Hi all! Starting Feb 22nd!

katieblue

Ramonax, it's definitely crazy to learn about all this!! I'm feeling MUCH better now than I was yesterday/this morning. :)

So glad you're feeling better Katie!  :)   I'm feeling a bit guilty here because these first four days, I've felt amazing!  It's like a long-time brain fog has vanished along with all of my abdominal discomfort.  I keep waiting for the shoe to drop - for the sugar and carb withdrawal symptoms to hit, because my diet has been plenty full of them prior to this.  But so far, all I've felt is energy, clarity, and an overall feeling of lightening up . . . not in the sense of weight loss, but in a lack of bloating and stomach heaviness.  I'm so sorry for the ickiness many of you have been experiencing, but hang in there.  If what I'm feeling is any indication, great things are coming soon!

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks so much, Jen! I'm SO happy for you that you feel so good so quickly! That sounds like a great light at the end of the tunnel and motivation to push on! :)

I'm feeling WAY better today, too! A little tired but I think that's just from staying out later than usual. Going out to eat yesterday was really hard at first, but it was good to have my boyfriend there to back me up. I really admire all of you who are doing this alone! While everyone else was ordering pub burgers with gooey melty cheese and fries and mozzarella sticks and nachos, we were like, alright, we will have plain, bunless burgers, with sliced avocado, lettuce and tomato, salsa on top (I forgot my homemade ketchup at home!! :( ), and a baked potato, no sour cream. BUT when the food actually got to the table, ours was delicious!! And it got way easier when we realized we were eating really well anyway even though we didn't have the cream. I only ate half my burger (they were 10oz, holy crap!), so I have the other half for lunch today to try with the ketchup!

Also, I'm really excited to try this for dinner tonight! I LOVE BBQ anything and was drooling over my friend's ribs at the pub last night. Hope it's amazing paired with a sweet potato and some steamed broccoli!

I'm feeling motivated after doing so well last night!! #smallvictories

Actually, you really can't assume this -- pork carnitas are in fact the only compliant meat on their menu. You can't even have their fajita veggies, which sound like a thing that ought to be safe enough, right? No. They cook those and many items in rice bran oil, which makes it not okay on Whole30. I do have to applaud them for actually putting their ingredients out there online so everyone can see them, which many restaurants don't do.

Thanks, Shannon.  I didn't even know that rice bran oil existed.  That's also cool that Chipotle lists the ingredients of everything they make.  Good to know all of the salsas except the corn one are ok!  I was wondering if any of those might have sugar.

Day 4 went very well for me, considering all the temptation around me!  I worked in kitchens for years, so I don't really mind cooking food I can't eat!

I had sausage, a sunny side up egg, and broccoli for breakfast.  For lunch, I had a salad with cucumber, tomato, avocado, HB egg, hemp seeds and salt and vinegar.  I liked how the avocado and egg yolk and avocado made a creamy dressing of sorts.

We went to a birthday dinner for my dad at my parents house last night.  My family loves my homemade crescent rolls, so I made a batch for everyone.  They had baked ziti with Italian sausage and a bunch of cheese, and lemon cheesecake.  I made a blueberry sauce for them to top it with, and while I was making it I set some aside before I added any sugar.  Cooked it a little longer with a diced up apple and ate it with a dollop of coconut cream with my dinner.  I realize that's probably getting into SWYPO territory.  I brought a big frittata with sweet potato, leek, dinosaur kale, and some roasted tomato.  Those tomatoes turned out AWESOME.  Great way to make winter tomatoes taste great!  I'll definitely be making more, they would be a great side to lots of meals.

I also made some baguettes for my husband to bring to work today with some cream cheese and lox.  We work in a shop where we build fishing nets in the winter, but I'm staying home this year to take care of baby.  I like to make some sort of treat to bring in on Fridays, and thought I'd go the savory route this time.

I just had some leftover frittata with 1/2 an avocado for breakfast.  Going to make a cup of green tea while baby is still sleeping.  Didn't wake up achey yesterday or today, and haven't felt the need to snack at all.  Been drinking tons of water.

Noticed I've had to make a conscious effort to stay off my phone/computer while I'm eating.  Unless baby is up, I'm not letting anything distract me from my meal.  At lunch my husband and I will take turns holding him at the table while the other one eats, and I carry him in a pack while I cook, he seems really interested in what we're doing.  I'm really happy I am doing this whole30, I do think it will set up for a nutritious foundation for us.

Your wings sound good. I'll try that. Hey I live in Yukon and every couple months look at Moose Tooth to see what bands are coming there, then I dream of driving up to see them. then I think of my little car and the 12 hour drive and I don't go.

I definitely recommend it!   I go to Moose's Tooth every time I'm in Anchorage.  I've never seen any live music there, but I heard it's a blast, along with their first tap parties (they make killer beer!).  I've always wanted to do a road trip around Alaska and Canada.  There's hot springs outside Fairbanks I would like to visit too.

I know what you mean about the ripe avocados.  I live in a town that's only accessible by boat or plane, and the produce we get is usually expensive and often sub par.  We do get some amazing Alaska grown carrots tho.  I need to start a garden this year.  Does anyone ever grow any windowsill herbs? 

I'm feeling motivated after doing so well last night!! #smallvictories

High five!  It does feel good to eat wholesome, delicious food.  And I don't miss the sluggishness I feel after a meal high in unhealthy carbs and grease.  How did you explain to any of your friends what you were doing?  My parents don't really understand it, and my mom was teasing me the day before, "what do you want for dinner, I'm all out of caviar and ostrich egg?".  I'm glad I brought a frittata to share, even though she did NOT want to try it.  She is convinced she hates kale, even though she's never tried it before.  She had one teeny tiny bite and pretty much wanted to spit it out!  My dad and husband loved it, and they didn't have as big a serving of pasta as they would have otherwise.  I'm not trying to force this whole30 on anyone one bit, but I'm glad they had some of what I was eating and liked it too.

That BBQ looks good, can't wait to hear how it turns out.  I have a moose pot roast thawing in the fridge that might be good cooked that way too!

ksea: That's a shame that your mom wouldn't even really try your frittata. It sounds like it was delicious. The foods we're eating, and the recipes in the book, are all totally normal things.  I've pretty much told everyone up front that I'm doing Whole30, before they think about offering me something I don't want to eat/drink.  So far my friends have been supportive.  After telling my mom about it, she bought both books and decided to try it herself, along with her husband.  She doesn't have any weight to lose, but she and her husband have health issues that I'm praying this will help with!  You really can do a lot when on this "program."  (Not sure what to call it.).  My friend, who is also doing Whole30 with me, and I are going to watch the Oscars on Sunday night, and we easily came up with fun appetizers and drinks to have - BLT deviled eggs, salt and pepper chicken wings with carrots and celery and homemade ranch, and bora bora fireballs - http://meljoulwan.com/2013/03/05/bora-bora-fireballs/.  And we're making some of the mocktails in the Whole30 book.

Aw ksea, I'm sorry for your mom's attitude, too.. I totally would have tried your frittata! We definitely have been getting a lot of people making fun of us, but my friends are used to my eating habits changing a lot (I've been gluten free for five years because of an intolerance and intermittently avoiding dairy, sugar and carbs in attempts to try different aspects of finally getting swimsuit abs). My boyfriend caught more flak than I did for sure; people were shoving beers in his face all night and telling him to just "have a sip." I was really proud that he stuck to it!

galaxigrl, your Oscars snacks sound DELISH. I think I may have to try the deviled eggs option; I did LOVE the whole 30 mayo I made!! :)

Thank you!! As soon as I can get my hands on some more light olive oil to make more mayo, I will try it! Going out last night, the things I wanted most were not the sweet desserts (which shocked me because I have a wicked sweet tooth), but the creamy dressings on the salads and the gooey cheese. So a Whole30 ranch sounds deeeelightful! :)

galaxigrl- I am going to make some mayo tonight too - thanks for the reminder!

Hey everyone, well yesterday I was so sick! I was (to be graphic) throwing up all day and had to stay in bed, I could not even keep down water. Wow. Not sure where this came from - Whole 30 related or not. Perhaps it was food poisoning.  I managed to eat a banana for breakfast today and an egg, mushroom and green peppers for lunch and feel much better.  I wonder if anyone else has this response - I will look on the other forums.

Yey day 5!

galaxigrl- I am going to make some mayo tonight too - thanks for the reminder!

Hey everyone, well yesterday I was so sick! I was (to be graphic) throwing up all day and had to stay in bed, I could not even keep down water. Wow. Not sure where this came from - Whole 30 related or not. Perhaps it was food poisoning.  I managed to eat a banana for breakfast today and an egg, mushroom and green peppers for lunch and feel much better.  I wonder if anyone else has this response - I will look on the other forums.

Yey day 5!

Oh no. That sounds like food poisoning or stomach flu - while a change in eating can make you feel weird, I don't think it can make you violently ill. Did you find anything on the forums? 

Thanks Katieblue and Ramonax, I did not find anything on the forums. It may well have been food poisoning, although to be honest looking back this seems to be a way my body gets sick - fast and furious and then I feel fine, so who knows.

On a better note, I had baked a chicken before I got sick, and made chicken broth today in my crock pot and then chicken soup tonight. It was so good to eat broth! I am def. going to keep it up.

Well, this is my 2nd try to post, hoping it works this time. My name is Wendy, and my husband and I started our 1st Whole 30 on the 22nd. My husband is doing great, and hasn't complained, though he did get rid of the pretzels as they were too tempting. He's more tempted by carbs, and mine is the beverages. Monday and Tuesday were pretty rough for me. I had a bad headache due to no morning coffee with creamer. I love black tea, but usually sweeten mine, and it just hasn't been very satisfying with no sugar. I have to admit that I enjoy a nightly glass of wine or two. Giving that up has been hard. Somehow my herbal tea just doesn't give me the same relaxation.

Tuesday afternoon was extremely hard. I was already having a stressful day at work as my boss had me in tears, then at lunch when I sat down to eat my yummy salad for lunch, I found that the Italian vinaigrette dressing (homemade from the recipe in the book)had solidified. I didn't know it shouldn't be refrigerated. I only have 30 minutes to eat, as I am an elementary school teacher, so I didn't have time to wait. So when I wasn't crying about the stressful day, I managed to eat only about half my salad totally plain. Not very satisfying.

All I wanted to do was pick up a bottle of wine on the way home, and had almost talked myself into it, when my husband called and talked me through it. It's only 30 days, right?

We've been eating mostly salads, baked potatoes with ghee, homemade vegetable beef soup I made (not from the book, but all ingredients were compliant). I'm thinking I better check out some of the breakfast recipes. We've been having only bananas and apples for breakfast, and it hasn't been filling enough. We started after only having the book 3 days, so we were probably not as prepared as we should have been.

I'm feeling pretty good that I've almost completed my 5th day, and haven't cheated. There are always lots of temptations at work (like pizza today), and someone is always bringing in donuts, bagels, etc.

Wendy

Wendy, you'll find a great support team here!  Many of us are first-timers too and we can encourage and commiserate together.  It's awesome that you and your husband are both doing this and can help one another through.  It sounds like he was a great coach for you the other night! 

Based on what the book says about how one might expect to feel each day, I've been doing far better than I anticipated.  But when my son made himself a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch today . . . oh, it smelled like the best thing ever!!  But I didn't give in and kept to my chicken salad instead.  Tonight we're having pork chops, sweet potatoes, and mixed green salad with berries.  Although my family isn't doing this with me, most of their dinners will be compliant because I'm not making double meals.  The only non-compliance would be their choice in dressings or if they have bread with the meal. 

My kids have always turned their noses up at berries but when I served them on a salad the other night, something changed and although reluctant to try them at first, they found they really like them.  When we stopped in to the grocery store to pick up more veggies this afternoon, my oldest made a beeline for the blackberries.  Hooray for progress in that area too! 

Well, this is my 2nd try to post, hoping it works this time. My name is Wendy, and my husband and I started our 1st Whole 30 on the 22nd. My husband is doing great, and hasn't complained, though he did get rid of the pretzels as they were too tempting. He's more tempted by carbs, and mine is the beverages. Monday and Tuesday were pretty rough for me. I had a bad headache due to no morning coffee with creamer. I love black tea, but usually sweeten mine, and it just hasn't been very satisfying with no sugar. I have to admit that I enjoy a nightly glass of wine or two. Giving that up has been hard. Somehow my herbal tea just doesn't give me the same relaxation.

Tuesday afternoon was extremely hard. I was already having a stressful day at work as my boss had me in tears, then at lunch when I sat down to eat my yummy salad for lunch, I found that the Italian vinaigrette dressing (homemade from the recipe in the book)had solidified. I didn't know it shouldn't be refrigerated. I only have 30 minutes to eat, as I am an elementary school teacher, so I didn't have time to wait. So when I wasn't crying about the stressful day, I managed to eat only about half my salad totally plain. Not very satisfying.

All I wanted to do was pick up a bottle of wine on the way home, and had almost talked myself into it, when my husband called and talked me through it. It's only 30 days, right?

We've been eating mostly salads, baked potatoes with ghee, homemade vegetable beef soup I made (not from the book, but all ingredients were compliant). I'm thinking I better check out some of the breakfast recipes. We've been having only bananas and apples for breakfast, and it hasn't been filling enough. We started after only having the book 3 days, so we were probably not as prepared as we should have been.

I'm feeling pretty good that I've almost completed my 5th day, and haven't cheated. There are always lots of temptations at work (like pizza today), and someone is always bringing in donuts, bagels, etc.

Wendy

Hi Wendy

I find it helpful to eat a lot of rich food at the beginning - steak and creamy (coconut of course :)) chicken stews and was just introduced to the book's mayo (thank you this forum). And coconut milk in my coffee too. I thought it would be disgusting. It took a bit to get use to, but now it is the only way I want to drink coffee. From what you write, you might not be eating enough and not enough variety. especially at breakfast. 

Thanks, Jen. C and Ramonax,

I think this forum will be a great support system, and it is extremely helpful that my husband is on board. I will try some of the egg recipes this weekend, and am definitely going to try the coconut milk in my coffee. I definitely think I was too hungry during the day at work, and hunger does not go well with stress!

galaxigrl and katieblue - Thanks for the support!  Those Bora Bora Fireballs look really good, wouldn't think to put those flavors together in a meatball!  And I adore deviled eggs, so quick to put together if you have HB eggs on hand, and its fun to play around with different flavors for the yolk filling.

Muez - Glad you feel better!  Right before new years I started an Adkins40, and I was finally feeling better about a week in, when I got sick too.  Couldn't eat and couldn't keep any liquids down for about 20 hours, and at one point in the middle of it I threw up some green bile, which can't be good.  I don't know wether it was a stomach flu or my body retaliating for changing my diet so drastically after the holiday season, but I kept sipping coconut water until I could keep it down.  My milk supply dropped, so that was the end of the low carb thing.  It was the first time I ever put myself on a diet.  Didn't like counting carbs and calories anyway, this Whole30 is awesome!

Wendy and Frankie - Way to go making it this far with all the stress and temptations!  It definitely sounds like you need to eat more in the morning, make sure you include protein and fat!  It's so fun to try out new recipes and techniques.  You can also add tons of different toppings to baked potatoes, like roasted broccoli or other veggies, or caramelized onions, just to change it up a bit.  Maybe find some other things to help you relax at night, like a bath or you and your husband giving each other a massage?  ;)

I ate some leftover frittata for breakfast (it was delicious cold!) with 1/2 an avocado, made some sturgeon salad (like tuna salad) on lettuce and cucumber and some apple with sunbutter for lunch, then we finished off the frittata and breakfast sausage for dinner.  Nothing too creative today.

I had tons of energy today, I'm glad it's the weekend now!  Tomorrow I'm going to make a big batch of tomato meat sauce.  We'll eat it on some spaghetti squash or try some zucchini noodles, and poach eggs in the sauce on Sunday morning.  A curry coconut stew sounds really good too.

Welcome aboard, Wendy! It sounds like your husband is an awesome support system! :)

Everybody else - you're all doing so great!! We're on Day 6, and so close to having our first week done!

I'm DEFINITELY noticing what galaxigrl was talking about with things being sweeter - I had some blueberries with my breakfast this morning and they were the BEST. THINGS. EVER. I've always loved blueberries, but these were exceptionally amazing. And the sweet potato we had with dinner last night? A little bit of clarified butter and cinnamon sprinkled on top? It was like candy. I would never eat sugar again just so I could enjoy sweet potatoes like that. The BBQ chicken I posted turned out awesome, too - I'd definitely recommend it! And it's a crock pot dish so it's so easy!

I'm feeling pretty normal today. No headaches, no real tired, no real energy, just pretty normal. Still kind of bloated, for some reason; my rings won't fit on my fingers and even though I put on the same jeans I wore yesterday, they feel so tight I can barely move. I don't FEEL uncomfortable, per se, it's just weird to not fit in my clothes. I know I've definitely been eating a lot more than I was used to (I so often skipped lunch or dinner just because I wasn't hungry) so it might just be more food intake, I suppose.

Anyway, so proud of everyone!! Keep up the good work! :)

Great job everyone!!! I have loved reading through everyone's posts. I'm excited I made it through my first Friday night. It was a little tougher then all the other days but that might have been because I watched Top Chef. It made me a little hungry or at least made me feel like I wanted to eat.

Day 6 I have woken up with a crazy headache. I am hoping it goes away but it really doesn't feel great! I am also still bloated. Other then that I am feeling good and proud that I have made it through close to a week.

Oh man, I would definitely not be able to watch a cooking show right now - I get hungry just watching the Sopranos!

Sorry you have the headache today, but I promise from experience that it will pass! Mine hit me around days 3-4 and was absolutely killer. But I've been feeling great since it went away, so hopefully you will, too! And hopefully both of our bloating goes away soon. :)

You're killing it, girl!!

Thanks Katie!! I'm hoping a little coffee will help. I also wanted to let all the first timers to know nom nom Paleo has an app, a couple awesome cookbooks and a great blog. The app is great and has a whole30 recipe section that is amazing. I love her recipes and gives you some great variety.

I did forget to mention that I have had a few dreams now that I go off plan. Last night I had a dream that I kept accidentally eating non compliant foods like m&ms and granola bars (I don't even normally eat those) in my dream I finally decided whole30 was stupid and I was over it. I was glad to wake up and realize I was still compliant! Haha

Thank you for the info on the app! I've used several of Nom Nom Paleo's recipes before I started Whole 30 and have a few in the queue for future meals before the 30 days are up, so that's awesome to know. :D

Argh, what a dream! I haven't had any of them yet but I can imagine it's super stressful!! Haha.

Hi everyone! I'm a day behind you guys (day 5 for me) but feeling pretty okay so far. I haven't had horrible headaches (yet) but I am feeling a little foggy. Last night was tough - I went through a pretty intense 2-day training on how to cope with hostile situations (gunfire, mob violence, grenades, car accidents, etc - I travel to some dicey places for work). The adrenaline was running high and I REALLY wanted a glass of wine or a beer last night. I didn't cave in though!

My husband is about 50% on board with this - we usually share cooking duties and he's stepping up to make compliant meals, which is great. He's got some learning to do - I caught him just before he grated parmesan over our egg scramble this morning. I sent him all the downloads but I think I need to print the list of "allowed" foods and put it on the fridge so he has an easy reference.

Archived