Lump in Throat

Hey all

I am 15 days into my first Whole30!  I am feeling fantastic and loving every minute of it!

Starting Saturday afternoon (roughly 2 days ago), I developed what I can only describe as a lump in my throat.  It feels like something (food?) is stuck back there and I constantly feel like I need to clear my throat, swallow, and/or make some awful hacking sound to get the "mystery object unstuck".  The feeling is nonexistent in the morning and worsens as the day progresses.

I am not having any trouble eating, drinking, or swallowing.  And it actually feels better when I'm drinking or swallowing.  I haven't tried any crazy new (compliant) foods in the past few days that I haven't already had throughout my whole30.  And I've never experienced something like this in the past (no history of indigestion or reflux).

Other than this weird sensation, I feel great.  Curious if anyone has advice as to what it might be?  Or experienced a similar sensation?   Hoping it leaves quickly, as it's rather annoying.  If it hasn't disappeared in a few days, I probably will go see a doctor - just to have a peace of mind that it's nothing serious. 

Thanks for your input! I appreciate you!

Laurie O

• Administrators

Are you congested or nasally?  It sounds to me like a post-nasal drip irritation.  As the day goes on the irritation gets worse.  You could also be fighting off something (pretty nasty cold/flu going around) which could be causing you to feel worse as the day goes on.

I'm no doctor but from my personal experience, eating or drinking does make post nasal irritation feel better and yes, it's not normally there in the morning to the same degree as later in the day.

No. No congestion or anything - I feel great other than the ghost object lodged in my throat! 

I teach group fitness and during the past 2 days, in classes where I don't use a mic, I can tell I'm not at my "full" voice - and straining to get there.  So perhaps it is my body fighting off something.  Also, the more I am aware of it - as the day goes on - I am belching quite frequently.  And I never belch - ever.

It's the darndest thing. 

• Administrators

The belching is because you are swallowing more and inevitably getting air.  Either because you are uncomfortable or because you keep "testing" to see if whatever is still there.  I've had a terrible cold for (OMG, 19 days now) and I've been burping like a trucker....but it's because I'm swallowing more overall due to discomfort.

I vote for you coming down with something but as always, we can't give medical advice so if you're worried, hop on over to the doctor.  You can also go into your bathroom and look at the back of your throat with a flashlight. If it's red, swollen, sore, you're probably getting sick.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

@Washwords @Laura_H -- something else I've learned since this time last year is that "lump in throat" is a good sign of anxiety. Are you guys anxious or worried about anything? Just putting it out there, could be way off base for you guys but this summer personally I had a very, very hard few months and had that "lump in throat" feeling all the time............naturopath gave me a remedy meant for generalized anxiety and it went away. 

Add me to the list!! I had it twice in week two - the first time really kind of scared me, I was also worried I had something lodged in my throat. Both times it only lasted about an hour. Would love to know what the connection could possibly be, it was very uncomfortable. I feel a little better that it wasn't just me! I've never had that happen before.

I don't think mine was caused by anxiety. I've dealt with pretty bad anxiety for years and never experienced that before. Additionally, during this time of my Whole 30, I was feeling really great - mentally and physically!

• 4 weeks later...

My boyfriend and I just started the Whole30 five days ago. On day one my bf started feeling the lump in his throat, and I started feeling it on day 3. We have no idea why-- no known food allergies, no abnormal amounts of stress, and no prior history of this symptom. It seems like it must be related to our diet since it started for him on day one, we are both feeling, and it has been the only change we can pinpoint for both of us. Has anybody found answers to their throat issues on Whole30? 

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, jumanjo69 said:

My boyfriend and I just started the Whole30 five days ago. On day one my bf started feeling the lump in his throat, and I started feeling it on day 3. We have no idea why-- no known food allergies, no abnormal amounts of stress, and no prior history of this symptom. It seems like it must be related to our diet since it started for him on day one, we are both feeling, and it has been the only change we can pinpoint for both of us. Has anybody found answers to their throat issues on Whole30? 

Hi @jumanjo69 - I see you've found a relevant thread to post in, therefore I have deleted the topic you made for the same issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jumanjo69-

I'm on day 9. Around day 4 or so I started getting similar sensation. Felt like small lumps (like small pieces of food I needed to swallow).  I did some searches and finally searched "detox side effects" and when i saw swollen lymph nodes (took me back to my childhood of allergy to fresh cut grass - I would tell my mom that it felt like something was stuck in my throat - ie my lymph nodes were swollen) I finally realize that is why my throat feels weird. According to this website (https://omdetox.com/8-detox-symptoms/) sounds like a normal side effect. In fact a good sign that your detox is working. My diet was very sugar heavy and I quit cold turkey.  Last night (day 8) I noticed pain around my jaw line to which is exactly where lymph nodes are located (amoung other locations ie armpit abdomen groin etc).  This morning i (finally) woke up without that sensation. So hopefully you and your boyfriend can relax a bit.  Sounds like your bodies are doing exactly what they should be. Keep it up☺ I feel like ive comfortably crossed over to coffee with no sugar.  A BIG step for me. Haha. 

Hello there! A few years ago I had a thyroidectomy and a few weeks into the healing I started having a the exact same lump in my throat feeling. I talked to my surgeon and he said "Oh, that's acid reflux. It's a possible side affect of the surgery and you'll probably have it forever". Nooooooooooo. So, I started googling natural remedies to reflux, tried a bunch of stuff, and what worked for me was apple cider vinegar in water. The reflux did indeed go away (but I honestly can't be sure if that's because my neck healed or because of the miracle ACV), but when I now occasionally get it, ACV does the trick.

I hope you figure it out!

• 9 months later...

Old thread but I too am having this issue. At first, I thought it might be a cold but I've ruled that out. Then I started to think it was related to food allergies because I'm eating a LOT more produce and I know some of that stuff tends to make my throat swell a bit. But it's been super consistent. Never getting any worse or better. Just always there, so I don't think it's a food allergy because that would come and go depending on what I ate that day.

The only consistent new thing I've been eating is coconut stuff (never ate coconut before really). I didn't think that I had a coconut allergy, but now I'm wondering if I do

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Archived