First Whole30, uncertain about meal timing

onlyifchased

Hi everyone!  I have a slightly unusual work schedule (6:30am-3pm), and I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to use the meal template. I understand the rules are to eat a meal within an hour of waking, eat every 4-5 hours, eat 3 meals, and don't eat right before bed. So even if I stretch my meals to 5 hours I get:

6am: Wake up and eat breakfast

11am: Lunch

4pm: Dinner

10pm: Bed

That can't be right, that's a way early dinner and a lot of time between it and bedtime! Right now normally I eat four meals per day:

3pm: Bonus Meal

7:30pm: Dinner

But on Whole30 you are only supposed to have 3 meals? So would it be better to do a minimeal? This still seems like a long time between dinner and bed to me, but maybe that is supposed to be how it works?

2:30pm: minimeal

6pm: Dinner

On workout days I think what I do now is in line with Whole30 recommendations:

2pm: preworkout snack

6pm: postworkout snack

I train at an Oly gym with limited platforms so often my workouts can take like 3 hours, in addition I live in a city with no car so I walk everywhere I go. Given that I'm pretty active and not really wanting to lose weight, would it be OK to keep eating four meals? Or should I limit one of them to a "minimeal"? Does my workout day schedule look ok?

Thanks everyone, I'm excited and can't wait to start!

• Administrators

3pm: Bonus Meal

On workout days I think what I do now is in line with Whole30 recommendations:

2pm: preworkout snack

6pm: postworkout snack

I train at an Oly gym with limited platforms so often my workouts can take like 3 hours, in addition I live in a city with no car so I walk everywhere I go. Given that I'm pretty active and not really wanting to lose weight, would it be OK to keep eating four meals? Or should I limit one of them to a "minimeal"? Does my workout day schedule look ok?

Both of these options you've posted are suitable and would be in line with Whole30 recommendations. The idea behind the 3 meals a day is that we don't want people snacking (3 small meals, 2 snacks & bedtime snacking that is typical in western culture).

Your timing and activity situation sounds like a fourth meal or mini meal (depending on how you feel and on you doing some experimenting to see how you feel best) is completely fine.

Both of these options you've posted are suitable and would be in line with Whole30 recommendations. The idea behind the 3 meals a day is that we don't want people snacking (3 small meals, 2 snacks & bedtime snacking that is typical in western culture).

Your timing and activity situation sounds like a fourth meal or mini meal (depending on how you feel and on you doing some experimenting to see how you feel best) is completely fine.

Thank you! I will try out a minimeal but I suspect four meals will feel a lot better. It's good to know there's some flexibility here. 

Archived