Give me an elaborate meal

pistolabella

I know typically people come to the forum to look for meal-prep questions, easy dinners, make-ahead breakfasts, etc. (and I have, too). However. my boyfriend and I are true foodies...used to cooking most days, and on the weekend, at least once, rolling up our sleeves, turning on the music, making a cocktail and making a dinner that's a little more special and a little more involved. This weekend I'm having a small dinner party and would love some menu suggestions that will let me recapture that favorite relaxing hobby! I've cooked plenty of DELICIOUS whole30 dinners, but give me some suggestions for dishes I can make when I'm ready to spend a couple hours in the kitchen for one special meal? What should I make when i have an afternoon in the kitchen while I'm sippin' my LaCroix and listening to Van Morrison ? All cooking methods, meats, courses and types of food are welcome!

ETA  - this will be for about 5 people, a mix of current Whole30 and also paleo eaters. A few "options" are fine but I'd prefer to have items that anyone will enjoy, since it's a small group.

The semi sabich from Well Fed 2 would be a great option for guests. Pay attention to all the garnishes and sauces, and you can make the plate very pretty. I made it tonight. I recommend going a little thicker on the eggplant slices than 1/4", which comes out very thin, and you'll need multiple baking sheets to make enough for 5 people.

http://balancingpaleo.com/2013/11/01/semi-sabich-from-well-fed-2/

• 4 weeks later...

@ taraavo: I can relate, I love to cook myself. A bit late but perhaps for your next dinner party:

I'd think most Medi-type cuisines are game..

Spanish tapas:  tortilla with lemon caper sauce, pulpo de gallego, stuffed pimentos with salted cod, garlic shrimp, etc.

what about a cauli-rice paella dish to cap it off - mussels, shrimp, etc..!

Or Greek:          Seafood antipasti/salad followed by garlicky roast leg of lamb and greek potatoes

Enjoy!

Btw, what did you cook up in the end?

• 3 weeks later...

If I had a lot of time, I'd make homemade gyros. For me on whole30, I'd eat it on a Greek type salad with olives and compliant tzatziki (or maybe just mayo with Greek spices) and roasted or grilled veggies. Paleo Takeout has a compliant gyro meat recipe that is amaaaaazing.

Or lasagna made from scratch because I love lasagna (but I probably would avoid it personally for my W30)

Now I'm dreaming of a Greek gyro salad.

Archived