Coconut Milk questions

wiscogirl

I found compliant coconut milk today, so here's two questions I have (I've done some googling but haven't found a ton of answers yet):

1) How long will it last in the fridge if I transferred the contents from the can to a glass container in the fridge?

2) Do I have to blend it with coffee for it to count as "healthy fat"with a meal? Or is it OK just stirred in? 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

What do I do with the remains of coconut milk after I skim off the coconut cream? Is the rest then just coconut water?

Most folks will shake the can or stir the contents to mix it. If you are only using the coconut cream, you can discard or use the rest as you choose.

Can I use coconut milk from a box? Or it has to be coconut milk from a can?

I wanted to make a chia seed pudding with coconut milk for breakfast! Is that allowed?

Coconut milk needs to be compliant. That means no off-plan additives or fillers. It's almost impossible to find tetra packs (the box) of coconut milk that are compliant, though it can be done, so look at ingredients lists carefully. It's easier to find canned compliant coconut milk, but again, you MUST look at the ingredients lists. My regular grocery store carries exactly no compliant coconut milk in any form, for instance. You need to read the ingredients lists.

Chia seed pudding with coconut milk for breakfast is exactly the opposite of what we want you to do on your Whole30. Every few months, some blogger creates some ghastly concoction, calls it Whole30, and people take it on as if it were a thing. It's not a thing. Here's the thing:

1. 1-2 palm-size portions of protein

2. 1-2 thumb-size portions of fat

3. 2-3 cups of veggies

Do that three times a day, the first within an hour of waking up.

Nuts and seeds are a fat source on Whole30, and are not recommended for regular consumption, since they keep people's sugar dragons roaring, cause digestive distress, and upset the Omega3/Omega6 balance we want you to achieve.

Chia pudding would give you a huge hit of seeds at the beginning of your day; no protein; and no veggies; and the coconut milk as a good fat source would really be wasted on all that mess. Don't eat it. Really.

For 30 days we want you to prepare and eat real food, not odd approximations of old habits.

You can do this. Eat up, eat well, eat protein/fat/veggies, and after 30 days if you think that pudding will make you healthier, go for it. I bet you'll change your mind.

Ok thanks a lot!! That's exactly what I needed to know!

Is it the added sugar that makes the coconut milk or almond butter (to be used moderately) non compliant? If it has 1g of sugar is that considered non compliant?

Ok thanks a lot!! That's exactly what I needed to know!

Is it the added sugar that makes the coconut milk or almond butter (to be used moderately) non compliant? If it has 1g of sugar is that considered non compliant?

Added sugar is certainly one of the ingredients to look for. And you do specifically want to look at the Ingredients list. The nutritional chart is not what you're looking for. Look for the word Ingredients and look at the words following that. That's what's actually in the product. Any form of sugar or fake sugar in the ingredients list excludes it.

Even more problematic are carrageenan, msg, and other additives.

Ingredients lists are what you need to look at. Read them all, and don't trust what other people say about a product. Read the Ingredients lists for yourself. Expect to be astonished at how many things have added sugar, soy, carrageenan, msg, and other nasties.

Archived