Sign in to follow this  
allieveg

Vegetarian Whole30

Being a vegetarian (who DOES eat fish) I am confused on a few points from the Whole30 guidelines and shopping list. If someone could clarify, I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. So, no almond milk, whatsoever? Only coconut milk, & coconut water?

2. No snacking? Meaning, eating fruits and/or veggies in between meals isn't recommended?

3. Since Whole30 is all about NO legumes or grains, should I not be eating tofu or tempeh, even though it's on the vegetarian shopping list? It's a little contradicting. I know I need protein, which I can get from fish, but then I am scared of too much fish (aka mercury).

4. As a vegetarian, is protein from fish & eggs plenty? Or, should I be taking supplements?

Thank you!

I am on day 3 & would love to hear these answers before I get more involved in the Whole30 program!

Allie, i don't want to disrespect your label, but if you eat fish and eggs...you're really more of a very selective omnivore. This actually makes things a whole lot easier for you from a protein requirement perspective. Here are the answers to your questions:

a) If you can find almond milk in the store with no forbidden ingredients, you can have it. As far as i know, none exist. The alternative is to make it yourself, but it's incredibly time consuming. I've always just opted out of milk replacements (not including coconut milk) during my w30s, because it wasn't worth the trouble. I don't miss them.

B) If you have to snack, snack...but we really encourage you to try to get away from it. Try to eat enough at the standard 3 meals that you don't require it. If it's a choice between snacking on something compliant or running to the donut shop because you're starving...have some carrots and salmon.

c) The "Whole30 for vegetarians" recommendations are very upfront about not being optimal. They're more as optimal as you can get, given your restrictions. That's why there's a contradiction on the Whole30 mantra vs. what's on the veg*n shopping list; M&D have made concessions for the veg*n population so they can still participate and see some benefit from the program. It is just not ideal.

How much fish and eggs are you eating in a normal day? because you eat those, I would say you should ignore the veggie shopping list and just stick to those.

Oh, the mercury concern is only really a concern in fish where there is an imbalance between mercury levels and selenium levels. Selenium binds to mercury and makes it not absorbable/inert. There are very few fish that have higher mercury levels than selenium levels: mako shark, swordfish are two common ones. Tuna, salmon, mackerel and most of the other common guys have 2x the amt of selenium than mercury, so you're good to go with those

4) Depends on how much you're eating and how frequently. The body's essential requirement of protein is actually pretty low (note: essential, not ideal), so if you're having eggs daily and fish 3 days a week, you're almost definitely okay...unless you tell me that you have elite athletic goals

The alternative is to make it yourself, but it's incredibly time consuming

Renee, I like everything you had to say except this. Almond milk is very easy and quick to make--at least if you are counting active time to make it. Soak your almonds overnight, blend them well, strain the milk. add a pinch of salt and/or vanilla if you like. done.

that said, since I stopped having smoothies every morning, I almost never make almond milk anymore. On the very rare occasion I want a "milk-like" substance I use canned coconut milk.

at least if you are counting active time to make it. Soak your almonds overnight, blend them well, strain the milk. add a pinch of salt and/or vanilla if you like. done.

Yeah, I'm not counting active time. It's just a very long time from the initial, "I want something milk-like" to actually being able to drink it. I'll have moved on by time it's actually done...and then what? I have a bunch of almond milk for nothing. It's always been better for me to just ignore the yen for milk. (not to mention that particular yen has never been very strong for me)

Pretty sure "So Delicious" brand makes almond milk with no sweeteners, no carrageenan, uses guar gum ( acceptable for W30) and it's available in the cartons that you only need to refrigerate after opening. The only thing I use "milk" for is coffee and canned coconut milk is way creamier for that use !

On 9/26/2012 at 8:50 AM, Renee Lee said:

Allie, i don't want to disrespect your label, but if you eat fish and eggs...you're really more of a very selective omnivore. This actually makes things a whole lot easier for you from a protein requirement perspective. Here are the answers to your questions:

a) If you can find almond milk in the store with no forbidden ingredients, you can have it. As far as i know, none exist. The alternative is to make it yourself, but it's incredibly time consuming. I've always just opted out of milk replacements (not including coconut milk) during my w30s, because it wasn't worth the trouble. I don't miss them.

B) If you have to snack, snack...but we really encourage you to try to get away from it. Try to eat enough at the standard 3 meals that you don't require it. If it's a choice between snacking on something compliant or running to the donut shop because you're starving...have some carrots and salmon.

c) The "Whole30 for vegetarians" recommendations are very upfront about not being optimal. They're more as optimal as you can get, given your restrictions. That's why there's a contradiction on the Whole30 mantra vs. what's on the veg*n shopping list; M&D have made concessions for the veg*n population so they can still participate and see some benefit from the program. It is just not ideal.

How much fish and eggs are you eating in a normal day? because you eat those, I would say you should ignore the veggie shopping list and just stick to those.

Oh, the mercury concern is only really a concern in fish where there is an imbalance between mercury levels and selenium levels. Selenium binds to mercury and makes it not absorbable/inert. There are very few fish that have higher mercury levels than selenium levels: mako shark, swordfish are two common ones. Tuna, salmon, mackerel and most of the other common guys have 2x the amt of selenium than mercury, so you're good to go with those

4) Depends on how much you're eating and how frequently. The body's essential requirement of protein is actually pretty low (note: essential, not ideal), so if you're having eggs daily and fish 3 days a week, you're almost definitely okay...unless you tell me that you have elite athletic goals

The correct term for an individual who does not eat "meat" but only fish is: Pescetarian

Many Pescetarians just say Vegetarian because it is just easier. Though I also respect any label anyone gives themselves as well. Usually I don't chime in on such points but I am one, and it is a bit different then just being a selective omnivore for many reasons.

Ugh hate to chime in but felt the term should be known. Link here to show I am not a crazy head (at least about this lol):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism