Cooking with wine

Lesliebcsr

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

SugarcubeOD, do you mind expanding on your answer a bit? I'm on Day 15. I have no problem with leaving wine out completely for the 30 days, but would like to consider intermittent cooking with it once the 30 days are done. Your thoughts? Thanks.

I'm not her, but just for an official take on alcohol, you can check out the Alcohol Manifesto.

Once you've done a Whole30 and done all your reintroductions, it's pretty much up to you what you want to have and how often. If you have no noticeable ill effects from sometimes cooking with wine and there are recipes you like that use it, your decision may be that it's worth it, and that's fine. I think most of us have things we have post-Whole30 that we know are not necessarily making us healthier, the trick is to find a balance that overall keeps you healthy physically and doesn't leave you feeling deprived or like you're missing out on your favorite items. You just really have to pay attention, and be honest with yourself -- if you find that occasionally making beef burgundy or whatever devolves into finishing off a bottle of wine by yourself on a Friday night on a regular basis (not saying that's you, it's just an example), then you have to be able to step back and say, this is no longer a healthy thing for me.

Sorry if this is a dumb question - but is it acceptable and compliant to cook with wine for flavor purposes since the alcohol burns off during the cooking process?

That is, unfortunately, a kitchen myth that will not die! There are very, very few recipes that involve long enough simmering times to evaporate all of the alcohol, sorry. Believe me, I wish it were so...

• Moderators

That is, unfortunately, a kitchen myth that will not die! There are very, very few recipes that involve long enough simmering times to evaporate all of the alcohol, sorry. Believe me, I wish it were so...

I believe you're right and that either long simmering times or flambe is what works to get rid of the alcohol.

To expand on my answer for the poster above, no alcohol of any kind is allowed on the Whole30 including in vanilla.  That's a rule... just like no dairy, not even a little grass fed cream in your coffee...

Thanks for asking this question! And thanks to everyone who answered.

My brother has an amazing Italian beef recipe that I want to make and it uses red wine to deglaze the pan. The flavor will be missed, but I am going to try to deglaze with water and little bit of vinegar to get a little bit of that flavor back.

My mother who is allergic to alcohol can definitely back this up. Any dish cooked in any form of alcohol for any length of time makes her bright red and itchy.

Incidentally, that's why beer battered fish is not halal (I used to work with a Muslim family so I did a lot of googling.) even though the alcohol is greatly reduced in cooking, it's still present.

Thanks for asking this question! And thanks to everyone who answered.

My brother has an amazing Italian beef recipe that I want to make and it uses red wine to deglaze the pan. The flavor will be missed, but I am going to try to deglaze with water and little bit of vinegar to get a little bit of that flavor back.

Broth and red wine vinegar would probably get you closer to the flavor. If you're not making your own beef stock, then it's very unlikely that you'll find a compliant beef broth, but chicken or veg stock will add a little something savory :) 

Archived