Side Stitches/ Cramps

Gina Marie

i'm on day 17 of my first Whole 30. and i feel awesome and all that. except last 2 days i've been getting side cramps. like feeling like i sprinted but all i did was walk to the bus stop. 

i managed to get through crossfit last night but it was mostly lifting and not much running so it wasn't an issue but a little weird that i get it walking to the bus stop / water cooler... a few steps. 

Today's food:

Meal 1: a little cauliflower rice, little ground beef stir fry, 2 hard boiled eggs. cup of coffee

Meal 2: good sized salad, with chicken breast grilled in ghee, roasted red peppers 1 hard boiled egg, a bit of dressing (homemade: lite oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard). and not even 1/2 tsp of coconut oil in coffee after lunch. 

am i eating too much? too much fat? i upped my fat intake a bit in the last few days b/c i wasn't feeling full and satisfied after meals and felt the need to snack. so now i'm not snacking or hungry... but getting these side stitches. Any help?  

• Moderators

According to Wikipedia side stiches are not food related...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch

I was going to ask if you'd been salting your food because sometimes low sodium can cause weird reactions... and when we remove processed food, we often remove all our intake of sodium if we don't salt our food.

I've also heard that low potassium can cause problems for cramping (not stitches)...

I answered in your other thread before seeing this. I will say that eating the wrong foods CAN cause side stitches, with "side stitches" kinda being a term to describe a set of symptoms really. "Pain in my gut/side, under the diaphragm".

Years ago when I ate gluten, grains, almond butters, nuts, or tough to digest foods before a run I'd get gut pain, what I used to call side stitches. Nowadays I get them from being out of breath, running too fast, and yes sometimes I still eat the wrong foods. Once I ate too much bacon before a long run....ugh the pain was awful. 

So while I don't know what your side stitches feel like in relation to mine, your preWO food is something to consider and experiment with. Along with electrolyte intake (good point SugarcubeOD!) and hydration. 

yeah i think its dehydration. i probably didn't drink enough water over the weekend. at my desk i'm just sitting there with a water bottle so it's easier.  what is Sugarcube OD? i didn't really have any craving issues or side affects. i didn't eat terribly or eat too many processed foods before W30, the processed foods or non W30 foods i ate was quinoa and peanuts. and the occasional beer(s) s. 

• Moderators

You are not eating too much. You are not eating too much fat. In fact, I don't think you are eating enough veggies. The problem with salads is there is hardly anything left after you chew and swallow. 

Study the meal planning template and look at increasing your food intake. Don't think that you will gain weight if you eat as much as we advise. Your metabolism slows down when you eat too little and makes weight loss challenging. When you eat enough, your metabolism speeds up and fat loss becomes easier. 

The only stitches I know about are the ones the doctor gives you to close a cut. :) 

Archived