Whole 30 starts February 16!

lal001

• Moderators

One questions regarding filling salads....do you look at how much vegetables you eat? I need a lot to keep me going until the next meal and that worries me!

Why does that worry you?  If you mean you need a lot of greens to keep you going, then yes, you'd need a veritable wheelbarrow full to feel full.  We suggest if you want salad, you add heartier vegetables to it... peppers, carrots, snap peas, even cooked veggies like squash and broccoli... this will definitely help fill you up.

The thing that makes you and keeps you full tho is fat... and protein of course.  I don't see you mention these in your post... just 'filling vegetable and salad plates'.  Are you doing a vegetarian Whole30 or did you just not mention meat and fat in your post?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started yesterday also- with hubby and 2 little kids.  

I have been sick, as have the kids (congestion, coughing etc.)  But Day 1 was great with yummy food.  My only problem with Day 1 is that there are 29 more of them, lol.  I've been in the kitchen ALOT.  

Had a food dream last night where I forgot about what was compliant and ended up ordering 2 sodas and a dozen pastries from a bakery...that was fun.   :P

Waiting for the tough days to come- they have to be coming I'm sure.

Day 2 MUCH easier for me than Day 1. No meaningful cravings to speak of and I even worked out this morning. I will definitely say that the walk I took yesterday when I started having cravings helped a lot. It even motivated me to power through my "after work drinks" with nothing more than a club soda with lime. Feeling good!

Day 2 has gone well. No hangover. Hoping I avoid it all together :-D. My difficulty comes around dinner, I'm used to snacking before I eat and while I eat, even if it was healthy food I was still overeating. I'm getting that habit under control by focusing on my task at hand and drinking lots of water.

Day 2 - So far, so good!

Food has been on point. Aside from the habitual motion of snacking, I haven't struggled with cravings yet. I tried olives as a pre-workout and it worked beautifully! I was a little slow at Crossfit today, but I still felt good. I also discovered that LaCroix lime is a great substitute for my Moscow Mules (as close as I could get, at least)

Hi, 

I am starting my second Whole 30 tomorrow. Lacking quite a bit of motivation as I am very low in energy and just want nothing other than sugar cereal and pizza. Can't figure out if I am feeling that because of my planned starting date or if I need this because of that. Tough call indeed. Regardless, will be nice to get support. Have a great night everyone. 

Why does that worry you?  If you mean you need a lot of greens to keep you going, then yes, you'd need a veritable wheelbarrow full to feel full.  We suggest if you want salad, you add heartier vegetables to it... peppers, carrots, snap peas, even cooked veggies like squash and broccoli... this will definitely help fill you up.

The thing that makes you and keeps you full tho is fat... and protein of course.  I don't see you mention these in your post... just 'filling vegetable and salad plates'.  Are you doing a vegetarian Whole30 or did you just not mention meat and fat in your post?

Hi!

thanks a lot for the reply!

I do have protein and fat in every meal too, but I think my worries about vegetables came from those readings I have made during the past years where certain diets warn you about not too many vegetables in comparison to the amount of protein. I guess those thoughts stuck to my head and kept me wondering if I was having too many!. The reason why I chose Whole30 is because I think is the healthiest option but I cannot help having those questions! 

Thanks again!

Hi All!  I started my first Whole30 yesterday, 2/18.  So far so good.  The trick for me is bulk cooking on the weekends so that I have plenty of compliant options to choose from and am not tempted to snack.  Check out the Chowstalker Whole30 page for recipe inspiration: 

http://stalkerville.net/diet/whole30/  It has been a godsend for me! 

Day 3 and my first NSV ... came home from work and didn't want to bite anyone's head off (the kids were happy about that lol)!  Last night I was FAMISHED when I got home and even though I was semi-prepared, kids changed plans and I ended up eating emergency food for dinner and felt better almost immediately.  Tonight, I'm leisurely cooking dinner and prepping for tomorrow :)  I can do this!

• Moderators

Hi!

thanks a lot for the reply!

I do have protein and fat in every meal too, but I think my worries about vegetables came from those readings I have made during the past years where certain diets warn you about not too many vegetables in comparison to the amount of protein. I guess those thoughts stuck to my head and kept me wondering if I was having too many!. The reason why I chose Whole30 is because I think is the healthiest option but I cannot help having those questions! 

Thanks again!

I have never heard of having too many vegetables related to how much protein you're eating... In general most diet plans (of which the Whole30 is not one... just for the record) list unlimited vegetables as 'free' or 'zero points'... I would seriously not worry about that with your whole30.  Eat as many veggies as you want!

Okay, edited to add... I have heard of Atkins and the like where they don't want you eating too many carby vegetables (like potato and other carb dense veggies) but your whole30 is nothing like that so fill your plate with veggies, eat a serving of carb dense veggies every so often also and enjoy your whole30!

Day 3 was whole 30 compliant and successful. Felt a little cranky today but I'm not sure if I should relate it to whole30 or pms. I'm glad I live with someone who is supportive. Tomorrow will be my first time eating dinner at a restaurant on the whole 30. I'm planning to ask how they cook their meat (oils and marinades) and go from there. Hoping to add lots of meat to a veggie filled salas. Bringing my own dressing.

So last night was a challenge for me.  A friend invited us over for beer, wine, cheese & crackers.  I successfully watched the others indulge while I sipped a 'mocktail' made of seltzer water and a splash of peach infused white balsamic vinegar.  Sounds weird, I know, but it was actually quite tasty and helped me feel like part of the party instead of that weird girl who's not drinking.  Yay!  Now my only issue is they probably think I'm pregnant, because that is the most logical conclusion when you see a 30-something newlywed refuse a drink.

Day 4...Yesterday both kids had simultaneous meltdowns around 4pm, which I wasn't handling well.  I told them both they better get it under control quick before mommy loses it.  Looks like a bit of "Kill all the things" hit us.  Escaped to the library play area so they could find some fun and I could unwind.

Anyone have experience with their kids doing a Whole 30?  I sometimes cannot keep these kids full.  They're like birds chirping for more worms constantly. Their dinner last night for example: Lemon Garlic chicken and potato bowls, an apple with cinnamon, a hard boiled egg and 1/2 avocado.  I gave them the chicken bowl and fruit for dinner and the other items followed with each "I'M HUNGRY!"  I finally realized my son had drank none of his water, which I then insisted he drink before I put any more food out for him.  Mind you, he's only 6- not a 15 year old!  And my daughter is only 2.  Though she may just be saying she's hungry because big brother is. :wacko:

Day 5 and the weekend is here. This will be my test. I'm a weekend snacker and grazer. I did great during the week with snacking because I'm so busy. My weekend plan is to just keep busy. We are going out tonight for a friend's birthday at Dave and Busters. Checking out their menu ahead of time. Club soda and lemons and limes will be my friend. I didn't really hesitate to join in this social activity because I know we will stay busy at this place. I will just be doing some whole30 explaining tonight and I'm okay with that.

Day 6. How's everyone doing? Had a successful night out at Dave and Busters last night. My friends were very supportive. Slowly learning the difference between cravings and hunger. I drove us an hour home last night and had food in my back seat as an emergency dinner in case I couldn't find anything on their menu. Pre-whole30 I probably would of snacked on it all just out of pure boredom or just because for no reason. I knew it just sounded good but I wasn't hungry so I drank a bottle of water on the way home. Small victory. Woke up with a headache this morning as if I had drank last night. Once again, I'm extremely prone to migraines/headaches (especially when I first wake up) . Something I'm hoping to eliminate. I was promised an omelette this morning and I can't wait! Report cards will keep me busy all day!

I'm starting my second week of the Whole30 and it hasn't been too bad. I have had a few dreams of chocolate cake, and as I handed snacks out to my Sunday School class yesterday I so wanted to put that cookie in my mouth, but I overcame! I'm also learning that planning meals and some advanced prep time really helps me stay on track. Good luck to all of you week two participants.

We've made it through week 1 folks!  How is everyone doing?  I'm feeling pretty good and noticing that I have more energy.  This morning I woke up 3 minutes before the alarm and decided to just get up.  No hitting snooze!!!  That's sort of a miracle for me.  I'm also relieved that the 'kill all the things' phase is over.  That was not pretty :-/

Hi All, 

I'm a little late to the party here, but started on Feb 16th as well and am on day 8. This is my second whole 30, my first went so well (started in Aug 2015) I extended it into 68 days and really followed the diet pretty strictly, aside from some red wine and dark chocolate, until Thanksgiving. From there I fell into some very bad food habits again. I would eat really well all day long, but once the evening arrived and the kids were in bed, I'd have a glass (or bottle) of wine and then start binge eating. Some nights weren't bad, others however I could polish off a bag of lays potato chips no problem. So my main goal here is to change my tired eating habits, maybe just go to bed earlier ;)

Speaking of tired, I'm exhausted today. Maybe due to the sickness going between my 2 kiddos, but so tired. Waiting for that tiger blood phase. Goal for tonight: get 8 hours of sleep. 

Looking forward to having a good support group on here!

Happy day 8. Keep up all the hard work friends!!! 

Hi everyone!

8 days! I can honestly say that these 8 days have been easier food-wise than I expected. I have had no cravings (so far) and I've been tempted a million different times and haven't even considered cheating. My body, on the other hand, hasn't been too happy. I've experienced the carb flu, slight breakouts, headaches, skin redness, bad coughing, energy slumps, you name it, all around the time frames I'm supposed to. I even drove to Crossfit tonight and was so tired that I fell asleep in the parking lot and missed my class. The only thing making it bearable is knowing that I'll come out of the "misery" even better than before. I hope to spend my weekend prepping a lot of meals just to save on time during the week and hopefully get a few workouts in. Come on, a Tiger Blood! Haha. Hope everyone is doing great!

Archived