Hi all! Starting Feb 22nd!

katieblue

CG, I printed the list of foods and put it on the fridge for my boyfriend, too!!

Also, way to go on sticking it out without the wine/beer! Sounds like it was a stressful day that you totally destroyed all on your own without any comfort food/drink to carry you. :)

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checking in to say way to go everyone - we have almost made it through the first week!  I had a first aid and safety training class today and thankfully nobody brought in snacks to be tempted by.  Made some meat sauce to go over some sliced up squash for tonight's dinner.  I am thinking of getting one of those spiralizer gadgets to turn my veggies into noodles.  Are they really worth giving up extra space in my kitchen?  Any recommendations?

Laura

I'll be extending my Whole 30 to add 3 days.  I ate tuna on Monday and Wednesday (days 1 & 3) but didn't read the label.  I know better than to make assumptions!  Turns out it contains soy.  I'm not excited to finish out that close to Easter - had hoped for more days of reintroduction by then, but will make it work and all will be good. 

I received a package in the mail today from Wild Foods and am looking forward to trying their cold brew coffee, raw cocoa nibs, and vanilla powder.  This is all new to me so I can't make recommendations yet, but will let you know what I think later.  I like vanilla flavoring in my coffee and this vanilla powder is strictly vanilla with no other ingredients.  It will add the flavor without adding the sweet.  Same with the cocoa nibs.  They're a bit on the spendy side but claim to have great quality and since I'm not spending any money in the coffee drive through right now, I thought I could splurge to try a few of their products.  Here's the link to the website:

http://www.wildfoods.co/

Ok I just did maybe the hardest thing in my life!! Let me start out with that I am a sugar addict and my favorite sugar is in the form of ice cream and chocolate. I am throwing my son a birthday party tomorrow (7) and to save money I though instead of buying an ice cream cake I would make him a hoho cake. You use a med/L bowl put wax paper down smash hoho's then you add ice cream, I also added chocolate syrup and sprinkles and cover the top with wax paper and pop back in the freezer. You do a lot of this by hand. I did it with out licking my fingers, spoon or by finishing all of the leftovers!!! I made it through even with chocolate and ice cream on my hands. It's also Saturday!! Like I said hardest thing ever. Even my husband who has no sweet tooth (jerk) felt terrible for me.

I am thinking of getting one of those spiralizer gadgets to turn my veggies into noodles.  Are they really worth giving up extra space in my kitchen?  Any recommendations?

I've never used a spiralizer before, but I do use a mandolin with a julienne blade to make veggie noodles.  I like the way spiralized veggies look, but I think a mandolin is not only smaller but way more versatile.  

I'll be extending my Whole 30 to add 3 days.  I ate tuna on Monday and Wednesday (days 1 & 3) but didn't read the label.  I know better than to make assumptions!  Turns out it contains soy.  I'm not excited to finish out that close to Easter - had hoped for more days of reintroduction by then, but will make it work and all will be good. 

Bummer about the tuna, good thing you caught it now though!  Interested in hearing what you think about the goodies you got in.  Do you add the vanilla powder to the coffee before you brew it?  I was a huge coffee drinker before I got pregnant, and I enjoy a small cup every once in a while now... it seems like such a treat after not drinking it for so long!   

I did it with out licking my fingers, spoon or by finishing all of the leftovers!!! I made it through even with chocolate and ice cream on my hands. It's also Saturday!! Like I said hardest thing ever. Even my husband who has no sweet tooth (jerk) felt terrible for me.

Whoa!  Way to go resisting your kryptonite!!  That ice cream cake sounds rad... hope you have a fun birthday party!  Good job!  :lol:

Laura, I have this little handheld spiralizer and it works great for cucumber, zucchini and carrots and takes up almost no space!

Jen, sorry to hear about the tuna, but at least it was only three days! I had no idea there was soy in tuna, but I had to carefully check all my labels once I found out!

TerraZ, that is AMAZING!! That's one of the ways my sugar addiction gets really out of hand, when baking. I am so impressed!! You ladies are so awesome! :)

I got hit by the extreme tired this morning!! I slept in until 6:30 (that is sleeping in for me, believe it or not) but had set my alarm to go to the gym, and I had to peel myself out of bed. I had some coconut milk in my black tea and it was SO delicious - way better than I had expected!! Managed to get my weight training in but was too tired to do cardio. Might try again later in the day. I know these are the days of tired, according to the schedule - but after today, we have our first seven days down!!! :D

Thanks for the support, I really needed it after last night.

I have a spiralizer and it doesn't take up too much room. I go through phases on using it. When I do use it I love it!! Zoodles are amazing and totally make it worth it.

So Sunday's have always been my toughest days. We have family dinner with extended family every Sunday. It's fun all the kids run wild and all the adults relax, chat and drink. I love my extended family but family is way easier with some wine!! I also have my sons bday which will be a bit of chaos with no wine. I would skip dinner tonight but it's my father in laws bday. Anyway I will stop complaining and I know I will get through it.

Wow just now catching up in everything. Sound like most of us have been tempted fiercely this week and came out on top! Great job everyone... On Friday I had such a bad day at work and was worrying about a friend who had to have emergency surgery and I so badly wanted a glass of wine to unwind. My solution was to take a steamy hot shower. Definitely helped with the tension! Today I enjoyed an excellent compliant lunch at Aladdin's eatery and have the pork carnitas from the book in the crock pot. House is smelling delicious already!

Laura, I have this little handheld spiralizer and it works great for cucumber, zucchini and carrots and takes up almost no space!

Jen, sorry to hear about the tuna, but at least it was only three days! I had no idea there was soy in tuna, but I had to carefully check all my labels once I found out!

TerraZ, that is AMAZING!! That's one of the ways my sugar addiction gets really out of hand, when baking. I am so impressed!! You ladies are so awesome! :)

I got hit by the extreme tired this morning!! I slept in until 6:30 (that is sleeping in for me, believe it or not) but had set my alarm to go to the gym, and I had to peel myself out of bed. I had some coconut milk in my black tea and it was SO delicious - way better than I had expected!! Managed to get my weight training in but was too tired to do cardio. Might try again later in the day. I know these are the days of tired, according to the schedule - but after today, we have our first seven days down!!! :D

I woke up the same. slept for 10 hours, could barely get up and function. I forgot that is what the book said to expect, I was wondering if I was immaculately pregnant?

Today was a bit hard - I had a few friends over for a netflix and chill afternoon and one of them brought a chocolate cake. It looked )and smelled) delicious. But I did not cave!

I've had a bit of a headache the last two days - nothing terrible, but enough to be annoying. How is everyone sleeping? I'm not sleeping like a rock but I am sleeping better than I was - aside from Thursday night. I slept like the dead and was so disoriented when I woke up! I seem to have even turned my alarm off without realizing it - and that never happens to me, I'm such a light sleeper.

Speaking of which, my bed is calling my name....

I made it through Sunday!!! Birthday party and Sunday dinner down. My sister in law made a deconstructed salad which was awesome. She had pecans, pears, prosciutto, cheese, salad dressing. She made a yummy stew too. I couldn't eat the stew because there was wine in it. I brought some grilled chicken and my own salad dressing. I got to add whatever I wanted to the salad it it was awesome.

Terra, you deserve an award for being able to resist temptation while making the cake!  Good for you!  I'm glad you were able to enjoy the party and dinner too. 

My sleep hasn't seemed affected other than a couple of weird dreams.  One was about steak and crab (I can't stand the taste of crab) and the other was about bread.  So far my biggest temptation has been the scale.  I'm trying to stay focused on the good health aspect but it's hard to resist doing a weigh-in to see if there's been any progress there too.  If I need to, I'll ask my husband to hide it somewhere for the next few weeks.  

Bummer about the tuna, good thing you caught it now though!  Interested in hearing what you think about the goodies you got in.  Do you add the vanilla powder to the coffee before you brew it?  I was a huge coffee drinker before I got pregnant, and I enjoy a small cup every once in a while now... it seems like such a treat after not drinking it for so long!   

I may put it in the french press with the coffee grounds or mix it into the coconut milk and then could use that for either coffee or tea.  I'll have to try both ways and see what works best.  I did add some cocoa powder and cinnamon to my coconut milk for a cup of coffee today and it was good.  I'm not a fancy coffee drinker - typically took it with either just cream or with cream and a little sugar - so I'm not trying to replicate anything here but am just experimenting with different tastes.  I'm not missing the sweetness of my tea nearly as much as I thought I would either. 

You guys just reminded me I have a bunch of vanilla pods in my freezer that I need to sue. Since I'm not going to be baking anything sweet any time soon I may as well try putting one in the french press my coffee!

I had my first food-related dream last night - I ordered lasagna and a soft pretzel with cheese sauce for lunch and didn't realize what I'd done until after I'd eaten it all. Very odd - those aren't things I eat a lot of or crave.

I didn't sleep very well last night, but I always have a hard time getting to sleep Sunday nights.

Hi all.  I don't normally spend too much time on the weekends on my computer, since I sit at one all day for my job, so I'm just catching up now on everyone's progress.

I'm so proud of those of you who have overcome real obstacles, like birthday parties and family dinners!  In my first week, I haven't had any real temptation.  I've eaten all but one meal at home, and the time I did go out, I picked the restaurant knowing I could get something compliant there.  The only craving I've had was for beer the night we went out to dinner.  My friend ordered a beer, and I REALLY wanted one.  I'm glad we chose to do the meal plan from the book for the first week.  It was a lot of prep, but it was also a lot of food and a lot of variety, which I think is good for the first week.  For the second week I made my own meal plan.  I'm hoping it's less prep/cooking, and it's still filling and interesting enough to not have many cravings.  I realized as long as I stay full, I'm fine.

Physically, I'm crazy tired today, even after getting about 7.5 hours of sleep.  I've been really tired since this started.  I thought I might be past that by today :(.  I'm also feeling bloated, which I know is normal.  After a week, I'm just ready to have more energy and feel thinner!  But I know these things take time.

Congrats to everyone for making it through week 1, and good luck with week 2!  I'm so glad to have all of your support.   

CG, I've been sleeping like a ROCK too, and SO tired when I wake up. Today I was really dragging. On days when I hit the gym, I normally do 4-6 miles of cardio at a power walk clip (13-15 min miles) but today I could barely scratch out four miles at seventeen minute miles. :(

Terra, so glad you got to enjoy your salad!! I was so nervous the salad dressings would be gross because I HATE just plain oil and vinegar, but we made a compliant balsamic that was delicious, and a ranch that was also great!

jen, I've been surprised by how much I've been enjoying tea, too!! Although today I nearly destroyed everything, thankfully I checked the tea ingredients because my green tea with pomegranate contained soy! Luckily it isn't what I've been drinking the past week so I don't have to restart, but that was a close call.

GalaxiGrl, I know you're going to get there. It sounds like you're doing great, especially resisting the beer! And, we can all feel some victory today because we made it through the first week!! Hang in there!

Personally, I'm finding myself obsessing over making sure we have enough food. When I planned this out, I didn't realize that we were going to be eating SO much, but both my boyfriend and I are pretty much guzzling what we have! The leftovers aren't lasting as long as I'd hoped they might - definitely going to make sure I double things in the future and stock up on some generic grilled chicken or steak to put on salads! Planning to hard boil a ton of eggs for that purpose, too. :)

Physically, I'm crazy tired today, even after getting about 7.5 hours of sleep. I've been really tired since this started. I thought I might be past that by today :(. I'm also feeling bloated, which I know is normal. After a week, I'm just ready to have more energy and feel thinner! But I know these things take time.

Congrats to everyone for making it through week 1, and good luck with week 2! I'm so glad to have all of your support.

I could've written this! I was almost late to work this morning as I just could not drag myself out of bed. I drank black coffee this morning and I never have coffee at all, I'm a tea drinker and I just NEEDED the caffeine.

I'm also bloated and have been having some tummy issues in the bathroom... Hopefully it'll go away soon!

Personally, I'm finding myself obsessing over making sure we have enough food. When I planned this out, I didn't realize that we were going to be eating SO much, but both my boyfriend and I are pretty much guzzling what we have! The leftovers aren't lasting as long as I'd hoped they might - definitely going to make sure I double things in the future and stock up on some generic grilled chicken or steak to put on salads! Planning to hard boil a ton of eggs for that purpose, too. :)

I agree! I can't believe how much I've been eating! My husband and I Cook a meal and look at the amount and we say, oh that'll last us two meals... And then twenty minutes later it's gone....

Uggggg i woke up after about 8+ hours of sleep with a headache and feel puffy, groggy and tired.  I feel hungover!!  I don't remember feeling like this any other time I have done it.  It's nice to read I am not the only one feeling this way.  Hoping this all goes away soon.  On a more positive note it's monday;)  Good luck everyone this week.  We made it through week 1!!

I could've written this! I was almost late to work this morning as I just could not drag myself out of bed. I drank black coffee this morning and I never have coffee at all, I'm a tea drinker and I just NEEDED the caffeine.

I'm also bloated and have been having some tummy issues in the bathroom... Hopefully it'll go away soon!

I'm the same way with the coffee!  I normally drink coffee for the taste, not an energy boost, but I've felt like I've NEEDED it every day since this started.  I think we just have to trudge through one more week until we have tons of energy!  We can do it!

I wanted to share a few fun recipes with y'all.  We made these for our mini Oscar party last night, and they were fantastic!

Bora Bora Fireballs:

http://meljoulwan.com/2013/03/05/bora-bora-fireballs/

I think these would be great to make and keep in the fridge for a snack.

Salt & Vinegar Wings:

http://www.casadecrews.com/2014/02/salt-and-vinegar-chicken-wings-for-sundaysupper.html

These were SO simple to make and really tasty!  (And, yes, Old Bay is compliant.  I checked the ingredients twice!)

I too am sleeping so well, and it has been so hard to wake up! But that being said I do feel pretty good today, way more energy and feeling pretty lean and mean :) I am totally going to make those chicken wings galaxgrl. Had a great dinner last night with a supportive friend who made a giant beet bake, kale and some haddock.

Yey for friends who "get it!"

Hang in there, Terraz!! You can get through this!!

Galaxigrl, thanks for the recipes - they look SO yummy! (I don't know if you understand how excited I am to see that Old Bay is compliant!!)

Muez - love your supportive friend! (A beet bake sounds AMAZING)

We had friends over last night and they kept asking what they could bring, even offering to bring a "veggie dessert" (whatever that means) and I was like, "Well, snacking and desserts are kind of contrary to the idea here..."

Archived