in a giant meeting of 15 people around a table, sitting the furthest from the door. So that was super fun. ;) then it just went away. 

hope everyone else's day was good.

• Moderators

Does it count if I have a cup of coffee or tea with coconut milk along with the meal?  I did that for lunch today when I had tuna, cucumber, grapes, and sweet potato.  Tips are appreciated since this is my first time.  Because I used cooking fat with the turkey patty and the sweet potato last night, I thought that might be enough for that meal . . . but more would be better?  Thanks for your input!

Coconut milk is a fat, so it might be enough.

The real test is to pay attention to how you're feeling after your meals -- ideally you'll go 4-5 hours between meals easily. If you aren't able to go that long between meals without being hungry, one thing to try is to add some extra fat to your meals. And if you have a meal sometime where you just feel like it would be good with more than one fat, it's okay -- so if you have a salad and decide you want some avocado and some salad dressing and the oil you cooked your meat in, that's fine. You're unlikely to overeat fats from whole foods like that, especially in a full meal, because they tend to be very satisfying. (Nuts are kind of a different story -- they're very easy to overeat for most people, which is one reason it's recommended to limit their use.) 

Thanks for the input Ramonax and Shannon.  I'll be paying close attention to make sure I'm not skimping on the fats.  We're a nut-free family, so no worries about overdoing those. 

Dinner tonight was leftover chicken, roasted delicata squash with garlic and parsley, and an apple with sunbutter.  The squash recipe was a new try and it's really good:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/76702/garlic-delicata/

Day 3: I woke up quite achey and slightly nauseous. I ate dinner last night at 7, and didn't get a chance to eat until 9:45 this morning. Felt much better after that. I'll try to not go so long between meals.

M1 - a can of kippered king salmon, some carrots dipped in sunshine sauce, and an apple. Also a cup of green tea.

M2 - leftovers from last night's dinner. I forgot to mention that I added some dinosaur kale to it at the very end.

M3 - a breakfast sausage patty, HB egg and more carrots and cucumber dipped in sunshine sauce. Love that stuff!

M4 - pineapple ginger chicken wings and coleslaw with mayo based dressing. I threw some frozen chicken wings in the slow cooker with lots of ginger, garlic, some 5 spice powder, rice vinegar and pineapple juice. Put them under the broiler until skin was crispy, basting with reduced cooking liquid.

Baby has been sleeping through the night lately, so thankfully I've been getting rest. Last night, I had a vivid dream about homemade chicken strips and french fries, but I was able to resist. Then there was Moose's Tooth pizza, and somehow I convinced myself it was OK to try a tiny slice, then one slice led to another.. weird!! I haven't had any cravings for naughty food while awake yet!

Hey ksea, glad you're feeling better!

I'm suffering myself... felt the headache coming on gradually throughout the day yesterday, and it got so sharp and piercing it woke me up every half hour or so last night. Still spiking through my skull now, and I'm so nauseous because of it. I hope this passes soon. :(

I'm not sure how much breakfast I'll be able to stomach, but we have steak and eggs and with some kale and mushrooms sauteed in olive oil.

Lunch will be leftover salmon patties (I doubled the recipe) over a bed of lettuce. I may try making some compliant dressing, but we'll see how I feel.

For dinner, it's our first test: we're going out! It's a local pub, and we know them well, so I was very comfortable calling yesterday and asking them some questions. It's totally safe for me to have a burger with lettuce, tomato, and avocado, and I will bring my own ketchup. I can also have steamed veggies as my side rather than fries. My boyfriend is going with a strip steak with a side salad with oil and vinegar as dressing and a baked potato. The hardest part for him is going to be avoiding the craft beers! The hardest part for me is going to be dealing with this piercing headache. -_-

Hello everyone!

I can identify with the headache.  My head hurt on days 1 and 2.   I think it was the coffee and coke zero addiction that caused mine.  I was able to finally get one cup black coffee down yesterday morning without gagging and I felt so much better.  I noticed that my energy level during my workouts has been so much better and I am not as tired after.  I also noticed when I went to my local grocery store that I wandered the whole store and even looked at Easter candy without feeling compelled to put unhealthy things in my shopping cart. 

I hope everyone continues to have a great first week.  I tried the Slow Cooker Jalapeno Popper Chicken from the www.skinnytaste.com website and it was great.  I left out the goat cheese to make it W30 compliant.  I didn't bother using ground chicken.  I just chopped some up on the cutting board and used some ground venison in place of the beef (husband is a hunter  - no other particular reason for substituting it).   I wish I would have made a double batch because it would be great to have a stockpile of it in the freezer.

Have a great day!

Laura

Hello! I just found this thread, mind if I join you? I started Feb 23, because we had out of town guests visit with us and left Monday, so Tuesday was day one for us. Currently following the sample meal plan outlined in the book. Lots of food prep! But I probably wouldn't have tried some homemade sauces/dressings otherwise and I'm glad I'm trying those out. Roasted red pepper mayonnaise=YUM!

I feel the same way!  We're doing the meal plan from the book, too.  I thought I didn't like spaghetti squash in place of pasta, but I LOVED the spaghetti squash with meat sauce.  I also really liked the ranch dressing.

Thanks to everyone for all of the great meal (and other) suggestions!  I'm glad this forum is active!  I look forward to reading all the posts when I get into work in the morning.  So far, day 4 is good, but I also got about 8 hours of sleep last night, which I know makes a world of difference!  I'm not having any physical symptoms yet today, so I hope it stays that way!

ksea: I read in the book that it's normal to have dreams where you crave foods.  I remember dreaming about food last night, but I can't remember any of the specifics.

katieblue: Your headache sounds awful!  I hope it goes away very soon!  And let us know how eating out goes!  My husband and I are going on a double date tomorrow night, and I picked a place that has make your own burgers with tons and tons of toppings, so we're thinking we'll do the burger in a bowl, which is just the patty over mixed greens and then all any compliant toppings.  As with your husband, our challenge is avoiding the craft beers!  We're both huge beer fans!

Hey Laura! Glad you're feeling better - and way to go on passing up the Easter candy! I still gaze at it longingly as I pass by... I feel like my sugar cravings are getting worse, not better! But I think I just have to get over the hump. :) I had breakfast and my head feels way better now, as per a moderator's suggestion I had a sweet potato along with my eggs to get some starchy veggies in there and I think it helped!

Galaxigirl, that burger place sounds awesome!! The best of luck to you!! Maybe BYOB places will be safer for now. ;) I'm lucky that I wasn't a drinker to begin with, so it's normal for me to not get any alcohol when we're out.

I thought I had somehow gotten out of the "hangover" phase as I am now on day 4,  - but no - this morning i woke up feeling like I had drunk a bunch last night and feel achy and generally yuck. Seems like mine was only delayed a little! I am taking it easy until I have to go out and drinking lots of water and ate a big kale/eggs/sauerkraut breakfast. 

I had dinner with family last night which was my first away from home test - it all worked well but my mum had put maple syrup on the sweet potatoes without mentioning it.. I had a bite half way in my mouth and it was so incredibly sweet I took the bite out immediately and quietly gave them to my dad. I agree with you all about our taste buds adjusting so quickly!

Laura - I am jealous that your husband is a hunter - I have been thinking about what a great source of meat that would be and want to find someone who hunts to befriend. I used to have a neighbor who's family did not really like deer meat - so they gave me a bunch one winter and it was such amazing healthy meat.

Muez, hope you feel better soon!! This "hangover" phase is really rough! Way to go on the spitting out maple syrup, though - that's got to be hard.

galaxigrl, we do live near a Chipotle! I believe the carnitas is the only meat that isn't cooked in non-compliant oil, but I do have that saved for an "in a pinch" scenario. And the more I have to cook and food prep, the more that sounds good. ;)

Day 3: I woke up quite achey and slightly nauseous. I ate dinner last night at 7, and didn't get a chance to eat until 9:45 this morning. Felt much better after that. I'll try to not go so long between meals.

M1 - a can of kippered king salmon, some carrots dipped in sunshine sauce, and an apple. Also a cup of green tea.

M2 - leftovers from last night's dinner. I forgot to mention that I added some dinosaur kale to it at the very end.

M3 - a breakfast sausage patty, HB egg and more carrots and cucumber dipped in sunshine sauce. Love that stuff!

M4 - pineapple ginger chicken wings and coleslaw with mayo based dressing. I threw some frozen chicken wings in the slow cooker with lots of ginger, garlic, some 5 spice powder, rice vinegar and pineapple juice. Put them under the broiler until skin was crispy, basting with reduced cooking liquid.

Baby has been sleeping through the night lately, so thankfully I've been getting rest. Last night, I had a vivid dream about homemade chicken strips and french fries, but I was able to resist. Then there was Moose's Tooth pizza, and somehow I convinced myself it was OK to try a tiny slice, then one slice led to another.. weird!! I haven't had any cravings for naughty food while awake yet!

Your wings sound good. I'll try that. Hey I live in Yukon and every couple months look at Moose Tooth to see what bands are coming there, then I dream of driving up to see them. then I think of my little car and the 12 hour drive and I don't go.

Hey Laura! Glad you're feeling better - and way to go on passing up the Easter candy! I still gaze at it longingly as I pass by... I feel like my sugar cravings are getting worse, not better! But I think I just have to get over the hump. :) I had breakfast and my head feels way better now, as per a moderator's suggestion I had a sweet potato along with my eggs to get some starchy veggies in there and I think it helped!

Galaxigirl, that burger place sounds awesome!! The best of luck to you!! Maybe BYOB places will be safer for now. ;) I'm lucky that I wasn't a drinker to begin with, so it's normal for me to not get any alcohol when we're out.

Hey Katie

I found last time my mood was an indicator of the need for starch. If I was feeling super crabby, I would think back and realize I hadn't had a lot of yams/beets or whatever, and up the dosage and then would feel better. It was cool to be able to make links between how I felt and what I ate so specifically.

• Moderators

katieblue: I don't know if you live near a Chipotle, but you can get dinner there.  I read on a blog that you can order a pork carnitas salad bowl with double meat, double guac, and hot salsa, but I assume you can have any of the meats.

Actually, you really can't assume this -- pork carnitas are in fact the only compliant meat on their menu. You can't even have their fajita veggies, which sound like a thing that ought to be safe enough, right? No. They cook those and many items in rice bran oil, which makes it not okay on Whole30. I do have to applaud them for actually putting their ingredients out there online so everyone can see them, which many restaurants don't do.

Archived