A Work In Progress - Michelle's Whole30 Journey Continues...

Chellesdoingr8

Originally, I began the Whole30 program in May of 2015.  You will feel like a million bucks once that Tiger's Blood kicks in...jus' sayin'!! :D

However, I slowly began spiralling into oblivion around Christmas up until now.  I wasn't posting anymore and just did my own thing.  BOO!! :huh:

Enough is enough...I am beginning Day 1 today...I always start on odd days of the month.  Guess it doesn't matter as long as I ma doing it ;)

In order not to feel overwhelmed...I am keeping my meals quite simple for the first week or so...for breakfast I had two boiled eggs and a handful of blueberries...can't forget the black coffee...I am going to have more vegetables with my protein and sweet potatoes here and there.

Gonna recommit to posting on this blog daily even though it may only be a couple of lines.  Along with reading some folks posts to keep me inspired. 

I am a brand new Gramma six months in with another sweet bundle coming in May...Gramma's gotta keep healthy and have energy for my two little peanuts!!! 

Later B)

• 1 month later...

Good morning Whole30 people!!!

I am cruising along on Day 17.  On May 2 I am going for an MRI on my bowels.  Nothing serious.  My gastroenterologist wants to make sure everything is pretty in there and I know it will be ;)

I feel I am finally on a roll as previously I would start...then give in to sugar...start again...found the Cadbury Mini-Eggs...sigh...  Now I am back on track.

It is nice to have a buddy at work doing this with me.  We are having a unit meeting in May.  She is bringing fruit.  I am bringing veggies.  Our supervisor is respecting our self-care journey and is bringing nuts.

I don't like going for lunch because I don't know if there will be something for me to eat, or if I will watch everyone and drink water.  That being said, my buddy and I are going to explore different restaurants once a month and challenge ourselves to find healthy places.  We will look at the menus first :blink:

Anyways...life is GREAT on the Whole30...I feel GREAT...my brain and body are HAPPY!!  Woot woot!!  Can you say Tiger's blood?!  I forgot how good it feels :P

Hope your day is AWESOME!!!

Michelle B)

Day 20 - Still going strong!!  I have incorporated a morning meditation with my healthy lifestyle.  The meditation is for 21 days and I am doing a second round.  I am trying to include as much self-care stuff as possible this time round.

I feel less like a stuffed sausage and more positive.  Previously, the thought of going to a restaurant caused me a lot of anxiety.  Now I look at the menu ahead of time.  For example, there is an ice cream place that my kids and I like to go to once or twice during the summer.  I am staying away from dairy.  However, they have a frozen fruit dessert that is just frozen fruit with a banana base.  Vegan and sugar free. 

I have pre-ordered Melissa's new book "Food Freedom Forever."  I am really looking forward to that as I am a comfort eater from WAY back!!

My friend and I are meeting for breakfast today.  I have been to this restaurant before and can get a vegetarian omelette with no cheese and a side of freshly cut fruit.  It's all good!!

Have a great day!!

Michelle B)

Sounds like you're doing great! I'm on Day 17! I can relate on the stress of finding a place to dine out, I've been googling everything when I know I will have to eat out for an event. The times its me and my partner only, he doesn't mind going to compliant restaurants so thats a breeze. 

What really overwhelms me is Whole Foods! You go in there with a false sense of security that everything will be healthy and then you start reading labels and you realize just how much you can't have and it can be a bit much. It took me a solid 30 minutes to find an approved almond milk and the feeling of being overwhelmed and clueless really got to me. Seems so trivial to be overwhelmed by that, but I'm so determined that I feel any slip up would ruin the momentum I've built. 

Best of luck on your remaining 10 days! I feel I'm going to extend my W30 to W60 since I "lost" 14ish days to fatigue. 

Hi JeanetteO!!  I totally understand your almond milk story.  Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.  I began my first Whole30 journey last May.  I found a breakfast that I thought I would like that called for Almond Milk.  I thought I bought a compliant one until I read the label.  Boo. 

I plan on extending my W30 to a W60 also.  Like you, I have built up a momentum. 

Congrats on what should be Day 18 for you!!  Woohoo!!!  WE CAN DO THIS!!

Michelle B)

Day 21 is coming to a close.  Some of my NSV thus far?  My clothes feel loose, my skin is glowing, I have more energy and the biggest + of all?  I sleep way better than I have in a long time. 

Last year I was doing a round of Whole 30 during my birthday.  This year I will be continuing the Whole 30 but may look at a Paleo option for a birthday cake.  My family won't know the difference.  I will have to explore some recipes.  Who knows?  I may change my mind by the time June swings around anyway. 

For now, I am gonna keep on keepin' on.

Cheers!!

Michelle B)

April is just flying by!!  I am really happy that spring has sprung which means I am going to have to start thinking about getting more active.  Since the weather has been so nice, may daughter and I plan taking my grandson for walks.  He will be in a stroller...we won't be...which means we can pick up the pace.

I am feeling very positive as of late, could be a combination of the meditation that I do every morning at 5:00 am (except for weekends...I'm not that good) and the tiger's blood.  At any rate, I am not questioning it.

My goal for the next go round (Whole60) will be to try new recipes from the Well Fed 1 and 2 cookbooks.  Variety is the spice of life!!

So...my next goals are 1) Physical activity 2) New recipes.  It can only get better from here.

Cheers!!

Michelle B)

Day 23 :D

I am feeling great!!  I tried to get back in to this soooo many times (since Christmas) and would be good for four, five or six days then cave in to the ice cream or Cadbury mini eggs.  It feels good to be back in a rhythm again :wub:   I wonder if the meditation I am doing is adding to this awesome feeling.  I am considering getting another one that will help improve sleep.  Once I hit the pillow, it doesn't take me long to fall asleep.  The biggest issue I continue to have is my cat who likes to meow at 2:00 am.  Grrrr :blink:

Looking forward to my next round which will piggyback this one!!  I have to tell you all that chocolate and ice cream do not taste as good as this feeling of wellness that I am enjoying!!  Touché!!

Michelle B)

"My goal for the next go round (Whole60) will be to try new recipes from the Well Fed 1 and 2 cookbooks."

You piqued my interest with these books, maybe I'll splurge and get them for myself when I finish my first round, I want to find a non-food reward. I'm doing the same and piggybacking into a W60 and I gotta say I'm really looking forward to it. I'm 10 days shy of W30! Haha my next mini celebration will be day 45  :P:D  B)  

I completely agree about chocolate, etc not looking as good! My boyfriend inhales chocolate like its air...doesn't gain an ounce  <_<  :wacko:  ...and I see him noshing on it and it just doesn't interest me! I'm in some weird mojo state of being apparently, because I would normally cave in a heartbeat. 

Lets keep the tiger blood pumping!! Woot woot  B) 

Hey JeanetteO...before splurging check out the author's website:

http://meljoulwan.com/recipes-index/

Her recipes sound DELISH!!! 

I tried a new favorite today...plantain fried in olive oil.  Next time I will try coconut oil.  We can nosh on that while your boyfriend, with the high metabolism, noshes on chocolate!!! LOL!!!

Gotta love the tiger blood, sista!!  Looking forward to continuing our journey together!!!

Michelle B)

Day 25 ;)

I had a revelation yesterday.  I have been avoiding unit lunches like the plague.  Previously, they caused me stress because it is hard to find restaurants that make meals the way I need to eat them.  In the future, instead of appearing like a poo-poo-er, I will ask where we are going ahead of time.  I will then have a gander at the menu to see if there is something that I could tweak and feel good about eating.  If not, I will eat my lunch ahead of time, and while my co-workers are eating, I will have a warm cup of tea.  I need to learn to relax.

I am going to try that chocolate chili recipe, this weekend, that I have seen rave reviews on this weekend :D Looking for new, compliant recipes is like an adventure for me :lol:

Have a great day!!!

Michelle B)

Hey JeanetteO...before splurging check out the author's website:

http://meljoulwan.com/recipes-index/

Her recipes sound DELISH!!! 

I tried a new favorite today...plantain fried in olive oil.  Next time I will try coconut oil.  We can nosh on that while your boyfriend, with the high metabolism, noshes on chocolate!!! LOL!!!

Gotta love the tiger blood, sista!!  Looking forward to continuing our journey together!!!

Michelle B)

Thanks!! I'm glad you linked me, I can try a few out and see how it goes. :D

Tiger blood, better late than never. I definitely didn't match up to the timeline. I didn't have cravings or anger, but I was tired like no other. Once I upped my portions, I've been swimming in it haha, I'm hoping it rolls over into my W60.

I always check the menu before I go somewhere, and I google the name and whole 30 together and it usually points me to posts that talk about that place. Its pretty handy. In most cases, you could always be safe by getting a salad with EVOO and a lemon. I did this when I had no say in the restaurant, and nothing else on the menu was remotely compliant. Not the best, but its the company we're going for anyways, right?

Cheers! 

Hey Whole30 people!!!

It is 10:30 pm and I have Mel Joulwan's "My Favorite Chili" in the slow cooker.  By morning, I will have me some chili :D Mel J. has some awesome recipes!!  The month of May will be experimenting with Mel J. recipes.  Hope all is well in your Whole30 world!!

Cheers!!

Michelle B)

Day 27 and I'm still :D!!!

The chocolate chili is definitely a make again recipe.  Delicious!!  I woke up a couple of times during the night, because of my meowing cat, and I could smell it from the kitchen just a brewing in the slow cooker!!

I have my game plan for May and I am ready, set, go!! 

Hope all is well in your Whole30 world ;)

Michelle B)

Day 28 :D

This initial round has not been too bad at all.  I really think the upcoming MRI was the "lit match" to my butt :wacko: I have stayed away from the scale and will continue doing so until Thursday morning.  From there, Whole 60, here I come  ;)

So far the SCV have been, my pants feel loose.  No more do I feel like a sausage in a casing :( I feel stronger mentally and emotionally.  Even though I am battling anemia, I feel my energy has increased.  Life is great!!!

I highly recommend meditation through this all too.  I believe it is helping in more ways than one!!

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Michelle B)

Love reading through your posts, and I'm excited for the Tiger Blood switch to happen (I'm on Day 12 of my first Whole30).  Glad you reminded me about Mel Joulwan, I'm intrigued by the chili.

Congrats on your near completion of Whole30, and good for you for committing to a Whole60!!!

Good morning Whole30 people!!  Day 30 for this girl!!  Woot Woot!! Going to move on to a Whole60!! Gotta find a new recipe to make over the weekend!! It's all good!!

Cheers!!

Michelle B) 

CONGRATS!!!!!  :D 

Super excited for you reaching Day 30!!!! I'm right behind ya on Day 27 :) I'm glad I've got a W60 buddy in you because I bet there will be a few cravings now that the "end of the tunnel" is a bit further down the road  ;)

Good evening Whole30 people!!!

I am finishing up Day 30!!!  Non-scale victories so far?  Today a co-worker told me she noticed I have become happier in the last few weeks.  She also told me that I am looking really good.  Another co-worker told me that I am also looking really good and she could tell I am taking care of myself.  Proof in the pudding it starts with food...and meditation :wub:

Yesterday I saw my doctor who believes I have "leaky gut syndrome" or intestinal hyperpermeability.  I think she is right on the money as I am a Crohn's Disease survivor and this issue is prevalent with people who have Crohn's Disease.  There are things that I can do to assist in repairing this issue.  One of them is eating the way I have been in the past 30 days :D

I am now moving forward to my Whole60 ;) which will include various new recipes and more activity :)

Looking forward to continuing my healthy lifestyle journey with all of you!!

Cheers!!

Michelle B)

Archived