FODMAP Question

bigmamabird

Hi everyone!

Day 7 here and I have some questions about FODMAP.

Back in the last week of January our family of six was hit with a nasty stomach bug.  We've been passing it back and forth and now everyone seems (cross fingers and pray!!) to be better.     Except me.  I start Whole30 while I was still experiencing symptoms but just the very tail end.  The last two days I have been having some severe stomach aches an hour or so after eating.

I searched around the forum and found out about FODMAP.  Seeings how I love onions, garlic and tomatoes, that sounds like a nighmare!!  I never had any sensitivities to any of the foods listed before.  Could it be that the lingering bug plus all this new dense food is just doing a number on me?  Or could I really have an issue with these foods?

Since I know someone will ask, here are my meals for the last two days.

M1:  Sweet Potato Apple Hash, Pork Sausage Patties x3, 1/8th Cantaloupe

M2:  Spaghetti Squash, Ground Beef, Tomato Sauce, Blackberries

M3:  Carrot/Potato/Onions (from Brisket) Chicken Sausage, Apple, Almond Butter

Monday

M1:  Scrambled eggs x3, Pork Sausage Patties x3

M2:  Butternut Squash Soup, Chicken Sausage Link, Blackberries

M3:  Pork Chop, Sweet Potato Fries, Lemon Garlic Green Beans

Tuesday

M1:  Scrambled eggs x3, Salsa, Chicken Sausage Link, 1/8 Cantaloupe

M2:  Pork Chop, Carrots/Onion/Potato (from Brisket)

M3:  Kaluah Pork, Lemon Garlic Green Beans, Blueberries

Hi everyone!

Day 7 here and I have some questions about FODMAP.

Back in the last week of January our family of six was hit with a nasty stomach bug.  We've been passing it back and forth and now everyone seems (cross fingers and pray!!) to be better.     Except me.  I start Whole30 while I was still experiencing symptoms but just the very tail end.  The last two days I have been having some severe stomach aches an hour or so after eating.

I searched around the forum and found out about FODMAP.  Seeings how I love onions, garlic and tomatoes, that sounds like a nighmare!!  I never had any sensitivities to any of the foods listed before.  Could it be that the lingering bug plus all this new dense food is just doing a number on me?  Or could I really have an issue with these foods?

Since I know someone will ask, here are my meals for the last two days.

M1:  Sweet Potato Apple Hash, Pork Sausage Patties x3, 1/8th Cantaloupe

M2:  Spaghetti Squash, Ground Beef, Tomato Sauce, Blackberries

M3:  Carrot/Potato/Onions (from Brisket) Chicken Sausage, Apple, Almond Butter

Monday

M1:  Scrambled eggs x3, Pork Sausage Patties x3

M2:  Butternut Squash (debatable) Soup, Chicken Sausage Link, Blackberries

M3:  Pork Chop, Sweet Potato Fries, Lemon Garlic Green Beans

Tuesday

M1:  Scrambled eggs x3, Salsa, Chicken Sausage Link, 1/8 Cantaloupe

M2:  Pork Chop, Carrots/Onion/Potato (from Brisket)

M3:  Kaluah Pork, Lemon Garlic Green Beans, Blueberries

Yes, and yes.

I've highlighted the high FODMAP foods so as you can see the offending items. The things is is that FODMAPs have a cumulative effect and so you may be able to tolerate certain amounts of certain foods in a single meal, or a single day, but when you continue to eat them a build up of the sugars occurs in your system which you body struggles to absorb. Everyone's tolerance levels are different so it really is a case of n=1

Of course it could just be that lingering bug working it's way out of your system.

My approach would be to limit the FODMAPs until I was feeling better & then start adding them back in just to be sure.

As for those foods you feel you will miss? I am perfectly fine with baby plum/cherry tomatoes on the vine, I use the green parts of spring onions in lieu of actual onions & I use garlic infused oils - where there's a will there's a way!  ;)

Archived