Healthy Habits when working 13 hour days

corirae

I did my first Whole30 in August and have done another since, and I've very much adopted a paleo lifestyle that I love!

When I did my Whole30s, I worked one job, 9-5. I recently picked up a second job and will sometimes be awake from 5 am - 11 pm minimum, only to do it all again the next day. One of my greatest NSV's was learning the importance of 8-9 hours of sleep, but unfortunately, that's just not possible every day of the week now. Combined with the irregularity of schedule (the second job is as a barista, so I rarely work the same shifts week to week), I'm in "paleo emergency mode," trying to make up for lost sleep.

Unfortunately, I realize that sleep is the cornerstone to a healthy lifestyle, and one can't out-supplement a lack of sleep.

Any suggestions for me and others who maybe have to work odd or long hours? I already have gotten super strict with my diet (once sleep is compromised, you've just got to make sure you're squeaky clean and doing good things for your body in other ways), take a Vitamin D and Magnesium supplement, and go decaf (or just no caffeine, like herbal tea or water) after 12 pm. Perhaps more water? Or bulking up on sleep when I do have time off?

Sending good health and vibes out to everyone on a Whole30!

Archived