Night time gut discomfort and HUNGRY

FusaroFTW

I am on day 22... Home stretch! It's been a rough journey, but ive learned a lot and excited to hopefully see the "magic" soon ...

Few big concerns:

1) it seems that 4-5 nights a week i lay down for bed and start experiencing gas and bloating discomfort... To the point that i leave gas x in my nightstand to reduce cramps so i can sleep. I know a million things could be causing this-but at night and so frequently?

2) im tired constantly and was hoping whole30 would help but so far im lethargic frequently. I keep busy but could easily nap multiple times a day if i had the time

3) im always hungry. Ive always been this way. I think about Dinner while eating bfast. I love food. Im tryinf to stick to 3-4 large meals a day but within an hour or so of eating im hungry again. I end up snacking on protein or fat. Most days= Bfast is 3 hard boil eggs, coffee with creamed organic coconut and sometimes curry pumpkin puree soup made with coconut milk. Lunch is large (5-6oz) of meat with half avocado, baked sweet potato or carrots with 3-5oz veggies (usually sauteed cabbge in evoo or bell peppers). Dinner is same as lunch. Sometimes i throw in 1 small granny smith apple. But i am always hungry. Im afraid ive gained weight. I sleep 7-8hurs night and CF 3x per week. Been taking super enzymes for ~1 week now. Hoping itll help with gut discomfort. I was eating soaked cashews and stopped about ~2days ago...

Thoughts? Help!

• Moderators

The combination of gas, digestive discomfort, and hunger suggests you may not be digesting your food very well. I'm glad you are taking the Super Enzymes. Are you taking enough with each meal to get a warm feeling in your stomach? The idea is to add one with each meal until the number you take gives you a warm feeling. Some people get up to 3 or 4 before feeling the warmth.

Your meals don't sound big to me, but I may be bigger than you. I eat more when I am hungry, but find that eating 3 times per day works for me nowadays. It took me a long time to get there however. I ate 5 to 6 times per day in the early months of Whole30-type eating.

Tom - thank you SO much for the quick response. Just knowing that this is not absolutely abnormal is more helpful than you know... so thank you:)

I was only taking 1 super enzyme (by NOW) per meal, because on the bottle it says: "serving = 1 capsule" for the last week. I am going to increase it, slowly, and start with 2 per meal, and if no warm feeling after a few days then increase to 3 etc. I haven't heard of the warm feeling before, so I am excited to know what I should be looking for (to ensure they're working). I am also taking fish oil (SBF). AND, glad to know that my meals don't look TOO huge. PS: what are your thoughts on home brewed kombucha? We love kombucha (http://www.synergydrinks.com/enlightened/kombucha_enlightened_original.aspx) we love this stuff because sugar is so low and tastes so good. Anyways, we just started brewing our own using this kit (http://kombuchabrooklyn.com/). We have to add 1 cup of sugar to the "mother" while it brews - does this make it not Whole30?

It will be ready to drink AFTER my whole30, but I want to stay true to whole30 afterwards as much as possible... Thoughts?

• Moderators

I have been drinking kombucha for about a month now and love it. Most of the sugar is consumed in the process of kombucha brewing and kombucha is an excellent probiotic. You can drink kombucha during a Whole30. However, we advise that you use kombuchas that lists only 2 grams of sugar per serving. The ones that list more sugar are being sweetened for taste and not simply to brew the kombucha and those should be avoided. When I went through the offerings at my local health food store recently, only the GT Dave's brand was low in sugar, but several of the GT Dave's flavors listed too much sugar, so I avoided buying them. That still left me with 8 or 10 flavors to enjoy.

The cup of sugar you are adding to the mother while it brews should be consumed, so you should be fine with your home brew.

Archived