My "Worth It" Probably Wasn't

junit_jess

I completed my first Whole30 in January and did the full 12-day reintroduction for legumes, non-gluten grains, dairy, and gluten.  During the reintroduction I found there were some things I was willing to live with (such as a little gas for the occasional peanut butter (my favorite food)) and some things I was not (such as a full-force return of allergy symptoms and post-nasal drip after dairy reintroduction).  I decided that my new normal was going to be "Whole30ish," no dairy, gluten, grains, or alcohol most of the time, allowing myself to go off-plan maybe once a week for a small treat or something I declare "worth it."

Saturday my husband made plans for a double date at my favorite Indian restaurant (despite my reluctance) and I decided my favorite meal there was "worth it."  My mouth burned a little when I started eating (which it had never done before) and I stubbornly ignored the warning sign and continued to eat (though I ate much less than I would have pre-Whole30).  My meal was delicious and I felt a little gassy afterwards, which I expected.  Later that night I had terrible stomach cramps and got sick the next day.  I regretted my decision but figured it was a learning experience and I would feel better in time, especially given that I was back to Whole30ish (if not a little more strict) right after my off-roading.

Well...my off-plan meal was Saturday and today (Wednesday) I am still having bad stomach cramps and nausea.  I haven't had any other digestive issues but in general I feel awful.  I will definitely think twice (or more) before having this meal again, but my question is this: are "recovery" times of 4+ days common after an off-plan meal?  I'm starting to think nothing is worth that for me.

• Moderators

Four days is a long time to still have symptoms related to a meal. When I have had a reaction to something, it was typically over within 24-36 hours. I wonder if there was some food contamination at the restaurant, although even then I would think you would be getting back to normal after 4 days. 

I did have a 4 day reaction once.

I went to an Ethiopian restaurant for a girls night.  Food was phenomenally delicious.  But I had grains, legumes, red wine, heavy spices (I love heavy spices but it does not love me back) mead (honey wine) and some sort dessert.  I literally had a 4 day hangover....

I came to the conclusion that yes I would go there again (again, the food was excellent) but I would drop the wine, and the dessert, and maybe try to avoid the legumes even though legumes are a big part of Ethiopian food. 

I had rice, chicken tikka masala, and some plain naan which I know contained dairy, heavy spices, soy, grains, and gluten.  It was probably not the smartest first off-plan meal but I am starting to get a little worried; I'm not pregnant or currently experiencing PMS or menstruating and 4+ days of cramps and nausea is not fun.  I don't think it was food contamination as my sickness resulted in only one, I guess I'll say, episode and no one else at the meal got sick.  I'll keep an eye on it, though.  I intended to be Whole30ish with the occasional off-road but feeling this ill has made me a little scared of off-plan stuff, which is neither healthy nor the point of the program.  Hopefully its a fluke and I haven't scared anyone else here off of their "worth it" stuff.  

There's off plan and then there's off the rails, down the slope and off the cliff. Sounds like you gave your body a lot to deal with all at once and it said, "listen to me: No thanks!"

So maybe next time moderate the off roading a little bit so you can find a happy medium.

If it's gluten I get a reaction for a lot longer than 4 days and the bigger the dose the longer it lasts, it's worse if I have dairy as well.

Once your body starts to associate the bad feelings with that food, you may find it really drops in appeal. Now I can enjoy the smell of gluten baked items just like I would a perfume or something, but I don't want to eat them.

• 4 weeks later...

I have Celiac and if I accidentally eat gluten a 4+ day reaction is the norm for me. It may be a week before I feel completely back to normal. Because of this I never cheat. Ever. I have friends who are gluten free and cheat occasionally, but having the equivalent of a 4-7 day stomach virus with insomnia is basically my personal idea of hell so I steer clear.

Personal anecdotes aside, my point is that you may be having a problem with gluten or otherwise be having a severe reaction to some aspect of your meal.

Archived