Unhappy belly after eating

Pmw

So...I had never heard of this FODMAP thing until searching the boards, and am thinking that may be my issue.  I've had painful bloating, gas (sorry...), belching, stomach gurgling after eating a few times on the whole30 which was worse last night and again tonight.   I've found that dried fruit of any kind is an issue.  

Last night's M3: grilled calamari over greens with balsamic vinegar and EVOO, salmon w/ lemon sauce over greens (BV+EVOO), pellegrino w/ lime 

Tonight's M3: mocha pulled beef in bibb lettuce w/ salsa, grilled veg (beets, white potatoes, carrots, onions, and hazelnuts), mixed olives. 

I think I'm doing right by portion sizes, following the template, and taking in a lot of water/herbal tea.  

I'm on day 15 (1st whole30), and was mostly GF before whole30 due to what I thought was a gluten intolerance (same issues as above...realized it years ago when drinking beer/eating pasta etc. so cut it out entirely). Have also been fighting an annoying cough for 2 solid weeks, and overall am just feeling pretty wiped out which has been demoralizing...I usually run or WOD 3-5x week depending on work/kid schedules. 

I'm wondering how long after cutting out the grey items from the Whole30 low FODMAP  list I should expect some relief? Or, any ideas on what else may be causing this? And last question, oh mighty forum gurus: any suggestions for immediate relief? 

Thank you! 

Is pellegrino a bubbly water? That sets my tummy off, any idea if it bothers you? And the onion in the other meal, also in the salsa, along with beets are fodmaps. The Whole30 fodmap list isn't great, look for the paleontology version, it's more complete and up to date. I'd link to it for you if I could, there are many better lists out there.

Took me about a week of low fodmap to see relief, and it was wonderful! After a few weeks of normal I started testing foods to see what I could tolerate.

I have trouble finding relief from the upper GI symptoms, but I've found that Constructive Rest Position from yoga does wonders for helping gas bubbles move along in my lower GI. I put my feet up on a wall, takes about 20 minutes of rest. If you google it, you'll see guides on CRP.

Good luck with this!

Your comments about dried fruit of any kind and beer and pasta sound just like me.  I have a sulfa allergy.  Look into it.  I get the same symptoms and sulfa and like-family preservatives are always the common denominator for me.  Sulfa is even in medications and vitamins.  It's naturally occurring in wine and beer. Sorry you're having trouble.  Hope that you find your answer!

>This< is a great list for people with FODMAP issues as it provides a traffic light system - foods to avoid, foods to eat in moderation, and foods to eat freely - eat from the green list for a week or so and see how you go.

Your dried fruit, nuts & onions will have been causing you issues if FODMAPS are the problem, as Beets - other than that your foods don't look too high FODMAP to me unless you're eating those in HUGE quantities, or drinking a lot of coffee - what else have you been eating?

I'm a low FODMAPer and I'm fine with San Pellegrino so long as I'm eating well. If I throw high FODMAPs into the mix then it becomes a problem because it creates more wind.

Thanks everyone for the comments! I am a big coffee drinker, tho keeping it to two cups (okay, mugs...) in the morning now usually with home made almond milk (may switch to coconut milk instead). 

@ Melinaka I'd never heard of the sulfa allergy and will check that out!  

And will definitely try that yoga pose.  

Just started a food log at the weekend so as to track these things better -- hoping it will show the pattern. 

Thanks again! 

Paleontology -- LOL at autocorrect in my previous post.  :lol:  

jmcbn posted the link I was referring to. Another good source is from Monash University. They are measuring the FODMAPS and updating with new foods.

FODMAPs are additive, and I think of it like a points system. The points accumulate so for example if I eat some cabbage I won't eat another FODMAP in the same meal. Or I eat less of the cabbage and a small portion of another FODMAP food. It might be that the dried fruit and nuts tipped you over threshold, and if avoided something like onions wouldn't normally bother you. Just an example. 

It's very individual, you'll need to test. And also test the types of FODMAPs, fructan vs polyol vs GOS, for example. You're not limited to low FODMAP forever, just until things are figured out and it doesn't take long.

And keep an eye on the coffee and fake milks. Many contain various 'gums' to thicken and keep things in suspension. Some of those are problematic for FODMAP'ers. Just read the labels, know what you're consuming, and keep track. 

Your comments about dried fruit of any kind and beer and pasta sound just like me.  I have a sulfa allergy.  Look into it.  I get the same symptoms and sulfa and like-family preservatives are always the common denominator for me.  Sulfa is even in medications and vitamins.  It's naturally occurring in wine and beer. Sorry you're having trouble.  Hope that you find your answer!

Do you mean sulfites? I'm allergies to sulfa antibiotics, but I think that's different than sulfites. I don't have a problem with those...

I just started my first W30 on Monday (the 15th) and was happy to find this thread.

I was dx'd with IBS at age 17 (I'm 50) and now think it might be SIBO caused. I was no/low FODMAP for about a month before starting my W30. I felt so good the first 3 days of this week I mistakenly thought I'd add FODMAPSs to my diet and "just" do the W30 and worry about the FODMAPs later. Not a good plan. As already stated, FODMAPs have a cumulative effect. Eating a little bit here and there may not be enough to cause symptoms. But after a few days, it all adds up and bingo: symptoms! 

I think onions bother me a lot (and are super hard to avoid!), but I had a few apple chips today, with apples as the only ingredient (I know, probably not the best choice while on W30) and those tipped me over the edge.

Interestingly, almonds don't seem to be much of a problem for me, but maybe as long as they are the only FODMAP I'm ingesting. (and you will see different nuts in different FODMAP categories on various lists...I've seen almonds given the "yellow light" and cashews given the "red light".) Some people do well by soaking nuts for a minimum of 12 hours, then roasting them or dehydrating them before use. This may be why my homemade almond milk doesn't bother me.

I didn't get complete relief by just avoiding FODMAPs, but adding the W30 to the mix seemed to bring relief. So I will go back to avoiding FODMAPs throughout the rest of my W30 and then decide which food to test first. It feels very complicated.

Food journaling can be helpful (and I do it) but with FODMAPs, the symptoms don't always occur right away...sometimes not until days later. So I think the best course is to avoid them until your symptoms go away and then add one food from one of the FODMAP groups back to your diet and wait and see.

Oh, a lot of stores carry garlic infused olive oil. The FODMAPs are not oil soluble so it is technically a good choice. I love it in all recipes calling for garlic. And the green part of scallions (green onions) is safe as well and impart a nice onion flavor to most things.

I can't tolerate carbonated drinks, they definitely cause bloating for me.

The yoga pose mentioned above is also referred to as Legs up the Wall :D and I, too, love it! It helps.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - I am experiencing similar issues and am really really hoping it's not linked to FODMAPs, I have an undying passion for avocado, roasted brocolli and sprouts.

I am on day 12 of my third whole 30. I remember from the previous two that it takes me a long while to feel better (I'm a coeliac so gluten free anyway but fell off the no sugar wagon in a big way post my second W30.)

I've never tolerated a lot of dairy that well (lattes and soft cheese give me almost instant bloat, but somehow icecream is ok!) but apart from that (and gluten, obviously) I've never noticed sensitivity to any food group. Since around about day 7 I've been having major bloating and bubbling and sensitivity after eating dinner, and sometimes lunch. I've had red onion for breakfast every day this week and no issues, so would that rule out FODMAP sensitivity? Rough food outline:

M1: 2 scrambled eggs with red onions, red peppers, courgette, asparagus and kale/spinach all sauted in a large spoon of coconut oil

Black coffee

M2: Large mixed leaves (watecress, rocket, etc) salad with peppers, spring onions, parsley, capers, leftover roasted brocolli and sometimes sweet potato and either a tin of tuna or homemade salmon gravlax (no sugar) Dressing made of white vinegar, compliant mustard, kombucha and EVOO.

M3: Two small fillets of baked cod, or one pan fried salmon fillet, or a palm sized serving of prawns with steamed kale, roasted brocolli or sprouts in coconut oil, whatever salad bits are kicking around in the fridge. Sometimes a poached egg on top too. Dressing a kind of tahini mixed with W30 mayo and lemon juice dressing.

Throughout the day I drink a lot of water. I would say probably 3 litres, as well as herbal (peppermint or roibos) tea. I've had a couple of hangover feeling days thrown in the mix but both times I had a piece of fruit and felt better (maybe a blood sugar thing?) I don't eat meat but fish and seafood are fine.

Not very active at the moment, long hours sitting at a desk but sleep is usually 8 hours. The tummy troubles are occuring straight after dinner and a sometimes after lunch too. This week I have had no nuts apart from macadamias in a homemade pesto with courgetti (only used about a tablespoonful), and the only fruit was an apple after lunch yesterday.

Does this sound like it could still be adjusting/bacteria dying off in my digestive system? Or more likely to be reacting to something? I don't remember feeling this uncomfortable either of the last times but then we do have a tendency to just remember the positives don't we?!

Thanks in advance for any insight! :)

Archived