I need to eat HOW much fat?!

I'm not afraid of dietary fat. I've got a good relationship with it as a nutrient, and understand that healthy fats are critical for my body to operate properly. Making my own ghee is a process I look forward to, and I love cooking with animal fats.

The problem is that I don't have a gallbladder, which means I can't digest the stuff properly anymore since I can't concentrate bile. I'm only on the second day of my very first Whole30, and things have been... interesting. I spent the entire morning tapering into the late afternoon in what we can politely refer to as "gastrointestinal distress." Anyone who lacks (or knows someone who lacks) a gallbladder will know exactly what I'm talking about.

My question is, do I really need to be eating the full amount of fat recommended in the program, i.e. both cooking fat AND 1-2 additional servings at every single meal? My body literally cannot handle it. This happens anytime that I eat a large amount of fat in one sitting, and has ever since 2007, when I had the organ removed. (When I had my gallbladder, it wasn't a problem.)

Has anyone with the same lack of gallbladder found less problematic fats? The taste and texture of avocados are absolute anathema to me, so that option is off the table, as it were. I also avoid sesame oil, because for some reason my digestive tract REALLY hates that one.

You might need to work up to it a little if you've previously been eating much lower fat amounts. Just keep in mind this could leave you hungry, or constipated, ask for help if you don't feel right.

Some people have especially liked coconut but everyone's digestion is different so you may need to some experimenting with portions and types.

Some people also take supplements. You may want to discuss with your doctor.

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/33374-anyone-else-lacking-a-gallbladder/

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/162-whole30-without-a-gallbladder/

Sorry it took me so long to reply! I made bone broth the other day and ended up in bed with a whanging great headache. I suspect that I'm sensitive to free glutamates, because that laid me flat out (and happened the last time I made the stuff, too). Also left me unable to eat the four servings of leftovers I have because the dish used the broth; I tried a few bites earlier and ended up with another headache almost immediately. :(

I seem to do ok with coconut. Animal fats seem to be the worst these days, for some reason, at least in those quantities. When I still had my gallbladder I never had issues, but after it came out, there seems to be this threshold that I just can't go over. The fact is that my body can no longer produce the appropriate scenario for optimal fat digestion, so I will definitely speak with my doctor about a supplement to help me manage the situation. I wasn't aware that supplementation was possible!

I did a forum search for "gallbladder," but for some reason that post didn't turn up. Thanks for the link!

Sometimes you'll get better results on Google as it has a more powerful search. Try whole30 gallbladder
There's also a comment here from Melissa about gallbladders: http://whole9life.com/2011/08/success-story-andrea/

Although the gallbladder is gone, the liver helps to process fats too, so have a chat with your doctor, your liver might be having a hard time and need some help.

If you have a reaction to bone broth it could also be histamine.

I will do! I was perusing the linked thread about gallbladder issues and saw that mentioned. I have an appointment with my doctor in three weeks, and will talk to him about it. The only reason I want to wait until then is because he already has me on a number of supplements, I expect to be put on some more and hopefully have my Armour dose raised (he's a naturopath and I have thyroid problems), and we're also waiting for a ton of tests to come back, so I just want to make sure it will all work nicely together.

In the meantime, vegetable fats seem to treat me better than large influxes of animal fats. So, I think I will try adding some almond butter or coconut milk to each meal, or some nuts, and gradually beginning to replace portions of those servings with the animal fats until I find a happy equilibrium that I can maintain until a supplement can be worked into my regimen. 

• Moderators

I will do! I was perusing the linked thread about gallbladder issues and saw that mentioned. I have an appointment with my doctor in three weeks, and will talk to him about it. The only reason I want to wait until then is because he already has me on a number of supplements, I expect to be put on some more and hopefully have my Armour dose raised (he's a naturopath and I have thyroid problems), and we're also waiting for a ton of tests to come back, so I just want to make sure it will all work nicely together.

In the meantime, vegetable fats seem to treat me better than large influxes of animal fats. So, I think I will try adding some almond butter or coconut milk to each meal, or some nuts, and gradually beginning to replace portions of those servings with the animal fats until I find a happy equilibrium that I can maintain until a supplement can be worked into my regimen. 

If they work for you, olives and avocado are other good non-animal fat sources -- and if you have any sugar dragon type issues, they're less likely to cause sugar cravings than nuts and coconut do for some people. 

Unfortunately, I have major textural issues with both of them that I can't get past (plus I can't stand the taste of avocado). I'm fine with olive oil, but I can't stand the weird resist-then-squeaky-spongy-chewy thing that olives do :(

I might be able to do avocado oil if I could hide it in something.

Archived